Maybelline Volum Express Mascara

3.6

The only way for a mascara to work for me is if I curl my lashes previously, otherwise the mascara won't make a difference to them. That being said, this mascara didn't do anything for my lashes after I curled them. It didn't hold the curl, nor did it give volume to them. It looked as if I had just placed water on my lashes. At this point, after trying various types and brands of mascaras, I think that only the waterproof ones work for me. So far the only types of mascara that were able to hold my curls and make a huge difference on my eyelashes were the waterproof ones. This one specifically didn't make any difference on my eyelashes. It looked just as if my lashes didn't have anything on.

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

About me:

I have long but very sparse lashes with good natural curl. My eye shape is large, round and down-turned. I have semi-hooded lids.

I have Dry Eye and throw my mascaras out often in order to avoid infection. So I usually buy cheaper mascaras or the sample sizes from Sephora.

What I was hoping the product would do:

LOOK/BUILDABILITY: I wanted a natural looking every day mascara. I didn't want to add length since I already have it. My main concern is volume. I like lashes to look soft and fluttery, not stiff. I like for my mascaras to have the option to be build-able for a slightly more dramatic look.

STAYING POWER/REMOVAL: I want mascara to have good staying power but also to come off easily with MU and cleanser (due to my sensitive eye issues).

How it did:

LOOK/BUILDABILITY: With a couple of swipes the wand distributed the mascara nicely and evenly. The color is black without any blue undertone. It is more on the wet side but not the wettest formula I've come across. It definitely has a natural, soft look, however, with more and more layers it loses that effect without adding *that* much more volume; it starts to harden rather quickly, especially on my outer corner lashes where quite a few of them start to clump together. I am not that impressed with the amount of volume I get but at least it fulfills my criteria of prioritizing volume over length. (The worst for me is when a mascara creates only length and no volume.)

STAYING POWER/REMOVAL: I experienced zero flaking and smudging. The mascara stayed put, despite my constant application of eye drops which I have to do for my Dry Eye. It removed easily with jojoba oil or micellar water. Any traces left on my face washed away completely with my usual cleanser.

Final verdict: I wouldn't repurchase because I love it, but I would repurchase if I need to pick up a mascara and want something reliable, good for sensitive eyes and that I know will do the job.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

This product is nothing special. Its o.k., but I would not repurchase it again

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

Works better than all the various spinoffs (falsies, colossal, rocket, etc) at easily half the price. No clumps, flaking, or raccoon eyes. No spider eyes or crispy lash look; they look pretty and soft. Feels good on my sensitive eyes and stays put throughout the most hectic work day. Super impressed. Sometimes the original is the best.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

My go to for about 11 years! Tried more expensive brands and I always go back to this. I love doing 2 coats of this and then recently have done a coat of a NYX mascara. I get asked a lot if I have fake lashes or extensions in!

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

I bought this mascara after being unable to buy my previous favourite when it was discontinued. This is such a good product that I wouldn't now go back even if the other one miraculously reappeared. One minus point for people like me who can be clumsy: it has quite a chunky brush which can touch the eyelid easily if you're in a hurry - cotton bud to the rescue! However, the brush is the best I have ever used at separating and coating the lashes with just the right amount of mascara. I don't like a heavy, spiky look, but prefer more soft and natural lashes. Mine are fairly long and not too sparse. They are brown but the tips have no colour! I use a lash curler first as they are quite straight. This mascara then holds the curl amazingly, all day and evening with no loss of colour, curl or general effect.The price is very modest too: I paid just over �5.00 for it online. I have bought a few more against the day when this one too is discontinued!
Update - since writing the above I have found out that Maybelline, along with a lot of other companies, still test on animals, so I will be looking for another brand. The leaping Bunny website is a good one if you want to check out this issue.

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

My favourite mascara. I tried so many in my life and not one compares to this. Gives me long, full looking lashes and looks great all day.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This mascara is ok...it lengthens & adds volume, but smudges really easily and gets clumpy if I apply more than one coat.

Skin: Oily, Olive, Neutral

I have been buying this product off and on for the last 6 years and I always end up coming back! Incredible volume & length. Separates my lashes perfectly :).

This is one of my favorite Maybelline mascaras! It does not clump, formula is not too thick & just adds great volume & length. It doesn't flake either. Love love love this!