Evyan White Shoulders

Evyan White Shoulders

3.7

on 2/23/2018 1:10:00 PM

I have used white shoulders for over 30 years. The last 2 bottles that I have bought do not have the flowery smell that I have always
enjoyed. Did you change the formulation? If so what is compable. r

on 12/16/2017 2:47:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

Love this scent so much that I dreamt the other night that I was writing a review about it ,so here I am. This is all about the HONEYSUCKLE. Oh wow, so dreamy and femme. It lasts all day. I have the vintage Evyan version both in cologne and perfume strength and both last all day. I dab some on myself and rub some on a cotton ball and tuck it into my bra and I'm good to go. Your body heat just warms up the scent, sending pleasant wafts as you move. In one day I received 2 compliments on it. I was craving it so much the other day that I wore it again and received another compliment. I don't go fishing for compliments, I just wear what I like; but it's always nice to get positive feedback! I have my eye on the dusting powder on ebay- just have to wait until payday. If I can find the dusting powder on any of my scents, I'm all over it. Nice to put on after a bath and slipping into your most comfy pj's. In the "The Guide", Tania Sanchez called this "mumsy". Pfft! It's for anyone who enjoys and appreciates classic, ladylike florals.

P.S. I found "The Guide" offensive on so many of its reviews, I actually gave it away. It's a free country and all, but I have no desire to read such utterly snobbish garbage again.

What strikes me most about White Shoulders is that it is the perfect representation of a little girl’s idea of “perfume”: sweetly, almost impossibly floral. Positively ebullient with innocence. This is how Snow White smells as she skips through the meadow, surrounded by songbirds.

But that’s not an insult, in my book. I love many genres of perfume for many different reasons, and I always have respect for true classics like White Shoulders. I may not wear it daily, but I do wear it when I’m in a romantic, girly mood. It was created at a time when perfume houses spent months perfecting each formula, and when most women only owned 1 or 2 treasured fragrances. Everything about White Shoulders is exquisitely female, from the lavish pink presentation box to the juice itself: an onslaught of impossibly pretty white flowers of the highest quality, that lasts for hours.

If you can get past the racist name that was a product of its time, and the foofy pink packaging, this is an absolutely beautiful fragrance and anyone with any color of shoulders would smell gorgeous wearing it. It can broadcast as either innocent or very sexy (what’s not sexy about fleshy tuberose and gardenia?), depending on your mood. I would especially love to smell this on a goth girl in black pleather, because the contrast would be devastating. Meow!

PS— Highly recommend original Evyan formulation (easy to spot, as the lady on the box has curlier hair & box/bottle says “E” or “Evyan”). This was such a quality fragrance that it’s held
up perfectly over the years. Second to that would be the Parfums International version sold through the ‘90s. Current EA Fragrances version is still pretty but smells much cheaper and harsher.

on 8/12/2017 7:11:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Other, Medium

I have the eau de parfum version from Elizabeth Arden. I found it on the internet. I've not tried the Evyan version. I also have some tiny bottles of the perfume, but I think the eau de parfum is better. This is one of my favorite fragrances. It's very feminine. I smell lilac and white flowers. The only con is I have to apply about 6 spritzes to get any sillage. However, it does last all day. The bottle is pretty, if a little cheap looking. White Shoulders is also very affordable. I definitely want to buy a backup bottle. If you like feminine, romantic fragrances, you will love this.

Skin: Other, Olive, Neutral

My grandmother use to wear this and I remembering it having a sweet scent like honeysuckle and lilac. When I was young it was one of the few designer fragrances that was classic. I don't prefer this for myself but it does bring me back to a memories of my mammaw.

I've been on a vintage fragrance kick for a few weeks now and White Shoulders was one of the perfumes I got. One by Evyan and one by Elizabeth Ardan. The Evyan version in Cologne is far more superior, this is a beautiful blossoming floral with a hint of black tea with a lovely musky floral drydown and noticable sillage. In the EA version in edt, I don't get the blossoming floral tea scent and hardly any sillage at all. It's basically a toned down floral with more soapy synthetic somewhat dryer sheet smell in the dry down. They do smell similar but I can definitely tell the difference. The EA version is sort of a travesty to this beautiful cologne imho. A shadow of its former self.

on 11/28/2015 2:52:00 AM

To me this fragrance is the epitome of the saying an iron fist in a velvet glove.

On the surface it's a hopelessly romantic white floral featuring orange blossom, lillies and jasmine, to be worn with soft summer dresses, pastel colours, and wide brimmed hats.

