Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk Foundation

Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk Foundation

3.9

on 1/22/2018 11:57:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

How do I love thee, let me count the ways:
- The best thing I find about Luminous Silk is the silky (duh), slippery texture that glides over the skin effortlessly. I have to blend most other foundations very carefully over small areas of my face to avoid cakey spots. With this one, I got completely lazy - I can slap a pump's worth into the middle of my face, slather it around, and it gives me a completely even, perfectly blended coverage without drying up and setting too fast and clinging to skin patches. For a light all-over application, I get the best results when I use my fingers and simply spread it around just like a moisturizer. (Some reviews mentioned that they hated LS when using it with the Beauty Blender, and I hated the BB when using it with this foundation, so it looks like they're not compatible, if that's your preferred application method. Not a problem for me, but LS is rather light and thin, so sponges and brushes soak it up quite easily.)

- It can be built up from about medium-light to medium-heavy coverage without looking heavy. On the days when the above is not enough, I like to take a bit more and apply it with a tapping motion wherever I need it, either with my fingers or a brush. This covers any redness, capillaries, faded scars and light spots. It won't cover anything too dark/red, but I'd rather use a concealer than a heavy foundation for that.

- The finish, despite the name, is rather natural with slight dewiness. For me (normal skin that's sometimes prone to dryness and can get oily towards the end of the day), it's perfect - anything more matte looks dry and patchy on me, and anything richer sits on top of the skin, and I just end up using too much powder to get rid of the tacky feel. This may not be the best foundation for those who have very dry skin, though - I tried using it after a (bad) experiment with a salicylic acid toner, and it did emphasize the skin flakes.

- It stays on quite well for 8-12 hours. It does get shiny in the middle of the day and fade a bit towards the evening, of course, but it never breaks down in patches (Chanel's Vitalumiere Aqua!) or otherwise looks offensive.
All in all, like any foundation, it won't suit every single skin type, but it's a fantastic in-between option - not too heavy, not too light, not too matte and not too dewy. I've been using this for about 10 years now, and every time I "cheated" on it with a different foundation, I regretted it.

I hated this so much.Its such a strange consistency, watery and greasy at the same time!I found that it looked streaky whether I applied it with a brush,sponge or fingers and set in a really uneven way.I prefer a light to medium coverage and found myself having to use 4 or 5 pumps to cover my face.I gave it to a friend who also hated it.Really disappointed, it was so hyped and SO expensive.Extra disappointing because I really liked Maestro.Absolutely terrible.

Skin: Normal, Olive, Warm

This is the first foundation that I have used that actually makes my skin look like skin. It photographs beautifully and just enhances your skin rather than make it look like you're wearing a mask.

I have dry skin with hyperpigmentation and this foundation makes my skin look dewy and not greasy. I can't give it a 5 start rating because some of my hyperpigmentation peaks through even after colour correcting and two coats of foundation.

Even though I have to use two different colours of this foundation to get my exact match, I still find it worth it to use this foundation. For shade reference, I am closest to NC42 at MAC, although MAC tends to run a bit yellow/orange on me. For luminous silk, I use 2 pumps 7.5 and a partial pump of 9 and it's an EXACT match for my skin colour. Lots of trial and error to get the perfect match to my neutral golden undertone.

I apply this on top of the Becca backlight primer and use a very damp Beauty Blender to apply. I set it with the Chanel loose powder in Gold (shade 3).

on 12/10/2016 7:04:00 PM

Being a Rimmel 24 hour stay foundation girl, I thought I'd splash out on an expensive foundation for my birthday!

I must admit, I'd always leaned towards a thicker foundation in the vain hopes it would stay on longer and give my blotchy skin an even finish. So using Armani Luminous Silk was a big leap for me (and my bank balance).

I was matched by the kindly gentleman on the Armani counter as a 5 (and a 5.5 once I've fake tanned). The shades match perfectly as I'm naturally pale with pinkish undertones.

The foundation itself smells beautiful and does feel silky because it has the consistency of a lotion rather than a cream. It's so easy to apply and a little goes a long way, which I feel is a nice new grown up mantra for me - rather than "slap it on, the more the better"!

The coverage, for me, is excellent but can be quite sheer around problem areas, like around my nose, and the classic "I have a 1 year old" eye bags but it's buildable. I feel it gives me a glow, but by no means does it give me a "dewy" look, I just feel a little more enhanced (for want of a better phrase) when I wear it.

