Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk Foundation

Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk Foundation

3.7

on 1/12/2018 8:26:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

Always wears off very quickly, better to not touch the face at all wearing this. My normal skin gets super oily after an hour with this foundation. I have to fix my makeup more than 3 times as skin gets oily and shiny. Also in my opinion it has narrow shade range.
The only thing that keeps me using this, that this foundation doesn't clog my pores, feels very light on my face and has a quite good consist.
Won't buy it again. For such price I was expecting higher quality.

on 12/6/2017 4:04:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

So I finally bit the bullet and picked this up during the Sephora VIB sale (reg. $70 CAD). I have dry skin, I like more natural looking foundations (i.e. not full coverage), and based off of all the youtube love, I thought this would be ideal for my skin. Result: meh.

I debated returning it, but I debated too long and missed the window lol. I purchased shade 4.0 which is a tad light for my NC25 skin tone, but since it has light coverage, it's easy to work with it in spite of that. Also the shade numbers are really odd. 3.5 is actually darker than 4.0? So keep that in mind if you're purchasing online.

There is a scent to this, but I didn't notice any strong fragrance so I'm not bothered at all by it. The coverage is quite light but buildable, so it's customize-able I suppose in that sense. I haven't tried it in flash photography or video (which is where this is supposed to be amazing), but i'm not a youtuber and I don't walk around with papparazzi following me so I'm not sure if investing in this is worth the odd time that I end up taking photos (assuming it looks amazing as everyone else says). It's not incredibly long wearing but it's not a big deal for me because i always use a setting spray.

It doesn't look bad, but it doesn't look $70 foundation good.

I would not repurchase and for the price, I would not recommend.

on 11/19/2017 8:16:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I went 10 years without buying liquid foundation. I have light cool toned skin, but not 001 cool toned. Foundations pull yellow very easily on my skin. Most foundation lines only formulate the palest cool tone as an actual pink based foundation, and beyond that just get progressively warmer/yellower. I don't care if yellow counteracts to "neutralize" my pink undertones - I want my face to match my neck, and my makeup to look like my natural skin. Luminous silk 4.75 is the first foundation I've ever found that matches my skin perfectly. It's light to medium buildable coverage, no scent, blends out well with a beauty blender. Very happy.

on 10/17/2017 2:13:00 PM

I had such high hopes for this foundation after reading/watching hundreds of reviews but... this was one of my biggest disappointments in makeup purchases in general. Leaving aside the fact that it's so pricey, I could never imagine my skin reacting to any makeup product the way it did with this foundation. Although I have fairly normal/combination skin, which is not sensitive to any makeup and doesn't break out, this foundation caused so much problems for my skin:( although it promises luminous skin look and supposedly works great on most skin types, it looked so dry in places, clinging to my skin, mostly forehead, looking patchy and uneven. I'm neutral undertone and I found 4.5 shade to be too yellow, in general hard to get the right shade for fair neutral skin tone. I would be happy with the coverage it gives as I never look for full coverage in foundation, however there's something in its formula that's absolutely not working on my skin. I started feeling really itchy almost immediately after applying it and by the end of the day, my face was covered in rash, which I never ever had from any other makeup product. I decided to give it another go after my skin completely cleared out, prepping as normally would with any other foundation and unfortunately got the same reaction. Oh well, going back to my holy grail Shiseido Synchro Skin Lasting Foundation.

on 9/12/2017 12:57:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Sadly this foundation is oxidizing on my oily skin.... however I did go get myself a shade lighter- the 4.0.
When doing the "Wayne Goss translucent powder trick", and a couple of touch ups, this foundation lasts all day (12 hours +).
And I love that this foundation causes no flashback... just wore it at my cousins wedding- and I looked flawless in photos :)
I've always been using "flat-matte", longwear foundations like Estee Lauder double wear, and Macs pro longwear, so I didn't really believe in the hype around this foundation, now I do- it is truly amazing :)

The only thing keeping me from making this my everyday foundation is the price-tag :(

on 8/19/2017 12:51:00 PM

Another hyped up product that didn't wow me. It's a decent light coverage foundation with a good shade range for light to medium skin tones. But for the really hefty price tag it's not worth it. It has quite light coverage with a dewy finish that doesn't last very long on my normal to combo skin and I get shiny super quickly even tho I rarely have that issue with other foundations. I can't really understand why it's a staple for so many people including makeup artists. But I can imagine if you have super flawless skin and just want to a light veil of foundation it works.

