Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk Foundation

3.8

on 7/23/2018 9:15:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

If it’s any testament to how much I love this foundation, I’ve repurchased 5x. I wear 5.75 and am about nc25-30. This is my hg foundation. It gives me the most velvety skin like texture while making my skin glow and providing medium coverage. I apply with my fingers then go back in with a damp BB to blend. I use nars soft matte concealer with this and the end result is flawless natural looking skin. I have dry skin and this doesn’t emphasize flakiness. It’s important to use setting powder as it does transfer. I find it works best without a primer. It just melts into my skin and makes my less than perfect acne scarred skin look flawless. I will add that I only use this when I don’t have a lot of texture to my skin (i.e. cystic acne) as I find it emphasizes that. But when my skin is in good condition this is my absolute favorite foundation.

Skin: Dry, Medium Brown, Not Sure

I really don't understand all the hype over this foundation. It has very little pigmentation and I didn't find it to be very buildable to increase the coverage. I'll stick with my Nars Sheer Glow, thanks.

Beautiful foundation. It has a satin finish and the coverage is medium. You can build it up a bit. I apply it with a damp beauty sponge and set with a bit of MAC mineralize skin finish natural. I have dry skin with a moderate but stubborn en acne and it does not cover it all, but it does not accentuate the bumps under the skin either. Im something around NC20, quote pale and yellowish/greenish (damn that doesn’t sound good, ha) and the shade 4.0 matched me like a dream! Ist quite expensive though. That’s why had to deduct one star.

on 3/20/2017 8:52:00 AM

I really wanted it to work for me after reading so many good reviews and watching videos. But unfortunately it didn't meet my expectations.
My skin is dry and sensitive but I don't have obvious acne or scar problems. All I wanted to achieve was a really "luminious and silky" look. My skin ended up looking quite matte ! Not luminious at all. And although the coverege is medium, my skin didn't look like healthy and flawless.
Lancome teint miracle was the foundation I been using till then, I liked it but I wanted a bit more coverage that's why I tried armani. Teint miracle never irritates my sensitive skin and although armani is noncomodogenic as well, it caused some itchiness on forehead(due to my dryness maybe) but I made sure to apply a base of lots of moisturiser and primer ( which I got from Armani as well ). Nars all day luminious was also not very luminious but at least looked healthier on me. Maybe that word luminious means something different than I think.
Over all, I could't get that glowy healthy finish.
I tried this foundation for like 1-2 weeks and maybe in summer days when skin is already good, I can make use of the bottle I bought. But for now, I am considering to go back to Lancome teint miracle or try Bobbi brown intensive skin serum foundation which is said to be nice.

on 1/20/2017 8:49:00 PM

Holy Grail and im very hard to please. This is a beautiful foundation, my only regret is not finding it sooner.

Its a medium coverage but can be built up to full or sheared out. It glides on like a dream, it has lots of playtime so it doesnt dry too quickly, its so easy to blend, doesn't sit in pores or fine lines, I can put it under my eyes and dont have to worry about creasing, it covers all my redness as I get dry rosacea on my cheeks, it doesn't cling to dry patches or look cakey. Its luminous but slightly matt at the same time if that makes sense. Its also very neutral toned.

I usually wear Double wear foundation and I do really love it but I find that it clings to my dry skin if I dont prime extremly well and even then it can look cakey and sometimes it settles into lines and can show up dry patches so ive been on the hunt for something similar but more suited to my skin type and Luminous silk is definitely it. I have a feeling it might not suit very oily skin types so id say get a sample if youre unsure, it seems like its more suited to normal/dry skin.

Its expensive but worth it in my opinion and anyway its only 5 euro more than Double wear so I dont feel im spending much more than I usually would anyway.

Edit to add, I took a bad reaction to a new cleanser recently, I rarely get spots but this new cleanser left me with a rash on my forehead, painful cystic spots on my temples and chin and little red spots every where else, it also left my skin very dry, Luminous Silk was a god send for me, it covered all my redness and evened my skin tone with two pumps without causing any further irritation. I love this foundation!!

