Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk Foundation

Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk Foundation

3.8

on 11/29/2017 1:07:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure

I don't like liquid make up because most break me out, look cakey or turns orange. This product does non of that. I don't wear a lot, I apply with a sponge, dries quick and then I set with powder over it. Keeps my nose and forehead non greasy all day!

on 10/29/2017 12:48:00 PM

I feel compelled to update my original review about this product and the sensitivities it caused, because after reading the latest reviews on top of mine, some users have reported itchiness.

Overall i'd like to thank this product and Giorgio Armani. Although it gave me a nightmarish allergic reaction - redness, burning & a patch of about 50 closely clustered whiteheads on both cheeks - it helped me to better understand my skin, identity my allergies and educate myself more about ingredients in cosmetic and skincare products.

Basically i got tired of breaking out from new products so I started a spreadsheet listing what i've used and their common ingredients (https://imgur.com/a/Atzql). Two common triggers across troublemaker products were LIMONENE and LINALOOL. Both of them are essential oils - lemon/orange and lavender in that order, and while essential oils are natural, what is not commonly known is that they are also skin allergy triggers. They have no skincare benefits and are added purely for fragrance purposes.

LIMONENE
SEE: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orange_oil

"The limonene which is the main component of the oil is a mild irritant, as it dissolves protective skin oils. Limonene and its oxidation products are skin irritants, and limonene-1,2-oxide (formed by aerial oxidation) is a known skin sensitizer. Most reported cases of irritation have involved long-term industrial exposure to the pure compound, e.g. during degreasing or the preparation of paints. However a study of patients presenting dermatitis showed that 3% were sensitized to limonene. Limonene has been observed to cause cancer in male rats, by reacting with α2u-globulin, which is not produced by female rats. There is no evidence for carcinogenicity or genotoxicity in humans. The IARC classifies d-limonene under Class 3: not classifiable as to its carcinogenicity to humans.[9] Limonene is also flammable.[10]"

P.S Limonene can also pop a balloon in one second

LINALOOL

"Linalool can be absorbed by inhalation of its aerosol and by oral intake or skin absorption, potentially causing irritation, pain and allergic reactions. Linalool is used as a scent in 60–80% of perfumed hygiene products and cleaning agents including soaps, detergents, shampoos, and lotions.[4] It is also used as a chemical intermediate. One common downstream product of linalool is vitamin E. In addition, linalool is used by pest professionals as a flea, fruit fly and cockroach insecticide."

_______________________

I'm no longer angered nor surprised that an established company like Giorgio Armani is adding these cheap and irritating ingredients in their luxury-priced products, because a lot of companies do as well in this day and age. As consumers who want to protect our skin and give it only the best, we just have to be more discerning, educated and responsible for what we put on it.

That said, not everyone is sensitive to Limonene and Linalool so i hope this review can help those with sensitive skin - please do get a sample or patch test before going full-face.

In closing, if i hadn't experienced an allergic reaction, i don't think much of this foundation in terms of wear-time nor coverage. It wasn't terrible, just average performing and the best thing about it was just about the aesthically pleasing packaging.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

This has a nice consistency and goes on the skin smoothly - almost like second skin except that it slightly clings to dry patches. But my biggest beef with this is that throughout the day, it becomes powdery and cakey on me, which is a big no-no. I really like the smell, though. And it didn't break me out when most products do.

on 8/23/2017 7:41:00 AM

Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk no. 4 --> bought this a while ago at Singapore actually the sales person told me that I should take no.3 but I think that no.4 would matches my face really well . I really love the finish , skin- like ‘I swear I’m not wearing any foundation ‘ texture. And it lasts all darn day ( But if I use it in humid country like Indonesia in few hours it looks greasy but still looks nice on my face ). One main point is this foundation didn't look greyish and oily the way Missha BB cream do. ( But, Hey don't get me wrong I still love my Missha Signature Real Complete BB cream very much because it did not cause my face to breakout but if I didn't clean it throughly it will cause a few pimples on my face eventho I rarely got any pimple )

