Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk Foundation

Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk Foundation

4.1

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

This is the most expensive foundation I have ever purchased but I'm so glad that I did.

I'm NC15 and while shade #3 was too golden, shade #2 was just right. In fact, it's one of the best foundation matches I've ever gotten. That alone is worth its weight in gold! I'm pale but have warm undertones as well as pink cheeks from rosacea and a very pale neck so finding the right match is sometimes very hard.

I use a Beauty Blender to apply this and it makes my skin look amazing. My pores look smaller, the redness and my cheeks is much less noticeable, and my skin just looks airbrushed. The finish is similar to Dior Airflash but this is easier to work with and much less wasteful. Plus, this doesn't irritate my face the way the Dior does.

I managed to snag this when Dillard's had a foundation sale going on for $15 off. I liked it so much, that I ended up buying a backup bottle too. Since this has no sunscreen in it, you don't have to worry about it destabilizing your sunscreen or causing flashback in pictures.

My local counter was awesome about giving samples so I suggest you ask since it's such an investment. Also, I'm dry with extremely sensitive skin due to rosacea but am not really prone to breakouts.

on 1/11/2016 1:16:00 PM

Hair: Red, Curly, Fine

This is my "splurge" foundation, and as such I haven't had a new bottle in over 3 years. I decided to bite the bullet after getting some unexpected $ around the holiday, and I'll stretch it out as long as possible.
This formula was meant to emulate the finest of textiles "face fabric", as it is described. Indeed it does feel very silky, glides over the skin with ease and blends beautifully. One caveat: if you're oily? Lasting Silk will be your best bet; this will make your face one greasy mess. For older women like myself who are experiencing painful dryness this will be a great ( if pricey) panacea. That brings me to the description of my skin/ complexion for reference: dry, dry, dry! I'm talking heavy face balm and sweet almond oil to prep beforehand, and I can apply layers and layers before it feels supple again. I also suffer from rosacea; I had no idea what was going on though I have some medical background. It seemed as though I got sunburned and never recovered from it. My optometrist of all people diagnosed it as I have the dry eye that can accompany the facial inflammation.
So, I'm very self conscious of my facial redness and need something to cover AND hydrate without feeling as though I'm wearing a mask, and LSF works beautifully on both counts.
I couldn't recall what shade I used in the past- I think I bought mine at Saks previously and as it was years ago I haven't the foggiest. I decided to go with Sephora's shade match; I'm 127 in the MUFE HD stick ( also great for dry skin and on the go), NC25, C2 in MAC and SX06 in Kevyn Aucoin. I was matched with 4.25 "light skin with peachy undertones" ( you'll see from my profile photo I'm a natural redhead) and it is a pretty decent match. It looks scary at first ( VERY warm/ peach) but blends in and looks natural after it "sets".
I feel like I've written a book already, but this is my system of layering: moisturizer, primer ( I like Becca Backlight for the glow- at 43 I need all the glow I can get!) then foundation applied with either a BeautyBlender or Tarte foundation brush. I go over dark circles/ eye bags ( I have serious luggage) with concealer ( usually Hourglass or UD Naked Skin) THEN set with Sonia Kashuk glow powder ( great dupe for NARS LRP). I only get oily on my lids and nose, so I'll use blotting papers or touch up with powder and it will last all day.
So in closing, pros and cons:
Pros: great for dry and/or mature skin, comes in a pump dispenser, fair amount of shade options, feels light yet coverage is adequate.
Cons: price, availability ( my local Sephora doesn't carry it), glass bottle, definitely not ideal for anyone combination to oily or oily.

on 11/28/2015 12:53:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

Recently repurchased my second bottle. I used to use LM mineral foundation, cakey and no, no, no. The GALS bottles last a VERY long time using 1-2 pumps per application. I have normal to dry skin with a slightly oily t-zone, with red-pink undertones, and GALS 4.5 shade matches and evens my skin tone out beautifully. I do not use for full coverage, and some blemishes do show through a little, but I don't mind that. I use a small bit of concealer to cover up blemishes. I apply the foundation with my fingers or the GA blender brush, directly over my moisturizer. The GA blender brush does do something different for the application, but I'm not convinced it's better than using clean fingers. The foundation lasts all day even when I'm running around in the hospital, and it looks natural and beautiful. I bought the GALS compact pressed powder for touch-ups, but I rarely need to touch up! Sometimes I mix the foundation with GA fluid sheer for a 'dewy' look, and use other fluid sheers for liquid blush. Love love love. Huge shout-out to the sales manager at the GA counter at Bloomingdales on 59th st in NYC for his excellent, amazing teaching on how to apply.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

i had heard so much hype on this product i was very excited to try it. i had my color matched for me at the armani counter. the color right away seemed a tad orange for me but it was the best match they had. kind of disappointing for the price but my biggest problem is that is so drying on my skin. i do have very dry skin, and have to be very picky about my concealers. (I've been loving make up forever full cover concealer) so, back to their foundation: as soon as i apply it it starts to settle into tiny little flakes and pores that were invisible before i applied it. sort of the opposite of what it's supposed to do, right? i expect more from armani products. i see other reviewers had the same experience. and still others adore this. my take: if you have dry skin, mature skin, or large pores, skip this one.

on 1/21/2012 3:36:00 AM

Hair: Black, Curly, Other

LOVE! Blurs away minor imperfections amazingly for such a sheer-med. fndn. Looks natural, dewy but not too glowy, luminous:). Doesn`t melt/ slide/ fade away with or without a primer. This is what I wanted Diorskin Nude to be (awful, reviewied). Applies well with fingers or Mac 187. Buildable. #4 is a perfect match. HG.

on 4/25/2010 5:02:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

This is a nice foundation but for the all $$$, I do not think its extraordinary. To me...it's more like a tinted moisturizer. It made my skin oiler and had minimal staying power. I don't know...maybe I will try again in the future (probably not) but for now...not for me.

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

It took over 20 years to find he perfect foundation. This is it. Great coverage considering how much redness I have. However, enough skin shows through so it looks dewy and natural. The imperfections seem to disappear.
The 4.5 color is a perfect match to my skin - which is neither warm nor cool in undertone. Love, love, love, this.

on 4/16/2002 6:54:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

Giorgio Armani foundation is expensive but worth it. I don't care for the pump as it is difficult to control the amount that comes out of the bottle. I am going to switch this foundation to a completely different bottle. I love the sheerness and the texture of this foundation. I love that their is no scent. All in all I think this is an excellent product.