L'Oreal Paris Colour Riche Lipstick in Mystic Mauve

No Image

3.9

on 2/18/2003 10:55:00 AM

Wow. I never thought I could wear dark shades or steer away from my umpteen million beige and nude lipsticks but L'oreal's Mystic Mauve has rangled me in. A friend of mine, who happens to have the same coloring as me (MMM with Dark Brown hair and eyes), was wearing this shade one day and I just had to ask her what it was. It looked great on her, so I picked it up on one of my drugstore runs. I'm very impressed with it, and I also love layering L'Oreal's Glass Shine in Honey Halo over this, which is a goldish gloss that really compliments this shade. I had the way L'Oreal's lipsticks smell, but I got over it real quick with this shade!

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

This the perfect neutral shade for me. I have dark skin with golden undertones. I got Mystic Mauve because it looked alot like a discontinued l/s by the clothing brand "Delia's". I have been searching for a lookalike for about 5 years. I've finally found it. This L'Oreal lipstick is even better because I don't have to order it and I can get it at any drugstore or any other place that sell's L'Oreal. It's also very moisturizing and stays on longer since it's nicely pigmented. This can go on sheer or heavier. I like it sheer or somwhere in between. I recommend adding a little touch of gloss on top for a softer look. I do this anyway since I'm more of a lipgloss girl. I usually wear nice neutral l/s's like this one when I do wear l/s's.

on 9/5/2005 11:54:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure

I just purchased this unique, violet-topaz-frost shade after having been fascinated by it for months each time I passed the Colour Riche display at Walgreens. The L'Oreal website lists it as a "cool" shade, but it is deep enough and contains enough plum-brown tones to qualify it as a neutral IMO. (For reference I am a neutral-to-yellow-toned ivory PPP with brown eyes and warm brown hair who looks more "natural" in warm tones but can pull off some vibrant or dark cool shades by virtue of being pale.) Well, I was not disappointed. First of all, Colour Riche has been reformulated in the past few months, which I knew from seeing magazine ads, and the lipstick displays have been reorganized by color grouping and contain several new shades. I noticed right away that the new formula is even creamier and more balm-like than the old, and noticeably less perfumed. As for the color, TRES CHIC! Really brings out the brown in my eyes and hair, while being decidedly purplish, and with enough pearlescence to brighten and highlight my smile. Looks very modern and striking. Great with a deep plum blush and raisin eyeshadow. I took off one lippie b/c this color is a little hard to pull off without other makeup, as it is a deep metallic and does not contain red or pink tones AT ALL.

on 9/27/2005 2:42:00 PM

I was not particulartly impressed with this color, after all the hype. Just seems rather ordinary and everyday, which is fine if that's what you are looking for. It is a mauve frost with brownish undertones, VERY neutral. On the plus side, it is very moist and applies smoothly. I just thought the color was a bit boring for me.

on 10/11/2006 4:31:00 PM

Bought this compulsively at the store last night b/c it looked so gorgeous in the tube.
I feel like on my lips, it needs a little more warmth or red to keep it from looking so dark and flat. I could probably easily correct this by mixing or with a liner, but I don't get too impressed by any product if it ain't perfect stand-alone. I bet this would look SO amazing on a gal w/ porcelain skin, dark hair, and green eyes. I might be a little too yellow : )

on 11/22/2006 6:02:00 PM

Well the reviewer below was right when she said it can be dark and flat, though I am PPP w/brown hair and it doesn't really change that. I use this mostly to pair with other lippies to change their color or give them more staing power - this stuff hangs in there pretty well. It's a little more brown than I'd like, and even though I've repurchased, I don't think I will again.
On the plus side it doesn't dry out my lips, and L'Oreal lipsticks generally last awhile and smell pretty good.

Although I wear cool colors by nature, this color is too cool for my skin tone. It has a silver purple sheen to it that kind of does weird stuff to my skin color. On the plus side, my mom said it makes my tan stand out (?) I don't like the taste of this lipstick either, but I don't pay much attention to that. Oh well, I'll keep searching.

on 1/18/2008 1:53:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

YAY! Finally, a keeper! I have dark/medium brown hair, very light (and often ruddy) skin and blue eyes.

COLOR: On me, it's a medium-toned browninsh purple with a little bit of sheen. A light coat seems to just tone down the red of my face and a couple of layers looks pouty and chic. Looks fabu with lots of dark brown eyeliner.

FORMULA: The colour riche formula seems to stay on for a long time -- and doesn't migrate.

FASHION: This color looks totally neutral, polished and just a little bit on the funky side. Just fun and sexy enough for someone my age (almost 40). Makes a statement without screaming "I'm trying really hard to be young and trendy"! A very nice change from the old-lady nudes, pinks and reds.

on 7/23/2009 6:45:00 PM

I really like this shade on me. I have always been a fan of darker brownish colors and this one works great. I don't use this everyday though, most of the time I use it for a night out on the town, which is when I use bolder colors. Very pretty though and glad I purchased it.

on 2/8/2011 1:44:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Other, Neutral

I've always been a lip gloss person and not a lipstick person but lately I've been experimenting with lipsticks a lot. I have found that I really like the L'Oreal Color Rich lipsticks because they are creamy and moisturizing. They don't dry out my lips and turn into a mess. I tend to always go for some shade of red or pink sticky, shiny lipgloss so I've been trying to get away from that some. I can pull off deep red and wine lipsticks pretty good so I was scared to try this one. But I actually like it, a LOT! I also bought this in Mica and I love that shade too. This seems to be very neutral. It doesn't have any red or pink to it at all on me. It looks professional, polished, and inviting in my opinion. I would definitely buy it again if something were to happen to this tube or I use it up.