Underneath, though, is a powerhouse bomb that lasts all day and leaves a fragrant trail in its wake. Tenacious is an understatement. I have skin that can eat some perfumes, but one spray of this at 7am in the morning is enough to see me through till midnight. If it gets on your clothing it's there until you wash the garment. Although it's a very feminine white floral, the inclusion of some heavy hitting base notes, such as civet, oakmoss, sandalwood, musk and benzoin give it this incredible longevity.

Despite this, sillage is fairly moderate, which is a good thing. Lillies can be problematic in frgrances, giving many people headaches or making them feel ill. Given its longevity, one spray of this in your cleavage is really all you need. I'm reviewing a spray bottle marked Eau de Cologne, and it has more strength than most eau de parfums.

Now that I've waxed lyrical, I'll tell you what it actually smells like on me. There is very little development in the fragrance. It goes on harsh and within 10 minutes begins to soften to a soapy, waxy floral dominated by orange blossom, lillies and jasmine. Aldehydes give it the soapy drydown and lillies contribute to the waxiness. The basenotes mentioned above are blended together so that no one of them stands out, instead contributing to a subtle animalic aura and giving it the aforementioned tenacity.

This was a blind buy for me off Ebay. It's not at all right for me which is why I have not ticked that I would repurchase. This is a fragrance for eternal romantics who smell good in white florals, in particular lillies. If you smell good in Anais Anais, you will probably smell good in this. On Fragrantica many people are comparing it to either Anais Anais or J Lo Gow (which I personally have not smelt). I don't really think it smells much like Anais Anais except for the dominant note of lillies in both of them.

So, here I am with 113ml bottle of something that doesn't really work on me but that I don't want to part with. I'm using it up by putting one spray in my bath water every now and then. That one spray not only perfumes my body, but my whole house. Once a week it's a lovely way to go to sleep. Used this way, not only will the bottle last for years, it will probably last longer than me.

Edit: 13/12/15 - This is another perfume that works well layered. I've layered it with Jessica Simpson Fancy Nights. I love heavy orientals and really like Fancy Nights but have found it to be a very linear and simplistic fragrance. Prior to layering it, it was a fragrance that I tended to wear around the house in cold weather but not often wore when I went out.

Once I tried layering it with White Shoulders several things happened. Two fairly linear fragrances became one much more complex sex bomb with absolutely phenomenal longevity. The waxiness of the lillies in White Shoulders was turned into powder instead. The amber/slightly chocolate drydown of Fancy Nights was turned uber sexy by the civet in White Shoulders and the hopeless romantic has become a woman of the world.

I find that two parts Fancy Nights to one part White Shoulders works absolutely perfectly. Given how strong both of these fragrances are, there's no way of just layering them on the skin. Three sprays of would be overwhelming. Instead I mix them together in a small spray bottle and allow to age. That way, I have my favourite custom blend available whenever I want it.

on 12/13/2014 3:32:00 PM

Just a little trivia for the White Shoulders lovers on this site... My dad was the perfume chemist who created this scent back in the 1940's. He was working on salary for DuPont, who sold the formula to Evyan, and was paid nothing for the creation of this extremely successful product but his weekly salary. He was also prohibited from disclosing her participation in the scent's creation by the company. He went on to open a long-time successful custom perfume shop that he ran until he passed away 11 years ago. White Shoulders smells different in it's present form, as the company who has rights to it seems to have changed the quality of ingredients. But it is still a sweet reminder of my dad for me.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I don't actually wear White Shoulders and never have. But when I was a kid (I'm in late Middle Age now) my mother, who was "just a mom" by day but transformed into this elegant creature by night (usually in hand beaded gowns of her own design and execution!). And White Shoulders was one of the fragrances she wore and there was always a bottle on her dressing table. She would come in to kiss me goodnight when she was ready to leave and had applied this perfume - such graceful glamour on all counts! In my little kid mind, I thought the woman on the front of the bottle was actually MY MOTHER. I don't know if White Shoulders is still being made or if it's sold in Canada and I have the feeling that even if it is, it's probably been reformulated and may not smell the same at all. But I am so tempted to buy a bottle, if I can find one, just for the memories and out of sentimentality (or "scent-imentality"?).

I haven't worn White Shoulders in years and didn't realize it had been reformulated. I got it the other day at Wal-Mart and though it may be slightly different from the past it still is a delightful scent. After spraying my old Evyan scent on one wrist and the new scent on the other there is a difference but they both are lovely perfumes.

Popular Fragrances