Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk Foundation

Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk Foundation

3.8

on 6/10/2018 9:37:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I just HATE not liking this. There are so few foundations that really work well for mature skin and this is always been touted as one of them.

But not for me.

I wanted something that provides some even-ing out redness and that left a radiant finish. And I didn't want it to immediately sit in fine lines.

But it jumped to my lines and did nothing to even out my skin tone.

And that was trying it with multip!e primers but ALWAYS sunscreen underneath. These days, If a foundation doesn't work over a serious sunscreen, pass it by.

Plus with all the unhelpful shade numbers, and that thing at Sephora that types your skin color, my share still looked awful.

$64.00 - what a waste of $$$.

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

This is my favourite foundation, it's just too bad it's so expensive (well it IS Giorgi Armani..)
I find that this foundation works perfectly with my combination skin, oily t-zone and chin and dry flaky skin around my nose. I love the coverage of this, to me this is light and is PERFECT for me as I hate cakey full coverage foundations on my skin and find that they never work for me. Instead I find that this enhances my skin and I like how I can still see freckles under it. This foundation does not dry my skin out and makes my skin look really healthy. I pair this with the Laura Mercier translucent powder and find that it's perfect. I will continue to buy this even though of the price because I LOVE it.
I would imagine that this foundation wouldn't be very suitable for someone with very oily skin as this is not a long-wearing matte foundation. If you have oily skin I'd recommend setting it with a good setting powder.

on 5/13/2018 12:08:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I’ve been on the hunt for the perfect foundation and have gravitated towards the dewy or glow-from-within foundations. I’ve found a few of them that I really like. But even with my mature 60 plus year old skin, I find a more satin finish looks the best. Powder is the enemy for older skin but the glow foundations can almost tend to emphasize fine lines and texture (at least this is the case with me).

I have tried GA Luminous Silk a number of times but I don’t think I was matched correctly in the past as it always made my pink undertone skin look sallow. I happened to be at a Macy’s recently and was color matched to 4.75 but they didn’t have my color at the store. The SA actually called over to Nordstrom’s and hooked me up.

Boy having the right color match makes all the difference. The 4.75 actually looks almost peachy coming out of the pump instead of the pink undertone I thought would be me. However, this color on just brightens up my face. It provides a natural medium coverage with a blurring and satin finish. It’s not a glowy or dewy look but just a fresh and healthy but polished look. I find it holds up nicely through the day with just a powder to my nose midday as with all my foundations.

This is my go-to foundation for most days when I just need the best fresh and polished look.

on 4/10/2018 11:58:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

I have normal skin, fine lines and some freckles and this provides good coverage without looking heavy or cakey. It doesn’t settle into fine lines and has a smooth I’m an nc15-20 with neutral-warm undertones and I purchased no 4 which I reckon is nc20. I’ll attach a pic of swatches. It is very similar in colour to the Tarte Shape Tape hydrating foundation in fair-light neutral and the Bobbi Brown foundations in shade 2 Sand. Finish is not luminous or glowy - just a satin with no apparent oxidization. Doesn’t have any fragrance which is nice.

I quite like the coverage and finish but I don’t think this is worth AUD$100 a bottle. I would still repurchase though.

Ironically I bought a bottle of this years ago in the other style packaging. The GA sales assistant at David Jones wrongly matched me to a 5.5 (like what was she thinking?!) . Even considering it was too dark , I was an oil slick after a couple of hours and needed to blot frequently. I ended up giving it away. Back then I was a dry skin type so not sure if this attributed to the poor outcome but I’m glad I repurchased and gave it another go.

on 2/27/2018 11:01:00 PM

This is a nice satin foundation that is sheer to medium coverage. I think I’m a bit bitter because I paid $100 dollars and the counter lady sold me the wrong colour and you can’t take it back in Australia. I’d already opened and tried it. I told her I dont want to be super pale and hate strong pink tones as it brings out my redness. She sold me 3.75 after matching me and I didn’t realise in the shop that it’s exactly what I told her I didn’t want. So pink and rosy and too light. Pigmentation shows right through and looks even pinker.
Such a waste of money. However I think I’d really like it in the correct colour as a medium silky smooth foundation. Can’t comment on longevity as I don’t wear it on long days. I try to use it up on weekends only during the day.

