Avon Rare Gold

Very feminine scent that smells like designer perfumes. it smells like awesome jasmine
When I first apply ; after a while the smells of jasmine faint to a very flattering bergamot. and amber scent.
the staying power of the EDP is also amazing

Top Notes: Mandarin Orange, Peach, Ylang-Ylang, Bergamot.

Heart Notes: Aldehydes, Tuberose, Orange Blossom, Gardenia, Jasmine, Lily of the Valley.

Base Notes: Sandalwood, Amber, Musk, Vanilla, Woodsy Notes.

I recently acquired a vintage bottle new in box bottle of Rare Gold, the one with the fan shaped top. Upon first spray, I did not like it very much. It seemed to have the typical Avon DNA that I have never really cared for in the past. However, I persevered and tried it a second, a third, a fourth, and now a fifth time, and each time I wear it, I like it more and more.

The peach note in it is sweet, juicy, and verging on overripeness--the total opposite of the peach note in Mitsouko EdP which is much greener and drier to my nose. The ylang-ylang really compliments the peach and the various white flowers. It smells quite sweet, juicy, creamy, and well, luscious. Might it almost be a tropical? Possibly so.

I do not detect much amber or sandalwood in Rare Gold. I get some sandalwood and vanilla in the deep dry down. I mainly perceive the peach, ylang-ylang, and various white flowers throughout. With four big sprays I get quite decent projection and sillage. Longevity is a very solid 3+ hours on me before it begins to evolve into into a skin scent. If I only use two sprays, I do not get the projection, sillage or longevity I get with four, so I would say Rare Gold is not a fragrance that is very easily over sprayed, but more than four good sprays would probably be a bit too much for most.

Rare Gold smells like a more expensive fragarnce than it is. At this price point, if you like these notes, I think you should try it. It is sweet, feminine, and sexy in an innocent sort of way. Think Mary Ann, not Ginger.

Fragrance: 7/10
Longevity: 7/10
Sillage: 8/10 for the first two or three hours then 3/5 for another two or three hours.
Projection: 8/10 for the first two or three hours then 3/5 for another two or three hours.

Rare Gold turns into a skin scent on me in about five hours which is not too shabby. I have some much more expensive parfums (looking at you Chanel) that do not perform this well.

To Read all 84 Reviews, Login or Join

Skin: Oily, Olive, Cool

Orange flowers and amber??? That's my jam!!! It's warm and feminine and heady: contains notes of ylang-ylang, freshly sweet bergamot, and mandarin, with heart wrapped with purely sweet jasmine, orange blossom, lily of the valley, tuberose, gardenia and aldehydes. Also base brings woodsy notes of sandal wood, amber and powdery vanilla.

This smells great..and I wore it for years. I recently started wearing Red Door because as much as I thought Rare Gold smelled nice, I NEVER got any compliments- yes I am insecure like that :-(....to be honest I received very few compliments on any of my Avon fragrances.
The fragrances I think are the best from Avon are- Imari Seduction, Haiku, Rare Gold, and Far Away.
I only ever got compliments on Far Away and Haiku, and Unfortunately those weer few and far between!

Skin: Other, Other, Warm

The Jasmine in Rare Gold is so addictive, I could smell this all day..
Rare Gold is so pretty, an awesome warm floral.
It puts me in a good mood.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I adore this little beauty. Sadly they have discontinued this in most countries other than the US but can still track it down online. A wonderful slightly syrupy yellow floral with honey, ylang-ylang and woodsy notes. A very 'golden' floral oriental. It smells classy and refined to me - and with the price you can't go wrong. This and Imari are my go to avon scents!

This one is not really for me. To me, it smells kind of like bubble gum with amber over it. Its a little strange smelling. Its quite "warm" smelling, which I do like. Have the purse size, will not be buying this in a bigger size.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

My favorite Avon scent and it had been for at least 10 years! Rare Gold is a warm, amber-floral bouquet that truly radiates a golden aura. As other reviews mentioned, it is in the same family as Amarige, but I find it less sharp than Amarige, which turned sour on my skin. I also liken it distantly to Elizabeth Arden 5th Avenue and Gucci Guilty. If either of those smell great on you, give Rare Gold a try, you might get a cheap thrill!

I love Rare Gold,it's my favorite from Avon...This is one scent I stock up when they have specials.I think it smells similar to Amarige which I also love.The difference to me is that Rare Gold is a warmer scent because of the Amber and vanilla, Amarige is more of a floral.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

My grandmother gave me this scent many years ago and I started wearing it this year. It is so incredibly beautiful, warm, and spicy with just the right hint of fruit and floral. One of my signature scents, Rare Gold is subtle, distinctive and feminine. The perfume lasts for hours and leaves a linger in the air that adds a fragrant elegance to match my makeup and wardrobe. I often wear this scent at parties because I find it very enchanting. I adore this perfume and will buy it as long as I can. I recommend this to young women like myself who wish to break free of candy-like and overly fruity fragrances.

Popular Fragrances