Essie Ballet Slippers

Essie Ballet Slippers

3.3

on 7/18/2016 6:59:00 AM

The iconic nude shade, even worn by Her Majesty the Queen. The shade itself is not pink, more of a pinkish white with a very shiny gel like formula. When applying you will need to use very thin coats and it will need two, maybe three. Longevity is not great for the price - I have Barry M polishes that are more chip proof, so use the Essie topcoat. Overall a lovely light, natural nail. One lippie off as it takes ages to dry and without a topcoat, chips easily.

on 4/14/2016 7:59:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Ballet Slippers is Essie's most popular and beloved shade which I find to be complimentary to all skin tones which probably explains its popularity.

Color is a very pale white pink with a jelly formula that is meant to be SHEER; this is NOT the polish to use if you want opaque nails. If you want opaque, go for Essie's Romper Room! Shade is nearly identical to Ballet Slippers, but it is an opaque creme polish.

Ballet Slippers end result is lovely; soft and so delicate. However, the process getting there seems to be difficult for many, because Ballet Slippers has such a gloopy consistency. I almost gave up on this polish when I first got it, but I realized I just needed to be a little more careful.

First, make sure your nails are clean and dry, no oils nor moisturizers. Apply your base coat and wait a few minutes before you apply your first coat. For the first coat, use a thin layer with three/four strokes maximum. Wait a significant amount of time, then apply your second coat with a slightly thicker layer than the first with as few strokes as possible. The most important thing is to go at your nails with a VERY light hand; if you apply too much pressure with the brush, you'll definitely get streaks and polish dragging. Think of it as a delicate polish that needs to be guided, not forced!

To Read all 356 Reviews, Login or Join

on 4/9/2016 7:32:00 PM

This and Mademoiselle were the first Essie polishes I ever purchased and was I was super disappointed with the color as well as the application. It was very streaky and I had to apply 3 coats for it to cover evenly. Same with Mademoiselle, although I liked that color slightly more. It took me years to try Essie polishes again. So glad I did though bc I love Essie (just not the sheer, streaky colors).

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

Lovely, lovely color. This color is subtle and pretty. At first it looked streaky but after two coats you can see a few sheer patches and after three coats it looks divine. . I bought it to do my french tips and it is perfect. It is a color that you can combine with many looks. Your nails look classy and beautiful. This has always been my kind of color and finally I found one that perfect matches my style.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

I really don't understand the cult following this polish has. I find the colour far too sweet for my tastes, but what really does it in for me is the formula.

One coat is a really sheer, pretty colour, but sooooo streaky! No matter what I do, it looks terrible.

Two coats is better,but still streaky and sheer in some spots. However. Where it's not sheer, I like the colour.

Three coats gets rid of the sheer spots (almost) but then I find the colour looks flat.

I will go back to my trusty Essie Mademoiselle for a nice, natural pink.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Pretty colour, but so transparent! Not very expensive per bottle but you have to use double the amount of coats than usual if you want it to be opaque. Good if you want a sheer, summery, natural-looking polish.

It's a nice not-so-white-but-not-so-pink-either colout but the formula is a disaster. It's thin so I have to apply at least three coats to get a full coverage, otherwise I can see my normal nail colour through the polish. It doesn't fully cover my uneven nail surface, either, so I definitely won't repurchase this one.

on 9/29/2015 9:43:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

I wore this on my wedding day. It looks fab on the close-up photos. I'm NC20 and it's perfect for my colouring. It's a bugger to apply though. If you're in the UK l recommend getting the high street version with the pro-wide brush (Boots or Superdrug). I also have the pro/American version with the skinny brush and while it's shinier, l couldn't get it to work. 2 thin coats for perfection. Don't use Stickey bc underneath as that discolours it.

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

I love the color of this, but not the formula. Sheer polishes can be really pretty, but this one is streaky & patchy. I was hoping this would be similar to Zoya Dot, but it's not as pigmented, so two coats were still too streaky to be pretty (and I don't like using more than two coats because they are more likely to peel). I got this in a set with the Gel Setter top coat, and paired with that it lasted about 4 days before serious chipping happened.

Ballet Slippers is a cult colour from Essie, one that can be found mentioned in a lot of beauty blogs. I was in need of a natural-looking pink colour so bought Ballet Slippers due to being curious about the praise it receives. It is a lovely colour, a sheer milky pink which can be built up. I usually wear it with 3 thin coats which looks opaque from a distance, but the nail line can be seen up close. This doesn't bother me, but if this is a pet peeve for you, you may wish to avoid this polish. The colour is beautiful however. It is a pale, milky pink, very pastel and white based. It leaves the nails looking very polished and chic. I like to wear it on days where I want to look classy and pretty, but not put in too much effort. It has great longevity and dries quickly. This polish is a life-saver and a game-changer, well worth the hype it receives.

Popular Polishes