Murad Clarifying Cleanser

Murad Clarifying Cleanser

3.5

Water, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Sodium C14-16 Olefin Sulfonate, Methyl Gluceth-20, PPG-26-Buteth-26, PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Butylene Glycol, Cimicifuga Racemosa Root Extract, Camellia Oleifera Leaf Extract, Silver Citrate, Menthol, PEG-150 Distearate, Corn Starch, Hydrolyzed Corn Starch, Hydrolyzed Corn Starch Octenylsuccinate, Glyceryl Stearate, Cocamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Polysorbate 80, Citric Acid, Tetrasodium EDTA, Chlorphenesin, Methylisothiazolinone, Limonene, Tangerine Leaf Oil, Citronella Oil, Lemon Peel Oil, Lime Oil, Lavandula Hybrida Oil, Mandarin Orange Peel Oil, Apricot Kernel Oil, Fragrance.

on 2/7/2018 4:41:00 PM

I made an account just so I could talk major shite about this product. I cannot stress enough how bad this utter shite is for your skin, and please, if you take anything out of this review, just let it be to under no circumstance buy this product. So, basically, I have had bad skin for a really long time, same as most people who go to buy acne products. I was put on Epiduo and after a little while, it worked really well for me. My skin was pretty good for a long time, albeit still had some remaining acne scars. So, I wanted to find something new that seemed to work. Like everyone else, I looked at reviews on youtube. Particularly, GraveyardGirl's skincare routine. She seemed to have a similar skin type as me, so I thought, hey maybe I'll try this cleanser out. What's the worst that could happen? I buy the cleanser, it's expensive of course (especially compared to my usual Cetaphil, which is my go to choice), but I figure, hey it must be because it's a good product. Oh, how wrong I was. I was a freshman in college, so of course when I went back to school, I immediately started to use the new cleanser. At first, I really liked it. It was refreshing and seemed to be shrinking my bigger spots. So, I continued to use it for a 2 weeks. By week 3, my skin started to blow up. What looked like an army of tiny pustules broke out all over my cheeks and chin, even going down to my neck. There was not a spot on my face below the eyebrows that wasn't covered with them. It was absolutely heartbreaking, especially after having decent skin for the first time in a very long time before I started using the product. I tried everything to clear up my skin, but nothing, and I mean nothing, worked. My face was so red and irritated, that I had to slather Aquaphor on it just to have some kind of relief (at that point, I wasn't really concerned with the acne, I just wanted it to stop being so painful). And because I was living in a dorm, exposure to people while I wasn't wearing makeup was inevitable. I called my mom crying several times, and luckily, she took me to the nearby dermatologist who prescribed me Minocycline, and at the sight of my face, even strongly recommended Accutane. Within a few months of taking the Minocycline, my skin finally cleared up, and although it was much, much better, I still had remaining hyperpigmentation that I'm dealing with now over a year later. I believe the cleanser caused this facial eruption, and that I am probably allergic to the salicylic acid in the product, as my face looked like I had had one. I also believe, however, that this product is the root of all evil and should be avoided, along with all of the other drugstore products that only 'work' for people with already perfectly clear skin (I'm looking at you Neutrogena). Please PLEASE do NOT waste your money on this worthless, life-ruining product. Invest in skincare that is not so chemically strong, and make sure you aren't allergic to salicylic acid.

on 12/26/2017 10:19:00 AM

this cleanser is so, so drying! my skin feels very uncomfortable after rinsing it off. my oily t-zone must compensate with more oil while looking super dehydrated and crusty underneath all the grease, no moisturizer is hydrating enough to hydrate my dry areas, etc. but I like the scent, and if you like this, the tube will last for a while - you don't need a lot, because it cleanses well! it hasn't broken me out yet either, which is nice, because I don't have it in me to throw it away yet. too much left. will buy and try using a milder cleanser every other wash until the tube is empty.

on 10/13/2017 1:23:00 PM

Decent cleanser but I prefer the gel cleansers from Peter Thomas Roth. Murad's Clarifying Cleanser has a dulling effect on my skin. It just robs me of my glow. It keeps my oily-combo skin clear, rinses off nicely, no residue, doesn't dry me out, lots of good things. But I don't care for the way it makes my skin look. Tired.

I wouldn't buy it again.

on 7/26/2017 12:46:00 PM

I've bought this 2-3 times. $30 is a lot for a cleanser but it really does last awhile so it evens out. I felt like it really helped when my skin first started clearing up from cystic acne and I could feel a tingle. But this isn't the only thing that helped, it was a small aide. This was almost 2 years ago. Now I think my skin has gotten used to it or something. I only use as night as washing twice a day dries my skin out. I've been getting more and more breakouts lately so I don't think this is really helping anything anymore. I use a small amount with my clarisonic at night. I'll use it up but search for a new cleanser once this is gone. Also, I keep this in the shower with the cap closed but somehow water gets into it.

on 6/19/2017 4:26:00 PM

pretty good cleanser, not sure if it especially helped my acne. first of all i have sensitive relatively dry skin and this cleanser did not dry out my skin like many acne cleansers do so props for that, i also got lots of compliments saying my skin "glowed" while using this cleanser. i didn't personally notice it really helping my acne in any major way but it certainly didnt make it worse, i feel that perhaps this cleanser just isnt really meant for hormonal acne.

my sister also used this cleanser, she has oilier, less sensitive skin and is more prone to non hormonal acne, this reallly did make her skin glow and it did help her acne.

pros: seems to work on all skin types, makes your skin really glow, long lasting (one bottle lasted me two years) and seems to have no fragrance for those sensitive to that.
cons: doesnt seem to work well on hormonal ance and did not come close to completely clearing up my or my sisters acne.

in conclusion, its a solid cleanser but i would only suggest it for those with mild, non hormonal acne.

on 6/14/2017 9:10:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure

I got a lot of pimples after i used it

on 12/18/2016 8:54:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

No no no no NO. First, the active ingredient, the BHA salicylic acid, gets washed down the drain & never has a chance to get into pores & declog them. It burns your eyes, too, and plenty of cleansers do a better job without that.

