Perfumer's Workshop Tea Rose

Price: $

on 8/25/2016 12:18:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Cool

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

I really wanted to like the scent; it is excellently priced and well formulated. It smells like dewey wet roses and stems. Unfortunately, every time I spray it on my skin I get a headache. I find the scent completely overwhelming. I had to scrub it off right away. I gifted this to my grandma and she is enjoying much more than I did.

on 7/4/2016 10:32:00 PM

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

This is my bedtime perfume. I shower at night and put this on. Husband adores it and it feels like clean lovely sleep to me. I ran out, tried a variety of other fragrances, and ended up back with Tea Rose. Hope they keep making it.

on 9/17/2014 6:22:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Very strong, bargain soliflore (10 usd for 60 ml including shipping) which I purchased for the sole purpose of experimental layering and accentuation of rose notes in other fragrances like serge lutens MKK, Fumerie turque, and ambre sultan and as a rose accord complement to fragrances like CDG Avignon, lorenzo Villarossi garafano and vintage caron bellodgia. I find tea rose to be overwhelming even with just one spray, so I transferred it into a glass bottle with a glass stopper/dabber.

If you historically disliked soliflore rose notes, please don't automatically write this off, especially if you are intrigued by fragrances that contain rose, like amouage lyric, tauer's incense rose or une rose chypre, etc. Until I re sampled Frederic Malle une rose earlier this year, (which I would not have done except for the strong recommendation of a trusted sales associate) I believed that I hated all rose soliflores, and tea rose was especially abhorrent. Tastes obviously change and I now own full bottles of une rose, nahema extrait and l'arte di gucci edp.

So I recommend this fragrance for those formerly resistant to rose notes, like I was, but who are interested in broadening their scent horizons. Before they leap into a pricy bottle of niche fragrance that has a rose accord, I think it's easy to try layering a smidge of this one with a current favorite perfume to achieve a rose oriental, chypre, incense, amber, oud or other effect.

Re whether I would buy this again. I believe that 60 ml or two ounces is a lifetime supply, and i already have more perfume than a single person can consume. If there was a one ounce bottle available, I would have purchased that instead.

But I am exceedingly happy with the purchase.

This is a beautiful, true, dewy, fresh from the garden bunch of roses. On me there is a slight musk on the drydown. It is also one of the few rose perfumes that don't turn sour on me. However I am not a big fan of single note perfumes. So why have I given it a high rating? I love to wear it to bed, particularly in summer. Some fragrances, particularly rose and jasmine, have a cooling effect that is delightful in hot weather.

Yes this is a sillage monster. I would prefer this came in a roll on rather than a spray as it would be easier to control how much you apply. One of the problems with this fragrance is that it can easily be overapplied and I think this is the reason for some of the low ratings.

This is so cheap that you can use it as a room spray if you don't like it as a perfume. If you love roses, buy this, just remember to apply sparingly.

Edit: Although this is a fairly true tea rose fragrance, it does smell different on individuals depending on their body chemistry. As mentioned above, it smells a little musky on me when it dries down. On my best friend it smells much brighter with a sharp lemony citrus drydown. Even with this fragrance, try before you buy and don't just judge by the way it smells on the paper blotter.

on 2/2/2014 7:15:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Ahhhh, finally! THIS is rose! This is real true rose -- rosebush rose -- like sticking your nose directly into the bloom of a rose and inhaling. When you want to smell fresh roses, this is the perfume you want.

For EDT strength, it's nicely strong and lasting. I'm the type who gets headaches from fresh florals, and I don't wear many florals -- generally preferring orientals & vanillas & musks -- but this does not give me a headache. The Body Shop's Tea Rose perfume oil was much sharper and more inclined to give me a headache.

I was watching the 2004 pre-Oscar show Live, and I saw *the exact moment* when Nicole Kidman (wearing a lavender strapless gown) was told by a reporter/paparazzo that she smelled good, and -- sticking a mic in her face -- he asked her what she was wearing. She replied to him, "Tea Rose -- I've worn it since the 8th grade". (or did she say the 10th grade? ....)

Much was then made of the fact that she had just signed with Chanel to advertise #5 and what was she doing confessing to wearing Tea Rose at the Oscars?

Bravo, Nicole, for telling us what you were wearing, and bravo to the guy who asked her. That should happen on every red carpet -- we want to know what fragrances they're wearing too, reporters! We want to know that! Not just the gowns & the jewelry & the shoes -- we want to know their fragrances too!

A 2oz or 4oz bottle of PW Tea Rose EDT can be bought at TJ Maxx -- or online -- for $8-12. It smells like true rose, it has great strength and sillage, and it's one of the best bargains in all of perfumery.

They say the scent of rose alleviates anxiety and depression -- and personally, I find that to be true. This is the scent of fresh roses. It's an uplifting scent, very satisfying, and I love it.

ADDENDUM 2/5/14: For another true rose perfume -- many years ago, I sniffed Crabtree & Evelyn's "Evelyn Rose" in a store, and it smelled extremely authentically of fresh roses -- just like a fresh rosebush. It's still available on their website, but reviewers say it has been reformulated and does not smell nearly as good or authentic as their original formulation -- which is undoubtedly what I had smelled..

