Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk Foundation

Filtered by hair type : Straight
Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk Foundation

3.7

on 10/17/2017 2:13:00 PM

I had such high hopes for this foundation after reading/watching hundreds of reviews but... this was one of my biggest disappointments in makeup purchases in general. Leaving aside the fact that it's so pricey, I could never imagine my skin reacting to any makeup product the way it did with this foundation. Although I have fairly normal/combination skin, which is not sensitive to any makeup and doesn't break out, this foundation caused so much problems for my skin:( although it promises luminous skin look and supposedly works great on most skin types, it looked so dry in places, clinging to my skin, mostly forehead, looking patchy and uneven. I'm neutral undertone and I found 4.5 shade to be too yellow, in general hard to get the right shade for fair neutral skin tone. I would be happy with the coverage it gives as I never look for full coverage in foundation, however there's something in its formula that's absolutely not working on my skin. I started feeling really itchy almost immediately after applying it and by the end of the day, my face was covered in rash, which I never ever had from any other makeup product. I decided to give it another go after my skin completely cleared out, prepping as normally would with any other foundation and unfortunately got the same reaction. Oh well, going back to my holy grail Shiseido Synchro Skin Lasting Foundation.

on 9/12/2017 12:57:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Sadly this foundation is oxidizing on my oily skin.... however I did go get myself a shade lighter- the 4.0.
When doing the "Wayne Goss translucent powder trick", and a couple of touch ups, this foundation lasts all day (12 hours +).
And I love that this foundation causes no flashback... just wore it at my cousins wedding- and I looked flawless in photos :)
I've always been using "flat-matte", longwear foundations like Estee Lauder double wear, and Macs pro longwear, so I didn't really believe in the hype around this foundation, now I do- it is truly amazing :)

The only thing keeping me from making this my everyday foundation is the price-tag :(

on 8/19/2017 12:51:00 PM

Another hyped up product that didn't wow me. It's a decent light coverage foundation with a good shade range for light to medium skin tones. But for the really hefty price tag it's not worth it. It has quite light coverage with a dewy finish that doesn't last very long on my normal to combo skin and I get shiny super quickly even tho I rarely have that issue with other foundations. I can't really understand why it's a staple for so many people including makeup artists. But I can imagine if you have super flawless skin and just want to a light veil of foundation it works.

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

Good foundation, not one of my favorites but would purchase again! Texture is super lightweight, didn't exactly like it's coverage. I have oily skin, and had to powder my face once or twice a day.

I got a luxury samples (those 5 ml tubes which allow for a couple extensive tests) for some of the Armani foundations (also Power Fabric and Maestro - both not for my skin and don't even warrant a review) and I'm glad I did, because for foundations that get rave reviews I tend to lose any common sense and immediately get a full bottle or two of shades that I think might match me. So I got the shade 3 and it's neutral/yellow and it almost matched my pale skin nicely, the other light color in shade 2 looked too cool when swatched so I didn't bother with it. The application with a brush is easy, it's spreadable and doesn't set instantly so kudos for that. I could't see any harsh edges so it blends well. The coverage is somewhat sheer-medium, more layers make it medium, but then it looks chalky. That's where the pros end. It immediately sets into every pore, crease, line and wrinkle, especially under eyes. It's not long wearing either, it breaks up and continues to migrate into pores and lines all the time. I even went in with my finger to re-blend it a couple times, but after ½ h it's back. At the 4 hour mark it had completely broken up and not pretty to look at. The migration issue also makes skin look older. The next day I tried with a silica setting powder as I find those set foundations nicely without a powdery look. The powder did improve some one the migration, but it still settled in pores and lines and it still broke up at the 4 h mark. On third day I tried it on bare skin, but then it just went straight into pores and quickly broke up. To sum my experience up: it's not long-lasting at all, it does make my skin look older and rougher as the day goes on, it's a bit shiny and not in the good glowy kind of way. It's a hard pass for this foundation.

on 5/25/2017 7:04:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

I am a NC20 in MAC and I wear 4 in Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk. My other matches are NARS Deauville, Bourjois 52 Vanille, Too Faced Born This Way Vanilla, and MUFE Ultra HD Y245. 3.5 is a good match in the summer for when I'm darker, or around NC25.

The packaging on this foundation is lovely and screams elegance and high class. It features a substantial cap with a heavy frosted bottle. The pump distributes the perfect amount of product and never gets messy.

Honestly, this is not a bad foundation but I find it to be extremely dupeable and nothing special. This foundation is very similar to L'Oreal's Dream Lumi, which is not so surprising since both brands are owned by L'Oreal. I find that both of those foundations look and wear the exact same on the skin. This was my go-to foundation in my senior year of high school and first year of university. It provides a flawless satin finish that is slightly dewy, but it does not scream shiny at all; it gives me about medium coverage that is buildable. When first applied, it looks very natural and polished. Setting it with a powder is a must.

