Elizabeth Arden Eight Hour Cream

3.6

Petrolatum 56.8%, Lanolin, Mineral Oil, Fragrance, Salicylic Acid, Propylparaben, Castor Oil, Corn Oil, Tocopherol, BHT, Iron Oxides

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I love love this cream. Took me a while to get used to the smell but I use it every night now and always wake up with the softest and smoothest lips. It's thick but not too greasy and you can really feel it working which is why I love it so much. Does wonders on dry skin all over the body too, had horrendous dry skin around my nose a while back after a killer cold so I put some of this on whilst I slept and woke up with smooth and soothed skin. AMAZING

I was very stupid and didn't wear sunscreen over the weekend and spent the day in the sun. My face burned so bad my eyes were swollen the next day. I treated it with aloe Vera right away but my skin was still dry and peeling. I went to shopper's drug mart and asked what I could use for relief. The girl recommended this cream, said the lavendar in it would calm my skin. I didn't care I was desperate to try anything. The price was steep though! So she put a bunch in a little jar for me to last the week and try for free. It was my miracle cream! It gave me relief, reduced my swelling and kept the peeling at bay to the point I was able to apply makeup over top the next day to hide some of my redness from the burn when I went to work. I would definitely buy this if I ever have any kind of issue with my skin where it is thirsting for moisture. My normal skin would have found it too thick and moisturizing but for irritated, dry skin, this was perfect!

To Read all 452 Reviews, Login or Join

One of my favourite products of all time. I use it on my lips, elbows, knees, but mostly all over my face (I don't know if that's weird but I have eczema and a really difficult acne prone/sensitive/ extremely dry skin type so the salicylic acid + heavy duty moisturisers in this make my skin amazingly smooth!) I know most people don't like the smell but it's really grown on me now I've been using it for so long, definitely recommend if you have super dry skin. Only thing that's a bit annoying is how expensive it is, but definitely worth it :)

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I used this on my lips at night for years and was quite happy with it. It moisturised my lips well. I tried it on other parts of my body but didn't like it as it was so sticky and never really sank in properly. For me, it's not worth the price. I find that Aquaphor does the same thing for a fraction of the price, so after buying that, I've never looked back.

I'm not as infatuated with this product as many others, but it does have its uses. It seems to work wonders for my hand dermatitis. My hand dermatitis takes the form of hardened skin between two fingers with generous amounts of peeling, and hand cream and moisturisers seems to make it worse whereas vaseline and this stuff helps.

I rub a generous amount of the 8 hour cream into my hands at night and sleep with cotton gloves. It's not all gone, but reduced by approximately half in one week. If it goes completely away I'll update to let you know. And anyway it certainly works better than the steroid ointment my GP prescribed for it.

The other thing I use this ointment for is my lips. The cons is the sticky texture and the smell. You get used to the smell, but it's still unpleasant.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

It smells strongly of lanolin but it's the only thing that helps my dry, scaly elbows. Good on lips and all kinds of scars, too

I will always have this on hand. It is a miracle worker for me. The best lip balm ever. It also tames fly aways (very very light hand) and helps with dry skin. It lasts forever and ever. I use constantly and still have plenty. I love the tube as it is so convenient to just throw in my bag. It has been around forever for good reason.

Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm

Let's tackle this claim by claim, shall we?
What it is:
Not a cream. A very thick, semi-translucent, dark-tinted ointment with the consistency of drying glue. So you know right away that this isn't something you can luxuriously slather on. It's not fast-absorbing. This will stay put on your skin for hours, which makes it a fantastic a protective barrier, but a terrible product if you want an immediately moisturised effect. It smells medicinal (there's a fragrance free version) but the scent doesn't linger beyond 3 minutes. It's not the worst thing to smell.
What It does:
Oh boy! This claims to be the skincare version of the WD-40 spray that can clean, lubricate, fight rust, unstick gum and do 200 other things. Eight Hour Cream says it can do everything from soften cuticles and fix flyaways to gloss up cheeks and fight dry patches.
What it did for me:
As a lip balm: THE BEST DAMN THING I EVER PUT ON MY LIPS! No breakouts, no problems with Retro Matte lipsticks on top. No smearing. No stickiness. No trouble. Lips went from winter to summer overnight. If you only use this as a lip balm, you've still made a great purchase.
As a cuticle softener: I had to massage like a beast to warm up and thin out the consistency and used it overnight. Worked as well as Vaseline.
To tame flyaways: Rubbish. My strands were still all over the place, and a lot greasier.
To moisturise dry patches: YESSS! I had a dry, itchy, flaky nose from a bad cold. This has been a lifesaver. Again, an overnight rescuer. Though I used it 3X a day.
As a brow groomer: Eww. My brows remained determinedly untamed, but shinier. Stick to brow gel.
As a brow conditioner: About as good as Vaseline.
As a cheek highlighter: Ah yes. That old story about runway models using it to accentuate their features. On us regular folks, the cream will give you glossy cheeks for exactly 1 minute (the time it takes to walk the runway, I'd imagine, or take a selfie) and then all the glossiness will dry up. So meh.
For cuts and cracked heels: Yes and no! Did nothing for shoebite or doggie-paw scratches. Nivea is nicer in that multitasking department. But healed cracked heels faster than Nivea.
As a makeup remover: NOOOOO! You'll need half a tube, making it a pretty expensive emergency aid. All it did was break down the products,makeup. I still needed to cleanse after. So you may as well use a make-up remover to start with.
As a glossy sheen over bare lids or under eyeshadow: STOP! You'll have gummy, sticky lids for 1 minute, no visible sheen after 5 minutes and oily lids for the rest of the day. And it does not work well with shadows.
As an in-flight moisturiser: Actually yes. But spritz water on your face before application so it locks the moisture in.
As a lash definer: No difference. Don't bother.
On burns. Alas, I did not scorch myself in the interests of this experiment.

All in all, I'd buy this again if it was on discount. It's killer as a lipbalm and dry-spot rescue salve, but average (sometimes below average) at everything else. You'll be disappointed if you expect all-round miracles, but it does work exceptionally well for a small set of problems.

This stuff is okay, but not quite worth the hype. Basically glorified, expensive Vaseline with icky fragrance. Anyway, if you can get past that stuff, it is pretty moisturizing and versatile! But then, so is Vaseline.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I bought this after seeing so many great reviews around. I use this every single day as a lip balm, I've had the same tube for over a year and there's still plenty left. I have never used a better quality lip balm. This is definitely an HG product for me. Will repurchase again and again. You only need the smallest amount to get super smooth lips for several hours. No need to reapply more than once or twice in a day for me.