Essie Nail Polish - Ballet Slippers

Essie Nail Polish - Ballet Slippers

3.2

on 11/29/2018 12:12:00 AM

This is hands down the worst nails polish I have ever purchased.. I returned it to the store the very next day.!! It cost $20NZD and was a complete waste of time , the lady at the counter said she had a lot of the Essie polishes come back and she was disappointed since Essie has such a solid reputation and is very pricey! I brought four wet n wild polishes to replace this crap one and will never touch the brand again .. streaky and does not have any coverage I did 5 layers on one finger and still streaked ! Shocking for the price

on 11/28/2018 12:21:00 PM

Looks a little light but once one it's a lovely pink. Problem is the formula. It's awfully streaky and takes about five coats before it's a solid color. Takes forever to dry because of this, though I notice it's a bit slow even if you use a single layer. Wanted to make this one work because it's so popular but could not... if it's just the color you're looking for, look elsewhere.

on 9/22/2018 10:05:00 AM

I bought some of this because I had heard a lot about it and didn't have any similar in my nail polish collection.

It went on OK but I wasnt struck on the colour so I doctored it a bit. I added a few drops of dark red and a few drops of grey until I got a sort of "ashes of roses" colour. I must have got it right judging by the number of compliments I've had

on 7/2/2018 5:05:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

I have tried several times to get this to work, as the color draws me in with how pretty and soft of a pink this is. However the application is awful. Tried it with base coat and without. Even one sheer coat leaves streaks and is patchy. So I add another coat thinking it will even out the streaks, but nope, it just adds another streaky layer and takes forever to dry. I've never worked with a more difficult formula, had to get rid of it.

Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool

Hair: Black, Other, Medium

Ballet Slippers makes me so frustrated. It is the perfect shade of barely there, your nails but better sheer nude pink colour. There are no slight yellow undertones you see in some pinkish nude polishes. It lets just enough of the white of your nail show. I consider myself a nail polish veteran, but no matter how carefully I apply it, it always ends up streaky. Out of stubbornness and my love for this colour, I whip it out maybe once a month thinking this will be the time I win, but n-o-p-e. I have heard of using a ridge filler base coat before applying sheer nail polish to help prep your nails for sheers, so I might give that a try. Really hope Essie would reformulate this shade.

on 5/3/2018 7:37:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

UGH. I'm so mad. I love this color in the bottle. I love the history of it. I am a sucker for the hype and the marketing. And I cannot. For the LIFE of me. Apply this without lumps and streaks. It's a choice between two lumpy and hideous coats or five opaque glops that never, EVER dry.

on 4/5/2018 12:49:00 AM

I too bought a bottle of ballet slippers and I must say I just love it! I don't understand why everybody has such a hard time applying it. The texture is indeed a bit thick, but I was expecting that and I find it necessary in order to give that milky finish. I don't like intense colors on my nails and searched forever for that perfect nude, having tried out a loooooot of nude shades. This color is just perfect for me and I would totally buy it again. I applied only one coat with no base coat and after that I applied what I thought would be a top coat, but it turned out to be essie's grow stronger base coat haha. The result was lovely and lasted long enough. I'll stick with my ballet slippers ;)

I'm no newbie to home manicures, but I just threw my bottle away last night after trying it out one last time and getting fed up. I kept thinking I could figure out how to get it to be non-streaky with practice; maybe painting really fast so it had no time to set using just three quick strokes, thick coats vs. thin coats, etc. Nope, this stuff just sucks. Every time I use it it's a streaky mess. I can get it somewhat decent-looking with three thicker coats, but then it never dries, and I end up with dents and nicks. Any nail polish that requires me to use three coats in order to look remotely decent is just too high-maintanence for me. I like using a base coat and a top coat, and 5 coats is just too many in my book. I'm officially convinced the only reason Ballet Slippers is so highly recommended by royalty and celebs is because they aren't the ones doing their manicures ;) Maybe professionals have the skills needed to make it look even, but apparently I do not. That said, I LOVE both Essie Mademoiselle and Vanity Fairest, and highly recommend those instead.

on 3/25/2018 7:31:00 PM

Beautiful color! Very pale pinkish/nude. Ballet slippers is the perfect name for the shade. Dries very smooth and glossy. Opaque in 2 coats.

on 1/28/2018 12:21:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

This isn't as bad on application as Essie Marshmallow, but isn't exactly easy. It is is patchy and streaky in 2-3 coats, 1 really thin one for a natural look carefully applied isn't too bad. The color is lovely in the bottle. I think someone who is VERY good with tricky polishes might be able to make it work. I just don't want to have to fight it.

1 coat isn't bad upon initial application, but as it dries, it starts to show streaks. Even as difficult as this is to work with, I'd like it if it looked good on 1 coat semi-sheer.

Save yourself time, effort and money and go with a non-streaky, easy to work with polish that isn't streaky or patchy, my HG polish of this type...Wet N Wild 2% Milk, cheap, beautiful, and goes on well (color isn't a dupe for this, it's less pink but in this same color family). (See my review of it for a few tips.)

I know this has cult status (I've read Queen Elizabeth wears it), and if someone can get it to work, it is lovely. But it's really hard to work with and I think there are better options.

Popular Polishes