Jan Marini Bioclear

Jan Marini  Bioclear
Bioclear

4.2

Lotion-Water/Aqua/Eau, Butylene Glycol, Glycolic Acid, Salicylic Acid, Azelaic Acid, Sodium Hydroxide, Polysorbate 20, Sodium Hyaluronate, Undecanedioic Acid, Sebacic Acid, Suberic Acid, Sclerotium Gum, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Phenoxyethanol................................................................................................................Cream-Water/Aqua/Eau, Glycolic Acid, Butylene Glycol, Polysorbate 60, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Stearic Acid, Hexyl Laurate, Cetyl Alcohol, Salicylic Acid, Glycerin, Azelaic Acid, Glyceryl Stearate, PEG-100 Stearate, Magnesium Aluminum Silicate, Cetearyl Alcohol, Sodium Hydroxide, Sorbitol, Saccharomyces Cerevisiae (Yeast) Extract, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Sodium Hyaluronate, Plantago Lanceolata Leaf Extract, Symphytum Officinale Leaf Extract, Hedera Helix (Ivy) Leaf/Stem Extract, Malva Sylvestris (Mallow) Flower Extract, Parietaria Officinalis Extract, Sambucus Nigra (Elderberry) Flower Extract, Arnica Montana Flower Extract, Cucumis Sativus (Cucumber) Fruit Extract, Tocopheryl Acetate, Cyclopentasiloxane, Xanthan Gum, Cyclohexasiloxane, Propylene Glycol, Undecanedioic Acid, Sebacic Acid, Suberic Acid, Quartz, Caprylyl Glycol, Ethylhexylglycerin, Hexylene Glycol, Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Benzoate, Disodium EDTA, Phenoxyethanol, Benzyl Alcohol 10-7-2017

on 6/22/2017 2:17:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

So far I've just used the lotion, not the cream (although I suspect I'll use the cream in cold-weather months). It has been absolutely transformative for my skin, which is acne-prone, sensitive, prone to redness (not rosacea but couperose) and aging (I'm north of 45). It clears up my skin wonderfully, doesn't irritate it, calms the redness, and doesn't dry it out. I bought a half-size on ebay just to make sure it would work OK, and I've just bought the full size. I use it in the morning in conjunction with Jan Marini Bioglycolic cleanser and the results have been simply fantastic. It's such a relief to find a product that is so very effective.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

I could emphasize enough how this and Bioglycolic cleanser are my life saver again and again.

Growing up in hot and humid country, I did not have issue taming my acne prone dehydrated oily skin. But ever since I moved to UK, I was having a hard time finding right skincare regimen. As a result, I suffered from rather serious adult cystic acne and horrible acne scars. Ever since I've discovered this along with their Bioglycolic cleanser 5 years ago, my adult acne was gone within few months. Please note that this is not a miracle but it works within months. I've noticed my skin was less dry and flaky, my acne seemed to be less angry on the first few weeks and most importantly I've no longer have any further break out. Within months, all my existing acne was all gone with some hyperpigmentation (it would normally be gone few weeks/ months depending types of acne).

Yes it is pricey but it is holy grail to me. I've even tried to stop using it (for almost a year) due to my stupid decision of thinking I was not longer suffered from my adult acne. I was so wrong. I sufferred at least one huge cystic acne every month and left with acne boxing scars. Took me a year to add this back to part of my skincare regimen and my angry acne seemed to be calm by little overnight and all acne was gone within a month. I did not experience any flakiness or dry spot in fact this is the bottle that prevents it and keeps my skin plumped along with my skincare regimen.

Every now and then whenever I try out new products which cause some small bumps or flakiness, this is the one that saves the day. This is not a miracle lotion and it takes some time to clear your skin but it works. I use it along with hydrating toner, hydrating serum, mask, eye cream, face cream and sun screen (am).

[I thought I had a written a review for this lotion when I first started using it about 10 years ago, but I couldn't find it, so I'll write one now.] About 10 years ago, my skin was breaking out like crazy, and I remember reading on MUA about Jan Marini's BIoglycolic Bioclear lotion, so I tried it, and it totally worked for me. My skin totally cleared up, and if I did happen to break out, it was minimal. My post-acne scars were also diminished, and my soft felt really soft. So, I used it for about 3 years, and because my skin was under control, looking great, and there are always new/interesting/effective/innovative products entering the market (most of which I learn about on MUA :P), I started using other skincare items.

