Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk Foundation

4.2

on 8/5/2017 9:12:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

Amazing! I have normal skin that sometimes is more on the dry side, I tend to get bunches of bright red spots from time to time that don't get covered well while the rest of my skin looks great. I love the dewy look, so usually everything looks flawless except this little bumpy area where red shines through slightly.
Not with this foundation! It makes me look so airbrushed. I'd say their shades are pretty accurate, I got mine right at the first try. It looks so flawless and luminous, I combine it with mac's studio finish concealer (cream in a jar) and mac strobe cream underneath. airbrushed, dewy, flawless combination!

The packaging is okay, it's nothing special but appropriate for the price point. The amount you get is normal.

Pros:
- really flawless, dewy finish
- beautiful shades
- covers well
- feels really lightweight, lasts fine

Cons:
- obvi, price.
- packaging is not special
- with a beautyblender I need multiple pumps to cover my face, definitely not "little goes a long way." (I need less with a harder sponge or brush.)

on 6/30/2017 7:39:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I'm on my second bottle and will buy a 3rd! I love the full coverage and radiant finish of this foundation. The shade 4.25 matches my skin perfectly. Very blendable. My skin is dry and acne prone and Luminous Silk doesn't cause breakout or drying. Liquid gold!

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

Lovely foundation, medium to full coverage yet feels lightweight on the skin.

on 11/30/2016 10:45:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Other

My favorite foundation. Works well with my hard to match skin tone. Easily bendable, smooth finish. Gives a natural finish - not too dewy, not too matte. Just right. I use this in 7.5 and use the real techniques blender.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

This is the most expensive foundation I have ever purchased but I'm so glad that I did.

I'm NC15 and while shade #3 was too golden, shade #2 was just right. In fact, it's one of the best foundation matches I've ever gotten. That alone is worth its weight in gold! I'm pale but have warm undertones as well as pink cheeks from rosacea and a very pale neck so finding the right match is sometimes very hard.

I use a Beauty Blender to apply this and it makes my skin look amazing. My pores look smaller, the redness and my cheeks is much less noticeable, and my skin just looks airbrushed. The finish is similar to Dior Airflash but this is easier to work with and much less wasteful. Plus, this doesn't irritate my face the way the Dior does.

I managed to snag this when Dillard's had a foundation sale going on for $15 off. I liked it so much, that I ended up buying a backup bottle too. Since this has no sunscreen in it, you don't have to worry about it destabilizing your sunscreen or causing flashback in pictures.

My local counter was awesome about giving samples so I suggest you ask since it's such an investment. Also, I'm dry with extremely sensitive skin due to rosacea but am not really prone to breakouts.

on 3/30/2016 3:41:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

I bought this product along with my Nars Sheer Glow. I use both of them. I use 6.0 in Luminous Silk for daily use and Vallauris in Sheer Glow when I am going out. They both work extremely well. My skin can flake but it doesn't flake with this when I apply it properly (with my face oil, cream and serum + sponge application). Plus it doesn't oxidize on my skin. Its almost impossible to choose between the two but I think I got the wrong shade for Luminous Silk.

on 1/11/2016 1:16:00 PM

Hair: Red, Curly, Fine

This is my "splurge" foundation, and as such I haven't had a new bottle in over 3 years. I decided to bite the bullet after getting some unexpected $ around the holiday, and I'll stretch it out as long as possible.
This formula was meant to emulate the finest of textiles "face fabric", as it is described. Indeed it does feel very silky, glides over the skin with ease and blends beautifully. One caveat: if you're oily? Lasting Silk will be your best bet; this will make your face one greasy mess. For older women like myself who are experiencing painful dryness this will be a great ( if pricey) panacea. That brings me to the description of my skin/ complexion for reference: dry, dry, dry! I'm talking heavy face balm and sweet almond oil to prep beforehand, and I can apply layers and layers before it feels supple again. I also suffer from rosacea; I had no idea what was going on though I have some medical background. It seemed as though I got sunburned and never recovered from it. My optometrist of all people diagnosed it as I have the dry eye that can accompany the facial inflammation.
So, I'm very self conscious of my facial redness and need something to cover AND hydrate without feeling as though I'm wearing a mask, and LSF works beautifully on both counts.
I couldn't recall what shade I used in the past- I think I bought mine at Saks previously and as it was years ago I haven't the foggiest. I decided to go with Sephora's shade match; I'm 127 in the MUFE HD stick ( also great for dry skin and on the go), NC25, C2 in MAC and SX06 in Kevyn Aucoin. I was matched with 4.25 "light skin with peachy undertones" ( you'll see from my profile photo I'm a natural redhead) and it is a pretty decent match. It looks scary at first ( VERY warm/ peach) but blends in and looks natural after it "sets".
I feel like I've written a book already, but this is my system of layering: moisturizer, primer ( I like Becca Backlight for the glow- at 43 I need all the glow I can get!) then foundation applied with either a BeautyBlender or Tarte foundation brush. I go over dark circles/ eye bags ( I have serious luggage) with concealer ( usually Hourglass or UD Naked Skin) THEN set with Sonia Kashuk glow powder ( great dupe for NARS LRP). I only get oily on my lids and nose, so I'll use blotting papers or touch up with powder and it will last all day.
So in closing, pros and cons:
Pros: great for dry and/or mature skin, comes in a pump dispenser, fair amount of shade options, feels light yet coverage is adequate.
Cons: price, availability ( my local Sephora doesn't carry it), glass bottle, definitely not ideal for anyone combination to oily or oily.

