Essie Ballet Slippers

Essie Ballet Slippers

3.3

on 10/11/2017 1:04:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

This may be the worst nail polish I have ever used ever. It goes on patchy and dries astonishingly slowly. I tried wearing it 3 different times and each time I had to take it off in disgust. With the basic full manicure I found that it took forever to dry. I actually waited hours between coats and still had trouble. Once I wore it out of the house, dirt stuck to it and it started to acquire a grey tinge. The second time I thought I could do a one coat french tip with a fast dry topcoat. Woke up the next morning to find that the polish had wrinkled under the topcoat and formed a disgusting texture. Third time I thought maybe this is just an absurd dry time and I tried painting my toes, because I can wait longer between coats .An hour after painting my toes the polish felt dry. I put on some shoes and socks to run an errand, when I got back I had to peel my socks off my toes because it was stuck on.

Maybe my bottle was a dud. Maybe some people get bottles that work. Maybe I could get a replacement bottle but honestly the color wasn't good on me either. On my pale skin this looked like baby girl princess pink and was not at all subtle or natural looking. For people who suffer the formula because they like the color. Essie has a pile of similar colors that are easier to work with.

on 5/24/2017 8:46:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

This polish is finicky, but looks really nice when applied using the 4 stroke method in thinner/avg coats.

HOWEVER: only good for cool toned people! If you're warm it stands out a lot- get mademoiselle instead (which also has a better formula).

on 11/12/2016 5:39:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm

I've only come back to applying polish on my fingernails very recently. I bought this shade after some research on pale/nude polishes which are all I'm comfortable with at the moment on my hands.
I'm quite dark so on my nails this is more white than pink. I had trouble applying this at first which I thought was because of lack of practice, but then discovered that two coats of base coat (Essie's Grow Stronger in my case) is the key to even, streak-free application. One coat with a top coat is enough for a pretty, natural, groomed look. The colour is described as sheer, but two or more coats are almost opaque.

on 4/23/2017 9:58:00 PM

5 stars for the color, maybe a 1 or 2 for the formula. This to me is the perfect pale nude color. It looks like such a feminine and delicate baby pinkish white color against my medium olive skin. Unfortunately, the formula is way too fussy to work with. I'm most likely throwing mine out, which sucks since the color is so beautiful. It was very difficult for me to get this on neatly, it looked like a 4 year old did my nails (I am no nail tech but usually don't have so much trouble applying polish). It didn't wear well for me either. I expect to at absolute minimum get a week out of a pedicure - more like 2-3 weeks. This required touch ups by the next day. The color is so perfect and beautiful, but this is way too much of a high maintenance item for me.

on 5/23/2017 7:58:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Ballet Slippers is the reason I did not use nude polishes for years! Streaky, not self leveling, ridiculously hard to work with.
Recently I've wanted to try sheer nudes again. I've worn every pigmented color I can think of, but wanted to get back to basics.
I re-bought Ballet Slippers. What a mistake!!! It's still thin, streaky, doesn't self level. I couldn't go through the hassle of trying to make it look good. I took it off, put on 2 coats of Mademoiselle plus top coat of Seche Vite and it looked perfect! I also like Essie's Allure for a nude look.
I'm throwing Ballet Slippers out. Lesson learned!

on 7/18/2016 6:59:00 AM

The iconic nude shade, even worn by Her Majesty the Queen. The shade itself is not pink, more of a pinkish white with a very shiny gel like formula. When applying you will need to use very thin coats and it will need two, maybe three. Longevity is not great for the price - I have Barry M polishes that are more chip proof, so use the Essie topcoat. Overall a lovely light, natural nail. One lippie off as it takes ages to dry and without a topcoat, chips easily.

on 4/9/2016 7:32:00 PM

This and Mademoiselle were the first Essie polishes I ever purchased and was I was super disappointed with the color as well as the application. It was very streaky and I had to apply 3 coats for it to cover evenly. Same with Mademoiselle, although I liked that color slightly more. It took me years to try Essie polishes again. So glad I did though bc I love Essie (just not the sheer, streaky colors).

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

I really don't understand the cult following this polish has. I find the colour far too sweet for my tastes, but what really does it in for me is the formula.

One coat is a really sheer, pretty colour, but sooooo streaky! No matter what I do, it looks terrible.

Two coats is better,but still streaky and sheer in some spots. However. Where it's not sheer, I like the colour.

Three coats gets rid of the sheer spots (almost) but then I find the colour looks flat.

I will go back to my trusty Essie Mademoiselle for a nice, natural pink.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

Lovely, lovely color. This color is subtle and pretty. At first it looked streaky but after two coats you can see a few sheer patches and after three coats it looks divine. . I bought it to do my french tips and it is perfect. It is a color that you can combine with many looks. Your nails look classy and beautiful. This has always been my kind of color and finally I found one that perfect matches my style.

on 4/14/2016 7:59:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Ballet Slippers is Essie's most popular and beloved shade which I find to be complimentary to all skin tones which probably explains its popularity.

Color is a very pale white pink with a jelly formula that is meant to be SHEER; this is NOT the polish to use if you want opaque nails. If you want opaque, go for Essie's Romper Room! Shade is nearly identical to Ballet Slippers, but it is an opaque creme polish.

Ballet Slippers end result is lovely; soft and so delicate. However, the process getting there seems to be difficult for many, because Ballet Slippers has such a gloopy consistency. I almost gave up on this polish when I first got it, but I realized I just needed to be a little more careful.

First, make sure your nails are clean and dry, no oils nor moisturizers. Apply your base coat and wait a few minutes before you apply your first coat. For the first coat, use a thin layer with three/four strokes maximum. Wait a significant amount of time, then apply your second coat with a slightly thicker layer than the first with as few strokes as possible. The most important thing is to go at your nails with a VERY light hand; if you apply too much pressure with the brush, you'll definitely get streaks and polish dragging. Think of it as a delicate polish that needs to be guided, not forced!

Popular Polishes