Murad Clarifying Cleanser

Murad Clarifying Cleanser

3.6

Water, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Sodium C14-16 Olefin Sulfonate, Methyl Gluceth-20, PPG-26-Buteth-26, PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Butylene Glycol, Cimicifuga Racemosa Root Extract, Camellia Oleifera Leaf Extract, Silver Citrate, Menthol, PEG-150 Distearate, Corn Starch, Hydrolyzed Corn Starch, Hydrolyzed Corn Starch Octenylsuccinate, Glyceryl Stearate, Cocamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Polysorbate 80, Citric Acid, Tetrasodium EDTA, Chlorphenesin, Methylisothiazolinone, Limonene, Tangerine Leaf Oil, Citronella Oil, Lemon Peel Oil, Lime Oil, Lavandula Hybrida Oil, Mandarin Orange Peel Oil, Apricot Kernel Oil, Fragrance.

on 10/13/2017 1:23:00 PM

Decent cleanser but I prefer the gel cleansers from Peter Thomas Roth. Murad's Clarifying Cleanser has a dulling effect on my skin. It just robs me of my glow. It keeps my oily-combo skin clear, rinses off nicely, no residue, doesn't dry me out, lots of good things. But I don't care for the way it makes my skin look. Tired.

I wouldn't buy it again.

on 7/26/2017 12:46:00 PM

I've bought this 2-3 times. $30 is a lot for a cleanser but it really does last awhile so it evens out. I felt like it really helped when my skin first started clearing up from cystic acne and I could feel a tingle. But this isn't the only thing that helped, it was a small aide. This was almost 2 years ago. Now I think my skin has gotten used to it or something. I only use as night as washing twice a day dries my skin out. I've been getting more and more breakouts lately so I don't think this is really helping anything anymore. I use a small amount with my clarisonic at night. I'll use it up but search for a new cleanser once this is gone. Also, I keep this in the shower with the cap closed but somehow water gets into it.

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

Before I start, I should probably say that because I've had moderate acne for the past two and a half years or so, I've tried SO many different cleansers, toners, moisturisers, treatments etc. This is by far one of my favourite products, and right now I'm loving Murad's acne prone skin line. So good.

I like to double cleanse both morning and night, so I use this after my La Roche Posay Effaclar foaming cleanser and together they just work beautifully to rid my skin of any grease. This has menthol in it, if I'm correct so it gives your face a cooling sensation which is actually quite satisfying, although admittedly the first time I used it I was a bit worried because of it! But now I've been using it for about a week and a half, I don't really notice it anymore. The salicyic acid combats my acne really well, and I didn't even experience any purging which I appreciate.

All in all, the products in this line are amazing but this is one of the best. It is kinda expensive but if it helps with my acne I'm willing to continue buying it.

on 12/18/2016 8:54:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

No no no no NO. First, the active ingredient, the BHA salicylic acid, gets washed down the drain & never has a chance to get into pores & declog them. It burns your eyes, too, and plenty of cleansers do a better job without that.

Second, that minty feel? That's your skin irritated--that tingling is a defense, and the reaction causes your skin to swell (think of swelling in a joint, or a mosquito bite), thus giving you the very wrong illusion of flush, smooth (ie swollen) skin--it's temporary too. It also burns your eyes, and hey guess what? That contributes to wrinkles since everybody ends up doing some rubbing when their eyes sting.

Third, the 3rd ingredient, a nasty composition called Sodium C14-16 Olefin Sulfonate, is a detergent that makes a lot of foam & is an ingredient to avoid in shampoo because it strips hair color by opening the cuticle with its detergent action. If it's strong enough to strip hair color, it's strong enough to mess up fragile facial skin, especially the thinner skin around the eyes. It, too, burns eyes.

There are even more irritants, all masked like thugs in an alleyway by some soothing ingredients. Don't be mistaken: they are causing damage you won't appreciate until years down the line. This is why a gentle routine, even if you have oily skin, is imperative from your early 20's.

