Clinique Different Lipstick - Surprise

Clinique Different Lipstick - Surprise

4.5

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Curly, Fine

The others said it best, a mauvey rose with bronze shimmer but not disco 90's. Well done.

I feel it will be my staple for the fall, not sure about spring, I just got it, but this is a really nice shade.

on 4/24/2015 9:45:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Like many of you, I got this as a GWP (so no comment on price or packaging).
Like many of you, I rolled it up and said a mental 'ugh'.
In the tube this is a deep metallic bronze. Now I am your classic green eyed freckled gal that should look great in metallic bronze, but lets not go there.
Do you remember the 90s? I do. Google it. Brown lipstick was no ones friend, not even those of us it should have looked good on.
My daughter is 6 and less picky about her makeup, so I set this aside to give to her.
Like many of you, I looked at the reviews on MakeupAlley before handing the tube over.
Like many of you, I backed myself up and gave it just one swipe.
And now I love it.
On my lips, it is a soft plummy brown with enough shimmer to avoid the 90s. I look warm, healthy, not too obvious.
I have none of the 90s, too pale foundation, matte brown lipstick with obvious liner problems that I feared.
This was was indeed a 'surprise'; the formula lasts a good few hours, doesn't dry me out, and the shade is incredibly work friendly; and the real shock...it is a nicer plummy brown on me than the cult classic Black Honey. I know. Surprised.

To Read all 45 Reviews, Login or Join

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Red, Relaxed, Coarse

Sure this is a different lipstick! It's HORRIBLE!!!
I got the Sugar Grapefruit one today as a gift with a purchase and although it is a beautiful pink shimmer color, it dried out my lips worse than a hot summer day! My lips got so painfully chapped when I applied it I almost cried. I have applied two different lip balms on my lips to help them out and they are still in pain.
Would never purchase for full price, ever.

on 12/14/2013 12:20:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Other

I got this in a GWP. It's a great color! Looks frosty brown in the tube but when you put it on -- Surprise! It looks sort of mauve. I pair it up with Rimmel's Pink Zinfandel nail polish and I could wear it for weeks at at time. I usually wear reds and oranges, but this is a really great color for me!

on 10/20/2012 3:33:00 PM

I love Clinique's different lipsticks, however some of the shades do not give enough color payoff.
That is not the case with this lovely shade. This bronzey, mauvey shade is perfect for Fall. One great benefit of this shade is that it makes my teeth look very white! (I am fair-skinned with pink undertones and have green eyes)

on 12/31/2011 12:02:00 AM

A gorgeous shade that is definitely a surprise! In the tube it looks very bronze and dark, but on the lips it is more of a raspberry with bronze overtones. Gorgeous!

on 4/25/2010 6:54:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Perhaps, the sexiest lipstick I own next to my red Revlon one. I don't care for dark shades of lipcolor, but this one is yes, a surprise. Pair it with Mac's Tempting eyeshadow or a simple light eye shadow, and you've got a winner. I've got plenty of winks from this. Try it!

on 2/3/2010 10:38:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair, Cool

The "different" formula is the only Clinique formula I can wear without irritation. I've been wearing Shy for 8 years, as a great everyday base color, but just discovered Surprise. What a fantastic shade! Bronze in the tube, deep rosy gold on - like a warmer take on MAC Lustre in Capricious. I can see it working well on other skin tones (I'm so pale I'm almost blue). Give it a try!

I was definitely "surprised" and love this color! In the tube a bronzy brown, on my hand another color, on my lips a dusky rose color. I can see this as possibly HG neutral color that will match with everything. I got it at the military BX for $12, so I'm definitely happy with the price.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

My staple! My go-to lipstick! I have used this for YEARS. I'd say maybe 6 years now. This works well in any season and with any outfit, day and night. My favorite lipstick I own. I love the consistency and it lasts well.