Perfumer's Workshop Tea Rose

Filtered by age: 44-55
 Perfumer's Workshop Tea Rose

on 4/30/2018 11:49:00 AM

I'm a fragrance slut and could never settle down with even 2 or 3 perfumes, let alone one! But if it were truly desert-island time, I'd pick Tea Rose over all the others. It's just so "me." A hyperrealistic, simple, dewy magenta rose soliflore you can dress up or down-- gorgeous but effortless. Tea Rose was created in the '70s (as was I!) as a slap in the face to pretentious, complicated perfumes. It rode high on the hippie essential-oils vibe at the time, and with its linear simplicity, it has much in common with classic Arabian rose attars and European rosewater treatments.

Because Perfumers Workshop is still in existence and still committed to its mission, the formula hasn't changed significantly since the '70s (perhaps a bit less strong d/t IFRA restrictions on ingredients). It's still highly concentrated, even for an EDT; I use very light tappings sprays on my neck and 1 full spray on my wrists and I am scented for the day! There is a mood-lifting, lovely, serene waft of roses coming from my person that isn't at all overwhelming, but is still delightful.

I suppose it's fair to call this "old-lady" in the sense that soliflores (especially rose) aren't popular right now and that many older women do make this their signature. However, there's nothing inherently geriatric at all about a fresh-picked rose-- it's the epitome of springtime and youth. Any woman of any age can claim this as their scent and smell absolutely gorgeous in it. BTW I had an 80-yo neighbor once who wore Tea Rose every day and she was a badass. She had been a high school principal in a really tough neighborhood, she swore and talked about sex very frankly, and she once fended off a robber in her home by whacking him over the head with a vase. Somehow the scent provided a nice counterpoint to all that :)

You can get a 4-oz bottle of EDT that will probably last you into the next life, for under $10 from numerous online sellers or at TJ's/Marshalls. What's not to like? If you don't want to wear it yourself, it's a great air freshener, linen spray, or bath additive. One note, there is an EDP version of this and I actually don't like it as much as the plain old EDT. It isn't any more concentrated, but it does smell less green and fresh than the EDT and there is a urine note that emerges in the EDP that kind of kills it for me.

on 7/4/2016 10:32:00 PM

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

This is my bedtime perfume. I shower at night and put this on. Husband adores it and it feels like clean lovely sleep to me. I ran out, tried a variety of other fragrances, and ended up back with Tea Rose. Hope they keep making it.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Other, Curly, Medium

I too have memories attached to ts scent, so my review is colored by that a bit. I do love all rose scents however, and this one does not dissapoint! This is a clean, soapy rose on me. I never fail to get compliments on how "nice" I smell when wearing this. This reminds me of "Rose Milk" lotion from the 70's. I spent a short time in the states as a child and loved that lotion...this fragrance comes pretty close to that. Simple, clean and pretty. The price is perfect and the huge size allows me to occasionally just scent the air when I am feeling nostalgic. While I love niche fragrances, I think it's good to have a few "feel good" fragrances around too!

on 9/17/2014 6:22:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Very strong, bargain soliflore (10 usd for 60 ml including shipping) which I purchased for the sole purpose of experimental layering and accentuation of rose notes in other fragrances like serge lutens MKK, Fumerie turque, and ambre sultan and as a rose accord complement to fragrances like CDG Avignon, lorenzo Villarossi garafano and vintage caron bellodgia. I find tea rose to be overwhelming even with just one spray, so I transferred it into a glass bottle with a glass stopper/dabber.

If you historically disliked soliflore rose notes, please don't automatically write this off, especially if you are intrigued by fragrances that contain rose, like amouage lyric, tauer's incense rose or une rose chypre, etc. Until I re sampled Frederic Malle une rose earlier this year, (which I would not have done except for the strong recommendation of a trusted sales associate) I believed that I hated all rose soliflores, and tea rose was especially abhorrent. Tastes obviously change and I now own full bottles of une rose, nahema extrait and l'arte di gucci edp.

So I recommend this fragrance for those formerly resistant to rose notes, like I was, but who are interested in broadening their scent horizons. Before they leap into a pricy bottle of niche fragrance that has a rose accord, I think it's easy to try layering a smidge of this one with a current favorite perfume to achieve a rose oriental, chypre, incense, amber, oud or other effect.

Re whether I would buy this again. I believe that 60 ml or two ounces is a lifetime supply, and i already have more perfume than a single person can consume. If there was a one ounce bottle available, I would have purchased that instead.

