Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk Foundation

Filtered by eye Color : Blue age: 25-29
Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk Foundation

on 2/2/2018 8:21:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Kinky, Medium

I bought this from Sephora in the travel size at $42 and I wish I could return it. It feels lovely texture wise, but almost immediately when I begin blending it on my face, it gets blotchy and coagulated. I thought it might be my primer (Hourglass Mineral Veil), so I used the foundation without any and had the same result. I honestly wanted this product to work out and trusted that it would. However, as the only foundation I brought with me on my vacation to Spain, it’s a huge regret that I will never make again.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

This has been my go-to foundation for years now, although admittedly that's probably a lot out of habit and the fact that it continues to receive so much media hype. Overall I'd say it's a good product, but there's definitely room for improvement, especially considering the price.

PROS:
- The best thing about this foundation is that it starts off as sheer coverage but is incredibly buildable. Keeping most of my skin under sheer coverage, where my natural coloring, freckles etc can still peek through, and only adding extra coverage where I need it, gives the illusion of having naturally great skin. I prefer a very natural 'no makeup' makeup look, so this is ideal for me. This is definitely not a foundation for those who want medium or heavy coverage over most of the face, or for creating a glamorous airbrushed instagram-style look. Use a brush or beauty blender to 'push' (not swipe) more product into the skin where you need more coverage.

- It's a dewy finish, which is great for dry skin.

- I find that it lasts a long time. I repurchase about every 6 months or so.

CONS:
- The worst thing about this foundation is the shade range. When I don't apply self-tanner even the lightest shade (2) is too dark and too yellow. In fact, I find that most of the shades run warm, even those that are supposedly neutral. Moreover, the entire system is confusing: rather than just having neutral, cool and warm shades, there are "neutral", "peachy", "rosy", "warm" "golden" and "red" ones, and for this reason you can't assume that a higher number is necessarily a darker shade than a smaller number, which is ridiculous. For example, 3.75 is actually lighter than 3.5. I would recommend anyone buying this product for the first time to take a look at the Nordstrom website because they do a pretty good run-down of the shades (http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/giorgio-armani-luminous-silk-foundation/2853110), so you have an idea of what ones you need to swatch on yourself before you get to the counter.

- I don't personally like the smell.

- The packaging is nothing special.

- No SPF.

My HG foundation! I only recently started splurging on high-end foundations, as I was never sure they were worth it (and I now get 30% off at sephora a few days each month and can afford them). This shade suits me perfectly and the foundation itself is HEAVENLY. I still use about three pumps (I've read in reviews that it's normal to use less), but the coverage is perfect for me and it really is silky. It's not super matte, IMO it's more dewy and on the sheer-to-mid coverage side. I don't have very sensitive skin and don't break out from makeup, so I can't say anything on that. The coverage is not heavy enough that I don't still need to coverup my under-eye circles or a red spot here or there (but I've never had a foundation that was so heavy I didn't need concealer!).

My shade is 4.75, I'm quite fair and neutral and it's a perfect fit!

I've always found it hard to find a foundation that likes my fairly dry skin and it seems to just love to eat my foundation up. I've used (and hated) Nars Sheer Glow and the closest thing I like is Bobbi Brown's Moisture Rich but it just won't last. BUT I adore this! it's silky yet not dewy enough to make you look shiny, it gives such a wonderful healthy glow. I've not tried it with a setting spray yet but it lasts pretty good all dat (even with hitting the gym!) and it's just a dream to put on. My fav combo is with Tooface hangover primer with a dash of Mac strobe cream as a highlighter and applied with the beauty blender. Love it so much I'll be using it for my wedding make up this year!

on 5/12/2015 10:14:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

You know that meme where Obi-Wan is screaming "You were the chosen one!"?

That's how this foundation is to me. I wanted to love it--it checked every box for me (no SPF, no tocopherol, light/medium coverage, yellow undertones), and I didn't love it. It was $62 back to a Sephora gift card on this one. As with all foundations, you may experience things differently than I did, but here's an insight to this product after wearing it for a month.

The product itself contains denatured alcohol, which for someone with dry and sensitive skin (despite Paula's Choice giving it a free pass), is a no-no. Not only does it dry my skin out further, it breaks down the product on my cheeks just a little bit faster. In two hours of wearing it, it went from luminous to greasy. It's possible because of the denatured alcohol it just made my skin slightly more "oily" to compensate, which reduced the wear time of the product, but that's speculation on my end.

I did experiment with this foundation several ways: with my HG primer, Laura Mercier Hydrating (wore out within 2 hours of having it on face), Beautyblender only, brush only, fingers only, with powder on top, and powder under. The foundation definitely wore off within 6 hours, longest being on for 4.