ADDENDUM 2/6/14: I wore Kuumba Made's Arabian Rose perfume oil last night while watching TV. Very true mature large red rose scent. Not tea rose or pink rose, it smelled like a mature red rose in full bloom. Another very nice inexpensive way to enjoy rose.

on 6/28/2013 4:48:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

Wow, this one seems to engender serious emotional responses and not a few negative memory connections! Reading over the reviews, the five previous to my entry here are all colored by memory. I will say upfront that I had no connection with this fragrance prior to trying it. What that means is that, on me, Parfumer's Workshop Tea Rose is a plain, simple tea rose scent that is almost true. I don't know what happened to all the other notes, but I got a basic, simple yellow rose that is fresh and lovely. That's it. Nothing fancy, nothing icky and certainly didn't make anyone sick. Maybe you have to wear a tiny bit. I never wear more than a dab of any perfume. Soaking your skin in this would definitely be too too much, but that goes for almost every fragrance out there.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

Nicole Kidman wears this.
Princess Diana reportedly wore this.

Tea Rose by The Perfumer's Workshop is a real classic. I am extremely delighted to be able to find a bottle in Singapore. 56ml retails for S$9.90 and 125 ml for S$14.50.

Initially, I wasn't used to Tea Rose and it probably wasn't used to me. It smelt like a strong, old, and even dusty rose. There was a strange rubbery note to it. It lasted barely four hours on me and turned mildly sour. I was devastated.

Then, one week later I accompanied my friend to get her bottle of Tea Rose. She spritzed it on and I smelt how wonderfully pink it was. A bouquet of giant pink tea roses in full bloom. From then on, my nose seemed to have cleared and tea rose smelt fantastic on me. Tea roses blooming with a mild bitter edge to it, perhaps the reason why it's called tea rose (tea is bitter?). I have a notion that this smells better in colder climates.

I am happily spraying this almost everyday now as it is simply so gorgeous. When longevity fails me, I'd layer it with Crabtree&Evelyn's rosewater lotion to keep it going for 8-9 hours.

Highly recommend. It's most likely not made of real rose oil but hey, it has achieved such a realistic rose note that even pricier fragrances fail at. If you like roses, you must get this.

on 3/17/2013 3:41:00 PM

Forget all the chi-chi, absurdly over-priced rose niche perfumes. If you want to smell like a genuine tea rose this is the scent you should reach for. The most important thing is ONE spritz between your boobs is all you need. Seriously. That will last you the rest of the day. And you're getting this from someone who likes to spray perfume on like it was air freshner. But with this any more than a small spritz is overkill and it will ruin it for you. It will be too strong, too harsh. Pretty much goes for a song online, these days. I used to wear it ages ago, and I wouldn't hesitate to wear it again.

on 9/2/2012 1:03:00 PM

I have mixed feelings about this fragrance but gave it 4 stars because of it's true tea rose scent, it's insane lasting power and silage, and it's dirt cheap price.

First, I had to transfer 3mls of this fragrance to an old mini perfume bottle with a stopper instead of a spray, I find that even spraying this into the air and walking through it imparts a bit too much of the fragrance onto me because it is monstrously strong. Dabbing it lightly is the only way to go for my personal use. I use so little of this when I do wear it that I'm guessing the giant 100ml bottle I bought for 10$ may go bad before I get event half way through it.

The scent is linear, single note massive strong and true tea rose. It probably is the single strongest rose perfume I've ever smelled. I love rose scents, but this perfume has taught me that I prefer them mixed with other notes rather than on their own. So I use this fragrance primarily for layering, and also as the occasional air freshener (I would probably use it as an air freshener more often if my boyfriend liked rose scents but sadly he does not). I like to mix it with other rose based perfumes that I feel could have a bit more rose, and it works amazingly for that.

I do understand why some people say this reminds them of rotting roses. When used at certain times and usually in large amounts I also detect a hint of this at first, it can be extremely offensive when like this. Fortunately it does not smell rotting to me most of the time. Overall, for what this is, I think this fragrance has a lot to offer. The one thing I would really like to see change is the bottle, it's hideous and cheap looking, they could easily make a more attractive bottle for the same price...

My favorite classic floral scent. It's elegant, yet simple and natural-- fits me better than Grand Compositions like Chanel No 5, Fracas, or Joy. Yep, it's just rose and nothing but. However, the quality of the rose is absolutely perfect, velvety, fresh with dew and greenery-- avoiding the cloying sweetness common to rose scents. Rose oil is used as an antidepressant in aromatherapy, so no surprise that I gravitate to Tea Rose on rainy or difficult days. When applied with proper restraint, this scent gets loads of compliments. I feel pretty... oh so pretty...

But a word about applying with proper restraint. To give you some idea of how strong and concentrated this is, I applied 2 sprays to my chest before bed one night, and the scent of roses lingers in the air and on the sheets a week later. As an experiment, I tried applying the strongest perfumes I own before bed each night this week-- Ciara, Youth-Dew, Eternity and Knowing. Each of them was no match for the trace residue of Tea Rose on my sheets. I couldn't even smell the Yourh-Dew I had applied to both wrists! This stuff is FIERCE!

Popular Fragrances