This foundation is gorgeous, but the way it breaks down is unflattering. Around the 6 hour mark, visible signs of the foundation wearing off begins to show, breaking down in patches all over my face and pooling around my nostrils. When it starts to break down, it really starts to show skin imperfections such as bumps, pores and dry flakes.

Overall it's okay, not terrible but not excellent either. There is a drugstore dupe of this available already and there are better foundations at this price point. If you're looking for similar foundations, I would recommend Bourjois Healthy Mix Serum for all skin types, Guerlain Lingerie de Peau for normal to combo/dry, and Too Faced Born This Way for dry skin.

I don't understand the hype over this foundation. It makes my well-cared-for, moisturized, exfoliated skin look like the Sahara desert while simultaneously turning my normal-to-moderately-oily T-zone into an oil slick. Amazing.

It emphasizes every fine line, dry patch, and pore on my face. And I cannot, for the life of me, find a shade that matches me (and I am what I consider a fairly common fair/light Caucasion skin tone). It very much looks like makeup no matter how sheerly I have attempted to apply it...I have also tried it over multiple different primers with no significant change in performance. Not once, not twice, but THREE times I have given this a try and I have ended up returning the product to Sephora each time (thank goodness for their great return policy). I'm done with this. It's great that it works out as HG status for so many, but GA has somehow gone very far afield from what works for my skin.

on 4/23/2017 10:08:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Luminous Silk is literally a do-it-all foundation for me: throw a little on in a hurry and you’ll have a natural-looking, slightly glowy base, or build up the coverage for an evening out and it’ll look amazing in photos. It’s one of the foundations I tend to take with me when I go away because I know it’ll cooperate with my skin no matter what condition it’s in.

I'd say it has medium coverage but can be built up to almost full and sets to a natural looking finish. I often hear people describing this foundation as ‘matte’ but I have to say I disagree; there is a definite radiance to it. The day I wore this again for the first time in a little while, my dad asked me if I’d gotten a new foundation because my 'face was glowing’ - when even your dad notices how good your skin is looking, you know the foundation is a keeper! Luminous Silk feels relatively hydrating on my skin and doesn’t accentuate dry patches. It also dries/sets quite fast so be sure to blend quickly and not apply too much at a time.

I would probably recommend this foundation for drier/more normal skin types as the longevity is adequate, but not superb. I have no qualms wearing it on a night out but will always wear a primer underneath and set it with powder to increase lasting power. I actually often mix it with NARS Sheer Glow to increase coverage and longevity for events. It’s not really the best choice for super hot/humid conditions as it can get shiny, but works fine in milder weather, so I would probably shy away from it if you have an oilier skin type. I'm somewhere between an NC 20-25 and wear 4 when I’m at my natural skin tone and 6 works perfectly when I’m tanned.

on 3/18/2017 9:30:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

This is by far the best foundation I have used, alongside with Urban Decay Naked Skin (and the discontinued Bourjois 123 Foudnation).

I have it in shades 3.0, which is my transitional shade (nc25) and 2.0, which is my winter shade (between nc15 and nc20).

The shade 2.0 is a perfect neutral shade, slightly yellow (not a beige).

The foundation works very Well on My dehydrated oily skin.

I prep my skin with a light moisturizer (Caudalie sorbet, the light pink tube). I apply the foundation with a moist sponge (Real Techniques works better than Beauty Blender - quite a mistery, really). Using a buffing brush gives a similar outcome, but the sponge is definitely a better option. That way, the pores are better covered.

When I apply the foundation, my skin looks really perfect and even.

On top I put Hourglass compact powder, but it doesn't make a difference - whichever powder is on top, it looks natural and soft (Mac loose setting powder, Guerlain Perls in Medium).

The foundation lasts really long. I tested it on all weather conditions, and there is only a difference with my oiliness but despite, the foundation sits well. I get 8 hours without retouching. By 12 hours, the foundation slightly sinks into pores, but still looks good and wearable.

I highly recommend both of the foundations!

The match is on point, the foundation is longwearing, doesn't dry my skin out and doesn't make my skin oilier than usual. It's the best I came across.

Mac Prolongwear nc20 - slightly too orange
Estée Lauder DW 1w2 - slightly too orange
Burberry Velvet Ochre - slightly darker
Lancôme 24 Idole Beige Albatre - slightly darker and too orange (match with first two above)

Urban Decay 2.0 Naked
Bourjois 123 foundation 52
Giorgio Armani Luminous 2.0

I have combination skin and unfortunately this dried out my eye area really badly. The coverage is so nice and made my skin look smooth and somewhat skin like upon first application, but as the day went on my under eye area became visibly dry with lines forming. After wearing for a few days, my eyelid area became flakey. I tried applying extra eye cream before but I still experienced dryness. I also mixed it with my IT Cosmetics CC cream (which actually mixed very nicely) but this didn't help either. Other than that, the other areas of my face looked great and the makeup stayed in place without oxidizing in my oilier areas.