Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk Foundation

Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk Foundation

3.8

on 6/10/2018 9:37:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I just HATE not liking this. There are so few foundations that really work well for mature skin and this is always been touted as one of them.

But not for me.

I wanted something that provides some even-ing out redness and that left a radiant finish. And I didn't want it to immediately sit in fine lines.

But it jumped to my lines and did nothing to even out my skin tone.

And that was trying it with multip!e primers but ALWAYS sunscreen underneath. These days, If a foundation doesn't work over a serious sunscreen, pass it by.

Plus with all the unhelpful shade numbers, and that thing at Sephora that types your skin color, my share still looked awful.

$64.00 - what a waste of $$$.

on 5/17/2018 2:50:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Neutral

First off, this is not for oily skin. This would be perfect for normal to dry skin. I have oily skin BUT I use this foundation after I do a face mask that dries my skin out. It is soooo beautiful and makes my face look like I’m glowing! On my oily skin days though, it does not last at all, it will last about 3 to 4 hours then get super oily and break down. A primer definitely helps though! So all in all I would recommend it to normal-dry skin, it’s a great foundation and it doesnt look cakey. It’s expensive but worth it if you have the right skin type for it

on 3/30/2018 5:17:00 PM

This is my favorite foundation! I have dry-combination skin and rosacea, and therefore a lot of redness to cover up + bumps and flakiness. After I started using Soolantra the texture of my skin has improved immensely, and I also use a lot of skincare to tackle dehydration which has helped give me a better base.

This foundation goes on so smoothly, gives you a lot of time to work it in before it sets and gives a beautiful finish. I work it in in several thin layers and spend a lot of time blending and pressing it in with a beauty blender, which I find gives the most skinlike finish. I go over my cheeks, chin and center of my forehead until I have the coverage that I need and it never goes cakey. You can build it up to medium+ coverage. The t-zone gets oily throughout the day with this one, but that is not a big concern for me with all my other skin problems, and I find that you can blot and powder through the day without ruining the look.

I also like to mix this with Armani maestro glow on drier days which gives a dewier finish, and I mix in a drop of Face atelier´s white foundation during winter time. I´m in the shade 2 which is fair neutral, but I find that it leans a bit yellow. Might try to mix with the shade 4.75 to get a cooler and bit darker shade for the summer months.

All in all, I find that this works well for my dehydrated textured skin and gives a great amount of coverage if you work with it a bit.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

An absolute no-no on combination to dry skin. I bought this after reading all the raving reviews and I regretted it immediately. Upon putting it on (with a brush), it clung to my dry patches and after just one hour I looked like an oily mess, despite not having oily skin. I really wanted to like it and tried many other ways of applying it and different products underneath, but nothing worked. One of the worst foundations I have ever tried. Get a sample before committing!

on 2/8/2018 4:08:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I got this on sale when GA was having 20% off during Christmas, it's not a horrible foundation but i'm surprised that so many recommend this for dry, mature (of which i have both) skin. I got the color in 4.5, which is described as "light, neutral" but it definitely leaned warm on me (i'm around NC15, but have mostly neutral undertones). It does have a satin finish, and is lightweight with medium coverage. The heavy glass bottle looks and feels luxurious for sure. Unfortunately, right away it emphasized and accentuated every pore on my face (mostly the area where my nose and cheeks meet), as well as fine lines and dry patches on my skin. I tried using it with both my fingers, and a damp beauty blender. It was slightly better with the beauty blender, but not by much. I also used on both primed and unprimed skin. But it just wasn't a good foundation for my skin; perhaps if you're younger and have combination/oily skin, it would work on you.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I really, REALLY wanted to love this product. I have heard so many great things about it and I was excited about the name of the foundation, Luminious Silk, because of my dry skin. This foundation dries out my skin so much. I have to put on a thick moisturizer, a hydrating primer and 3 drops of beauty oil in it to make it work for my skin. If I do all of those steps, it does come out beautiful. But it's a LOT of effort to make it work for me, especially for $64. I will continue to use it, but sadly will not repurchase.

