Clearasil Vanishing Cream

Filtered by skin tone : Fair-Medium
Clearasil Vanishing Cream

3.9

Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine

I picked this up as a last resort for my acne, which must be hormonal because I recently had my IUD removed. I was getting small pimples all around my chin and mouth, with large cystic pimples that would not go away no matter what I did. One literally remained on my forehead for over 3 weeks. I was fed up and having never tried benzol peroxide, opted for this. It was cheap $5.95 at Walmart.
I tried a thin layer as a spot treatment with no results. The following week I tried it in a thick layer as a spot treatment. I started to see improvement the next morning. My big cystic pimples had subsided and the smaller ones were drying up.
I have continued to use it and it does work for cystic pimples. Its a no go on the tiny closed comedones, causing me to believe they may be something else than acne...possibly a fungal infection?
It has a few downfalls. Its very drying and leaves dry patches on the skin with continued use to the same area. It causes dark spots where the pimples use to be which are not easy to get rid of.
It cannot be used under make up because it will be white and patchy in a few hours.

All in all for the price its a good value. There is a lot of product for the price and the packaging is good and simple.

I pair it with a 2% plain Greek yogurt masque once weekly (hello lactic acid!) Which helps get rid of thebdry spots and dark marks on my face. I also use a baking powder scrub once a week to help remove dead skin cells and aid in clearing my blemishes.
I think you have to have a good skin care regiment to use this product..otherwise it could wreak havoc on your skin.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I have the 10% BP formula. Used to use this a lot as a preteen before I started going to the dermatologist. It serves as a good spot treatment in an emergency/desperate situation (as in I don't have any more prescription treatment left). However, this contains "Isopropyl Myristate" which is HIGHLY COMEDOGENIC. I understand it's a moisturizing agent for such a drying acne treatment (10% BP); but I'd rather not slather this all over my face if it's just gonna cause more pimples (which on me, anything that's even mildly comedogenic will most likely break me out). As I said, I only use this as a spot treatment when I have no other option. I wouldn't recommend this product to anyone with very acne-prone skin.

on 4/19/2014 5:40:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

I use it everyday mixed with moisturizer (a dab of each in my hands gets rubbed together, then covers my face & neck). It keeps my skin clear until I get those once-a-month hormonal breakouts & then I use it as a spot treatment at night. It doesn't keep me totally clear during that time, but it helps keep things from getting out of control. It works better than salicylic acid treatments on my skin & I actually get compliments on my great skin! After having terrible skin as a teen, I will keep using this because it obviously works!

on 1/11/2014 11:34:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I originally bought this a few years ago and it cured my acne! I would have an occasional cystic acne appear, but usually just your usual case of hormonal acne. Salicylic acid has always helped my acne but never cleared it completely. It's effects were never strong enough or good enough for me to be satisfied with my complexion until I found this. I apply it at night right before bed after washing my face, then using witch hazel (which is amazing). It worked so well that I thought my acne was cured and thought I didn't need to use it anymore, but sadly my acne came back after a week (in order for BP to work you must keep using it) and now I've started using it and it's gone once again. It does make your skin appear a little paler, but who cares when you're going to bed. It took a few days for the initial itchiness to go away from using it and my skin to get used to it, and just 3 days for my acne to go away completely :) you're skin will be a little dry when first using it too but once your skin adjusts it balances again. Also you only need to apply a thin layer! seriously don't know what I'd do without this!! BUY IT! Will cure cystic & regular acne breakouts!

on 9/19/2013 5:00:00 PM

At first, this acne cream worked wonders for me.

After applying it at night, my face would be acne-free in the morning. However, it would be a bit dry.

Nothing horrible happened to my face after using it for 2-3 months. It simply made my face free of acne.

But after a while of using Clearasil Vanishing Cream, my face would grow red, itchy, and a bit bumpy/puffy around the forehead, cheeks, and nose area!I also noticed that this product left my skin really, really dry.

I believe that this product has ruined my skin. It was great when I first began to use it, but after a while, it started to damage my skin by making it excessively red and itchy. Made my face look like it broke out in a rash.

I would not use this product again, and I'm throwing the remaining contents in the trash. Definitely not for me.

But as a tip, ALWAYS put on moisturizer after using this. I didn't do that, and this is the result.

on 8/19/2013 11:13:00 PM

This works like a charm!!!! it shrinks my pimples crazy fast and clears my face up so well. Before this product, my face was so red and bumpy.

I should have been wary of the 10% BP in this product...I'm an avid user of Neutrogena's Spot Treatment with 2.5% in it. I recently ran out of that one, which is my favorite, but I decided to venture out and get this Clearasil one. I have acne prone oily skin, and I've never considered to be sensitive, but this product irritated my skin quite a bit! It left red patches on the area of the pimple---I'm not sure if it even healed the pimple. I stopped using it immediately, realizing the effects of just how strong 10% BP really is. I'm going back to my Neutrogena one, and should have never EVER strayed. And so guys, BEWARE! It may have worked well for some of the reviewers here, but sadly for me it made my acne flareups even worse. The dry, reddish, and sometimes itchy patches that resulted from where I put this product managed to go away in about a week, with the help of an intensive moisturizer.

I admit I'm perfectly aware of the nefarious effects Benzoyl Peroxide has on the skin but decided to keep using it anyway because nothing else beats the crap out of those giant mofos that keep trying to appear during my ToM...well RetinA can probably give BP a run for its money being a pretty good zit & scar vanquisher in its own right without the negative aging effects of BP....but it's also quite a bit more expensive and usually requires a prescription.

I've tried a few acne spot treatments in the past::

DHC Acne Spot Therapy, Erzulie Oxygen Blemish Treatment, and Clean & Clear Persa-Gel. And in terms of LONG TERM effectiveness, Clearasil beats all these clear out of the water. The DHC & Erzulie only worked initially and decided to stop working after a couple of months. The Persal Gel- loved by some- and also as a user of BP doesn't quite work as well for me as Clearasil possibly because it's a gel and rubs right off my skin.

Like all acne spot treatment, this stuff works best when you start to feel that little mofo coming up. You only need a little bit of this to stuff cover the incipient zit and you need to apply it multiple times through out the day. Make sure not to apply too much and only apply it on the necessary area otherwise you are going to get disgusting dry and flakey skin.

For zits that are already doing a celebratory dance on your face, this stuff can help shrink them to an extent...but don't expect any miracles and in the end you're probably gonna have to squeeze the damn thing until it's bled dry.

For about 5-6 bucks at Target, the Vanishing Cream is a bargain and most importantly it works...if you don't mind BP.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

This works pretty well. It clears my troubled spots within a few days.

This single handedly ruined my skin. I started getting a hormonal breakout before a big day and picked up this cream at the drugstore to stop the breakout. It does stop the pimple in its tracks, but then the pimple just stays under the skin. It has been over a month and I now have 3 red/brown spots where i put the cream, on, and they are not fading away!! Since then i have had another pimple come out and i did NOT use the cream on it, and it faded away, so i know the red marks are from this cream. I'm really worried, as i have no idea how long these marks will be on my skin, but i just want them to go away.

My skin has had a reaction to one daytime-lotion previously, so i may have more sensetive skin than others, but if you have sensetive skin, maybe use it on one pimple, and see what happens, before putting it all over.