Perfumer's Workshop Tea Rose

Perfumer's Workshop Tea Rose

3.8

Nauseating. I swear it said when I bought it on amazon they take returns. I’m opening a dispute to get my money back! This made my chest tight like I couldn’t breathe (I occasionally get asthma attacks). I’m sorry to be 1 of the lone dissenters. I love rose Scents like Alrehab but this smells like a wake at a funeral home. UGH just UGH. Wtf. Grade: F

on 4/30/2018 11:49:00 AM

I'm a fragrance slut and could never settle down with even 2 or 3 perfumes, let alone one! But if it were truly desert-island time, I'd pick Tea Rose over all the others. It's just so "me." A hyperrealistic, simple, dewy magenta rose soliflore you can dress up or down-- gorgeous but effortless. Tea Rose was created in the '70s (as was I!) as a slap in the face to pretentious, complicated perfumes. It rode high on the hippie essential-oils vibe at the time, and with its linear simplicity, it has much in common with classic Arabian rose attars and European rosewater treatments.

Because Perfumers Workshop is still in existence and still committed to its mission, the formula hasn't changed significantly since the '70s (perhaps a bit less strong d/t IFRA restrictions on ingredients). It's still highly concentrated, even for an EDT; I use very light tappings sprays on my neck and 1 full spray on my wrists and I am scented for the day! There is a mood-lifting, lovely, serene waft of roses coming from my person that isn't at all overwhelming, but is still delightful.

I suppose it's fair to call this "old-lady" in the sense that soliflores (especially rose) aren't popular right now and that many older women do make this their signature. However, there's nothing inherently geriatric at all about a fresh-picked rose-- it's the epitome of springtime and youth. Any woman of any age can claim this as their scent and smell absolutely gorgeous in it. BTW I had an 80-yo neighbor once who wore Tea Rose every day and she was a badass. She had been a high school principal in a really tough neighborhood, she swore and talked about sex very frankly, and she once fended off a robber in her home by whacking him over the head with a vase. Somehow the scent provided a nice counterpoint to all that :)

You can get a 4-oz bottle of EDT that will probably last you into the next life, for under $10 from numerous online sellers or at TJ's/Marshalls. What's not to like? If you don't want to wear it yourself, it's a great air freshener, linen spray, or bath additive. One note, there is an EDP version of this and I actually don't like it as much as the plain old EDT. It isn't any more concentrated, but it does smell less green and fresh than the EDT and there is a urine note that emerges in the EDP that kind of kills it for me.

I bought this after reading reviews and may I say it is the only GREAT blind buy that I have ever made . This is a work of art , a timeless womanly scent and very balanced. Many years ago it was a pricey product , but it is not a pittance that smells EXPENSIVE. If you like roses, you can't go wrong .

Tea Rose has light sillage, meaning those sitting near you might get a slight whiff , but it is delicate and not an in your face frag like Opium or Addict .I think it would elicit compliments, but not annoy those who detest perfume. I would feel safe wearing it near those people who whine about being sensitive to perfume .It has perfect sillage and also is LASTING .

May I suggest buying it for a friend or loved one as a gift ? I bought one for me , and one for another friend who is in the hospital now . It is a classy fragrance that would appeal to a broad spectrum of women.

Finally , since I am writing about classic fragrances that are fantastic values , I might add that another two that are equally beautiful are Tojours Moi , and Fancy Love ( Jessica Simpson ). I have purchased many bottles of Diors, Guerlains , and Chanels, but can assure the readers that these fragrances are as lovely as the most expensive potions that have ever been created , and also have been praised by perfumers as outstanding fragrances .

on 8/25/2016 12:18:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Cool

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

I really wanted to like the scent; it is excellently priced and well formulated. It smells like dewey wet roses and stems. Unfortunately, every time I spray it on my skin I get a headache. I find the scent completely overwhelming. I had to scrub it off right away. I gifted this to my grandma and she is enjoying much more than I did.

on 7/4/2016 10:32:00 PM

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

This is my bedtime perfume. I shower at night and put this on. Husband adores it and it feels like clean lovely sleep to me. I ran out, tried a variety of other fragrances, and ended up back with Tea Rose. Hope they keep making it.

on 8/22/2015 12:31:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm

Strangely, I find this smells great, I will sometimes open the bottle to smell it...but I have no desire for MYSELF to smell like that. It's pretty pure rose, like fresh cut roses in a florist. Smells great. Too strong and one-note for me, though. I found this for super cheap at Marshalls, so I use it to spray rooms sometimes, or like my sink to keep it smelling fresh. A weird use for perfume, maybe, but it works. It's super strong, so even as a room spray I have to be careful not to use more than a few sprays. Dowside: packaging is meh. Why did they have to add coloring to make it look pee-colored? Weird.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Other, Curly, Medium

I too have memories attached to ts scent, so my review is colored by that a bit. I do love all rose scents however, and this one does not dissapoint! This is a clean, soapy rose on me. I never fail to get compliments on how "nice" I smell when wearing this. This reminds me of "Rose Milk" lotion from the 70's. I spent a short time in the states as a child and loved that lotion...this fragrance comes pretty close to that. Simple, clean and pretty. The price is perfect and the huge size allows me to occasionally just scent the air when I am feeling nostalgic. While I love niche fragrances, I think it's good to have a few "feel good" fragrances around too!

on 11/18/2014 10:32:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Grey, Relaxed, Medium

This is the truest rose scent available on the market today, and for an incredibly reasonable price. I wear it every day and always get compliments.

on 10/3/2014 10:34:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

I have been searching several years to find a nice rose perfume at a reasonable price. This fits perfectly. It's one note, strong, pure rose scent. There's no green scent to it, which is the only downside I can think of.

I ordered it on Amazon for 10 dollars and the moment I smelled it I recalled receiving a sample of this when I was about 4 years old with my mother. As kids do, I was want to bathe in it, and my mother had to throw the bottle out to protect her nose. Always wondered what it was, but now I am sure.

My mom passed away last week and I received the perfume a couple days later. It will serve as a nice memory.

I only recommend going super light on application. It's STRONG.

on 9/17/2014 6:22:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Very strong, bargain soliflore (10 usd for 60 ml including shipping) which I purchased for the sole purpose of experimental layering and accentuation of rose notes in other fragrances like serge lutens MKK, Fumerie turque, and ambre sultan and as a rose accord complement to fragrances like CDG Avignon, lorenzo Villarossi garafano and vintage caron bellodgia. I find tea rose to be overwhelming even with just one spray, so I transferred it into a glass bottle with a glass stopper/dabber.

If you historically disliked soliflore rose notes, please don't automatically write this off, especially if you are intrigued by fragrances that contain rose, like amouage lyric, tauer's incense rose or une rose chypre, etc. Until I re sampled Frederic Malle une rose earlier this year, (which I would not have done except for the strong recommendation of a trusted sales associate) I believed that I hated all rose soliflores, and tea rose was especially abhorrent. Tastes obviously change and I now own full bottles of une rose, nahema extrait and l'arte di gucci edp.

So I recommend this fragrance for those formerly resistant to rose notes, like I was, but who are interested in broadening their scent horizons. Before they leap into a pricy bottle of niche fragrance that has a rose accord, I think it's easy to try layering a smidge of this one with a current favorite perfume to achieve a rose oriental, chypre, incense, amber, oud or other effect.

Re whether I would buy this again. I believe that 60 ml or two ounces is a lifetime supply, and i already have more perfume than a single person can consume. If there was a one ounce bottle available, I would have purchased that instead.

But I am exceedingly happy with the purchase.

Popular Fragrances