Fast forward about 7 years, and my skin is going crazy again (and this is after oral and topical antibiotics, retin-A, accutane, changing my diet, etc). I figured I didn't have anything to lose, so I purchased this lotion again, and it's been a lifesaver! My skin isn't perfect, by any means, but I just feel in control of it. Any breakouts I get are pretty small, and they either come to a head quickly, or they disappear relatively quickly. The flesh-colored bumps on my jaw area which I've had for years seem to be diminishing, and my skin feels incredibly soft. It took a few weeks to notice these effects, but I'm certainly glad this lotion is in my arsenal again.

The only annoying & frustrating thing about the product is the packaging. When I first bought it 10 years ago, it was in a glass bottle, with a black pump, and it was great. Then they changed it to a tall, silver plastic bottle with a clear plastic cap, which worked fine as well. Now, it comes in dropper form, which I normally wouldn't have a problem with but the circumference of the dropper is so large than when I'm pulling it out of the bottle or putting it back in, the lotion that's on the outside of the dropper gets scraped onto the threading of the bottle opening (gosh I hope that makes sense). I have to take time to scrape the excess product from the dropper before pulling it out, or be reeeeally careful when putting it back in so it won't touch the bottle opening and get everywhere. I don't know much about physics, mechanics, engineering, and whatever else may go into developing a bottle design, but I think a simple solution would be to make the dropper narrower. The hole size at the end of the dropper is fine, but just making the circumference of the dropper cylinder skinnier would make it easier to put the dropper back in the bottle without gunking up the opening of the bottle.

But even with this packaging issue, the lotion works for me so I will keep repurchasing. :)

on 3/2/2015 7:03:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

**This review is for the "lotion"** I'm not sure what was up with my skin, but I spent the latter part of December and well into January battling the worst breakout of my life. Was it stress? Was it hormones? Was it just my skin being a bastard? Probably all 3, but that's life. Anyway, I pulled out all the stops and tried everything that had worked in the past to no avail. In a fit of desperation one night I ordered a bottle of JM BioClear Lotion and hoped and prayed it worked. There wasn't any dramatic clearing of my skin overnight - not even over a few days. But over a few weeks? MIRACLE. My skin is damn near flawless now and though I use this in combination with other products (Avene retinoid at night, Metazene serum + moisturizer during the day), I'd say about 80% of that can be credited to this product since I didn't change anything else.

Updated**** I HAD to update this once more to tell you exactly how AMAZING this product is. I've officially been using this in addition to my bioglycolic cleanser for about 4 months now. Last night at work, a coworker and I were discussing nutrition and the ins and outs of our diets. I was telling him about my morning breakfast smoothie and he said "wow..you eat really healthy. That must be why your skin is so perfect and glowy". "WHAT?!?!" 4 months ago I wanted to cry every time I looked in the mirror. Hormonal acne, cystic acne, red marks,bumps, scars YOU NAME IT it was on my face. Never in my life would I have thought someone would look at my skin (under fluorescent lighting, mind you) and categorize it as perfect. This stuff has not only cleared my acne, but has improved the skin underneath. Tighter pores, even texture/tone. I can't say enough about how amazing this stuff is. Only that I wish I would have found it when I was 19. And my skin improves EVERYDAY. I have yet to see a "plateau". If you suffer from any of the afore mentioned skin problems--get a jet pack and get your ass to this product NOW.

on 12/20/2015 5:38:00 PM

A few things should be noted: I've only been using this product for a couple weeks (so I plan on updating this later) and I've never had issues with cystic acne, only surface stuff.

I learned about this stuff through a friend who hadn't actually tried the product, but was working with the dermatologist who swears by it. I have sensitive skin and a terrible picking habit, and am starting to see the scars get worse and last longer now that I'm getting older, so I bit the bullet and bought this stuff on a whim, despite it being out of my usual price range.

I weened my skin into it, as recommended, and I can see why. As soon as I put it on, I could tell there were some potent chemicals at work by the slight burn. I also hate the smell. HOWEVER, the results are undeniable.
I live in a dry climate and have skin that tends to be dry anywhere, so I was surprised that this did a great job at not sucking all the moisture out of my face (I use the cream, which is supposed to have a little more moisture in it than the lotion).

I put a small amount on at night after I've washed my face, and little bit in the morning under Clinique's gel moisturizer. I haven't noticed a huge difference in scar fading, but the overall texture and tone of my skin has certainly improved -- another surprise, as I would have expected redness.