on 2/2/2018 8:21:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Kinky, Medium

I bought this from Sephora in the travel size at $42 and I wish I could return it. It feels lovely texture wise, but almost immediately when I begin blending it on my face, it gets blotchy and coagulated. I thought it might be my primer (Hourglass Mineral Veil), so I used the foundation without any and had the same result. I honestly wanted this product to work out and trusted that it would. However, as the only foundation I brought with me on my vacation to Spain, it’s a huge regret that I will never make again.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I really, REALLY wanted to love this product. I have heard so many great things about it and I was excited about the name of the foundation, Luminious Silk, because of my dry skin. This foundation dries out my skin so much. I have to put on a thick moisturizer, a hydrating primer and 3 drops of beauty oil in it to make it work for my skin. If I do all of those steps, it does come out beautiful. But it's a LOT of effort to make it work for me, especially for $64. I will continue to use it, but sadly will not repurchase.

on 11/21/2017 10:36:00 AM

Holy. Grail. If you like a light-medium coverage, radiant foundation, and don't mind shelling out some cash, this is for you. Yes, it's crazy expensive so I can understand if you don't want to shell out for this. Def not for my full coverage queens, and not for anyone looking for matte coverage, but there is a reason this stuff is cult status. It basically just makes my skin look like a better version of itself. I am slightly oily in the t-zone and I just make sure to use a mattifying primer in those oily spots. I am constantly trying new foundations in search of the perfect ones, but this is the only one that has found a permanent place in my collection. I keep 3 different colors at all times and mix depending on the time of year. Just be careful of pairing this with a heavier concealer because I find it breaks easily and leaves a line of demarcation where it's blended. If you're looking for a budget dupe, I love the L'oreal True Match Lumi (which I use on clients to mimic this, without having to buy $60 foundation in numerous colors).

on 10/19/2017 1:50:00 PM

Oh I'm going to add to what so many have already said. I too had such high hopes for this Foundation. The foundation does what it says which is that it Glides on smoothly, buildable coverage with a luminous glow. My complexion with this makeup looked absolutely stunning. I was just so amazed, even in the Sun! But that is where my love affair ended. Like others, I had a reaction. My face started itching at the end of the day to the point where I ran home to take the makeup off. With everyone else's reviews on breakouts and reactions to this Foundation, there was no way I was going to try it for another day as my skin just cleared up from a bad hormonal Breakout.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

This has been my go-to foundation for years now, although admittedly that's probably a lot out of habit and the fact that it continues to receive so much media hype. Overall I'd say it's a good product, but there's definitely room for improvement, especially considering the price.

PROS:
- The best thing about this foundation is that it starts off as sheer coverage but is incredibly buildable. Keeping most of my skin under sheer coverage, where my natural coloring, freckles etc can still peek through, and only adding extra coverage where I need it, gives the illusion of having naturally great skin. I prefer a very natural 'no makeup' makeup look, so this is ideal for me. This is definitely not a foundation for those who want medium or heavy coverage over most of the face, or for creating a glamorous airbrushed instagram-style look. Use a brush or beauty blender to 'push' (not swipe) more product into the skin where you need more coverage.

- It's a dewy finish, which is great for dry skin.

- I find that it lasts a long time. I repurchase about every 6 months or so.

CONS:
- The worst thing about this foundation is the shade range. When I don't apply self-tanner even the lightest shade (2) is too dark and too yellow. In fact, I find that most of the shades run warm, even those that are supposedly neutral. Moreover, the entire system is confusing: rather than just having neutral, cool and warm shades, there are "neutral", "peachy", "rosy", "warm" "golden" and "red" ones, and for this reason you can't assume that a higher number is necessarily a darker shade than a smaller number, which is ridiculous. For example, 3.75 is actually lighter than 3.5. I would recommend anyone buying this product for the first time to take a look at the Nordstrom website because they do a pretty good run-down of the shades (http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/giorgio-armani-luminous-silk-foundation/2853110), so you have an idea of what ones you need to swatch on yourself before you get to the counter.

- I don't personally like the smell.

- The packaging is nothing special.

- No SPF.