Sally Hansen Mega Shine Top Coat

Mega Shine Top Coat

3.4

on 10/21/2017 9:56:00 AM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse

I have been using Mega Shine for over 15 years. I do my nails every Sunday and this polish helps keep my nails glossy and pristine, with no chips for a week. It beautifully sets the polish, like a shiny, new car finish. I do a base coat, two thin layers of my colour polish, then wait a minute or two and apply a hearty layer of mega shine. Lasts all week.

The only thing I don't like is this metallic bottle. Ironically, the finish comes off and gets on your hands and once I painted it into my nail. I did have it in my nail case so it was rubbing against nail files and other nail care items while I was traveling. I also don't like not being able to see how much polish is in the bottle.

Please bring back the type of bottle it used to have!!

on 9/28/2016 10:02:00 AM

I happen to come across this product while reading a review for another product. I am happy I took the leap and purchased this. Although, I'm not thrilled with the price, I am overly satisfied with the product. This was the first top coat I found that stood up to the beating I put on my nails at work. Along with toddler chasing, teenage demands and just the daily rigorous household chores. I could not believe it when I went a whole day at work and my nails were perfect. I have used many top coats and not one could get me thru one shift at work. I am very hard on my hands so I never thought I'd find one. This is definitely in my top two top coats for durability and strength to last. Oh and let's not forget the many compliments I get, I've had many think I had a gel mani. I love you Mega shine. My only gripe is I wish I found you sooner!!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

I don't paint my nails without this topcoat, it is fast drying and provides a salon level of hyper shine. I always get asked if I got my nails done when I freshly paint my nails with this topcoat.

After base coat, and two coats of my nail colour, wait for the colour to set for a minute and then go over with an even coat of this. If I accidentally dinged a nail, I can stipple a bit of the colour and then follow with a thick coat of this top coat to smooth everything out. Usually I can paint my nails within 5 minutes and let it dry for 5 and immediately go to bed, waking up with no sheet marks (although I am a very still sleeper so results may vary lol). I usually remove my nail polish every 5-6 days, not because of chipping, but my nails grow too fast and I get bored of the colour. A tip to prolong your nail polish colour is to use this topcoat to seal the free edge of your nails, it really helps with tip wear.

Minor cons not specific to this topcoat but all topcoats in general is that the shine wanes dramatically on day 3/4 (esp if I am using sunscreen/bug spray or doing a lot of scrubbing that week) and half way through the bottle, it becomes a bit thick (yet it still dries as quickly as when it was new). A bottles gives the best application for 4 months, afterwards you are struggling to get the product on the brush and apply an even coat.

This cost me $6-8 CAD in grocers and I will forever repurchase it.

on 8/29/2016 2:12:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

I used to love this top coat. It gave a fantastic high shine and would extend my manicure by days. Then my love affair ended. Did they change the formula?

It began with serious shrinkage, I would go right up to and sometimes over the edges of my nail polish but when it dried it looked like I had applied this when drunk. Because it was such a high shine it would notice that I had "missed" great chunks on my nails.

Then the black rot set in. I applied it over a coral nail polish and when it dried it looked like a toddler had drawn over my nails with a black pen. I thought it was just a reaction to coral but no it did it to red too.

So much wrong with this top coat.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

This is pretty much the only top coat I use, and I've been using it for over a decade. What I like best about it is that it's really shiny and makes your paint job look perfect without too much effort or skill. It's low maintenance. You can fix minor dings and imperfections in the polish by applying a coat. You don't even have to wait until the polish is 100% dry. It is thick and gets thicker but if you work quickly and use just one coat, you'll get a durable, mirrorlike finish till the last drop. For my go-to, low-maintenance manicure, I file my nails into an almond shape, paint on two or three coats of Essie mademoiselle and finish with one layer of this topcoat. I only have to take it all off when my nail has grown in-- no chips, and I use my hands a lot, cooking, working out, at work in the lab.

on 1/12/2016 12:21:00 AM

I tried using this top coat alone and it chips my polish the next day. There is once when I applied my Essence gel no light volume top coat, I went to bed before it dries up completely and when I wake up the top coat doesn't look shiny anymore so I use a coat of mega shine and it look shiny and new, it doesn't chip my polish till the next set. So I Guess I will use mega shine on top of another normal top coat but if you uses good top coat like SV than there is no need to add mega shine on top of that. Btw, there is once I used mega shine with essie polish and it change the Color of my essie polish into streak of darker tone which ruin all my painting effort.

on 11/21/2015 10:04:00 AM

I think this stuff is great primarily because it makes my polish dry so fast! I can't even believe that my polish is dry and I can go on with my day in minutes. It's great! I'm a busy mom so I don't have hours to wait for my polish to dry.

When I use this as my top coat my manicure lasts about one week, which is not the greatest.

It's not HG but it is pretty amazing. I'll keep purchasing til I find something that dries fast AND makes my manicure last 10 days.

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

Hair: Other, Wavy, Other

I just recently repurchased this after running out of the bottles I had for years. I love this topcoat! It's very glossy as the name suggests and makes polish last for up to a week which in my book is a good amount of time. It also works wonders as a quick dry as it dries super fast. It does get goopy about halfway through the bottle but unlike some top coats it still manages to be usable. I agree with some of the other reviews that complained about not being able to see how much is left but it's a minor gripe for how well it works.

on 10/26/2015 1:36:00 AM

This used too be my beloved top coat til
I tried Seche Vite! I had to buy this again because I was trying to save money and guess what? Does not compare to Seche Vite! There is not as much shine and it seemed like it was never going to dry. My nails felt sticky. It also streaked my nails a bit. IDK... Maybe this was a bad batch because I used to love it or maybe I just got used to using SV! I would rather spend a few more dollars to get the real deal!!!!

This product DOES make my nails very shiny and lustrous looking, but they chipped the next day. I can deal with maybe one nail chipping, but 7 nails chipped less than 12 hours later. I used an Essie color underneath, so it's not that I'm using cheap polish. Probably would not repurchase.