Essie Ballet Slippers

Essie Ballet Slippers

3.2

on 7/2/2018 5:05:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

I have tried several times to get this to work, as the color draws me in with how pretty and soft of a pink this is. However the application is awful. Tried it with base coat and without. Even one sheer coat leaves streaks and is patchy. So I add another coat thinking it will even out the streaks, but nope, it just adds another streaky layer and takes forever to dry. I've never worked with a more difficult formula, had to get rid of it.

Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool

Hair: Black, Other, Medium

Ballet Slippers makes me so frustrated. It is the perfect shade of barely there, your nails but better sheer nude pink colour. There are no slight yellow undertones you see in some pinkish nude polishes. It lets just enough of the white of your nail show. I consider myself a nail polish veteran, but no matter how carefully I apply it, it always ends up streaky. Out of stubbornness and my love for this colour, I whip it out maybe once a month thinking this will be the time I win, but n-o-p-e. I have heard of using a ridge filler base coat before applying sheer nail polish to help prep your nails for sheers, so I might give that a try. Really hope Essie would reformulate this shade.

on 5/3/2018 7:37:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

UGH. I'm so mad. I love this color in the bottle. I love the history of it. I am a sucker for the hype and the marketing. And I cannot. For the LIFE of me. Apply this without lumps and streaks. It's a choice between two lumpy and hideous coats or five opaque glops that never, EVER dry.

on 4/5/2018 12:49:00 AM

I too bought a bottle of ballet slippers and I must say I just love it! I don't understand why everybody has such a hard time applying it. The texture is indeed a bit thick, but I was expecting that and I find it necessary in order to give that milky finish. I don't like intense colors on my nails and searched forever for that perfect nude, having tried out a loooooot of nude shades. This color is just perfect for me and I would totally buy it again. I applied only one coat with no base coat and after that I applied what I thought would be a top coat, but it turned out to be essie's grow stronger base coat haha. The result was lovely and lasted long enough. I'll stick with my ballet slippers ;)

I'm no newbie to home manicures, but I just threw my bottle away last night after trying it out one last time and getting fed up. I kept thinking I could figure out how to get it to be non-streaky with practice; maybe painting really fast so it had no time to set using just three quick strokes, thick coats vs. thin coats, etc. Nope, this stuff just sucks. Every time I use it it's a streaky mess. I can get it somewhat decent-looking with three thicker coats, but then it never dries, and I end up with dents and nicks. Any nail polish that requires me to use three coats in order to look remotely decent is just too high-maintanence for me. I like using a base coat and a top coat, and 5 coats is just too many in my book. I'm officially convinced the only reason Ballet Slippers is so highly recommended by royalty and celebs is because they aren't the ones doing their manicures ;) Maybe professionals have the skills needed to make it look even, but apparently I do not. That said, I LOVE both Essie Mademoiselle and Vanity Fairest, and highly recommend those instead.

on 3/25/2018 7:31:00 PM

Beautiful color! Very pale pinkish/nude. Ballet slippers is the perfect name for the shade. Dries very smooth and glossy. Opaque in 2 coats.

on 1/28/2018 12:21:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

This isn't as bad on application as Essie Marshmallow, but isn't exactly easy. It is is patchy and streaky in 2-3 coats, 1 really thin one for a natural look carefully applied isn't too bad. The color is lovely in the bottle. I think someone who is VERY good with tricky polishes might be able to make it work. I just don't want to have to fight it.

1 coat isn't bad upon initial application, but as it dries, it starts to show streaks. Even as difficult as this is to work with, I'd like it if it looked good on 1 coat semi-sheer.

Save yourself time, effort and money and go with a non-streaky, easy to work with polish that isn't streaky or patchy, my HG polish of this type...Wet N Wild 2% Milk, cheap, beautiful, and goes on well (color isn't a dupe for this, it's less pink but in this same color family). (See my review of it for a few tips.)

I know this has cult status (I've read Queen Elizabeth wears it), and if someone can get it to work, it is lovely. But it's really hard to work with and I think there are better options.

on 10/11/2017 1:04:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

This may be the worst nail polish I have ever used ever. It goes on patchy and dries astonishingly slowly. I tried wearing it 3 different times and each time I had to take it off in disgust. With the basic full manicure I found that it took forever to dry. I actually waited hours between coats and still had trouble. Once I wore it out of the house, dirt stuck to it and it started to acquire a grey tinge. The second time I thought I could do a one coat french tip with a fast dry topcoat. Woke up the next morning to find that the polish had wrinkled under the topcoat and formed a disgusting texture. Third time I thought maybe this is just an absurd dry time and I tried painting my toes, because I can wait longer between coats .An hour after painting my toes the polish felt dry. I put on some shoes and socks to run an errand, when I got back I had to peel my socks off my toes because it was stuck on.

Maybe my bottle was a dud. Maybe some people get bottles that work. Maybe I could get a replacement bottle but honestly the color wasn't good on me either. On my pale skin this looked like baby girl princess pink and was not at all subtle or natural looking. For people who suffer the formula because they like the color. Essie has a pile of similar colors that are easier to work with.

on 5/24/2017 8:46:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

This polish is finicky, but looks really nice when applied using the 4 stroke method in thinner/avg coats.

HOWEVER: only good for cool toned people! If you're warm it stands out a lot- get mademoiselle instead (which also has a better formula).

on 5/23/2017 7:58:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Ballet Slippers is the reason I did not use nude polishes for years! Streaky, not self leveling, ridiculously hard to work with.
Recently I've wanted to try sheer nudes again. I've worn every pigmented color I can think of, but wanted to get back to basics.
I re-bought Ballet Slippers. What a mistake!!! It's still thin, streaky, doesn't self level. I couldn't go through the hassle of trying to make it look good. I took it off, put on 2 coats of Essie's Mademoiselle (fabulous!!!) plus a top coat of Seche Vite and it looked perfect! I also like Essie's Allure for a nude look.
I'm throwing Ballet Slippers out. Lesson learned!

Popular Polishes