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Neutral

Beautiful. Just beautiful.

Not a lot of coverage but it is so easy to apply and just smooths onto skin. It somewhat reduces the appearance of uneven texture on skin like craters or what not and from afar it looks like your skin is glowing, and by that I don't mean dewy or whatever. I mean as if you had a bunch of vegetables and eight glasses of water and actually got enough sleep kind of glow. It doesn't look like your wearing foundation at all, even my overly critical sister couldn't tell when I asked her how my foundation looked.

Only downsides is the price, and the fact it's not available at my local Sephora, so I have to make a special trip to the one that's three hours away if I need a new bottle.

Also this somewhat reminds me of the Nars all day luminous in regards to the initial finish when you apply it and it's funny cause that one is my all time HG favorite.

I wish they offered this in a smaller bottle with a nicer price tag so it wouldn't be so hard to fork out the money for this. I have to save up for this for weeks before I can get it it's that expensive here in Canada. (I'm still a student too).

The longevity seems pretty good but I'm going to try it out in the heat tomorrow hopefully.

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

Good foundation, not one of my favorites but would purchase again! Texture is super lightweight, didn't exactly like it's coverage. I have oily skin, and had to powder my face once or twice a day.

I got a luxury samples (those 5 ml tubes which allow for a couple extensive tests) for some of the Armani foundations (also Power Fabric and Maestro - both not for my skin and don't even warrant a review) and I'm glad I did, because for foundations that get rave reviews I tend to lose any common sense and immediately get a full bottle or two of shades that I think might match me. So I got the shade 3 and it's neutral/yellow and it almost matched my pale skin nicely, the other light color in shade 2 looked too cool when swatched so I didn't bother with it. The application with a brush is easy, it's spreadable and doesn't set instantly so kudos for that. I could't see any harsh edges so it blends well. The coverage is somewhat sheer-medium, more layers make it medium, but then it looks chalky. That's where the pros end. It immediately sets into every pore, crease, line and wrinkle, especially under eyes. It's not long wearing either, it breaks up and continues to migrate into pores and lines all the time. I even went in with my finger to re-blend it a couple times, but after ½ h it's back. At the 4 hour mark it had completely broken up and not pretty to look at. The migration issue also makes skin look older. The next day I tried with a silica setting powder as I find those set foundations nicely without a powdery look. The powder did improve some one the migration, but it still settled in pores and lines and it still broke up at the 4 h mark. On third day I tried it on bare skin, but then it just went straight into pores and quickly broke up. To sum my experience up: it's not long-lasting at all, it does make my skin look older and rougher as the day goes on, it's a bit shiny and not in the good glowy kind of way. It's a hard pass for this foundation.

on 5/25/2017 7:04:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

I am a NC20 in MAC and I wear 4 in Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk. My other matches are NARS Deauville, Bourjois 52 Vanille, Too Faced Born This Way Vanilla, and MUFE Ultra HD Y245. 3.5 is a good match in the summer for when I'm darker, or around NC25.

The packaging on this foundation is lovely and screams elegance and high class. It features a substantial cap with a heavy frosted bottle. The pump distributes the perfect amount of product and never gets messy.

Honestly, this is not a bad foundation but I find it to be extremely dupeable and nothing special. This foundation is very similar to L'Oreal's Dream Lumi, which is not so surprising since both brands are owned by L'Oreal. I find that both of those foundations look and wear the exact same on the skin. This was my go-to foundation in my senior year of high school and first year of university. It provides a flawless satin finish that is slightly dewy, but it does not scream shiny at all; it gives me about medium coverage that is buildable. When first applied, it looks very natural and polished. Setting it with a powder is a must.

This foundation is gorgeous, but the way it breaks down is unflattering. Around the 6 hour mark, visible signs of the foundation wearing off begins to show, breaking down in patches all over my face and pooling around my nostrils. When it starts to break down, it really starts to show skin imperfections such as bumps, pores and dry flakes.

Overall it's okay, not terrible but not excellent either. There is a drugstore dupe of this available already and there are better foundations at this price point. If you're looking for similar foundations, I would recommend Bourjois Healthy Mix Serum for all skin types, Guerlain Lingerie de Peau for normal to combo/dry, and Too Faced Born This Way for dry skin.