on 1/22/2018 11:57:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

How do I love thee, let me count the ways:
- The best thing I find about Luminous Silk is the silky (duh), slippery texture that glides over the skin effortlessly. I have to blend most other foundations very carefully over small areas of my face to avoid cakey spots. With this one, I got completely lazy - I can slap a pump's worth into the middle of my face, slather it around, and it gives me a completely even, perfectly blended coverage without drying up and setting too fast and clinging to skin patches. For a light all-over application, I get the best results when I use my fingers and simply spread it around just like a moisturizer. (Some reviews mentioned that they hated LS when using it with the Beauty Blender, and I hated the BB when using it with this foundation, so it looks like they're not compatible, if that's your preferred application method. Not a problem for me, but LS is rather light and thin, so sponges and brushes soak it up quite easily.)

- It can be built up from about medium-light to medium-heavy coverage without looking heavy. On the days when the above is not enough, I like to take a bit more and apply it with a tapping motion wherever I need it, either with my fingers or a brush. This covers any redness, capillaries, faded scars and light spots. It won't cover anything too dark/red, but I'd rather use a concealer than a heavy foundation for that.

- The finish, despite the name, is rather natural with slight dewiness. For me (normal skin that's sometimes prone to dryness and can get oily towards the end of the day), it's perfect - anything more matte looks dry and patchy on me, and anything richer sits on top of the skin, and I just end up using too much powder to get rid of the tacky feel. This may not be the best foundation for those who have very dry skin, though - I tried using it after a (bad) experiment with a salicylic acid toner, and it did emphasize the skin flakes.

- It stays on quite well for 8-12 hours. It does get shiny in the middle of the day and fade a bit towards the evening, of course, but it never breaks down in patches (Chanel's Vitalumiere Aqua!) or otherwise looks offensive.
All in all, like any foundation, it won't suit every single skin type, but it's a fantastic in-between option - not too heavy, not too light, not too matte and not too dewy. I've been using this for about 10 years now, and every time I "cheated" on it with a different foundation, I regretted it.

on 11/21/2017 10:36:00 AM

Holy. Grail. If you like a light-medium coverage, radiant foundation, and don't mind shelling out some cash, this is for you. Yes, it's crazy expensive so I can understand if you don't want to shell out for this. Def not for my full coverage queens, and not for anyone looking for matte coverage, but there is a reason this stuff is cult status. It basically just makes my skin look like a better version of itself. I am slightly oily in the t-zone and I just make sure to use a mattifying primer in those oily spots. I am constantly trying new foundations in search of the perfect ones, but this is the only one that has found a permanent place in my collection. I keep 3 different colors at all times and mix depending on the time of year. Just be careful of pairing this with a heavier concealer because I find it breaks easily and leaves a line of demarcation where it's blended. If you're looking for a budget dupe, I love the L'oreal True Match Lumi (which I use on clients to mimic this, without having to buy $60 foundation in numerous colors).

I had been meaning to try this foundation for a while. After putting it on my skin, even as I was applying it, I immediately could tell a difference in the way my skin looked. Like many others have noted, it gives you a "second skin" appearance...almost like my skin had been air brushed. It was very flawless looking. I like that the packaging comes with a pump and the bottle itself is nice. Yes it's pricey but it is worth it. Luckily I did not experience any breaks outs, rashes or any issues that others had noted. This was totally worth the hype for me.

on 10/26/2017 1:28:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

I didn't want to like this. I've been using drugstore foundation for the last 3 years but received a sample of this to see if the hype was worth it. My primary issue is PIH/PIE and mild textural problems caused by cystic acne on my cheeks. I don't have many issues in my t-zone or neck, so I don't apply a full-face of foundation and conceal only where needed. The finish of this is like a second skin, and provided great coverage even with a small dab of product. I like it far, far more than my Revlon Colorstay, which is too cool and gives me a flatter, matte finish - I will likely grit my teeth and hand over my credit card to purchase this foundation once my Colorstay runs out!

Pros:
Decent match for my undertones (yellow-olive)
Fluid, thin texture that's very easy to apply
Medium, buildable coverage
Decent staying power on my oily skin
Didn't irritate my sensitive skin, and I used this a few days post-peel

Cons:
Makes me extremely shiny, especially in my t-zone
Texture is slightly sticky and doesn't play well with my oilier areas