People of the Labyrinths Luctor et Emergo

Filtered by eye Color : Blue
 People of the Labyrinths Luctor et Emergo

3.7

on 10/12/2014 1:14:00 PM

I don't understand all of the bad reviews for this POTL fragrance unless the formula has been changed since I bought mine. I bought my bottle several years ago and it's really nice. I bought this when it was all the rage on the boards and I was going through my powdery sweet heliotrope scent phase. The fragrance is in the family of playdough, heliotrope, grassy and cherry combined. If you like soft, chewy gourmand fragrances or fragrances like Serge Lutens Rahat Loukoum, Parfumerie Generale's Bois Blond (grassiness), L'Artisan Jour de Fete, Etro's Heliotrope, Ava Luxe Angel Face or Doll Face, then you may like POTL's Luctor et Emergo. The body cream is simply divine! Pricey but really luxurious and the fragrance lasts. I love the bottle of the fragrance. It's like a chemistry flask. I do feel like it's fragile and may break easily. I keep mine in the box. This is one of those fragrances that's worth having a decant of for when you're in the mood to wear it. Most would probably not consider the price tag worth it to purchase a whole bottle, since it's sort of a novelty type of fragrance, imo. I have a lot left of the fragrance and the body cream. I will probably never use it up, but if I did, I might go in on a split or purchase a decant.

Notes: green grass, white flowers, vanilla, almond, sour cherry and precious wood.

This fragrance opens with a fresh grass note enhanced by almond and vanilla. The effect is warm, slightly sweet but still vegetal enough not to be gourmand. You must suffer from pica if you wanted to eat whatever emanates this delicious smell. As the scent progresses, it loses the green grass note, increasing the vanilla, almond and white flower notes. In this stage the fragrance smells very milky and soapy, heavier on the vanilla than Louve and less almond-y. The dry-down is comprised of soft woods with a touch of sour cherry. Lasts four hours on my skin.

on 1/26/2010 11:32:00 AM

Love this fragrance, I love it best in EdT. It doesn't last less than the perfume btw. The EdT is a bit less smoky and sweeter than the EdP (that is why I prefer the EdT).
Lasting power is average, but layering with the bodycream it is great.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I actually only have decants of the EDP & EDT but I do own the body cream. My favorite aspects of this scent are the grass & incense notes. However, it seems to need warmer or drier weather to bring these notes out and since I now live in Portland, Oregon that's a problem. So I guess when we read reviews we not only have to factor in different skin chemistry issues but also climate issues. In our typical wet & somewhat cold climate here this just smells mostly of almond w/none of the incredible nuances that I love. BTW, the name translates to- I struggle and emerge.

on 4/26/2009 12:17:00 PM

When you first apply this product, it smells like someone threw a lump of play-doh at a christmas tree, but after 5 minutes it starts smelling like pure play-doh. The scent makes me feel very queasy. I personally hate this product, but if you like your wrist to smell like play-doh, this perfume is perfect for you!

on 6/25/2008 9:40:00 PM

After hearing all of the hype on this I purchased a sample from Lucky Scents. So far, I really, really like it. I have even gotten compliments on it in the short time that I have worn it.

The first day I wore it, I was mystified by the odd whiffs of play-doh that I got from time to time. But, by day two I either didn't notice the play-doh scent, or I decided that I like to smell like play-doh!

I will say that when you first apply the scent is amazingly complex, somewhat spicy and somewhat woodsy. (I feel like I detect the faint hint of cloves, which I normally hate, but it works with this). After the scent dries down the woodsiness comes out more (apparently along with a faint hint of play-doh???).

Anyway, I really do love this perfume. HOWEVER, and this is a big one, the jury is still out on whether or not I think it is worth $200. I don't know if anything smells THAT good to me. (except maybe a purse!)

on 4/23/2008 2:58:00 AM

This is the first time when I click on "most helpful" they are almost all very negative. I think some people love to hear something so lauded is overrated, I think people might want to hate this fragrance to prove they are not impressed with it's pedigre, who knows but people seem to enjoy bashing it.

The reputation for this juice is well deserved. Absolutely unique, wonderfully comforting and unisex, things may come close but nothing quite compares. You need to give it time to grow on you though, one sample may not be enough to really get hooked.

On first sniff I thought, this is everything I hate in a perfume, I can't believe I bought this unsniffed. Husband liked it and he wore it around for the day, I started to think it was ok on him but couldn't imagine having to smell it for more than a minute. I sprayed it on the silk scarf it came with ( a good way to get more bang for your sample) and over the next week I would pick it up and sniff once or twice a day (3 weeks later the scarf smells as strong as the first day). So it grows on me and I wear a little baby spritz on my sweater out one day and...I am hooked. I am incapable of wearing anything else right now, can't wait to put it on in the morning.

POTL LEM is like ethnic food...you try some unusual dish or drink offered at each meal and think, huh, this is odd. Then you try it again and like it a little and by the time you get home you find yourself thinking about it and craving it all the time and can't wait to go back and have it again.

It's probably not for everyone but have an open mind and give it some time to grow on you...but there are plenty of wonderful perfumes out there so if you don't get a chance to try this one or buy it you haven't missed too much either.

I really, really like POTL. I seem to get mainly sweet almondy woods, with just a touch of something spicy in the drydown, sometimes morphing to a sweet-woody-hay scent. I honestly don't detect the famous 'eau de playdough' accord on my skin, but sniffing from the bottle I do get a hint of it. I've never caught even a whiff of a floral here.

I bought a bottle and have been wearing it quite often. I do not consider it to be a sexy fragrance, but an interesting and unique one, appropriate for most venues. I believe it is not generally offensive to others. I have had only positive comments, and the ladies I work with are not shy about stating their views!

As far as the cult status, I am not bothered either way. If it falls out of fashion (or has it already?), I will continue wearing it. I have never smelled it on anyone else, and I enjoy the fragrance wafting about me. It is a bit expensive, but it is a large bottle that should last me a good long while in a rotation with a several other fragrances.

I do admit that the bottle could be prettier for this amount of money. I suppose they were going for a unisex look with the laboratory flask.

I will review this scent in a haiku:

I wanted to love
Was willing to pay a lot
Play-Doh plus Cherries

Summary: Not for me.

on 11/30/2007 5:11:00 PM

This is a very nostalgic and comforting doughy scent laced with hay, incense, vanilla, and cherries. My decant is almost gone (record depletion time), and I'm trying to resist getting a full bottle of this. It will only be a matter of time though, I fear. This is a love it or hate it scent, I recommend getting a sample or decant if you can before you purchase it. I love it (obviously). The cream is even better.

EDIT: I don't know why I gave this a four, I'm boosting him up to a 5. I wear it all the time.