Perfumer's Workshop Tea Rose

3.8

on 10/3/2014 10:34:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

I have been searching several years to find a nice rose perfume at a reasonable price. This fits perfectly. It's one note, strong, pure rose scent. There's no green scent to it, which is the only downside I can think of.

I ordered it on Amazon for 10 dollars and the moment I smelled it I recalled receiving a sample of this when I was about 4 years old with my mother. As kids do, I was want to bathe in it, and my mother had to throw the bottle out to protect her nose. Always wondered what it was, but now I am sure.

My mom passed away last week and I received the perfume a couple days later. It will serve as a nice memory.

I only recommend going super light on application. It's STRONG.

on 2/2/2014 7:15:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Ahhhh, finally! THIS is rose! This is real true rose -- rosebush rose -- like sticking your nose directly into the bloom of a rose and inhaling. When you want to smell fresh roses, this is the perfume you want.

For EDT strength, it's nicely strong and lasting. I'm the type who gets headaches from fresh florals, and I don't wear many florals -- generally preferring orientals & vanillas & musks -- but this does not give me a headache. The Body Shop's Tea Rose perfume oil was much sharper and more inclined to give me a headache.

I was watching the 2004 pre-Oscar show Live, and I saw *the exact moment* when Nicole Kidman (wearing a lavender strapless gown) was told by a reporter/paparazzo that she smelled good, and -- sticking a mic in her face -- he asked her what she was wearing. She replied to him, "Tea Rose -- I've worn it since the 8th grade". (or did she say the 10th grade? ....)

Much was then made of the fact that she had just signed with Chanel to advertise #5 and what was she doing confessing to wearing Tea Rose at the Oscars?

Bravo, Nicole, for telling us what you were wearing, and bravo to the guy who asked her. That should happen on every red carpet -- we want to know what fragrances they're wearing too, reporters! We want to know that! Not just the gowns & the jewelry & the shoes -- we want to know their fragrances too!

A 2oz or 4oz bottle of PW Tea Rose EDT can be bought at TJ Maxx -- or online -- for $8-12. It smells like true rose, it has great strength and sillage, and it's one of the best bargains in all of perfumery.

They say the scent of rose alleviates anxiety and depression -- and personally, I find that to be true. This is the scent of fresh roses. It's an uplifting scent, very satisfying, and I love it.

ADDENDUM 2/5/14: For another true rose perfume -- many years ago, I sniffed Crabtree & Evelyn's "Evelyn Rose" in a store, and it smelled extremely authentically of fresh roses -- just like a fresh rosebush. It's still available on their website, but reviewers say it has been reformulated and does not smell nearly as good or authentic as their original formulation -- which is undoubtedly what I had smelled..

ADDENDUM 2/6/14: I wore Kuumba Made's Arabian Rose perfume oil last night while watching TV. Very true mature large red rose scent. Not tea rose or pink rose, it smelled like a mature red rose in full bloom. Another very nice inexpensive way to enjoy rose.

I really wanted to like this...I really like rose. But theres an aftertaste-like scent that lingers after the rose that just smells musty to me, like an old basement. So, on me it's a combination of a top note of very fresh, nice rose, and a lingering musty scent that I don't like... it wasn't very expensive so I can deal with it, I wish it smelled more rosey on me. It does smell better in the bottle than on my skin.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Classic rose scent with massive staying power. I also detect a jammy sweet strawberry note underlying the roses. I've tried layering this with other scents when I want to add a rosy note, but it always takes over. Maybe I will try decanting, daubing. A great bargain and a little goes a very long way!

My favorite classic floral scent. It's elegant, yet simple and natural-- fits me better than Grand Compositions like Chanel No 5, Fracas, or Joy. Yep, it's just rose and nothing but. However, the quality of the rose is absolutely perfect, velvety, fresh with dew and greenery-- avoiding the cloying sweetness common to rose scents. Rose oil is used as an antidepressant in aromatherapy, so no surprise that I gravitate to Tea Rose on rainy or difficult days. When applied with proper restraint, this scent gets loads of compliments. I feel pretty... oh so pretty...

But a word about applying with proper restraint. To give you some idea of how strong and concentrated this is, I applied 2 sprays to my chest before bed one night, and the scent of roses lingers in the air and on the sheets a week later. As an experiment, I tried applying the strongest perfumes I own before bed each night this week-- Ciara, Youth-Dew, Eternity and Knowing. Each of them was no match for the trace residue of Tea Rose on my sheets. I couldn't even smell the Yourh-Dew I had applied to both wrists! This stuff is FIERCE!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I have kept a bottle of this on hand for probably 20 years. This is a true, fresh, bright, clean tea rose scent. There are no musky or spicy or "dirty" undertones. This is the smell of pure tea rose and nothing else. If you are crazy about the smell of roses- which I am- then you'll love this fragrance. And I find that this mixes nicely with other scents since it only smells like roses- I can spritz a little of this on after I have used Coty Wild Musk or other scented products and it almost seems to make anything smell even better. Yes, this does have a rep for being loved by sweet old ladies. But the key word there is sweet.

this smells exactly like roses at a flower shop with the greens and puddling. i plan to layer it with a few things i have that i wish were a bit more rose infused

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

This is the loveliest soliflore rose scent I've encountered. I don't quite understand the comments that this is "strong" or even "rotting," since to me it smells like a fresh dewy rose, greens and all, after a cool rain. (It does to rose what Marc Jacobs does to gardenia: it gives the effect of a freshly picked blossom floating on water). Tea Rose was a favorite of mine in high school, in the '80s; it "matched" my vintage sensibilities, with the lace stockings and rhinestone pins and red lipstick and pearls. I still have those sensibilities, and I still wear Tea Rose sometimes. It is ultra-feminine and very retro. (I've noticed it tends to be favored by elderly women, but I like elderly women, and I think this is a timeless scent appropriate for all.) The expression "comes out smelling like a rose" was made for this scent. Soft, clean, uber-floral.

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

I normally love the smell of roses- especially a soft dew-drenched rose right from the garden. Unfortunately, Perfumer's Workshop Tea Rose has a very negative connotation for me. My first year of dorm life in college was punctuated by the scent of a girl who, in lieu of regular bathing, doused herself in this stuff. The sickly sweet smell of roses and B.O. lingered, and lingered...Ugh. She was a nice girl, but this is how perfume gets a bad repuatation- when used in place of good hygiene! I couldn't wear any rose scent for years after because all I could think of was Tea Rose and B.O. I have my faves for rose scent (YSL Paris, Avon's d/c Roses Roses)- Tea Rose will never be in my rotation, however.

I randomly bought a giant bottle of this at TJ's for $9.99. It turned out to be a wonderful decision, as I have found that when layered with Stella, it somehow acts as a fixative and helps it to last all day.
One hour before you leave the house: apply one spray of Tea Rose to the neck/chest (from a distance, now!) with a closer spray of Stella over it, and an additional spray of Stella on the wrist, and you will be Good.To.Go. At least 8 hours of awesome.

Popular Fragrances