As I said in my review of Fresh Soy Cleanser, there are always gonna be the few who shout, "this is the only thing that worked!" That cannot statistically be true, period. There are so many irritants in this product, you may as well go without sunscreen, especially around your eyes. All this cleanser does is irritate and thin your skin from strong detergents, irritants, and a fallacy suggesting the BHA salicylic acid can do anything but sting your eyes & get washed down the drain.

on 6/19/2017 4:26:00 PM

pretty good cleanser, not sure if it especially helped my acne. first of all i have sensitive relatively dry skin and this cleanser did not dry out my skin like many acne cleansers do so props for that, i also got lots of compliments saying my skin "glowed" while using this cleanser. i didn't personally notice it really helping my acne in any major way but it certainly didnt make it worse, i feel that perhaps this cleanser just isnt really meant for hormonal acne.

my sister also used this cleanser, she has oilier, less sensitive skin and is more prone to non hormonal acne, this reallly did make her skin glow and it did help her acne.

pros: seems to work on all skin types, makes your skin really glow, long lasting (one bottle lasted me two years) and seems to have no fragrance for those sensitive to that.
cons: doesnt seem to work well on hormonal ance and did not come close to completely clearing up my or my sisters acne.

in conclusion, its a solid cleanser but i would only suggest it for those with mild, non hormonal acne.

on 6/14/2017 9:10:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure

I got a lot of pimples after i used it

I am a little surprised by the rating of this product, as it is lower than I expected it to be. For myself, it has worked fairly well. Though, I expect it is a "your mileage may vary" kind of thing. I have noticed a few negatives: 1) it is very strong cleanser: sometimes, when I apply a little too much I feel like my skin is "drowning" in it; 2) it can be drying if used too often; and 3) I can smell the cleaning agents: citrusy, almost medicinal.

The positives or flipside to the negatives above is that
1) a small amount goes a long way, so it can be cost effective.

I also suspect that the causes of the above is due to the amount of 2) salicylic acid AND toning/balancing agents in the cleanser (if you look at the label, it will say "CLEANSE | TONE"). This can be a very good (in my opinion) for those suffering from very oily, blemish-prone skin.

I also find that this cleanser 3) works especially well during the warmer months where I live (mid-Atlantic, humid, sticky, climate - bleach). It really helps keep my skin clear and balanced, even if I use it once a day. During the cooler, drier, months I use it every other day at morning/night, or whenever my skin is feeling particularly oily or grimy.

Price a little steep but, if used judiciously, it can go a long way. I think this is geared more towards those who have normal-to-oily, or very oily skin, and are blemish-prone. Those with drier or even more normal skin types might want to avoid this, or just use it during times when suffering from break-outs.

Overall, I give it 4.5 - 5 lippies :).

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

To put it simply, this face wash works. It really does.

The smell is off-putting and it is expensive. I will continue to buy it and smile.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I don't have sensitive skin and I don't break out easily...I got this for free and decided to give it a try. Worst decision of my life! I only used this 3 days and it made my skin get so dry, itchy and it has this slightly painful rash all over! Tiny red bumps all over my face and neck...and I am on day 4 of having this issue. I usually research when Im going to use something on my face and didn't this time thinking I would be ok since Ive heard decent things about this brand. Ugh, never again....don't risk it and skip this face wash!

on 1/30/2016 6:30:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I picked up a smaller size of this when a dermatologist site was going to stop selling the brand (half off!) with the idea of using this once or twice a week. My absolute first impression was that I HATED the smell. It smells a little bit of peppermint (not a favourite of mine) but mostly it just has a really chemical/strong scent to it. It definitely is a stronger cleanser as well, and you can feel it working on your skin almost immediately. It also has some cooling effect, which I would guess is down to the menthol. After a few weeks of using it once/twice a week I can't say that I see a drastic change in my skin, but it does seem a bit more clear. It definitely does right after I've used it, anyway. I use it with my Luna mini, and my skin is heavenly soft and feel really "clarified" afterwards, as the names promises. It hasn't dried me out despite the winter season, but I can imagine that it would if I used it more regularly and didn't moisturize enough afterwards. Hopefully I can keep using this twice a week and keep my skin "in check" for the most part.

Short version..

The good:
+ Clears up my skin
+ A little goes a long way, especially with the Luna helping in lathering it up
+ The cooling effect is quite nice
+ Salicylic acid! (If you're a fan of that, like me)

The bad
- Pretty harsh, definitely not for daily use
- The smell (though I have gotten used to it to the point that it doesn't bother me that much anymore, it's just not very nice)
- The price of the brand

When I checked "yes" to repurchasing, it was with the added condition "if I can afford and/or justify buying it again.."