Redken Guts 10 root volumizing foam spray

Redken Guts 10 root volumizing foam spray
Guts 10 root volumizing foam spray

3.9

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

I am fortunate to only need to wash my hair every other or every third day... unless I use this product. As others have said before me, it leaves the hair greasy and matted unless you are willing, or need, to wash your hair daily. For my hair type (which is fine, but I have a lot of it), it did provide a bit more volume, but as the day wore on the greasy feeling set in, and the volume greatly depleted (no amount of back combing helped!). I have grown accustomed to getting two/three days worth of wear out of styling it on day one, so no more using this product for me.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

First, let me say that if you use this product you will absolutely have to wash your hair every day. The day after I used this my hair felt so dirty and literally matted down at the roots that I didn't think I get through the day without shampooing. It was bad.
And, it really isn't even that volumizing. In order to see a real difference in volume you have to use a lot of it, which of course leads to the gross greasy hair problem. No thanks.

on 1/9/2016 3:44:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

I'm on the fence with this one. I suppose I could do without it and be just fine. I have medium textured fine hair that's very soft and lacks volume. This adds some touchable lift to my hair but no more than a round brush. I found that I have to put it in my hair when it's pretty wet though or it becomes almost impossible to comb through while blow drying. Normally my hair air dries fairly quick but with this product, it seems to stay wetter at the roots longer.

I saw on some little sign about this product at Ulta that said it reduces frizz. An interesting claim but it doesn't for me. I still need to add my It's a 10 leave in. I use this product by sectioning a horseshoe shape around my head and spraying at the part line. It's best not to be overly generous with this product as it is sticky and will turn on you.

If I don't use this product, my hair feels lighter and is less full looking. I originally went to Ulta for a texturizing spray but couldn't find what I wanted so I went with this. I know they're not the same thing; although the mousse does add some grip to my hair when I curl it and seems to hold it well. A positive that it does have, is it seems to keep my style fairly well in the humidity. If it does well in the summer, I may reconsider my feelings towards it.

Maybe I'm not a fan of mousse. This is the third one I've tried and the second spray version. Nothing has been life changing so far.

on 1/1/2016 9:43:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

This worked well for me a few years back, but have since given it up because Redken/L'Oreal products are tested on animals and I cannot support that.

on 10/9/2015 9:04:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I have a ton of hair products..i am a girly girl with a craving to find the "perfect" anything...any product..so i buy..alot...too much probably..but i digress..

this is something i have bought for years. years! I have tried other root lifters..but i ALWAYS come back to GUTS...i just spray a bit at my roots..i work in sections...dont spray too much or it gets icky...and blow dry..now...i do have some layers..i think long hair would just weigh it down no matter what..but this will last all day long....into the next day!! yup..I am an ever other day washer.. but for me...this works like nobodies business!! It may seem pricy ( I am really kinda cheap...champagne taste on a beer budget) but I will pay for this. Again and again. the bottle will last too..so over time it works..because i am not out looking for the next best thing.. this IS the next best thing...

on 9/29/2015 9:47:00 AM

i bought this,and i found out,i don't need it often, i have grown long hair, and the hair spray is better..but i think its a good foam, and smart way you spray it diarectly on the hair.Im glad i have it. One of the best foam i have.But the redken hairspray are very good,and strong hold

on 9/25/2015 11:26:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

For reference: Fine hair, shoulder length, long layers.

I was looking for a product to give my hair volume at the roots and decided to try guts. If I sprayed too much at the roots my hair felt sticky and dry. Even with a light spray, the next day my roots felt asomewhat greasy and dry. I wouldn't repurchase.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I got my straggly longish hair cut shorter & my stylist has me on to this! Between this, Glass, Curvaceous creme & Control Addict 28 (Redken), I got all bases covered on this "new" old style 1950s Gwen Stefani inspired retro 'do. I've got naturally curly hair fwiw I either touch up w a 1/4" curling iron or hot rollers & use a hair dryer on high heat & this works so well for me. Natural curls abound! I went from my longer hair looking 2C to now shorter 3A looking hair all thanks to Redken.

on 8/11/2015 5:39:00 PM

I will be returning this product. It left my hair greasy without much in return. I don't feel like it added or held volume even though I teased my roots AFTER using a round brush on top. It was a major flop. I prefer Big Sexy Hair's Powder Play.

on 3/29/2015 10:48:00 AM

I've tried tons of root lifters, mousses, and teasing methods on my fine hair. My hairdresser used this with my last cut, a long bob with layers, and I was amazed at the volume she was able to create! My "baby hair" is difficult to texturize and make voluminous, so I was excited to buy and try this product for myself. My hairdresser noted to only apply this to the roots, as it will dry out the ends of hair, and not to over apply or your hair won't move/will get weighed down and crunchy. She also recommended velvetine gelatine to get bounce and swing, and I've been using that for months. The combination of these two products gives me confidence in my hair, and I avoid looking like I have limp, lifeless hair by using these when I blowdry with a round brush. I would definitely recommend this to anyone with fine, limp hair who is looking to add weightless volume that lasts! I only wish that it was a little cheaper, but you do get your money's worth, and a little product goes a long way.

Popular Styling Products