But I am exceedingly happy with the purchase.

This is a beautiful, true, dewy, fresh from the garden bunch of roses. On me there is a slight musk on the drydown. It is also one of the few rose perfumes that don't turn sour on me. However I am not a big fan of single note perfumes. So why have I given it a high rating? I love to wear it to bed, particularly in summer. Some fragrances, particularly rose and jasmine, have a cooling effect that is delightful in hot weather.

Yes this is a sillage monster. I would prefer this came in a roll on rather than a spray as it would be easier to control how much you apply. One of the problems with this fragrance is that it can easily be overapplied and I think this is the reason for some of the low ratings.

This is so cheap that you can use it as a room spray if you don't like it as a perfume. If you love roses, buy this, just remember to apply sparingly.

Edit: Although this is a fairly true tea rose fragrance, it does smell different on individuals depending on their body chemistry. As mentioned above, it smells a little musky on me when it dries down. On my best friend it smells much brighter with a sharp lemony citrus drydown. Even with this fragrance, try before you buy and don't just judge by the way it smells on the paper blotter.

on 6/28/2013 4:48:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

Wow, this one seems to engender serious emotional responses and not a few negative memory connections! Reading over the reviews, the five previous to my entry here are all colored by memory. I will say upfront that I had no connection with this fragrance prior to trying it. What that means is that, on me, Parfumer's Workshop Tea Rose is a plain, simple tea rose scent that is almost true. I don't know what happened to all the other notes, but I got a basic, simple yellow rose that is fresh and lovely. That's it. Nothing fancy, nothing icky and certainly didn't make anyone sick. Maybe you have to wear a tiny bit. I never wear more than a dab of any perfume. Soaking your skin in this would definitely be too too much, but that goes for almost every fragrance out there.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Classic rose scent with massive staying power. I also detect a jammy sweet strawberry note underlying the roses. I've tried layering this with other scents when I want to add a rosy note, but it always takes over. Maybe I will try decanting, daubing. A great bargain and a little goes a very long way!

on 2/18/2008 9:09:00 PM

For what it is, this scent rocks. I reiterate the previous "Rosasaurus Rex" comments -- this is MONSTROUSLY strong. I actually (snort, giggle) have a PARFUM in this as well as the eponymous EDP. Also, it is one-note. The bottle says "Tea Rose" and, well, tea rose is exactly what you get. But for layering, there is nothing quite like this -- the single note quality actually works in its favor. Further, there are always those days when you feel like wearing long, droopy, printed cotton skirts, pulling your hair into frizzy chaos, carrying a big book bag, and channeling your inner hippie/Boho. Tea Rose is the perfume for those days, or for wine-and-roses sad break-up days. And it's incredibly cheap, almost always at TJs, and pretty universally wearable. It's gorgeous with an overlayer of lemon or orange, or over an underlayer of orange or lemon essential oil.

My only caveat is, THIS IS EXTREMELY POTENT STUFF! EXTREMELY!!!! Spray one spray in front of yourself and walk into it. See how that works for you. If you cannot abide spraying, decant a bit into a sample vial and just touch the thin applicator from the sample vial to one wrist, rub wrists together, rub on neck, and then leave this alone. Sit on it for a day and see, again, how it works for you. The problem with Tea Rose is that it is a sillage monster. You may not smell it strongly, you may not think you're blasting. But you are.

Example: I sprayed this on a bit too enthusiastically (a wine-and-roses break-up episode). I got in my car. I drove to a hippie-boho festival event, outside thankfully. I spent the evening outside and still people from across the walkway to booths on the other side made comments about roses. Three days later I got in my car and realized the car STILL smelled of roses. A week later I did my laundry. When I opened the bag at the laundramat... everything was permeated with the scent of roses. I could still smell it AFTER I did the laundry. I like roses, so this wasn't a bad thing, but it is an INSTRUCTIVE thing, no?

Spray carefully and monitor. NEVER let a teenager have this without controlling use carefully. Do not leave it unsupervised around small children who open things. Do not leave it unsupervised around small children who have never, heretofore, demonstrated an interest in opening things -- there is always a first time. But do enjoy; it is very lovely in its way.

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

An inexpensive perfurme that tends to turn a bit sour on me. I bought it to layer on top of my rose shower gel and body lotion. I would not buy it again.

on 8/29/2006 9:51:00 AM

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

My husband remembered me wearing this a number of years ago, and bought it as a gift. Now I enjoy it more as a layer with other rose based perfumes. A bit boring on its own for me.

Popular Fragrances