I did get my picture taken professionally while wearing this and it came out GORGEOUS. So, if nothing else, it looks really nice for photography.

I really wanted this to work for me, and it didn't. Hopefully, it works better for you.

Pros:

- Great for photography
- Variation in colors
- No SPF

Cons:

- Expensive
- Broke down quickly
- Not long lasting
- Contains denatured alcohol

on 3/2/2015 8:51:00 PM

I love this foundation, its is a splurge item, but it is gorgeous on the skin. Medium coverage and great wear! Looks wonderful in photos. So easy to blend! A++

on 11/28/2014 11:01:00 AM

I have been wearing this foundation for almost a year now. Here is what I have noticed about it:
-Color selection is very confusing, it took me a few visits to find the right shade. I have a light to medium skin tone and I have settled on 5.25 which has reddish undertones. I tried 5.5 and it looked fantastic upon application but oxidized to a very dark brown which looked awful. I also tried 5.75 which is too golden.
-Is not made for people with oily skin- only dry/normal otherwise it is too glossy because it is very moisturizing
-Medium/full coverage, lasts all day
-Will NOT cause breakouts (one of the few liquid foundations with no pore clogging ingredients)
-After a few hours it can oxidize leaving your skin with a slight yellow/red/brown undertone depending on the shade you buy
-Looks gorgeous in photographs

I have tried a zillion different foundations because I have sensitive skin and am prone to breakouts and I love this one. It would be perfect if there was no oxidation, but I have settled for now as the pros outweigh the cons.

on 5/9/2014 4:23:00 AM

I am so glad I tried a free sample of this product before paying a hefty $92 on it. This needs to be be relabelled as a tinted foundation, not a medium coverage foundation. I tried building it up with no success it seems it absorbed into my skin and dissappeared. I completely agree with previous posts on clinging to dry patches, I had a small break out on my chin that was made to look more accentuated and looked and felt really dry. I honestly cannot believe that this is a high end product and so expensive. If i had managed to build up the coverage I would go through a whole bottle in a month. I also noticed the women wearing it at the counter looked really orangy yellow in certain lighting aswell, which did put me off, but none the less I gave it a try and it is a big fail in my book!!!!!!

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

Reference point - I'm tan: NARS Barcelona, MAC NC 30-35 and #7 is perfect for me.

The packaging is a simple, pump bottle. It looks elegant on my vanity table. No issues with it.

While I am not madly 'in love' with the Armani Luminous Silk Foundation, it's definitely one of the best foundations I've tried. I have pretty nice skin to start with, no breakouts (except the rare pimple that one time a month), not dry or oily so I am not really looking for a foundation that while cover my skin issues.

The coverage is medium, however it's buildable. I apply my regular skin care, and allow my Laura Mercier Radiance Primer to set before applying the foundation. Applying this foundation is wonderful - it blends easily, it feels incredibly lightweight! I have applied it with my fingers, a MAC stippling brush, and the Armani foundation brush. What I love about this foundation is that it looks natural. It gives me beautiful, glowing skin without looking like I'm wearing foundation. Another plus is that this is probably one of the only foundations I've tried that looks beautiful in real life AND photographs well. Normally, I find that those heavy, high coverage foundations photograph beautifully but in real life you look like you caked make up on. :)

The look of this foundation is dewy. I adore dewy, glowing skin, and since I've never had issues with my skin being oily, Luminous Silk wears well for me. However, my friends that have oily skin or enjoy a more matte finish have always disliked the result of it. So that's something to consider before buying :)

The wear of it actually surprised me because of all the negative reviews of it. I haven't had any issues with it getting blotchy, fading, turning orange, sliding off, etc. And I do live in a hot, humid area. I do wear primer and lightly dust the Laura Mercier Illuminating loose powder on top.

My issues with it - it's expensive. Also, on those days when my skin does not look 100% (is a little red and blotchy, dull, I have a breakout, flakiness, etc) the foundation doesn't look so great. For me, it's a foundation that looks BEAUTIFUL when my skin looks great to start with.

I'd recommend it to someone with good skin to start with, that enjoys that dewy, glowy finish to foundation and is looking for something lightweight. Get a sample and see how it wears before you purchase. :)

on 4/9/2013 9:17:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

First I'll say I don't own one, but I let a make-up artist do me a make-up with this just yesterday. I am very pale so she used the shade #2 on me. Before foundation she used some serum for the dry areas and Armani BB cream to tone down the redness. She applied the foundation light-handedly, so the outcome was pretty natural looking, but nothing to wow! about. Matte and seemed to go well with my skin tone. When I arrived home a few hours later I noticed my face was yellow, ugh. Maybe it was the initial light or maybe it oxidized. Any way, pale skinned people, beware, and don't be too hasty buying it.