Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk Foundation

Filtered by skin type : Very Dry age: 25-29
Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk Foundation

3.2

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

This is consistently a fantastic foundation.
This is skin like satin finish with high medium coverage and it doesn’t sink into fine lines at all (if you are having issues with that avoid putting primer on the fine lines, the more product you put there the worst you’ll notice them.)
3.75 is a good match, a little more pink than ususally but looos fine blended in to my NW10 skin. (Could be just a little lighter but it works)
Shade 2 works too but is a tinge too yellow for me
This gives a beautiful natural lightly powdered skin look.
This is used by makeup artist world wide and for good reason, it’s unlike any other.
Perfect on my dry skin and patches

This is not Dewey and it doesn’t claim to be, if you read the box or description before buying it tells you it has a satin finish so I’m not sure why some reviews take points off for that..
It’s called luminous silk and if you think of silk you can see why in the finish, the dimension it has and how it reacts to lighting... it really is like silk.

This is in my top faves and I have tried over 1k foundations.
This is currently number one! The rest are
La Mer the soft longwear foundation
Hourglass vanish
Tom Ford traceless perfecting foundation
L’Oréal infallible pro glow (similar to luminous silk really but has lots less dimension)
Huda beauty foundation

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

This has been my go-to foundation for years now, although admittedly that's probably a lot out of habit and the fact that it continues to receive so much media hype. Overall I'd say it's a good product, but there's definitely room for improvement, especially considering the price.

PROS:
- The best thing about this foundation is that it starts off as sheer coverage but is incredibly buildable. Keeping most of my skin under sheer coverage, where my natural coloring, freckles etc can still peek through, and only adding extra coverage where I need it, gives the illusion of having naturally great skin. I prefer a very natural 'no makeup' makeup look, so this is ideal for me. This is definitely not a foundation for those who want medium or heavy coverage over most of the face, or for creating a glamorous airbrushed instagram-style look. Use a brush or beauty blender to 'push' (not swipe) more product into the skin where you need more coverage.

- It's a dewy finish, which is great for dry skin.

- I find that it lasts a long time. I repurchase about every 6 months or so.

CONS:
- The worst thing about this foundation is the shade range. When I don't apply self-tanner even the lightest shade (2) is too dark and too yellow. In fact, I find that most of the shades run warm, even those that are supposedly neutral. Moreover, the entire system is confusing: rather than just having neutral, cool and warm shades, there are "neutral", "peachy", "rosy", "warm" "golden" and "red" ones, and for this reason you can't assume that a higher number is necessarily a darker shade than a smaller number, which is ridiculous. For example, 3.75 is actually lighter than 3.5. I would recommend anyone buying this product for the first time to take a look at the Nordstrom website because they do a pretty good run-down of the shades (http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/giorgio-armani-luminous-silk-foundation/2853110), so you have an idea of what ones you need to swatch on yourself before you get to the counter.

- I don't personally like the smell.

- The packaging is nothing special.

- No SPF.

on 4/30/2015 8:45:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

Bought shade #4 after being matched to it based on wearing Make-Up Forever HD foundation shade 117 (Marble). After a year of telling myself it is too expensive, I bit the bullet and bought it during Sephora's VIB sale. (still too expensive, but I digress)

A quick swatch on the hand looked to be very similar.

I applied this to my face and loved the consistency! I gave a dewy (but not overly!) look with light to medium coverage. A little seemed to go a long way. Everything was great until...

It oxidized! After about 20 mins it looked pinky orange on my skin. It was so bad of a match that I had to wash it off - I was too embarrassed to leave the house with my face that different to my neck and chest.

:( the search for a dewy foundation continues!

Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure

gross. i hated it. it didnt settle right at all, and makeup is what i do. if i as a working artist threw this crap in the trash cuz i couldnt blend it, how can you expect the adverage woman to spend that kinda money and work this as an everyday makeup. another product over hyped.

on 8/28/2011 7:44:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

I've tried this on three times in the store but never caved in and bought it thankfully. The first time left me decidedly unimpressed. I gave Luminous Silk Foundation another try on 2 seperate occasions, thinking I must have been mistaken due to all the rave reviews but nope, still unimpressed.

My main problem is this is sooo sheer, more like a tinted moisturiser than a foundation really, even though the MUA described it as medium/high coverage. I have good-ish skin; I only rarely break out and have no lines, scars or large pores just some minor uneven pigmentation and the odd patch of mild eczema. My flaws were still *clearly* visible through this foundation and as if that wasn't enough LSF highlighted some flakey patches that I didn't even realize I had and made them look terrible. When I remarked on these problems, the MUA quickly informed me that LSF is buildable (and tried to push the Giorgio Armani skincare line at me LOL). However I found LSF too thin and watery to work with for layering and besides I had no desire to highlight my dry patches further.

Second point is the texture. You might think that something named "luminous" and "silk" would feel rich, luxurious and well, silky. If you thought that, you'd be wrong. Instead LSF feels simultaneously watery yet super drying in a way you wouldn't have thought possible.

Also I find Giorgio doesn't do too many shades for neutral or cool-toned skin. I look at their counter and see a sea of yellow and more yellow which seems to be getting increasingly common. And the one fair, cool shade they did have had too much white in it for me.

If you have well hydrated, yellow toned skin, hate thicker foundation and are after something barely-there you might want to look into this. However if you're after a richer, more flawless looking finish or a foundation with some "oomph" then skip this one.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

I like this foundation a lot. But to tell you the truth, I actually mix this foundation and Guerlain's foundation together to create the best foundation for my skin. They both have components that compliment my skin. Separate they are about a 4/5 stars but together they are 5/5.

Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure

Well I didnt' give this product a 5 cause I absolutely hate the price! I believe that if you're gonna spend some serious dough, it may as well be on foundation! And this is THE foundation to get. It makes your skin look soooo glowing..but not that shiny glow, but rather a soft glow. I have this in #5 and it's perfect for my fair skin /w olive undertones. I apply it with my MAC 187 brush and it's a must! Works beautifully and only takes a couple of minutes. Such a great foundation! No wonder so many celebrity makeup artists turn to it every day!

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

HG foundation for me! I am 02 and mix with Fluid Sheer 02, and I get compliments on my skin literally all the time. Little do they know: It's not my skin, it is this foundation! It goes on sheer but is buildable for the desired level of coverage; it does tend to fade somewhat by nighttime, but I don't mind b/c it's during the day that I really need it to stay put, and it does. I have had many many problems in the past finding a foundation that does not inexplicably turn orange on me after an hour, but this one has a very true color that never turns or goes weird on me. It's not cheap by any means, but to me it's worth it for such a great look. Great stuff.

Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure

This is just NO GOOD for my super-dry skin! I have mild rosacea and when I first apply this it's fine but 15 minutes later it has caked on me like crazy! Not for those with very very dry skin. I gave to my mother and she LOVES it!!

on 5/19/2002 6:28:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure

I just got this in a swap... and I love it. I expected it to make me look really glowy, but it doesn't. It gives more of a very natural finish. It is a very light, sheer finish, but it really makes my skin look nice and polished, and it feels very weightless. Let it sit for a few minutes, then it sort of settles in. When I first used it, I didn't like it, but in a few minutes it looked lovely! I hate the pump, so difficult to control, and it can splatter a bit! One pump is more than I need. I pump some in an old Sephora sample jar and use what's in there, so I don't waste. An Armani beauty counter is opening up near me soon, I am so excited!