Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk Foundation

Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk Foundation

3.8

on 4/10/2018 11:58:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

I have normal skin, fine lines and some freckles and this provides good coverage without looking heavy or cakey. It doesn’t settle into fine lines and has a smooth I’m an nc15-20 with neutral-warm undertones and I purchased no 4 which I reckon is nc20. I’ll attach a pic of swatches. It is very similar in colour to the Tarte Shape Tape hydrating foundation in fair-light neutral and the Bobbi Brown foundations in shade 2 Sand. Finish is not luminous or glowy - just a satin with no apparent oxidization. Doesn’t have any fragrance which is nice.

I quite like the coverage and finish but I don’t think this is worth AUD$100 a bottle. I would still repurchase though.

Ironically I bought a bottle of this years ago in the other style packaging. The GA sales assistant at David Jones wrongly matched me to a 5.5 (like what was she thinking?!) . Even considering it was too dark , I was an oil slick after a couple of hours and needed to blot frequently. I ended up giving it away. Back then I was a dry skin type so not sure if this attributed to the poor outcome but I’m glad I repurchased and gave it another go.

on 2/27/2018 11:01:00 PM

This is a nice satin foundation that is sheer to medium coverage. I think I’m a bit bitter because I paid $100 dollars and the counter lady sold me the wrong colour and you can’t take it back in Australia. I’d already opened and tried it. I told her I dont want to be super pale and hate strong pink tones as it brings out my redness. She sold me 3.75 after matching me and I didn’t realise in the shop that it’s exactly what I told her I didn’t want. So pink and rosy and too light. Pigmentation shows right through and looks even pinker.
Such a waste of money. However I think I’d really like it in the correct colour as a medium silky smooth foundation. Can’t comment on longevity as I don’t wear it on long days. I try to use it up on weekends only during the day.

on 2/2/2018 8:21:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Kinky, Medium

I bought this from Sephora in the travel size at $42 and I wish I could return it. It feels lovely texture wise, but almost immediately when I begin blending it on my face, it gets blotchy and coagulated. I thought it might be my primer (Hourglass Mineral Veil), so I used the foundation without any and had the same result. I honestly wanted this product to work out and trusted that it would. However, as the only foundation I brought with me on my vacation to Spain, it’s a huge regret that I will never make again.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I really, REALLY wanted to love this product. I have heard so many great things about it and I was excited about the name of the foundation, Luminious Silk, because of my dry skin. This foundation dries out my skin so much. I have to put on a thick moisturizer, a hydrating primer and 3 drops of beauty oil in it to make it work for my skin. If I do all of those steps, it does come out beautiful. But it's a LOT of effort to make it work for me, especially for $64. I will continue to use it, but sadly will not repurchase.

on 11/21/2017 10:36:00 AM

Holy. Grail. If you like a light-medium coverage, radiant foundation, and don't mind shelling out some cash, this is for you. Yes, it's crazy expensive so I can understand if you don't want to shell out for this. Def not for my full coverage queens, and not for anyone looking for matte coverage, but there is a reason this stuff is cult status. It basically just makes my skin look like a better version of itself. I am slightly oily in the t-zone and I just make sure to use a mattifying primer in those oily spots. I am constantly trying new foundations in search of the perfect ones, but this is the only one that has found a permanent place in my collection. I keep 3 different colors at all times and mix depending on the time of year. Just be careful of pairing this with a heavier concealer because I find it breaks easily and leaves a line of demarcation where it's blended. If you're looking for a budget dupe, I love the L'oreal True Match Lumi (which I use on clients to mimic this, without having to buy $60 foundation in numerous colors).

on 10/19/2017 1:50:00 PM

Oh I'm going to add to what so many have already said. I too had such high hopes for this Foundation. The foundation does what it says which is that it Glides on smoothly, buildable coverage with a luminous glow. My complexion with this makeup looked absolutely stunning. I was just so amazed, even in the Sun! But that is where my love affair ended. Like others, I had a reaction. My face started itching at the end of the day to the point where I ran home to take the makeup off. With everyone else's reviews on breakouts and reactions to this Foundation, there was no way I was going to try it for another day as my skin just cleared up from a bad hormonal Breakout.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

This has been my go-to foundation for years now, although admittedly that's probably a lot out of habit and the fact that it continues to receive so much media hype. Overall I'd say it's a good product, but there's definitely room for improvement, especially considering the price.

PROS:
- The best thing about this foundation is that it starts off as sheer coverage but is incredibly buildable. Keeping most of my skin under sheer coverage, where my natural coloring, freckles etc can still peek through, and only adding extra coverage where I need it, gives the illusion of having naturally great skin. I prefer a very natural 'no makeup' makeup look, so this is ideal for me. This is definitely not a foundation for those who want medium or heavy coverage over most of the face, or for creating a glamorous airbrushed instagram-style look. Use a brush or beauty blender to 'push' (not swipe) more product into the skin where you need more coverage.

- It's a dewy finish, which is great for dry skin.

- I find that it lasts a long time. I repurchase about every 6 months or so.

CONS:
- The worst thing about this foundation is the shade range. When I don't apply self-tanner even the lightest shade (2) is too dark and too yellow. In fact, I find that most of the shades run warm, even those that are supposedly neutral. Moreover, the entire system is confusing: rather than just having neutral, cool and warm shades, there are "neutral", "peachy", "rosy", "warm" "golden" and "red" ones, and for this reason you can't assume that a higher number is necessarily a darker shade than a smaller number, which is ridiculous. For example, 3.75 is actually lighter than 3.5. I would recommend anyone buying this product for the first time to take a look at the Nordstrom website because they do a pretty good run-down of the shades (http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/giorgio-armani-luminous-silk-foundation/2853110), so you have an idea of what ones you need to swatch on yourself before you get to the counter.

- I don't personally like the smell.

- The packaging is nothing special.

- No SPF.

on 7/30/2017 11:35:00 AM

I've worn this about six years and it is my absolute favorite. It gives me an awesome airbrushed glowy skin and never breaks me out. Actually this is one of the rarest foundations I can even wear without getting acne. (for real, I can not wear anything from Loreal,Maybelline;Dior,Chanel,MAC,Charlotte Tilbury etc.!) I would like to test new foundations all the time but can't because of their ingredients. So this is my HG. This gives medium coverage and lasts all day with a help of a Smashbox light primer.I do have to blot several times a day because I have combo skin,but it is not a problem for me.

This foundation was overwhelmingly disappointing. I had not stopped hearing the hype about this foundation and how full coverage, long lasting, photoshop dupe! and flawless it was, but in reality instead of only needing a pea sized amount I felt as though I need to use at least 2 long pumps of the foundation in order to cover 1 layer of my face. I also felt as though double layering my foundation was not an option unless I wanted my skin to go cakey. I was just disappointed in this although the price was about the average for foundations that I usually purchase the product I feel wasn't worth it :(

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I have been using this all week and its one of few foundations that still look really nice at the end of the day on my skin! I am shade NC15 to NC20 for reference and use shade 3 in the luminous silk foundation. I think this foundation is very similar to the TF born this way foundation but it is more luminous and sheer and very build-able which I love. The only downside of this foundation is the price. Here in Australia this foundation is $99! luckily I ordered it off Selfridges and its only $56. My new holey grail foundation.