4.3

package quality

price range

Reviews

4 months ago

You win, Clinique. After all my shopping binges on the fanciest brands, over the years, this is still the very best cake liner I’ve ever tried. The Muted Brown color looks so warm in the pan, yet it somehow goes on in the most flattering color, that almost appears to come from within (ie very natural). It stays on and is super easy to apply, too. Lastly, it doesn’t irritate my eyes. Some products seem almost magical and this is one of them. Holy grail, for sure. For reference, I’m a Light Spring (lightest cool skin, eyes + warm blonde hair).

About reviewer (25 reviews)

SkinCombination, Fair, Cool

HairBlond, Wavy, Fine

4 years ago

I am adding another great review of this product. I have oiley lids and sensitive eyes and this is really easy to use and master. I live in tropical Australia and this product makes it through the challenge of the humidity. I have a really hard time finding eye makeup and like so many other reviews, occasionally I stray to other brands but I always come back to this. The muted brown is perfect and after reading the other reviews I hear the black is a soft black, so I will be buying one soon. I have wrinkles on my lids and this just glides over them, doesn't skip over the bumps. Those of you over 40 will know all about that. I have never been able to is in Oz so I get it online. I am on my third in about 4 years.

About reviewer (42 reviews)

SkinSensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

HairSilver, Straight, Fine

EyesHazel

6 years ago

I love this eyeliner! I have been using it for over thirty years. I try others from time to time, but always come back to this one. I am very fair and my eyes need some definition. This does that while always looking soft. And it has good staying power. I use both the brown and the black. When it is gift with purchase time, i usually buy one of each so I am sure never to run out. When i get them home, i take the cake out of the case. Then I take out the white plastic piece. Then I put both cakes - one brown and one black in one of the cases. Then I always have both products available in one case. Many years ago there were more colors. I believe one was navy- charcoal, and the other was olive something. Then there was a version called basic eye emphasizer. I remember a gray one. It was meant to be used as both a cake eyeliner and an eyeshadow. Clinique - if you are reading this - bring back the other colors!!

About reviewer (5 reviews)

Age56 & Over

SkinCombination, Fair

HairBlond

6 years ago

Like other reviewers, I have used this on and off for years. As new products came along, I'd ditch my Clinique liner for something new, and that something new never quite cut it for me. I don't wear obvious liner; instead, I use it more to accent my eyes subtly. The Natural Black shade makes my brown eyes pop with very little applied to my top lash line. The beauty of this product is being able to control the intensity. I use a fair amount of water on the brush and swish the brush on the cake 2-3 times to pick up enough product for an almost sheer-ish line of color. If I want it darker and more intense, I swish a few more times. It takes some practice, but it's worth it, and I think this is a great liner for those of us over 50 who are looking for definition but not bold, stark lining that ages us. However, the brush it came with years ago is far better than the brush you get with it today. The good brush tapered nicely to the perfect point and had just the right amount of give to allow for control. Today's brush is like something out of a child's watercolor set. The end is blunt, the bristles are too long, and please, Clinique, did you think I wouldn't notice? I have an ELF angled brush I'm going to try. Either way, I'll stick with this liner.

About reviewer (94 reviews)

SkinVery Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

HairSilver, Straight, Coarse

6 years ago

I used this eyeliner for years and stopped using it when gel eyeliners became the rage. Unfortunately, gel eyeliners require you to clean your brush every time you apply and I find that to be a pain. I've tried pencils, powder--different price points and products but haven't really been happy. I saw this old standby at the Clinique counter and immediately wondered why I had stopped using it. I bought it in muted brown and I'm back to having an eyeliner that is easy and does exactly what I need it to. I can create a natural line under and over my eye in seconds--it last almost all day and there's no mess to clean up. The color is soft and fine for day or night and the product will last for a long, long time. For just $16. I promise not to stray again and I'm heading back to buy the black.