It's a beautiful light foundation which doesn't give you that cakey feeling once you've applied. In other foundations I've used, I've found I could feel the residue on my hands if I touched my face. Or residue on my phone (!!) I work in an office and spend large parts of my day on the phone, it's nice to see, while using Armani that I haven't left half my face on the phone receiver. It also definitely lasts longer than previous foundations I've worn, as my dear fiancée has commented that I'm still wearing make up once I've finished a day at work!

My only issue with this foundation (after bottle number 3 and having the same problem with all) is that the pump gives up too quickly! So you find yourself thinking you're running out while you've still got over half the bottle left. That aside though, I'd definitely recommend purchasing this product!!

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

I really do not understand the hype surrounding this product, it is ok at best. It barely offers any coverage at all, it is sooooo light. Even when I tried building it up I could still see my skin underneath. I felt like I had nothing on. I understand that some people like the natural look which is fine, to each their own but If I'm shelling out $64 plus tax I expect more from the product. I'm not stingy at all with money when it comes to a quality product either but 64 is pricey for a foundation that really should be sold as a tinted moisturizer. Overall, It's not terrible but I would not recommend if you are looking for flawless coverage.

on 8/2/2016 4:10:00 PM

If you've done your research, you will be familiar with the hype surrounding this product. There certainly is a reason for the buzz. This is a superb foundation. For many, the hunt for the perfect base stops at the Armani counter. I can understand that.

The texture is rather loose and runny, but blends like a dream into a medium finish. I use a brush as this is my preferred method, but I'm sure it would be a delight with a sponge like the Beauty Blender. Immediately after application, you can see how well it cooperates with the skin underneath; that's what really sets it apart from other foundations. A lot of effort has been made to produce a finish that kind of "follows" all kind of lightning instead of being revealing in unflattering settings. One huge problem I have with foundations in general is that you kind of have to choose if you want a radiant, oil spill, gloss kind of finish or a matte, flat, joker-like mask. "Normal" is not really easy to come by. But GA Luminous Silk knows that real skin is unique, equally radiant and matte, and emulates this perfectly. Even on top of my greasy, pilling sunscreen it managed to look great, while my Nars Velvet Matte fell apart like a birthday cake thrown into a wall.

The shades are numbered, I kind of don't like that. Number 5 that I use is radically different from the 5.5 for example, making matching a bit of a hassle. Take your time; it's well worth it. On a final note - If you are interested in the difference between the Luminous Silk and the Lasting Silk, check out the wonderful Karima McKimmie and her blog, shamelessfripperies.com, she also have a great YouTube channel that is a must see for MUA members around the world.

on 7/17/2016 12:14:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Best foundation I've used.
To be fair I haven't tried many foundations because I have decent skin (normal leaning towards dry, and doesn't require heavy coverage) so I tend to stick to bb cream with beneficial properties when I do wear make up, but all the ones I've tried for foundation (Dior Forever, Estee Lauder double wear, Clarins, YSL serum, Too Faced born this way) didn't look too different to my skin without foundation.
When I tried this, I wasn't expecting a miracle, but after application I was so surprised to see that it actually made my skin look better! It made my skin look like a porcelain doll.
It lasted pretty well too, considering I didn't wear powder over it, and it didn't dry out my skin at the end of the day like some of the other foundations did (I'm looking at you, EL double wear).
The only con is the price ($90+ in David Jones), but I think it's worth the investment considering how in-often I wear makeup. Although I have a feeling I'll be wearing make up more often with this beauty in the collection! Love it!

Edit:
It's been about a year since I opened this foundation and I've noticed that the content seemed to have oxidised in the bottle somehow, it has become way too dark for me. I still love the finish, texture and longevity of the foundation but for $99 a bottle it's too dear for me to sparingly and then discard due to oxidisation.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I could see the layer of foundation sitting on my flaky top layer of skin. Horrible. I rated this product a 1. Then recently, I revisited this product in shade #6 and found it to be amazing! Either they changed the formulation or my skin changed, but this shade now works beautifully. Set with loose powder, it gives me a flawless look.

on 3/30/2016 3:41:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

I bought this product along with my Nars Sheer Glow. I use both of them. I use 6.0 in Luminous Silk for daily use and Vallauris in Sheer Glow when I am going out. They both work extremely well. My skin can flake but it doesn't flake with this when I apply it properly (with my face oil, cream and serum + sponge application). Plus it doesn't oxidize on my skin. Its almost impossible to choose between the two but I think I got the wrong shade for Luminous Silk.

I don't get the hype around this foundation! It is only OK for me..... Evens out skin tone but it doesn't make me GLOW which is what I am really looking for.