Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk Foundation

Filtered by eye Color : Blue
Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk Foundation

3.9

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

This has been my go-to foundation for years now, although admittedly that's probably a lot out of habit and the fact that it continues to receive so much media hype. Overall I'd say it's a good product, but there's definitely room for improvement, especially considering the price.

PROS:
- The best thing about this foundation is that it starts off as sheer coverage but is incredibly buildable. Keeping most of my skin under sheer coverage, where my natural coloring, freckles etc can still peek through, and only adding extra coverage where I need it, gives the illusion of having naturally great skin. I prefer a very natural 'no makeup' makeup look, so this is ideal for me. This is definitely not a foundation for those who want medium or heavy coverage over most of the face, or for creating a glamorous airbrushed instagram-style look. Use a brush or beauty blender to 'push' (not swipe) more product into the skin where you need more coverage.

- It's a dewy finish, which is great for dry skin.

- I find that it lasts a long time. I repurchase about every 6 months or so.

CONS:
- The worst thing about this foundation is the shade range. When I don't apply self-tanner even the lightest shade (2) is too dark and too yellow. In fact, I find that most of the shades run warm, even those that are supposedly neutral. Moreover, the entire system is confusing: rather than just having neutral, cool and warm shades, there are "neutral", "peachy", "rosy", "warm" "golden" and "red" ones, and for this reason you can't assume that a higher number is necessarily a darker shade than a smaller number, which is ridiculous. For example, 3.75 is actually lighter than 3.5. I would recommend anyone buying this product for the first time to take a look at the Nordstrom website because they do a pretty good run-down of the shades (http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/giorgio-armani-luminous-silk-foundation/2853110), so you have an idea of what ones you need to swatch on yourself before you get to the counter.

- I don't personally like the smell.

- The packaging is nothing special.

- No SPF.

on 7/30/2017 11:35:00 AM

I've worn this about six years and it is my absolute favorite. It gives me an awesome airbrushed glowy skin and never breaks me out. Actually this is one of the rarest foundations I can even wear without getting acne. (for real, I can not wear anything from Loreal,Maybelline;Dior,Chanel,MAC,Charlotte Tilbury etc.!) I would like to test new foundations all the time but can't because of their ingredients. So this is my HG. This gives medium coverage and lasts all day with a help of a Smashbox light primer.I do have to blot several times a day because I have combo skin,but it is not a problem for me.

This foundation was overwhelmingly disappointing. I had not stopped hearing the hype about this foundation and how full coverage, long lasting, photoshop dupe! and flawless it was, but in reality instead of only needing a pea sized amount I felt as though I need to use at least 2 long pumps of the foundation in order to cover 1 layer of my face. I also felt as though double layering my foundation was not an option unless I wanted my skin to go cakey. I was just disappointed in this although the price was about the average for foundations that I usually purchase the product I feel wasn't worth it :(

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I have been using this all week and its one of few foundations that still look really nice at the end of the day on my skin! I am shade NC15 to NC20 for reference and use shade 3 in the luminous silk foundation. I think this foundation is very similar to the TF born this way foundation but it is more luminous and sheer and very build-able which I love. The only downside of this foundation is the price. Here in Australia this foundation is $99! luckily I ordered it off Selfridges and its only $56. My new holey grail foundation.

I got a luxury samples (those 5 ml tubes which allow for a couple extensive tests) for some of the Armani foundations (also Power Fabric and Maestro - both not for my skin and don't even warrant a review) and I'm glad I did, because for foundations that get rave reviews I tend to lose any common sense and immediately get a full bottle or two of shades that I think might match me. So I got the shade 3 and it's neutral/yellow and it almost matched my pale skin nicely, the other light color in shade 2 looked too cool when swatched so I didn't bother with it. The application with a brush is easy, it's spreadable and doesn't set instantly so kudos for that. I could't see any harsh edges so it blends well. The coverage is somewhat sheer-medium, more layers make it medium, but then it looks chalky. That's where the pros end. It immediately sets into every pore, crease, line and wrinkle, especially under eyes. It's not long wearing either, it breaks up and continues to migrate into pores and lines all the time. I even went in with my finger to re-blend it a couple times, but after ½ h it's back. At the 4 hour mark it had completely broken up and not pretty to look at. The migration issue also makes skin look older. The next day I tried with a silica setting powder as I find those set foundations nicely without a powdery look. The powder did improve some one the migration, but it still settled in pores and lines and it still broke up at the 4 h mark. On third day I tried it on bare skin, but then it just went straight into pores and quickly broke up. To sum my experience up: it's not long-lasting at all, it does make my skin look older and rougher as the day goes on, it's a bit shiny and not in the good glowy kind of way. It's a hard pass for this foundation.

on 5/1/2017 8:45:00 PM

I'm the queen of drugstore products and so resisted buying this, but I had a photo shoot and knew that my usual foundation contained too much spf and would give some flashback. Finally caved and bought this and must say that it has a wonderful finish. I've already gotten compliments on my skin using it. It doesn't last longer than 4-6 hours but most don't on me anyway. The price is so high, but I'm using small amounts to try to make it last. A winner for sure.

on 3/14/2017 12:57:00 PM

I tried two testers from this foundation and all I can say that if you have an oily and acne prone skin like mine, this is not for you.

on 2/19/2017 6:07:00 AM

This foundation is the closest color match that I have ever found. I read that no. 6 is the best foundation for those of us with olive skin that can not find a color match, they were right. The problem is the alcohol, my eyes could not tolerate the life being sucked out of my skin. They were literally burning. I need something with hydration, glycerin or hyaluronic acid. I suppose if you have oily skin, this would work but even oily skin should be careful with the alcohol content.

on 2/10/2017 3:59:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Cool

I wanted to buy this for ages but I waited due to the price - I finally caved in & bought it. My previous foundation was from Loreal (so this one was a bit of a step up) & whenever I went out and had photos taken my face would always be white in the photo, even though it's a dark shade foundation. With Luminous Silk, it doesn't contain SPF so in photos, even with the flash, it brings out my colour. I also bought the micro fill loose powder to go with it.

My HG foundation! I only recently started splurging on high-end foundations, as I was never sure they were worth it (and I now get 30% off at sephora a few days each month and can afford them). This shade suits me perfectly and the foundation itself is HEAVENLY. I still use about three pumps (I've read in reviews that it's normal to use less), but the coverage is perfect for me and it really is silky. It's not super matte, IMO it's more dewy and on the sheer-to-mid coverage side. I don't have very sensitive skin and don't break out from makeup, so I can't say anything on that. The coverage is not heavy enough that I don't still need to coverup my under-eye circles or a red spot here or there (but I've never had a foundation that was so heavy I didn't need concealer!).

My shade is 4.75, I'm quite fair and neutral and it's a perfect fit!