Murad Clarifying Cleanser

Murad Clarifying Cleanser

3.6

Water, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Sodium C14-16 Olefin Sulfonate, Methyl Gluceth-20, PPG-26-Buteth-26, PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Butylene Glycol, Cimicifuga Racemosa Root Extract, Camellia Oleifera Leaf Extract, Silver Citrate, Menthol, PEG-150 Distearate, Corn Starch, Hydrolyzed Corn Starch, Hydrolyzed Corn Starch Octenylsuccinate, Glyceryl Stearate, Cocamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Polysorbate 80, Citric Acid, Tetrasodium EDTA, Chlorphenesin, Methylisothiazolinone, Limonene, Tangerine Leaf Oil, Citronella Oil, Lemon Peel Oil, Lime Oil, Lavandula Hybrida Oil, Mandarin Orange Peel Oil, Apricot Kernel Oil, Fragrance.

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

Before I start, I should probably say that because I've had moderate acne for the past two and a half years or so, I've tried SO many different cleansers, toners, moisturisers, treatments etc. This is by far one of my favourite products, and right now I'm loving Murad's acne prone skin line. So good.

I like to double cleanse both morning and night, so I use this after my La Roche Posay Effaclar foaming cleanser and together they just work beautifully to rid my skin of any grease. This has menthol in it, if I'm correct so it gives your face a cooling sensation which is actually quite satisfying, although admittedly the first time I used it I was a bit worried because of it! But now I've been using it for about a week and a half, I don't really notice it anymore. The salicyic acid combats my acne really well, and I didn't even experience any purging which I appreciate.

All in all, the products in this line are amazing but this is one of the best. It is kinda expensive but if it helps with my acne I'm willing to continue buying it.

on 1/30/2016 6:30:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I picked up a smaller size of this when a dermatologist site was going to stop selling the brand (half off!) with the idea of using this once or twice a week. My absolute first impression was that I HATED the smell. It smells a little bit of peppermint (not a favourite of mine) but mostly it just has a really chemical/strong scent to it. It definitely is a stronger cleanser as well, and you can feel it working on your skin almost immediately. It also has some cooling effect, which I would guess is down to the menthol. After a few weeks of using it once/twice a week I can't say that I see a drastic change in my skin, but it does seem a bit more clear. It definitely does right after I've used it, anyway. I use it with my Luna mini, and my skin is heavenly soft and feel really "clarified" afterwards, as the names promises. It hasn't dried me out despite the winter season, but I can imagine that it would if I used it more regularly and didn't moisturize enough afterwards. Hopefully I can keep using this twice a week and keep my skin "in check" for the most part.

Short version..

The good:
+ Clears up my skin
+ A little goes a long way, especially with the Luna helping in lathering it up
+ The cooling effect is quite nice
+ Salicylic acid! (If you're a fan of that, like me)

The bad
- Pretty harsh, definitely not for daily use
- The smell (though I have gotten used to it to the point that it doesn't bother me that much anymore, it's just not very nice)
- The price of the brand

When I checked "yes" to repurchasing, it was with the added condition "if I can afford and/or justify buying it again.."

To Read all 306 Reviews, Login or Join

I am a little surprised by the rating of this product, as it is lower than I expected it to be. For myself, it has worked fairly well. Though, I expect it is a "your mileage may vary" kind of thing. I have noticed a few negatives: 1) it is very strong cleanser: sometimes, when I apply a little too much I feel like my skin is "drowning" in it; 2) it can be drying if used too often; and 3) I can smell the cleaning agents: citrusy, almost medicinal.

The positives or flipside to the negatives above is that
1) a small amount goes a long way, so it can be cost effective.

I also suspect that the causes of the above is due to the amount of 2) salicylic acid AND toning/balancing agents in the cleanser (if you look at the label, it will say "CLEANSE | TONE"). This can be a very good (in my opinion) for those suffering from very oily, blemish-prone skin.

I also find that this cleanser 3) works especially well during the warmer months where I live (mid-Atlantic, humid, sticky, climate - bleach). It really helps keep my skin clear and balanced, even if I use it once a day. During the cooler, drier, months I use it every other day at morning/night, or whenever my skin is feeling particularly oily or grimy.

Price a little steep but, if used judiciously, it can go a long way. I think this is geared more towards those who have normal-to-oily, or very oily skin, and are blemish-prone. Those with drier or even more normal skin types might want to avoid this, or just use it during times when suffering from break-outs.

Overall, I give it 4.5 - 5 lippies :).

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

To put it simply, this face wash works. It really does.

The smell is off-putting and it is expensive. I will continue to buy it and smile.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I don't have sensitive skin and I don't break out easily...I got this for free and decided to give it a try. Worst decision of my life! I only used this 3 days and it made my skin get so dry, itchy and it has this slightly painful rash all over! Tiny red bumps all over my face and neck...and I am on day 4 of having this issue. I usually research when Im going to use something on my face and didn't this time thinking I would be ok since Ive heard decent things about this brand. Ugh, never again....don't risk it and skip this face wash!

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

I have been struggling with small bumps all over my face over the past few years, when I say small I mean very small but they interfere with the quality of my skin texture even though makeup covers most of the appearance of them. I read thr reviews and bought it a tsephor thinking why not give it a try....literally within 3 days my skin was completely clear. I realized that my problem was a result of bacteria on my face building from my oily skin (I also live in very hot weather- Las Vegas). I use this now along with the oil control lotion and my siin is completely smooth. I do not even have hormonal breakouts. I would highly reccomend this! Remove your makeup first, then cleanse....this works really well when your pores are already open, like in the shower. Hope this helps!

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

I'm giving this product a 5/5 because this honestly has stop so many breakouts on my face and has really helped in clearing up my skin. This with a facial toner and their perfecting lotion has changed my face completely. I no longer break out as much as I used to. I don't have extreme acne but I always seem to have a pimple on my face and this has changed the feel of my skin. It's gotten so much smoother. It's not cheap but it's worth it.

on 6/13/2015 10:22:00 PM

I have been struggling with an overabundance of blemishes on the sides of my chin and on my forehead for the past year (stress and hormone related) which is totally unusual for me as I have always had clear skin with the occasional ONE blemish.
Anyways, I really like this cleanser because it actually does not dry my skin out which is not even oily or anything to begin with, but also it makes my skin tone look really clear and even as soon as I dry my face off. My skin is supple and soft to the touch. A little bit also goes a long way. For now I only have the small travel size which is still a pretty generous amount and I predict it will last me quite a while for now.

on 6/13/2015 2:45:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I was disappointed !!! My skin was so dry after using this ! Plus had the worst allergic reaction. Don't use it if u have sensitive skin

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I love this stuff! Recently, I have been having terrible hormonal/stress breakouts on my forehead and, cheeks and chin area. I never had this bad of a breakout, few here and there but nothing major. I tried pretty much everything from Proactive (which Iíve tried years ago and worked), other skincare lines which contains either benzoyl peroxide or salicylic acid(which also have worked) and even my faithful prescription epiduo. However nothing was working. I have not tried any of the Murad skincare so I said why not. This has changed my life! Now my bumps all over my face are under control and it really helps from future breakouts. Not sure why other products w/salicylic acid didnít work but this has been working for me so far.