The Body Shop Woody Sandalwood

No Image

Not tested on animals
The Body Shop is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

I bought this perfume in 1991 and still have only used about 1/8 of it. Granted, a microscopic amount is all you need to reek of incense all day. I like the smell, but it is much too strong.

on 9/16/2015 9:59:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Between 2.5 and 3 stars for me, the reason being that I would like it more if it was slightly less sweet and less powdery. Warm, spicy, woody, sweet, powdery. No strong patchouli that I can detect, but a slight hippie vibe. Smells more natural than Pacifica sandalwood. I don't think it's as spicy or sweet as the original Opium. I do get a hint of music ravageur powderiness.

I have not retested Avon Persian Wood recently, nor Chanel Bois de Iles, nor Coromandel, but I have a suspicion that I would prefer one of those as a more austere wood with a bit more structure. It's also possible that a fragrance with a bit of oak moss or birch tar (both increasingly hard to find due to IFRA regs) would cut some of the richness.

I am not an expert on sandalwood, but my decant seems relatively high quality for its modest price.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Woody Sandalwood oil applies smelling like soapy sandalwood, then dries down to smell like slightly sweet, powdery sandalwood and really nothing else. The wear is very good--it lasted me all day. Honestly, it was way too powdery for me, but it's good at what it does.

on 5/31/2009 5:13:00 PM

This is the BEST sandalwood scent out there, hands down. This does not have a patchouli scent as other reviewers have stated. They should have wandered a bit further on the shelf and sniffed the patchouli perfume oil available at the body shop. Very different scent.

This sandalwood is sweet, earthy, woody, leathery and warm. This has been the base element of a perfume that I blend myself and have worn daily for nearly 10 years. I get compliments on this all the time.

Blend this with a smidge of the body shop's patchouli and neroli/jasmine, it is divine! A drop on the hands and run through the hair--OMG.

on 3/12/2009 5:09:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair, Cool

I loved this in the past, and still appreciate its intense, warm patchouliness, but I can never wear it again as it holds an extreme and instantaneous scent-memory of a person and time I'd rather forget...too bad.

on 1/23/2009 10:49:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This smells like pure patchouli to me. A slightly different patchouli than the other Body Shop patchouli oil, but headshop patchouli nonetheless. Sandalwood is mild, gentle, and dry. It's difficult to smell it in this blend.

on 1/9/2009 3:39:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

I first purchased Sandalwood over 10 years ago. This was my HG at one time as I love the smell of Sandalwood. Also, it's an inexpensive oil that's long lasting on your skin. Now, I prefer to have fragrances that have other notes along with the Sandalwood. So, for that reason I won't be repurchasing. However, if you're a lover of woody scents, do give this a try as it does smell wonderful.

on 12/8/2008 4:22:00 PM

Hair: Grey, Curly, Medium

So I'm just a dirty ol' hippy who likes nothing more than a bit of patchouli or sandalwood and this fragrance from The Body Shop is an absolute favourite.

On me, it starts out brightly woodsy and spicy, goes through a leathery phase with just a touch of soap (kind of like the world's hottest cowboy cleaning his saddle with manly cowboy soap) and ends up as my warm skin fresh out of the shower but better.

I've read lots of perfume reviews where people mention all the compliments they get from people on the scent they're wearing. Personally, I would be horrified if my perfume were strong enough for the people around me to smell. Unless, you know, they get really close, and yes, my boyfriend does love this fragrance.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Mmmm...I love this. I'm really into spicy, warm, woodsy smells, so I was instantly drawn to this! It does have a very faint "soapy clean" smell, but it's nothing to deter you from the rich spiciness it has to offer. It's pretty heady and it does smell like incense, but I adore it. Yum. xD

I used to love the smell of Opium. It had/has such a woodsy, spicy scent to it, that's almost sexy. I was going to break down and buy it again, but I have a ton of perfumes and recently purchased Gucci, which I love! But it isn't cheap! I didn't feel like spending a bunch more money on a fragrance I would only wear here and there. So after reading the reviews on The Body Shop Woody Sandalwood, I decided to give it a try! It is a very spicy, warm scent, almost masculine. When it is on you after a few moments, it seems to react to your body heat and becomes even better. I coulnd't stop smelling my wrist! I love it. A little goes a long way, so if you are sensitive to strong scents, use it sparingly. I feel very sexy when im wearing it and my husband LOVES it. I think he loves this one even more then my expensive Gucci! For the price you can't go wrong, if you are looking for a very exotic and sensual fragrance!

Popular Fragrances