Rusk Rusk Thick

Rusk Rusk Thick

on 5/1/2016 12:15:00 AM

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

I have very fine, thin hair and have tried just about every product out there that claims to add volume and thickness, only to be disappointed every time. Either the product left my hair sticky and nasty, limp and greasy, or didn't work at all. So I was skeptical when I found this on the clearance shelf, but at the price it was marked down to, I thought I'd give it a try and see what happened. Worst case scenario, I'd end up giving it away.

To say I was pleasantly surprised would be an understatement! I will happily pay full price for this when I finish this bottle! This gives my hair volume and texture without weighing it down, and without having to wash it every day. It also helps my hair hold a curl without having to use a ton of product on it. And I get volume without having to do a ton of backcombing as well. This is definitely on my HG list of hair products!

You can use it on wet or dry hair, with or without a blow dryer, depending on what you're wanting to do, though if you're styling your hair, I'd recommend using it on wet hair, a blow dryer, and a round brush. It does have a bit of a chemical smell, but it's not overpowering and goes away quickly. And even if it is a thick type of liquid product, it's not sticky or tacky and dries fairly quickly. A little goes a long way, so even though it's not a huge bottle, it's well worth the money. And it holds up great in humidity! I live on the Gulf Coast and if that's not a humidity test, I don't know what is!

on 11/16/2015 12:59:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I like this thickening spray a lot. It does what it's supposed to do. I layer it with Living Proof No Frizz Weightless Styling Spray and the two products together do a really good job of providing added thickness and volume and great hold. I liberally spray on the two products and then let my hair air dry overnight. In the morning I use a curling iron to create loose waves. I lightly brush through the waves and then use a flexible hold hairspray (Got2b Mind Blowing h/s for very light hold or Carol's Daughter Monoi h/s for a little firmer hold) and I'm out the door. Using these two products together, the results are better than using either one alone. LP adds great hold and eliminates frizz while Thick adds thickness and texture. Thick might work even better if you blowdry (I'm too uncoordinated with a round brush, lol!) because I'm pretty sure it's heat activated. The curling iron seems to make it work better so I'm sure the dryer would do so even more. I like the fact that Thick is not stiff or sticky (unless you use too much) or crunchy and doesn't dry my hair out at all like some thickening sprays. This is a really good product and it does do what it promises. That means I don't have to stick it in my hall closet where hair product FAILS go to die, lol! This product is also reasonably priced and there's a larger size without the pump available on Amazon for about the price of the 8 ounce size, so it's a considerable savings. All in all, I recommend this product for anyone who wants to add some heft and volume to their hair. My hair is medium textured but this spray would work really well for those with fine, thin hair without weighing the hair down. I'm also going to try the Rusk Thickr spray next time to see if it adds more texture. I like that tousled, bedhead look that's so on trend right now. I do get that with Thick and LP but there's nothing wrong with more texture, is there?

To Read all 58 Reviews, Login or Join

Picked up two large bottles for $12. I followed the directions and it did make my hair look a lot fuller and thicker. I'm very happy!!!

on 1/22/2015 2:04:00 PM

I have been eying this spray every time I have been in TJ Maxx for a while and I finally picked it up. I don't think I have used a Rusk product since the early 90s and I don't remember them much which made me think they were nothing special but like most, I really like this thickening spray. I use it in my roots only and it really give some nice weight to my fly away fine hair. It does not puff it up but just makes it look a little thicker and gives it grip. I have tried a lot of sprays for thickening and this is really at the top of the list. It is less drying for me than the Aveda one and it does not get sticky like the Tigi Bedhead Superstar one which I both like and think perform well. And this one is cheaper if you get it at TJ Maxx/Marshall's which seem to always have it.

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

found at Tjmaxx also. $13. skeptical. mixed reviews. used on wet hair. blew dry. worked very well! going back for second bottle. With a round brush it helped keep just a little bit of the volume that would otherwise have been missing even when I use to spray in the past. Very pleased but the smell strange as previous poster said. She suggested putting essential oil in the bottle which I think was a very awesome idea and I'm going to do the same. Reminded me a little bit of a setting lotion type of product. I have fine thinner hair.

on 1/29/2014 11:00:00 PM

I think this is only good if you blow dry your hair. It just dries out my hair and does nothing to make it look better. I should have paid attention to my coworker when she saw me buying this- she said whenever she uses rusk, her hair is like 'now, when exactly were you going to put product in me? Because this doesn't count.'

I am joining this site specifically for the purpose of writing this review!

I cannot express how much I love this product. I went through my first bottle so fast! It is sitting on my vanity empty next to countless bottles of barely used products that i have acquired over the last few months.

This stuff really works. I have fine, flat, color treated hair that is easily weighed down. If I don't blow try, tease, back comb, etc, my hair just lays there, practically dead. This spray, however, brings my hair to life. I have big, beautiful, bouncy hair!

I usually put it on when my hair is damp. I spray quite a bit all over my head and then work it in with my fingers. Then I let it sit for about 15 minutes while I do my makeup, and then blow dry upside down. When I am finished blow drying: voila! Big pretty hair that is full of life. I could kick any day's butt.

Note: You need to use a really good conditioner with this spray as it can be drying. One of the first ingredients is alcohol. I shampoo and then condition with something like Redkin Extreme, All Soft, or Paul Mitchell Super strong, and then sometimes I will put in a leave in like Redken Extreme anti snap, or It's a 10.

I get it at a beauty supply house for about 7 dollars a bottle, which is very cheap to me. But it runs about 12 bucks in department stores. It's totally worth every cent.

on 1/22/2013 8:15:00 PM

I bought a banged up bottle of this at TJ Maxx, with its aerosol sprayer gone. Decanted it into another spray bottle and, since apparently this stuff was so old it'd lost its scent, I put in a little orange essential oil to make it smell nice. What the hell. Anyway, tried it this morning on my super fine, thin, straight hair and YES! Very very good. I was actually accused of having Big Hair. I've never had big hair in my life. This stuff is drying, but after drying and styling I just put a little conditioner between the palms of my hands and rubbed it in and all was good, as close to perfect as my hair will get. I didn't give a 5 rating just because of the combo of dryness and no scent.

on 10/13/2012 8:41:00 PM

I have fine hair, and keep it short now - this stuff works better than any other of it's type that I have ever tried. I use it on towel dried hair, followed with a little bit of Redken's Align 12 straightening balm, wait till my hair is mostly dry, then hit it with the dryer, focusing on the roots. Use a round brush to style where needed, and it looks great....keeps my short shaggy hair full and sexy all day. Worth EVERY PENNY!!

on 9/26/2012 2:13:00 PM

Wow! Best volumizing product I've ever tried. I'm always trying new prodcuts claiming to bring flat hair to life: mousses, sprays, gels, etc. I have fine/thin hair and am a slave to teasing/backcombing just to get my hair to look normal. This stuff does stuff just what it says: adds fabulous body and texture. No need for teasing anymore. The best part about this product is I can be like a normal person and not have to wash my hair everyday, as it keeps oil at bay. Also, I found a huge bottle of this at TJ Maxx for $12.99. The only downside is it is slightly drying, my ends are starting to feel kinda crunchy.