People of the Labyrinths Luctor et Emergo

Filtered by skin type : Oily
 People of the Labyrinths Luctor et Emergo

3.5

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

I am a fragrance sample junkie. For me, fragrance is the elixer of life, lots of flirtations but I could never just settle down with any one fragrance. Every few months, I buy a handful of samples from LuckyScent, and sit them on my desk where I work, and when the mood captures me, dab one on.

People of the Labyrinths was completely underwhelming the first time on. I just smelled the sweet cherry, and it was just so blah and one-dimensional, I couldn't understand the hype. Well, actually, I put it in the category of fragrances that are super mainstream, generic department store scents, which always have turned me off.

But the beauty of having a sample for me, is that I get to try it again and again. And, well, People started to soar, and I started to get that addict-need-a-fix. My final evaluation: People is a gold standard fragrance, very well made and of classic potential.

on 9/28/2008 10:28:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse

I LOVE this. I've been wearing it for special occasions over the last 5 years. I like to keep it special. On me it has deep cherry notes at the beginning, it gets spicy and woody as it develops, and it lasts a long time smelling like violin rosin. I play the violin, and I happen to love the smell of rosin, so wearing this is makes me feel both elated and nostalgic. I must be anosmic to "play-doh" (a survival technique I've developed from having had to clean it off my floors countless times over the years), but my husband claims he smells "play-doh" the instant he gets a whiff of POTL. To me it's cherry-tobacco-rosin. Lasting power isn't very good (edp), unfortunately.

on 6/16/2008 12:51:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

I ordered a decant from perfumed court based on the raves that this received in the frag board. I opened the package and sprayed it on myself, eager to experience the almond and cherry bliss that was described on the board. I did not. What I did experience was a smell of what I can assume would be the equivalent of being dipped in incense. Gross. I don't smell cherries or almonds at all. Just incense. Up for swap this goes. And in the shower I go, to get this gross crap off of me. I don't think I have ever been this disgusted by a fragrance.

on 3/13/2007 9:09:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

---Before I begin with the review, let me explain what" cult status" really implies: basically you take a mildly pleasant perfume (which this is) and attach an exorbitant price tag. People get curious and try samples, most like it ok, and some are rich (or impulsive) enough to buy. These few automatically bring attention to the fragrance as others are driven to find out what cause the" crazy" behavior, and they talk about it, making it seem like a very popular fragrance. Notice that this is not a case of a" special" fragrance as much as" special" people. Those who tried it and were not impressed experience cognitive dissonance and rationalize the irrational by thinking POTL must actually be superbly well blended, complex or indulgent. Thus, the greater the gap between price/popularity and quality, the greater a rationalization is required to justify it. Again, the reason this gets attention is out of pure human instinct to understand the values and rules of their society; it has nothing to do with the perfume.----- Now, then. This is pretty good. However, the high price demands high standards. 1). This is a very "dough"-y fragrance, either play-doh or almond dough, that's spiked with cherry. It is both strongly sweet and strongly salty. Thusly, it is not sophisticated. Minus one lippe. Regarding the morphing effect some others experienced, I think my nose adjusted to the dough smell so I was able to detect the other ingredients dumped into this, but when I asked others what they smelled they all said play-dough or cherry. This leads me to think the morphing is just due to the weak sillage requiring the wearer to smell it up close, which means the nose numbed to the dominant notes enough to sense the background. Speaking of... 2). Very bad sillage. I applied 1/4 of the sample vial before going out and when I arrived, people already could not smell it from more than half a foot away. Minus another lippy. 3). Lasting power is a few hours. There goes the third. Conclusion: Unless you grew up in a bakery and find the smell of almonds particularly comforting, this is just not worth it.

Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral

Not a bad scent, but I do not get the hype on this one. Not surprising as that is usually the case for me. I get tricked by the words "cult following". Really what that means is there are a few people who love it and are very dedicated to it. Fine by me. The smell is not offensive, it is actually pretty good, but I do not really see much special about it. I have smelled things like this before. It really does remind me a littl eof cherry and vanilla pipe tobacco together. I like that scent, but it just sweet and smokey. Nothing really life changing. Not worth the price tag imho. I am pretty sure that you could have something very similar mixed up in a cheap fragrance oil for 5-10 bucks.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

I am reviewing the perfume this time ,it is different than my earlier one for EDT. This does not have the cherry note and no plastic type opening(I never noticed that before on the other. But some do. It lasts the same time but in a more deep way. This is not for everyone as you love it or you dont and it is notone you want to wear every day. It is a gotya scent and grabs on tight so you must smell it again and again , check my earlier review for my impressions.

on 5/29/2005 12:25:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

I have wanted to try this for the cherry /smokey smell and all the other peoples reaction to this. Well it does not dispoint,I do not get the cherry but a Brown Bar in Amsterdam comes to mind. With a gentlely burning fireplace ,very woody. Deep& full smell of incense is wonderful ,that melts into skin but also a sillage that is around but not annoying in any way. Like fine Silk goes with Tweed is how it feels .I am a goner as I love it to bits, so not trusting myself alone I asked DH to try it .Explaining to him it is not just a female scent. Wow it is better on him if that is possible, he said it is the best one I have tested yet. And asked if I have any more as he would wear it,that really surprised me. On him I smelled a rich pipe & port tobacco, heliotrope, weed,and a grassy smell. Not a dirty smell a very clean tobacco, of the finest blend with a single malt scotch on side. One thing is sure it is hard to stop sniffing your wrist while wearing it, and it lasts a long time on skin. I was only testing the EDT wow I bet the pure Parfum is wild. One thing I disagree about is that it is sexy, hip, chic, yes ,unusual most surely ..sexy not so much. I must buy a full bottle or try to barter for a decant to this fantastic scent .Off to smell it more,sigh

on 4/19/2005 9:34:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

I am not a sweet-scent person, so this fragrance wasn't created for my body chemistry, but my friend, who let me sniff her sample of this, loves sweet frags (and wears them very well) & even she doesn't "get" this one. The synthetic cherry smell overpowers everything else about it... this is very little-girlish, not upscale or sophisticated at all, and waaaaaay overpriced. The bottle is gorgeous, though.

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I like this. I am not sure I love it, because this scent is a chameleon. It changes depending on you and your enviroment, I've learned after testing.
Sometimes it smells very incensey and a bit musky; other times it smells a bit masculine and woody, and sometimes it's very cherry/almond/vanilla.

I find it fascinating because of the changing nature of the scent, and it never smells "bad" on me, just better than others, sometimes. I have the EDT and I'm not disappointed. I got this on a grand sale and am thrilled- still it's incredibly expensive.

I guess for the price, it should be my No. 1 scent, but it's not. I don't know if I will re-buy it, if I ever run out.

Edited: swapping this one away. Heliotrope scents just aren't me. I swapped away Jaipur Saphir, and this one. I also do not like L'Heure Bleue. Something about it gets to be "too much" for me.

on 4/28/2004 10:59:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

This fragrance envelops you completely in a way that few perfumes do. I think this is the key to its (cult) popularity. Yes, the smell of cherries is predominant, but it's not a sweet scent and I never smelled the almonds or sugar. It's not my Holy Grail but I'll keep my decant and wear it in minute amounts when I want something different.

Popular Fragrances