People of the Labyrinths Luctor et Emergo

Filtered by skin tone : Fair
 People of the Labyrinths Luctor et Emergo

3.4

on 10/12/2014 1:14:00 PM

I don't understand all of the bad reviews for this POTL fragrance unless the formula has been changed since I bought mine. I bought my bottle several years ago and it's really nice. I bought this when it was all the rage on the boards and I was going through my powdery sweet heliotrope scent phase. The fragrance is in the family of playdough, heliotrope, grassy and cherry combined. If you like soft, chewy gourmand fragrances or fragrances like Serge Lutens Rahat Loukoum, Parfumerie Generale's Bois Blond (grassiness), L'Artisan Jour de Fete, Etro's Heliotrope, Ava Luxe Angel Face or Doll Face, then you may like POTL's Luctor et Emergo. The body cream is simply divine! Pricey but really luxurious and the fragrance lasts. I love the bottle of the fragrance. It's like a chemistry flask. I do feel like it's fragile and may break easily. I keep mine in the box. This is one of those fragrances that's worth having a decant of for when you're in the mood to wear it. Most would probably not consider the price tag worth it to purchase a whole bottle, since it's sort of a novelty type of fragrance, imo. I have a lot left of the fragrance and the body cream. I will probably never use it up, but if I did, I might go in on a split or purchase a decant.

on 3/11/2014 4:03:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

If you want to smell like a hamster's cage, buy this perfume...

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

When first applied, this is mostly a creamy sandalwood and honeyed cedar scent with hints of a sweet, slightly powdery, cherry marzipan type of smell. It actually smells almost exactly like Arcana perfume oils' Shambhala fragrance (only Shambhala is lacking the hint of cherry/marzipan). There's also a touch of something that smells salty and sort of like olives.
As it dries down, the lovely wood notes disappear and the cloying cherry & vanilla amps up on my skin. It starts to remind me of almond extract and cherry cough syrup with an extra dose of sickly sweet vanilla sugar. Way too sweet almond extract. It gets sweeter and worse the longer it's on and is really strong on my skin.
All in all, Luctor et Emergo reminds me of some of the headshoppy perfume oils I've tried more than a mainstream fragrance. I quite like the woodiness when I first apply the scent, but the cloying vanilla & almond extract drydown is sickening to me. And I think this fragrance is kinda overpriced at $140-190 for 90-100mls.

on 10/23/2011 5:58:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Other, Other, Fine

Smells like cherry cough syrup, mothballs, almond candy and some sort of old fashioned perfume thing I've smelled in other perfumes but don't know the name for...
I hate it, which is good because it's too expensive for me anyway.

on 9/21/2009 3:21:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Huh? I don`t get the huge love for this one... To me this smells like yogi tea without the milk and the sugar mixed with a "big red" bubble gum.. I think I would like it better if it had a more creamy note to it but I find its spices hurt my nose.
If you like this but just not enough, try aqua di parma`s mandorlo di sicilia. They did the bitter almond right imo. This smells like something unfinished.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I actually only have decants of the EDP & EDT but I do own the body cream. My favorite aspects of this scent are the grass & incense notes. However, it seems to need warmer or drier weather to bring these notes out and since I now live in Portland, Oregon that's a problem. So I guess when we read reviews we not only have to factor in different skin chemistry issues but also climate issues. In our typical wet & somewhat cold climate here this just smells mostly of almond w/none of the incredible nuances that I love. BTW, the name translates to- I struggle and emerge.

on 4/26/2009 12:17:00 PM

When you first apply this product, it smells like someone threw a lump of play-doh at a christmas tree, but after 5 minutes it starts smelling like pure play-doh. The scent makes me feel very queasy. I personally hate this product, but if you like your wrist to smell like play-doh, this perfume is perfect for you!

What hype! But I really hate this fragrance on my skin and clothes...

I got the "playdoh" comment when I wore it, though I can't seem to take that away from the fragrance... Maybe because I'm too busy with the intense HEADACHE it gives me.

This fragrance is obnoxious. The best I can say is it's like Obsession left out on a rainy night in someone's car, someone who smokes cigars. Blech. No thank you....

But I was SOOOO intrigued by the packaging/hype.

on 3/15/2009 1:18:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

I purchased this 4 years ago and is still one of my favorite fragrances. I get lots of cherry sweetness at first, then it dries down to a smoky sweet grass and incense scent. I know this fragrance gets lots of Play-Doh comments, but on my skin that has never been an issue. It takes me back to days of young autumn days with a slight chill in the air, candles lit, and the last days of summer burning out.

I do believe this is a love or hate fragrance. The price is out there, so I keep mine locked away safely until the next time I want to relive comforting memories.

Staying power is quite good for me, I can still smell a faint drydown at the end of the day.

There has been a lot of hype surrounding Luctor et Emergo, but I think it is warranted. It's one of those fragrances that polarizes people- some love it, some hate it. I happen to love it- but probably for the very reasons some hate it. I find it strange and inconsistent, and at times it does smell like a cheap cherry thrill at a dive bar or a trashy air freshener. But it can also be the most perfect blend of hay on a hot summers day and the cherry cigarillos I used to smoke in high school. Or it can be sweet, doughy and edible like a pastry. These offbeat, unexpected changes are what makes the scent so multi-faceted and addicting. I'm not sure if it is blended to purposefully behave in that manner or it was a fluke- either way I don't care: it's something special and I enjoy the eccentricity. It lasts well, especially on clothing- one spray clung to a coat of mine for over 2 days. I would love to smell this on a man and can't wait to see how it wears in humid summer heat. In terms of packaging, the red flocked box, silk scarf and beaker bottle are all great and very much in keeping with the scent. However, I hate the lid on the bottle! It is flimsy (I could squash it between my thumb and forefinger if I wanted) and could surely be improved.

Popular Fragrances