no images

price range

Reviews

3.0

4 years ago

First let me say that I am a candle lover and obsessively so. I have amassed quite the collection of high end candles and I am constantly adding to it. Truth be told I kind of consider myself a candle connoisseur of sorts. That said, I'm not really over the moon for this brand as a whole, and I am not overly impressed by their scents or throw. Don't get me wrong; I do like Diptyque candles. I just don't love them. First the pros... Diptyque does offer a large array of candle scents, so many that there really is a fit for every candle lover. My personal favorites are Mimosa and Baies, and I also really like their limited edition Rose re-workings in which they release each year. Although I am more of a floral and citrus kinda gal, I think their Feu de Bois (wood fire) is really neat during the winter months and I like to pair it with various fruity scented candles. Being that I am a huge fan of Fig and Tuberose candles, one would think I'd be into Tuberuse and Figuer which are incredibly popular, but I am not; Diptyque just can't hold a candle to Trapp's fig or tuberose, which is also half the price [uber cheesy pun totally intended]. My main issue with Diptyque candles is that the throw is not very good in comparison to a lot of other high end and/or artisan brands. It doesn't matter whether I am burning the 6.5 size ($62.00) or 10.2 ($90.00). Now mind you I live in a pretty small apartment, so this shouldn't be an issue, nor is it with other brands. IMO if you are looking for strong scent and some serious throw, these don't even come close to Voluspa, Trapp, Nest, or Seda France. Another thing, and its a big one: I have run into more tunneling issues with these candles than any other luxury brand. And trust that its not me or anything I am doing - I know how to prevent tunneling via allowing much time during the first burn, that's not the problem. I really just don't feel these are as well made as they should be for the price and reputation. As far as luxury candles go, these definitely hold the title for most sought after and adored. However, these are far from my faves. I feel that Diptyque really needs to modernize and step up their quality game because nowadays artisan candle makers are getting better and better, at a fraction of the price.

About reviewer (497 reviews)

SkinDry, Fair-Medium, Warm

HairBlack, Curly, Coarse

2.0

5 years ago

Really disappointing - an expensive treat for myself. I love the scent of jasmine, but this candle, whilst certainly powerful, smells like cheap floral disinfectant.

About reviewer (20 reviews)

SkinNormal, Fair

HairSilver

EyesBlue

5 years ago

I have an obsession with candles and I have never yet found candles as good as Diptyque. Yes they're expensive but you don't need to keep it lit for long to get an amazing perfumes room. Some varieties are stronger than others. Tuberose is the best in my opinion.

About reviewer (8 reviews)

SkinSensitive, Olive

6 years ago

When I ordered a votive size of Patchouli, unsniffed, I was super nervous because I had never spent $30 on a candle before. I almost scent it back because fresh and unlit it had a definite strong masculine-cologne vibe to it, but I hung onto it and noticed the scent mellowed some. Then when I lit it, it really came into its own. To my nose this is a deep, fresh-warm woody scent, not a dirty or earthy patchouli. It's a lot more like the patchouli in nice Japanese incense. There's the slightest bit of something subtly vanillic -- my guess is this would best be called tonka -- but it's definitely not a sweet scent. It's really gorgeous, and even unlit the fragrance is perceptible several feet away. The fragrance fills the room quickly when it's lit. My main reason for 4 lippies instead of 5 is that I'm getting tunneling/uneven burn despite following the advice on the box to straighten/trim the wick after every burn and keep it out of drafts. Maybe this is because it is so expensive and highly scented, which is a combination that encourages shorter burn time, but I still feel it's a bit much for a $30 votive. My plan if all the wax doesn't burn down is to put it in a tart warmer, but I feel I shouldn't have to have a contingency plan for a candle that's supposed to be top quality and a luxury brand.

About reviewer (282 reviews)

Age30-35

SkinSensitive, Fair, Not Sure

HairOther, Straight, Fine

EyesGray

7 years ago

I've been obsessed with Diptyque candles since I purchased my first about 10 years ago (Tubereuse). The quality is absolutely unrivaled, and each scent is pure bliss. Quality, pure oils, hand-set lead-free wicks, only the finest blend of waxes, and gorgeous jars with the signature Diptyque look and feel. The candles look absolutely lovely throughout my home, from my dresser to the bathrooms to the living room and the kitchen. They give excellent scent throw, and the jars can be reused for things like pencils, paper clips, change, even small flowers. I would choose Diptyque over any other candle brand, including rivals like Jo Malone. There's simply no comparison.

About reviewer (56 reviews)

Age36-43

SkinCombination, Fair, Warm

HairRed, Wavy, Coarse

EyesHazel

3.0

10 years ago

amazing candles that burn very clean, but go way too fast for $40.

About reviewer (80 reviews)

Age36-43

SkinCombination, Dark

11 years ago

BEST. CANDLES. EVER. I have tried countless varieties of expensive brand candles, even tried making them myself using pure essential oil that cost a packet and STILL i can't recreate the glorious smell and staying power of a Diptyque candle. I have only ever bought Violette and Jasmine, both were distinct and very close to the natural scent as can be expected. Both gave off a long lasting scent that lingered for a long time in the room. The Violette one if i recall even left a scent hovering around the next day like a lovely smelling fragrant ghost. Ok, so i'm sure there are other candles out there that compare to Diptyque but i am a mere worker day ant, how much money exactly do you think i have in order to drop 80 bucks here and there on another candle only for it to disappoint? I'm over it, it's Diptyque all the way. Oh, and if there's one piece of advice i can give for when it comes to choosing a candle scent; if it has a nice distinct, strong smell when your sniffing around them like a customs dog in a shop it will be even more distinct and strong when you burn it. If you're underwhelmed with the fragrance in the shop it will not magically turn into something glorious upon lighting a match to it, Diptyque are only (i'm sorry to have to use that word) candlemakers, not alchemists lovelies! Anyway, i hope someone discovers these and enjoys them as much as i have. In the meantime i can only dream of affording one again soon...........

About reviewer (84 reviews)

Age25-29

SkinNormal, Fair, Neutral

HairBlond, Other, Other

EyesGreen

1.0

14 years ago

The sandalwood candle was quite a disappointment! I usually love these candles but could barely smell this one. I think the smell is way too subtle, smell as if..there is nothing there. oh well...

About reviewer (6 reviews)

Age30-35

SkinAcne-prone

15 years ago

My favorite candles! My top three scents are Essence of John Galliano, Feu de Bois, and Demitasse. Not in the order, but if you are ever in the presence of these, make sure you seek those out and sniff away. They are so worth the price.

About reviewer (19 reviews)

AgeUnder 18

SkinCombination, Medium

HairBrunette

19 years ago

The Diptyques are very pricey, about 40.00. But they are fabulous. Within 10 minutes the entire room is just filled with fragrance, another 10 minutes, your entire house is feeled wiyth fragrance,and the fragrance lingers for a while after you snuff the candle due to the high concentration of oils. My favorite is the Choisya which is Mexican orange blossom. The fragrances are also much richer and more complex. They are a lot of money, but they are so good. Something to treat yourself to occaisionally for a real candle experience. :)

About reviewer (781 reviews)

SkinNormal, Fair-Medium, Warm