Pro Activ 3-Step System

Pro Activ 3-Step System

2.6

on 6/29/2016 6:00:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

Very mixed feelings about this stuff! After a month of using my acne was 95% gone- which of course was great! However, I found these products way too harsh for my skin. The chemicals in Proactiv are lethal. I also ended up with bleached towels... this is partly my own fault for not washing my hands properly, but if it bleaches towels imagine what it's doing to your skin! I stick to my Clearasil spot treatment now :)

on 6/17/2016 2:41:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

This just didn't work for me. It felt harsh and drying so my skin was irritated as well as broken out. Bleached my wash cloths and towels too because of the benzoyl peroxide I guess, although I've never had problems with other products containing that ingredient.

The only thing I liked in the entire Proactiv line was the sulfur mask - sulfur works well for me and their mask's consistency is light and almost whipped.

I had great success with Makeup Artist's Choice peels, and they are so much more affordable.

To Read all 3430 Reviews, Login or Join

Skin: Other, Medium, Not Sure

Very disappointed in this product. It dried my skin out and bleached my towels and sheets within a few days! I honestly can't believe this brand is so well known and endorsed by celebrities when it can do this to your skin. The only plus was the money back guarantee, which I took full advantage of and returned my products. To anyone thinking of trying proactive-don't waste your time or money.

I have to stick up for Proactiv because it's literally the only system that's ever worked for me. I have acne prone, sensitive, easily clog prone, oily t zone but very dry cheeks type of skin.

I started using Proactiv when I was 16, my skin became clear and nice and every time I've tried something else, from drugstore, health food store, department store to dermatologist prescribed, has not worked as well as this had.

In the winter I get very dry all over so I just stick to Step 1 and 2 and reserve 3 for once a week or so and during summer Step 3 only at night. Also, sunscreen is important when using this.

Tip: the Walgreens knock off is $12 and works just as well, the cleanser is more like the original too.

I highly recommend this for people with skin issues like mine.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

The worst!!! Made my skin so irritated, red and flaky. I feel like I got conned at the mall when the lady promised me it would help my skin. My skin looked like I was permanently sunburned. It didn't feel good on my face either and I paid upwards of 60 bucks!!!

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Not Sure

Absolute garbage. Irritated the hell out of my face. My face felt like it was burning, was red, itchy. I HATED proactiv. Jessica Simpson, you owe me 40 dollars for promoting such a junk product to me.

Skin: Normal, Dark, Not Sure

This used to be a stable then I found much better. I prefer peter thomas roth way way more than proactive. The 3 steps can be very irritating on the face and can really dry out my skin.

This did nothing for my skin but what concerned my more was it bleached my towels and wash clothes. I would not reccommend this product.

on 4/14/2016 11:29:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Worst thing I have ever used on my skin, I used it for 8 months and it did nothing for acne except make it stand out more as it had a bleaching effect in my face.. I got asked by people everyday if I was sick as it made my skin so pale. It also drys out your skin so much I naturally have fairly dry skin but my skin was just overly dry yet it made my skin oily and shiny at the same time which was weird cause I've never had a problem with oily skin. My acne on my face didn't clear at all just became more visible and my scars got worse.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

I used this back in the early 2000s. Pro Activ was a big deal back then. It has a cult following thanks to over hyped marketing behind it. I used it for years...and I had acne for years. All in all this actually did more harm than good (much like most of my salicylic acid or benzoyl peroxide experiments). But I was a teen - I didn't know any better. Those were the main options on the market for acne.

IF YOU ARE GOING TO USE THIS - please for the love of god wear sunscreen. I'm pissed nobody watched out for me and let me know to do so. Benzoyl peroxide is a phototoxic ingredient. Meaning it will up your skin's photosensitivity, which leaves you more susceptible to sun damage from UVA rays. Sun damage can consist of: premature aging, sunspots/freckles, broken capillaries, skin cancer... It is ugly and hard to reverse so do yourself a favor by preventing the damage.

Now as for the products themselves...the ingredient lists suck. I don't even know where to start with this mess. Benzoyl Peroxide is quite harsh on acne-prone skin, expect your skin to become quite irritated for a while. It caused peeling and severe redness for me. Salicylic acid, found in the "hydrator" really never did anything for me as it is a beta hydroxy acid. There are a ton of cheap oils and extracts that I know without a doubt break me out worse. And if that's not bad enough...these are loaded with fragrance and alcohol. Both are a giant NO for my skin type.

I finally figured out how to take care of my skin years later and am quite happy with it now. 0 thanks to proactiv.

HERE are the ingredient lists for Proactiv 3 Step System:
Step One: Skin Smoothing Exfoliator
Active Ingredient(s): benzoyl peroxide 2.5%
Inactive Ingredients: water, sodium cocoyl isethionate, glycerin, polyethylene, lauryl/myristyl benzoate, linoleic acid, linolenic acid, butylene glycol, dimethicone, ethylhexylglycerin, acrylates/C10-30 alkyl acrylate crosspolymer, glycolic acid, sodium hydroxide, phenoxyethanol, fragrance.

Step Two: Pore Targeting Treatment
Active Ingredient(s): benzoyl peroxide 2.5%
Inactive Ingredients: water, ethoxydiglycol, glycerin, prunus amygdalus dulcis (sweet almond) oil, polysorbate 80, polysorbate 60, sorbitan stearate, carbomer, potassium hydroxide, disodium EDTA, fragrance.

Step Three: Complexion Perfecting Hydrator
Active Ingredient(s): salicylic acid 0.5%
Inactive Ingredients: water, butylene glycol, cetearyl alcohol, dimethicone, sodium polyacrylate, scutellaria baicalensis root extract, sophora angustifolia root extract, morus alba root extract, glycyrrhiza glabra (licorice) root extract, arctostaphylos uva ursi leaf extract, kojic acid, zinc gluconate, alpha-glucan oligosaccharide, sodium hyaluronate, bisabolol, allantoin, squalane, safflower oil/palm oil aminopropanediol esters, C12-15 alkyl lactate, caprylic/capric triglyceride, caprylyl glycol, ethylhexylglycerin, glycerin, ethylhexyl palmitate, hydrogenated polydecene, hydroxypropyl cyclodextrin, PPG-5-laureth-5, polyquaternium-11, ceteareth-20, aluminum starch octenylsuccinate, polysorbate 60, hexylene glycol, PPG-2 myristyl ether propionate, sodium hydroxide, disodium EDTA, phenoxyethanol, fragrance.

Popular Face Skincare Products