I've always found it hard to find a foundation that likes my fairly dry skin and it seems to just love to eat my foundation up. I've used (and hated) Nars Sheer Glow and the closest thing I like is Bobbi Brown's Moisture Rich but it just won't last. BUT I adore this! it's silky yet not dewy enough to make you look shiny, it gives such a wonderful healthy glow. I've not tried it with a setting spray yet but it lasts pretty good all dat (even with hitting the gym!) and it's just a dream to put on. My fav combo is with Tooface hangover primer with a dash of Mac strobe cream as a highlighter and applied with the beauty blender. Love it so much I'll be using it for my wedding make up this year!

on 4/17/2016 1:55:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

Quite a disappointment. This was neither sheer nor luminous on me; I'd call it a satin finish and medium-to-full coverage with one thin layer. My skin is quite dry and I find that it clings to dry patches and emphasizes any roughness or texture issues I might be having. I don't have much to cover up but I do struggle with texture issues and evenness so this is pretty much exactly the wrong foundation for me. The worst part is that it settles into tiny wrinkles that I didn't even know I had, even over a moisturizer and primer, and goes patchy throughout the day without one since my skin sucks up all the moisture in the product and leaves chunks o' pigment behind (ew). I look ten years older with it on unless I thin it out beyond all recognition, and, as it's rather thick, it's not really worth the effort. Or the price. Staying power is intense, though -- it doesn't come off when I really want it to (which is most of the time).

I bought the full-size thinking that all the other dry-skinned reviewers on the Internet couldn't be wrong, but after trying it several different ways I just can't make it work. Frankly, I think it's better for normal-to-slightly-oily skin than dry.

A couple lippies for color -- the match is perfect for me. I love Armani's color ranges in general. I also gave it another lippie because it led me to Maestro, which I think looks great on me with the right moisturizer and primer underneath. If you have skin that gets a little bit oily and are having a hard time finding non-matte foundations with solid coverage that stay, Luminous Silk might be for you. Also, it's dense enough to where you can go concealer-less, which bears mentioning even though that's not the kind of product I was getting. It looks lovely in photos when I've used it on other people, even though I end up looking embalmed when I wear it under a flash. C'est la vie, I guess.

All in all, meh. There are better foundations out there for me.

on 2/15/2016 6:36:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

I'm on then fence with this one
And I do like it when mixed with another (mufe hd)
But the color isn't my favourite and it's my closest match
I feel it can almost oxidise and the wear isn't as long as others
But this is a more dewy foundation
And I do love it I just don't live it when first applied and after about 6 hrs
But there is a four hr window where I'm in love with this foundation
Love the texture , easy to blend and the packaging is just heavenly
It's a very high end foundation and I don't pay full retail so the price wasn't killer but I wouldn't pay full price for this
I am yet tho to find that foundation that makes me fall in love head over heals and that I can't wait to wear and I had hoped this was it , but alas I will keep searching

on 5/12/2015 10:14:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

You know that meme where Obi-Wan is screaming "You were the chosen one!"?

That's how this foundation is to me. I wanted to love it--it checked every box for me (no SPF, no tocopherol, light/medium coverage, yellow undertones), and I didn't love it. It was $62 back to a Sephora gift card on this one. As with all foundations, you may experience things differently than I did, but here's an insight to this product after wearing it for a month.

The product itself contains denatured alcohol, which for someone with dry and sensitive skin (despite Paula's Choice giving it a free pass), is a no-no. Not only does it dry my skin out further, it breaks down the product on my cheeks just a little bit faster. In two hours of wearing it, it went from luminous to greasy. It's possible because of the denatured alcohol it just made my skin slightly more "oily" to compensate, which reduced the wear time of the product, but that's speculation on my end.

I did experiment with this foundation several ways: with my HG primer, Laura Mercier Hydrating (wore out within 2 hours of having it on face), Beautyblender only, brush only, fingers only, with powder on top, and powder under. The foundation definitely wore off within 6 hours, longest being on for 4.

I did get my picture taken professionally while wearing this and it came out GORGEOUS. So, if nothing else, it looks really nice for photography.

I really wanted this to work for me, and it didn't. Hopefully, it works better for you.

Pros:

- Great for photography
- Variation in colors
- No SPF

Cons:

- Expensive
- Broke down quickly
- Not long lasting
- Contains denatured alcohol

on 12/21/2014 9:09:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Other, Medium

I am normally an NC30. I have this in 5 and the Matte version of it in 5 and 5.5. I absolutely love all of them. I just ran out of luminous and will be repurchasing. I love that it gives a natural but full coverage look. Everytime I wear it I always get compliments and people always ask which foundation I am using. The pricing is a little high but worth every cent.