Second, that minty feel? That's your skin irritated--that tingling is a defense, and the reaction causes your skin to swell (think of swelling in a joint, or a mosquito bite), thus giving you the very wrong illusion of flush, smooth (ie swollen) skin--it's temporary too. It also burns your eyes, and hey guess what? That contributes to wrinkles since everybody ends up doing some rubbing when their eyes sting.

Third, the 3rd ingredient, a nasty composition called Sodium C14-16 Olefin Sulfonate, is a detergent that makes a lot of foam & is an ingredient to avoid in shampoo because it strips hair color by opening the cuticle with its detergent action. If it's strong enough to strip hair color, it's strong enough to mess up fragile facial skin, especially the thinner skin around the eyes. It, too, burns eyes.

There are even more irritants, all masked like thugs in an alleyway by some soothing ingredients. Don't be mistaken: they are causing damage you won't appreciate until years down the line. This is why a gentle routine, even if you have oily skin, is imperative from your early 20's.

As I said in my review of Fresh Soy Cleanser, there are always gonna be the few who shout, "this is the only thing that worked!" That cannot statistically be true, period. There are so many irritants in this product, you may as well go without sunscreen, especially around your eyes. All this cleanser does is irritate and thin your skin from strong detergents, irritants, and a fallacy suggesting the BHA salicylic acid can do anything but sting your eyes & get washed down the drain.

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

Before I start, I should probably say that because I've had moderate acne for the past two and a half years or so, I've tried SO many different cleansers, toners, moisturisers, treatments etc. This is by far one of my favourite products, and right now I'm loving Murad's acne prone skin line. So good.

I like to double cleanse both morning and night, so I use this after my La Roche Posay Effaclar foaming cleanser and together they just work beautifully to rid my skin of any grease. This has menthol in it, if I'm correct so it gives your face a cooling sensation which is actually quite satisfying, although admittedly the first time I used it I was a bit worried because of it! But now I've been using it for about a week and a half, I don't really notice it anymore. The salicyic acid combats my acne really well, and I didn't even experience any purging which I appreciate.

All in all, the products in this line are amazing but this is one of the best. It is kinda expensive but if it helps with my acne I'm willing to continue buying it.

I am a little surprised by the rating of this product, as it is lower than I expected it to be. For myself, it has worked fairly well. Though, I expect it is a "your mileage may vary" kind of thing. I have noticed a few negatives: 1) it is very strong cleanser: sometimes, when I apply a little too much I feel like my skin is "drowning" in it; 2) it can be drying if used too often; and 3) I can smell the cleaning agents: citrusy, almost medicinal.

The positives or flipside to the negatives above is that
1) a small amount goes a long way, so it can be cost effective.

I also suspect that the causes of the above is due to the amount of 2) salicylic acid AND toning/balancing agents in the cleanser (if you look at the label, it will say "CLEANSE | TONE"). This can be a very good (in my opinion) for those suffering from very oily, blemish-prone skin.

I also find that this cleanser 3) works especially well during the warmer months where I live (mid-Atlantic, humid, sticky, climate - bleach). It really helps keep my skin clear and balanced, even if I use it once a day. During the cooler, drier, months I use it every other day at morning/night, or whenever my skin is feeling particularly oily or grimy.

Price a little steep but, if used judiciously, it can go a long way. I think this is geared more towards those who have normal-to-oily, or very oily skin, and are blemish-prone. Those with drier or even more normal skin types might want to avoid this, or just use it during times when suffering from break-outs.

Overall, I give it 4.5 - 5 lippies :).

on 1/30/2016 6:30:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I picked up a smaller size of this when a dermatologist site was going to stop selling the brand (half off!) with the idea of using this once or twice a week. My absolute first impression was that I HATED the smell. It smells a little bit of peppermint (not a favourite of mine) but mostly it just has a really chemical/strong scent to it. It definitely is a stronger cleanser as well, and you can feel it working on your skin almost immediately. It also has some cooling effect, which I would guess is down to the menthol. After a few weeks of using it once/twice a week I can't say that I see a drastic change in my skin, but it does seem a bit more clear. It definitely does right after I've used it, anyway. I use it with my Luna mini, and my skin is heavenly soft and feel really "clarified" afterwards, as the names promises. It hasn't dried me out despite the winter season, but I can imagine that it would if I used it more regularly and didn't moisturize enough afterwards. Hopefully I can keep using this twice a week and keep my skin "in check" for the most part.

Short version..

The good:
+ Clears up my skin
+ A little goes a long way, especially with the Luna helping in lathering it up
+ The cooling effect is quite nice
+ Salicylic acid! (If you're a fan of that, like me)

The bad
- Pretty harsh, definitely not for daily use
- The smell (though I have gotten used to it to the point that it doesn't bother me that much anymore, it's just not very nice)
- The price of the brand

When I checked "yes" to repurchasing, it was with the added condition "if I can afford and/or justify buying it again.."