Chanel Eye Shadow Base (Base Ombre a Paupieres)

Chanel Eye Shadow Base (Base Ombre a Paupieres)

3.5

on 11/2/2016 7:58:00 PM

I really do like this stuff. The cost of it kind of blows, but I think it's worth the price. Does the packaging suck? Yeah... but a little goes a long way with this primer.

on 9/26/2016 12:28:00 PM

I was excited about this product, but it was difficult to apply. It did not blend well and it actually brought attention to the fine lines in the corner of my eyes. I do say it holds the shadow well. My lids are oily and my shadow stayed all day.

on 4/1/2016 2:22:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

A lovely Chanel sales associate at Macy's put some of this product on my eyelids and under my eyes, while showing me how to use an eye shadow palette I had just purchased from her. Unfortunately, this product irritated my skin. I didn't realize how bad the irritation was until after I got home and washed my face. My entire eye area looked red, and it felt like I had poured boiling water over it. It's been over 24 hours since the incident, and my eye area still feels dry and very sore. I also think the irritated skin is going to peel off within a few days. I have pretty tough skin, but something in this product did not agree with me. I've never had anything like this happen to me before. If you have sensitive skin, beware!

on 1/5/2014 4:14:00 PM

So before I began I needed to go look at the reviews to see why this wasnt rated higher. I absolutely love it. I have no issues with it being dry or drying out. I have year round allergy sinus issues and I guess I tend to touch my eyes a bit more than the next person. This really keeps my eyeshadow on all day. I love eyeshadow, I layer it and take my time. I let the primer dry full first before applying the eyeshadow and its perfect. All night. I wish I didnt like it as much because its too damn expensive. The color I have is beige and Im Olive complexion. I've used it with Chanel eyeshadows and also MAC eyeshadows. I never have any issues with creasing. I do have large eyes- think Mila Kunis- so I do have a lot of eyelid to work with. Perhaps its not working for people with more Asian type eyes and less eyelid? I dont know, but I love it.

I used this in Bright this morning and thus far I've had my eye make-up on for 5 hours. Usually by this point I have major creases and have lost half the color on my lids. My eyeshadow is still absolutely flawless and perfect. No creases! I have super hooded eye lids that are also oily and no primer I have tried works for more than a few hours on me. Even Urban Decay. I will see how things are going after ten hours. That's the real test. But I'm thinking if this stuff can get me past two hours that's saying something for me.

I'm giving a low rating on packaging because I thought mine was broken the first time I tried to use it. I twisted and twisted and twisted and nothing happened. No color appeared in the brush until I darn near twisted the tube 20 times. I was in the process of googling "How do you use Chanel's Professional Eyeshadow Base?" when the cream finally started coming out. So be careful when you do this. Don't end up twisting too much product out like I did and wasting it. After you get it going, it doesn't take more than one twist.

on 10/23/2012 2:01:00 PM

I have two of these, Rose and Lilac. They are pretty decent, though like a lot of Chanel products, it's hard to justify the price.

They come in a long thin tube, with a brush applicator. You turn the bottom of the tube, and the product squeezes into the brush. It doesn't work very well, trying to get it on your lids evenly with the brush, so I just squeeze the stuff out of the brush and apply with my fingers. It can be worn alone, and stays on nicely all day, and I wear it this way when I don't feel like being bothered with shadow but still want a little color on my lids. It evens out the skin tone. Both the colors I have are almost matte - just a wee bit of shimmer. You can wear them heavy, or sheer - but either way, a little goes a long way, so these should last me a while.

Mostly I use it as a base, and I think it works well as one - but it dries fast, so you have to put it on and then put your shadow on right away, while it is still a little tacky. Otherwise, it creates too dry of a surface for my liking as a primer.

Not a bad product, but as I said above, it's not really worth the price - there are many comparable shadows and bases out there for much less.

on 9/21/2012 10:06:00 AM

I have gone through 2 bottles of this. I love out it can be a base or a shadow when used alone.

It goes on very smooth. It doesn't crease through out the day even when I have semi oily skin.

However, it runs out fast~

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This is a nice sheer wash over the lids, but nothing special. I have this in 90 which is a beige-gold. You have to shake it up before you brush it on. It did not cause any creasing, but it did not make shadow hold longer. I do not have very oily lids.

on 4/2/2011 10:41:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

I had never tried this before but I went to the Chanel counter and they used it on me for a mini-makeover. This stuff is amazing! I accidentally fell asleep with my make-up on (long night) and when I got up, though my eyeliner and my mascara wasn't in optimum condition, my shadows still looked great! No creasing after 10+ hours. It's too expensive for me, but otherwise it's great :)

on 2/16/2011 2:01:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

This is a (new, I think) pen/brush eyeshadow base from Chanel. A tiny dab, patted and blended on the lid, really works to hold shadow on all day (and well into the night). It is easy to use and goes on very smoothly. It makes all my shadows go on more evenly and stay on without caking or flaking. I got this in BRIGHT which is quite illuminating. It also comes in other colors, including at least one matte shade.

UPDATE: After using this for a few months, the brush began deteriorating and the formula became dryed out and started caking; very disappointing after how well it worked at first. I just switched to Nars new Pro-Prime Smudgeproof Eyeshadow base (which I also reviewed) which works much better for me. So, I downgraded my lippies to 4. Chanel's is still a good product, just too expensive not to last longer and I think better for oily lids as a couple of prior reviewers mentioned.