on 11/28/2015 12:53:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

Recently repurchased my second bottle. I used to use LM mineral foundation, cakey and no, no, no. The GALS bottles last a VERY long time using 1-2 pumps per application. I have normal to dry skin with a slightly oily t-zone, with red-pink undertones, and GALS 4.5 shade matches and evens my skin tone out beautifully. I do not use for full coverage, and some blemishes do show through a little, but I don't mind that. I use a small bit of concealer to cover up blemishes. I apply the foundation with my fingers or the GA blender brush, directly over my moisturizer. The GA blender brush does do something different for the application, but I'm not convinced it's better than using clean fingers. The foundation lasts all day even when I'm running around in the hospital, and it looks natural and beautiful. I bought the GALS compact pressed powder for touch-ups, but I rarely need to touch up! Sometimes I mix the foundation with GA fluid sheer for a 'dewy' look, and use other fluid sheers for liquid blush. Love love love. Huge shout-out to the sales manager at the GA counter at Bloomingdales on 59th st in NYC for his excellent, amazing teaching on how to apply.

on 11/19/2015 1:40:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

Edit: I've bumped up my rating for 3 stars to 4. I played around with this foundation and it's very build able. 3-4 pumps gave me a medium coverage that was enough for me while not looking cakey. The only thing keeping this from a solid 5/5 is the fact that it does still *sometimes* highlight dryness and texture if I don't put in a hefty skin routine beforehand.

I am so conflicted.

Some days I put this on and I'm like "damn, you look like a glowing princess". Then other days I put this on and it highlights all of my dry/uneven patches (even though I'm a combo/oily skin type??). Also it seems to sit on top of my face yet goes into my pores at the same time during these bad days. It's so odd.

Before I put this on I know I have to exfoliate my skin and really put in work to my skin routine. Through my experience I've found satin/dewy foundations require the most work to look nice. Matte foundations I rarely have these problems. Is it in the formula for these foundations to be flaw enhancing? I've tried so many dewy/satin foundations by now that I've lost count, and none of them wow'd me. This one was the best, however.

Pros: It's hydrating in a sense that it will make your skin look dewy and glowy. They have a quite a good colour range, I am very pale and they have a colour that suits me quite well, it's only slightly yellow for me. The packaging is super sleek, pretty to look at, and easy to pump out. I put it on top of my makeup desk to look like a fancy bish.

Cons: It is NOT hydrating in the sense of dry patches, and uneven textures on the face (acne particularly, or any other texture). Also it's very light coverage. It's not as light as tinted moisturizers, but I'd say it's a pretty standard light coverage foundation. Your flaws will show through. I use about 2-3 pumps and I find it doesn't cover up my acne discolouration scars and I have to go in with more concealer than I like to. If you have acne though, this will not suffice. You need concealer with this if that's the case, maybe even two layers of concealer when it's a bad skin day. To be honest because it's so expensive I've been stingy on using more than 2-3 pumps but I will most likely have to in order to make up for the light coverage as it just doesn't work for my particular skin situation.

If you don't have a large amount of skin issues like I do you will most likely think this is about a 4/5. The staying power isn't the best but it's not the worst either. If you don't want to look like you're wearing foundation (beach, work, school) this is a good choice. I most likely would repurchase and just put the extra work into my routine due to the fact that all of us gals need a light coverage foundation for some occasion and this is the best I have come across. I will probably continue my search, however.

on 7/7/2015 4:23:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

On the good side, the #4 was a good color match to my LLL/MMM yellow undertone skin. It applies very nicely with my F80 kabuki and is of a thin consistency which I prefer.
But I won't be purchasing it again for a few reasons:
For such a high end product I noted it has Parabens in it.
The coverage was less than I require, but can be layered.
It was a splurge for me, but I found it is not one bit better than my L'Oreal True Match Liquid Founation in W3; except that is has a pump.