About reviewer (12 reviews)

SkinNormal, Other

HairBrown

7 years ago

I have been using this eyeliner for years and LOVE it. If Clinique ever stops making it, I have no idea what I'm going to do with myself. I have sensitive skin and wear contacts, so finding an eyeliner that agrees with me is difficult. One case will last me at least a year, if not more, and I put it on every day. The brush it comes with can only be defined as 'meh', so I use my e.l.f. brush and it goes on fantastically. If you are looking for an eyeliner to wear to the water park or beach, this is not for you. It is (unfortunately) not very water resistant. If you are looking for an eyeliner to do wings with, again, look elsewhere. This is not for you. However its staying power around the eyes on long, hot, and/or humid days is awesome. It will not budge until you take it off. It is a very natural, light black, so again: if you are looking for the blackest of the black liners, not for you. However you can layer it to make it much darker. I usually do a few layers myself until I get the color I'm looking for. I also love how long the cases last. I've gotten over a year out of each case. My first case lasted a year and a half and still wasn't finished when I replaced it. It's almost scary how long it lasts, as I hope they're making enough off of the product to keep it!

About reviewer (1 reviews)

Age19-24

SkinOily, Fair, Cool

HairBrown, Straight, Fine

7 years ago

I bought this liner because I have contact eczema on my eyelids and my other liner (Physicians Formula liquid) dries out way too fast. This is a much better value. I have it in both colors. The brown is dark and chocolatey. The black is definitely soft -- don't buy it if you are looking for something jet black. It is a great black if you have fair coloring or warm toned skin. What I like about this liner is that none is wasted. It doesn't dry out like cream or liquid liners. The application is extremely easy. The brush it comes with is not bad but I use my bent Elf brush which gives a little more control. The application is precise, the fact that its water soluble makes mistakes easy to fix. You can just go into your lash line with a wet brush and smooth out the lines. You can layer. I love putting this liner on. However, it does fade. I do winged liner and the wings are pretty much gone by midday, but the rest of it stays on. If you are not allergic, you may be able to find something that stays put better. But in terms of application, it is by far my favorite of anything I have used.

About reviewer (72 reviews)

Age36-43

SkinCombination, Olive, Warm

HairBrown, Curly, Medium

7 years ago

This is my HG eyeliner. I have light blue eyes and if I don't wear eyeliner to define them, people ask me if I'm sick! Therefore, I've tried every liner there is over the years. I' ve always had oily eyelids and now use tons of eye creams etc, so smearing eye makeup is a constant threat. This product works so well for me-- it is easy to apply, and makes a nice line, which you can make as soft or as intense as you want by varying the amount of water , and it's easily layerable. Once it's dry, it's on until you take it off. I just love it. There are only two colors--- I wear Muted Brown, it's a soft chocolate brown with no shimmer. I have no issues with the packaging, I like the little brush that comes with it, and it lasts forever. I have multiple backups --- just in case they ever discontinue it, because I'll wear it forever.

About reviewer (19 reviews)

SkinCombination, Fair, Cool

HairRed, Straight, Fine

7 years ago

I absolutely love this product. First, I have extremely sensitive eyes and my specialist recommended using Clinique eye products; I have had no problems. I have received so many compliments on my eyes. I have always had difficulty using pencil eyeliner over the top of the eyes, but this product makes it so easy! I wet the brush and dap it in the product. You have to work it a bit until you get a nice paste like texture. I spin the brush to a point and apply. You can create thin or thick lines and it's easy to make that "cat eye" look. I hope Clinique never stops making this one.

About reviewer (20 reviews)

SkinCombination, Dark, Warm

HairBlack, Wavy, Medium

8 years ago

I am reviewing this product for using for brows as a brow powder. The best advice a Clinique makeup artist gave me because none of their brow stuff worked for me. I use this as a brow powder to fill in brows. I use it dry and not wet--- it does the job quite well. Its pigmented enough for brows, waterproof and water-resistant, smudgeproof. They should re-package this as a brow product. Color is limited to two selections though, a warm brown and a soft black.

About reviewer (301 reviews)

Age36-43