Essie Marshmallow

Essie Marshmallow
image 1image 2image 3

3.9

Hair: Red, Curly, Medium

I usually love Essie polishes. I own a fair number of them in a variety of finishes (sheer, opaque, etc.) and I’ve always been happy with the application, colour and lack of chipping. This, however, is awful. After one coat, a lot of polishes are a bit streaky; that's fine. After two coats of this stuff, I started to worry. I very carefully applied three coats of Marshmallow and it still looked streaky and awful. This was over the Essie ridge-filling base coat, which I really like and has always played well with other polishes. I used my usual Sally Hansen Insta-Dry top coat over it.

I’m giving it two lippies instead of one because after five days (I haven’t had the chance to remove it so I’ve been stuck with this awful manicure fail over the long weekend) it still hasn’t chipped, not even along the tips of my nails. So it’s ugly, but at least it’s not getting any uglier.

on 3/10/2016 6:02:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Marshmallow is not a true opaque, neither is it a true sheer.
It's smack in the middle between Essie Blanc and Essie Waltz.

It is difficult to apply due to its thick, jelly formula, but the end result is lovely and doesn't make your nails look like they were painted on with white out. I've tried opaque whites such as OPI Alpine Snow and OPI Angel With A Leadfoot, but I realized true opaques were too harsh against my fair skin.

Marshmallow provides me with obvious white nails but without that harshness. Either wear it a little sheer with one coat or go for soft, jelly white nails with two or more coats.

To Read all 118 Reviews, Login or Join

on 2/24/2016 10:31:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

I've purchased more than several bottles, this is my go-to white. Jellie-like translucent takes 3 thin coats to be opaque, but I can do a thin first layer and a thick second layer for equal result (no base coat) 2 coats dries fast with Seche Vitae topcoat. Love this so much, and have been wearing for years.

I almost didn't buy this color because of all the negative reviews, but I'm glad I decided to try it out for myself. This color builds up nicely, which is good because I found it necessary to apply 3 coats to eliminate streakiness. Because it's such a pale polish, it's really streaky at first, but after 3 coats it looks beautiful. I found that the formula dried just as quickly as my other Essie polishes, so I didn't have to wait forever for it to dry like some other reviewers on here. I've been wearing it for about 4 days (with the Essie gel topcoat), and I haven't experienced any chipping so far. That's a miracle because usually polishes chip within 1-2 days on me.

EDIT: After wearing this color more, I've decided I don't really like it and would not repurchase. The past few times I wore it, it chipped within about 2 days (even with the Essie gel topcoat) and started developing little cracks all over. I find that it also tends to become discolored the longer I wear it, so by the time I go to take it off it's more of a dingy white than when I first put it on.

on 4/7/2015 3:27:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

Before purchasing this polish, please note that the formula is supposed to be sheer AND yes it is streaky - because it's a jelly finish! I normally avoid jellies because of how time consuming they are to apply, but when I saw someone swatch Marshmallow on Pinterest - I had to go out and buy it. It's a beautiful white polish, which I don't think it designed to be built up to give you a block white colour. After two coats (or very three thin coats), you will end up with a gorgeous, clean 'marshmallowy' type of translucent white which looks clean and neutral. If you are after a stark, opaque white - this isn't your polish. If you do build it up for an opaque - you might find it to look a little chunky on the nail. I would recommend Alpine Snow from OPI if that is the look you're after. I really like Marshmallow because it isn't a show stopping polish, great for work and really lovely if you like white polish without the 'white out' type of look. Will definitely buy a back up :)

Application:
1 x OPI Base Coat
2 x coats of Marshmallow
1 x Out the Door Top Coat

on 3/13/2015 11:03:00 PM

This is a beautiful gel-y, translucent white. If you're looking for a stark white, you're better off with Essie Blanc. This nail polish requires two things of the wearer: patience and ridge-free nails. I (for some reason) have deep ridges in my nails and this nail polish highlights that fact due to its streakiness. Also, it takes a super long time to dry. If you have the patience to sit around and wait and wait for it to dry, then go for it. However, I could only get the first coat right. After that, my successive coats kept smudging. Regardless, the few nails that are ridge-free and ended up drying properly (i.e. my ring finger and pinky finger...lol) look amazing!

I was really disappointed in this colour, seeing as though I have brought many other colours from this brand and they have been amazing. However, this one comes out super blotchy and thick, and when applied really cautiously it leaves it streaky. I ended up putting another coat over it 2 days later to try and fix it and it was fine after that, but overall I was really disappointed with the consistency of it.

Hands on THE worst formula I have ever tried, and I own over four hundred bottles of nail polish. The formula was so watery and streaky. It was just simply awful. The color will build up to look very much like a typical white polish, like Essie Blanc and OPI Alpine Snow. You would be so much better off just use a regular white polish. Even if the color was gorgeous, there is no way I would repurchase because the awful formula can't be compensated even with the best color in the world.

on 9/2/2014 1:16:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Horrible formula. Super blotchy and streaky. Not up to Essie's standards. Ugh so mad because I love Essie, but so far their basic colors like this one and ballet slippers have disappointed me. Horrible blotchy mess and dries so slow. Not cool essie.

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

This is one of my HG polish colors. The Essie formula is always perfection but the best thing about this one is the color. It's a milky "jelly" white creme, no shimmer in this one, and only 99% opaque with several coats. 2 coats of this is classic and modern posh at the same time. I always get compliments on my nails when I wear this, even from the manicurists. Last time I was at the nail salon the man doing my nails called a couple girls over to show them how pretty this color was. It's really perfect at this time of year (nearing the end of the Summer) when I have a bit of a tan. It's a great, unexpected color that will stand-out without looking unprofessional, if you need to worry about nail color at your job.

Popular Polishes