People of the Labyrinths Luctor et Emergo

Filtered by hair type : Other
 People of the Labyrinths Luctor et Emergo

3.1

Skin: Dry, Other, Warm

At first, I really didn't like this. It goes on my skin smelling like a Cherry air freshener for your car, the red pine tree type dangly cheap ones. It has this nice, lovely potent incensey undertone, however, the base note is really nice. So initially it's got this alternating juxtaposition going on: strong, transparent, fake red cherry kid's-medicine-type smell and at the end of the same whiff, thick swirls of a very dignified, expensive sandal and benzoin incense. I was confused and off-put by the first hour or so. Then, it smelled like the remnants of cherry flavored pipe tobacco, with perhaps a remainder of some weed resin left in the pipe. This lasted around 40 minutes. Two hours later, YuM!!

This delicious, sweet wood note is coming out, very rich, deep and aromatic, just the right touch of dark golden ambery, benzoin-resinous harmonic tone. Now I want to emphasize, that instead of hitting me like a Scent, Full On, in your face, THIS SMELL, as it did the first hour, the second part EMANATES. It subdues. It entices. Now THIS I LIKE!!

I can see how on some this would potentially develop as Playdough, it does have a teeeeeensy tiny bit of saltiness, but on me it's more sweet, and the wood, though rounded and polished, keeps it grounded and real, not synthetic or perfumey smelling in the least. This benzoin is ungodly beautiful, but the question is: Can I keep subjecting myself to an hour of Cherrybomb torture for it? I made a girl give me a bad look in the bathroom and run out the door coughing for it. I felt her pain.

Oh, but the 2nd hour IS SOOO GOOD!!!! It makes it almost worth it. I don't know if I would call it "haunting" as some have, but this is certainly heavenly beautiful. It's sweet, thick, resinous, polished, smooth, woody-black- benzoin heaven.

Just to clarify: I smell no almond, and get no Playdoh development with my skin chemistry whatsoever. The cherry entirely disappeared by the 2nd and 3rd hour at the woody stage (after pipe tobacco). The tobacco note flitted in & out of the woods until the final drydown of vanilla incense.

on 10/23/2011 5:58:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Other, Other, Fine

Smells like cherry cough syrup, mothballs, almond candy and some sort of old fashioned perfume thing I've smelled in other perfumes but don't know the name for...
I hate it, which is good because it's too expensive for me anyway.

I have to say, I'm another underwhelmed customer. I'm hoping this is a skin chemistry thing, and on half of you out there, this is a truly amazing scent.

On me, I got the same notes repeated blow: opens with a strong hit of cherry brandy. Within 3 minutes--the fabled playdoh scent rose heavily off my wrist. And to clarify, it's not the kind you might have made in kindergarten from scratch with wheat. This is the trademark playdoh scent with that plastic edge edge to it.

So for 30 minutes cherry and playdoh wrestle for dominance, and playdoh mostly wins out.

And at drydown, smells exactly like Jergens Cherry Almond moisturizer. Save yourself $125 and go by a jumbo sized bottle of Jergens for $5.

*Has learned a lesson on hype*

on 5/16/2009 6:59:00 AM

Im going to do this review in stages because by the sounds of people's reviews it changes constantly. To start, Im getting cherry cough syrupy type whiffs, kind of strong. Not very appealing. Within minutes something that smells to me of cinnamon comes through the cherry and its actually a nice combo! I have to admit Im probably being more generous with my praise for this because of all the hype that surroundes it - its really hard to ignore! If this was a cheap drugstore perfume that someone gave me Id probably throw it at them! I get the FAINTEST whiff of playdoh and I mean faint, only when I inhale deeply.

on 4/22/2009 8:47:00 PM

Luctor et emergo. I struggle and arise - isn't that a great saying ! A great name for a perfume. I do like this - it is complex cherry and some tobacco - it's good. I don't get the playdoh aroma and it's not very sweet( Hypnotic Poison is what I call sweet ) and I wish I would because I LOVE the smell of PlayDoh ! I don't think this scent is 'me' though. With a name like that- I wanted a perfume that soared like Eau De Soir by Sisley . I am struggling with the cherry abit and I am not arising with the tobacco! Still love the name.
Long lasting and great scent.

For some reason, Luctor et Emergo generates feelings of near hysteria on the MUA Fragrance Board so it was with a bit of trepidation that I reached for it at Aedes in NYC to try. I had no idea what to expect and upon spraying, was shocked that Luctor et Emergo is basically a girlish almond and cherry blossom scent. It was pleasant enough (I would take this over the intense Pierre Frapin fragrances any day) but I am still puzzled that a grown women would want to smell like this.

Maybe for some people, Luctor et Emergo conjures up happier days of eating grandma's homemade cherry pie. Maybe it is the gratuitously weird name that bears no relation to the actual scent. Maybe it is the peculiar beaker bottles that draw one to POTL in general. In any event, Luctor et Emergo was a bit like the "Emperor with no clothes on" to me. Not much there once all was revealed.

From what I've been able to glean online, here are Luctor et Emergo's notes: sweet incense, vanilla, woods, cherry, almonds, marzipan, fresh grasses and white florals.

on 3/12/2008 11:24:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

Absolutely overrated. This has the sweetness of Sweet Oriental Dream, but none of the spice. The sillage is ridiculously low; I have to bury my nose against my wrist to smell it. Notes for me were sweetness and play-doh. I think this is much more appropriate for a child with very rich parents than any adult. Sorry, folks.

on 12/15/2007 12:10:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

i detested this at first, until the holidays hit and i had a craving for something sweet, almondy, buttery....mmmm. i busted out my sample from LS and the cinnamon marzipan buttery rich goodness hit the spot... i dont think ill buy a FB as its a bit pricy and i tend to only gravitate towards 'foody' fragrances during the holiday season. ill probably get a 5ml decant from perfumed court.

I get cherry play-doh. Play-doh has bad connotations for me as I am forever vacuuming it out of my child's carpet. Therefore, I will not be wearing this again.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Maraschino cherries. I've tried my 1 sample 5 times and all I get is Maraschino Cherries. *sigh*. I like Maraschino cherries, but to eat, not to wear.......what is all that nonsense about the bottle not being near full because the perfume molecules need space or something? Who thought that up? I never heard of any other perfume where the perfume needed breathing room. Anyway, if I ever want to spend a lot of money to smell like maraschino cherries, I'll know who to order from. The name is great "The People Will Emerge", but that's about it.