A lot of my skin issues come from bad habit; I don't get terrible breakouts, but I pick incessantly. This stuff clears up all the little stuff so I have practically nothing left to pick at. Combined with focusing on self-control and making goals to not touch my face at all throughout the day, the difference is remarkable. I highly recommend this product, and look forward to it's effects over a greater period of time!

on 11/22/2013 4:33:00 AM

I've used this but the lotion version years ago and then stopped. I started breaking out recently and it was really depressing.. I remember about this so decided to give it a try again but this time the cream version. This seriously saved my skin! Within a month my skin's clear again. This is super greasy compare to the lotion but works better on healing my skin than the lotion. I only use this during bedtime. It also has a plastic smell but it doesn't linger. It comes in a small heavy glass jar with only 1oz of product but a little goes a long way! Price is also steep but you can also find it on amazon less.

I'm now on my second bioclear cream after not using it for a while. I use it twice a day, and it takes me about 2 months to use up a single 1 oz. container, and I use the Bioglycolic cleanser twice a day before it and Jan Marini's SPF moisturizer in the morning after it. This stuff is amazing--it keeps my skin clear and has definitely made it much smoother. Marks from pimples disappear twice as quickly, and the blemishes themselves are much more tame. After using it for about a month and a half my skin became virtually perfectly clear (save for the occasional blemish from an all-nighter studying or an extremely social weekend). HOWEVER, the ingredients are absolutely terrible! This contains some of the most toxic, harsh, and carcinogenic chemicals on the market (including the cream's multiple types of parabens), and I have decided to move on from Jan Marini to a more natural regimen (potentially to Laventine). I suspect that my skin will become too dependent on intense glycolic exfoliation and may have become dependent to have the other chemicals in the bioclear cream, so the transition may not be smooth. However if you do any research on the dangerous ingredients in cosmetics, several of the ingredients in this cream top the list, so I would rather switch from Jan Marini to something the FDA might not outlaw in the next decade. Nevertheless, I HIGHLY recommend this cream if you are suffering from moderate acne (like I once was) and have been unable to find anything that actually works.

on 9/9/2012 1:41:00 AM

I've been using the Bioclear lotion and cream and the Factor A+ on-and-off for the last 12 years or so. The products work great for me. Yes, they sting a little when I put it on, and I can only really use it at night, since it makes my skin get really red and burn... but the results are GREAT!!! It takes a couple of weeks for my skin to really glow, and it is totally worth the initial side effects. The packaging is terrible though. The pumps always get clogged and most of the time dont work at all. It is really frustrating since you spend so much on the product and the packaging is so cheap!!!! There are so many toxic chemicals in these products... it can't be good for you. That's why i don't use it long-term.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Using the cream formula on my forehead only to combat fine lines and rosacea and it's been working great. No new bumps ( knock on wood) and I'm super prone to breakouts and I have none. Don't use on my cheeks since I use finacea there.

Update (02/2016): So if you look at my reviews, I go back and forth quite a bit with my anti acne/rosacea regimen (sorry!) But after having too much irritation from EVERYTHING I'm back to the drawing board. In comes my mother...she has suffered her adulthood with the same issue but has been clear for 15+ years now because of this cream. She's urged me so many times to keep trying this and I told her I was too sensitive for it but here we go...I'm try it again and NOT giving up for 8-10 weeks to see if there is any improvement.

Just bought a new tub and have been using it this week in the evenings on my cheeks as they are just so gross right now. So far after just 2-3 days, I'm getting a bit more whiteheads and am not going to freak out as I'm sure it's some sort of purge. Will updated in a week or so.

2nd week update: so I only started using this on my left cheek as I was scared to death of having a huge purge all over my face. My left cheek is baby smooth with no new bumps but the red marks from my previous bumps are still really red. The roughness is gone so at least my makeup looks good over the red. I've began using this on my right cheek and its exploding with bumps but I will continue use to see if it smooth's a nicely as my left cheek. Will check back next week

3rd week update: Still purging on both sides buy sticking with it and hoping for the best

4th week update: Looking horrible today. Big bumps everywhere. Sticking with it anyway. I hope it clears soon!

5-6 week update: I'm giving up. I really wanted this to work for my cheeks but all it did was give me new papules every week. It's fine on my chin and forehead but my cheeks are still in need of something to keep to rosacea paps away.