Avon Cotillion

Price: $

Price: $

on 1/4/2015 3:26:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Cotillion caught my eye because I have been reading a bunch of reviews regarding the fact that older budget fragrances have more quality raw ingredient than the high end niche perfumers today. I have been particularly interested in Persian Wood and Cotillion because of the scarcity of sandalwood.

Cotillion is described as soft, sweet, spicy oriental with a powder finish, and I would agree with that. Sweeter and slightly spicier than Persian Wood. No strong pungency from carnation compared to EL Spellbound, mitsouko extrait, or floris malmaison. Cotillion is softly rounded in the same way as vintage Caron Poivre, but far quieter and less spicy.

I used to be a big fan of Serge Lutens (and own over 15 SL full bottles). Cotillion is softer and far less throat scratching than something like fourreau noire or fumerie turque, or FM musc ravageur or vintage Guerlain le heure bleue. However, those who don't like soft powder scents may want to steer clear. Not as blatantly oriental as Shalimar or opium.

Not quite as unisex as Persian wood or even To a Wild Rose, but if you would consider wearing a feminine Guerlain, Lutens or Malle, then cotillion is a possibility. It could be worn either in the office or at night.

My bottle does not appear to be light damaged, but it's very probable that it's become softer with age.

When buying avon vintage perfume on line, I recommend buying bottles that have been stored in their boxes as there will be less chance of degradation from light.

on 6/3/2011 11:42:00 PM

its an ok powdery scent smells very vintage like you would expect

on 7/9/2006 3:56:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

Here are some random images...guys like it and compliment...I remember which ones...when I heard it was created in the '30s I thought "Yes!"...Karen Black's Faye Greener in "Day of the Locust", I can see this on her dresser and can visualize this dresser facing one of the windows of the '30s row bungelow she shares with her dad and the unrelenting Los Angeles sun that's only partually blocked by some gaze curtins and the dresser's mirror...an edgey, primative Nanadebary with its peppery powderiness...slightly disturbing 'cause I picture its wearer as a very un-deb (Moi!), but like Faye Greener its wearer would aspire to the heights of a cotillion yet never...but in her own way, make some kind of debute or another. This is a sexy B-movie frag. The bottle I just swapped away is great and the label is even better, but its tall, plain brushed silver generic cylinder cap ruins the whole effect.

on 11/2/2003 11:45:00 PM

My mom sold Avon when I was a child and Cotillion was one of the first scents I ever knew. I loved it then (1960's)and was pleased to see it offered again not too long ago.
I still love its soft, "lady-like" fragrance. Yep, it is old-fashioned, but since when is that necessarily bad?

on 9/28/2003 4:00:00 PM

This fragrance works wonders with my body chemistry. It starts off a little sweet and traditional, but quickly changes to a luscious cinnamon sort of fragrance. Everyone who smells this on me thinks it's wonderful, but I doubt it would be the same on other people. I generally can't stand Avon perfumes, but this one is special.

on 2/28/2003 5:44:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

Avon brings back Cotillion from time to time. The current
bottle looks a lot like the Champs Elysees bottle but with a fuschia
pink top. Cotillion is a sweet, powdery, spicy oriental.
Bergamot, spicy carnation, iris, hint of lavender, light sandalwood,
hint of vanilla and incense. Cotillion has similarities to
Or des Indes, Floris Malmaison, YSL Paris.

Popular Fragrances