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

Ok. Most over rated foundation ever. I dont get how people like this - it breaks on my skin like no other foundation I have ever used. Maybe it needs a ton of skin prep - which i have no time for. For the price, I dont believe this delivers any value - except the fact that it looks amazing in pictures. Maybe it has some good light reflecting properties - but when u see it face to face, its a weird cakey look. What a disappointment !

on 8/5/2017 9:12:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

Amazing! I have normal skin that sometimes is more on the dry side, I tend to get bunches of bright red spots from time to time that don't get covered well while the rest of my skin looks great. I love the dewy look, so usually everything looks flawless except this little bumpy area where red shines through slightly.
Not with this foundation! It makes me look so airbrushed. I'd say their shades are pretty accurate, I got mine right at the first try. It looks so flawless and luminous, I combine it with mac's studio finish concealer (cream in a jar) and mac strobe cream underneath. airbrushed, dewy, flawless combination!

The packaging is okay, it's nothing special but appropriate for the price point. The amount you get is normal.

Pros:
- really flawless, dewy finish
- beautiful shades
- covers well
- feels really lightweight, lasts fine

Cons:
- obvi, price.
- packaging is not special
- with a beautyblender I need multiple pumps to cover my face, definitely not "little goes a long way." (I need less with a harder sponge or brush.)

on 3/10/2017 7:52:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure

I have dry, acne prone skin with some hyperpigmentation. I've been using this for the last 2 years.

PROS:
- really amazing for dry skin. I've never had a problem with flaking or my skin feeling too tight or cakey. Even on those days where I was too lazy to prep my face correctly, this foundation was really reliable.

- when I don't have an active breakout, one pump is enough to cover dark spots as long as I used a brush instead of a beauty blender. I got the best result when I used my finger to lightly spread it over my face, left it to sit for a minute while I did my eyeliner, and then blended it in with the brush.
- Really natural finish. It looks like you don't have anything on at all. But still still really good for nights out and heavy makeup looks.

CONS:
- Not ideal for when you have a breakout. Does not cover redness well so you need 2 pumps. And the soft dewy finish was detrimental because it made light reflect off the bumps.

- The price....very high. I would repurchase this in a second if it was in the 50 dollar range but there are so many good foundations in the world. I'll look around some before I come back to this one.

I would definitely repurchase this to use at special occasions, but I'm not sure if it's worth it as an everyday foundation.

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure

O my dam I love this foundation. I have dry skin and the finish of this product is so skin like and dewy. It doesn't settle into my pores at all.

The coverage of this foundation is light, but it has a blurring effect (to me). Concealer with this foundation is a must if you have dark spots, but I find that I use MUCH less makeup overall if I'm wearing this because the finish is just that good. I appy this with a brush because my beauty blender sheers it out so much and gives it unnecessary extra moisture, if that makes sense.

My only two gripes are the price ($64 USD for a little more than an ounce!) and the color selection. All of the shades lean pink/cool toned. Once you pass the beige/taupe/bisque category, there are HUGE jumps in shades from 9-13. 9 is like an NC40 while the next shade 10 is like NC45. I had to mix this with a yellower foundation i had to make it work, but I don't want to do that at this price point.

Overall, this product wears so beautifully but I can't stick with it because the color selection is too pink for my yellow undertones. Shame. :(

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

Amazing foundation, but too expensive for me personally for frequent use. I have oily skin, and I was shocked to see that my skin could tolerate this foundation. It gives a light to build able coverage and their entire line has a great color selection. It gives an incredibly natural, dewy, finish and lasts most of the day. Would be my holy grail for everyday wear if it wasn't for the steep price.

on 10/20/2016 3:21:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

I quite like this foundation as it has a medium type of coverage and a nice soft finish. I have not had issues with it and it has not become cakey or melted. I wear it throughout the day and sometimes over 10 hours and so far so good. I wish it came with SPF though but it still works fine if you wear a moisturizer with sun protection.
The swatch range is better than a lot of "luxury" branded foundations and tanned to darker or deeper skin tones can find a match.