Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk Foundation

Filtered by skin tone : Fair age: 25-29
Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk Foundation

3.8

I love that this product comes in fair shades for me and it does leave a nice satin finish and quite nice medium coverage for a thinner consistency fdtn. I will say I was a touch disappointed given the hype and PRICE that it wasn't more smooth/invisible/skin-like - when I consider the Bourjois Healthy Mix gel serum is awesome and costs about half and I get the result I'm looking for, why spend so much on this product right...?

on 3/30/2018 5:17:00 PM

This is my favorite foundation! I have dry-combination skin and rosacea, and therefore a lot of redness to cover up + bumps and flakiness. After I started using Soolantra the texture of my skin has improved immensely, and I also use a lot of skincare to tackle dehydration which has helped give me a better base.

This foundation goes on so smoothly, gives you a lot of time to work it in before it sets and gives a beautiful finish. I work it in in several thin layers and spend a lot of time blending and pressing it in with a beauty blender, which I find gives the most skinlike finish. I go over my cheeks, chin and center of my forehead until I have the coverage that I need and it never goes cakey. You can build it up to medium+ coverage. The t-zone gets oily throughout the day with this one, but that is not a big concern for me with all my other skin problems, and I find that you can blot and powder through the day without ruining the look.

I also like to mix this with Armani maestro glow on drier days which gives a dewier finish, and I mix in a drop of Face atelier´s white foundation during winter time. I´m in the shade 2 which is fair neutral, but I find that it leans a bit yellow. Might try to mix with the shade 4.75 to get a cooler and bit darker shade for the summer months.

All in all, I find that this works well for my dehydrated textured skin and gives a great amount of coverage if you work with it a bit.

Beautiful foundation. It has a satin finish and the coverage is medium. You can build it up a bit. I apply it with a damp beauty sponge and set with a bit of MAC mineralize skin finish natural. I have dry skin with a moderate but stubborn en acne and it does not cover it all, but it does not accentuate the bumps under the skin either. Im something around NC20, quote pale and yellowish/greenish (damn that doesn’t sound good, ha) and the shade 4.0 matched me like a dream! Ist quite expensive though. That’s why had to deduct one star.

on 1/22/2018 11:57:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

How do I love thee, let me count the ways:
- The best thing I find about Luminous Silk is the silky (duh), slippery texture that glides over the skin effortlessly. I have to blend most other foundations very carefully over small areas of my face to avoid cakey spots. With this one, I got completely lazy - I can slap a pump's worth into the middle of my face, slather it around, and it gives me a completely even, perfectly blended coverage without drying up and setting too fast and clinging to skin patches. For a light all-over application, I get the best results when I use my fingers and simply spread it around just like a moisturizer. (Some reviews mentioned that they hated LS when using it with the Beauty Blender, and I hated the BB when using it with this foundation, so it looks like they're not compatible, if that's your preferred application method. Not a problem for me, but LS is rather light and thin, so sponges and brushes soak it up quite easily.)

- It can be built up from about medium-light to medium-heavy coverage without looking heavy. On the days when the above is not enough, I like to take a bit more and apply it with a tapping motion wherever I need it, either with my fingers or a brush. This covers any redness, capillaries, faded scars and light spots. It won't cover anything too dark/red, but I'd rather use a concealer than a heavy foundation for that.

- The finish, despite the name, is rather natural with slight dewiness. For me (normal skin that's sometimes prone to dryness and can get oily towards the end of the day), it's perfect - anything more matte looks dry and patchy on me, and anything richer sits on top of the skin, and I just end up using too much powder to get rid of the tacky feel. This may not be the best foundation for those who have very dry skin, though - I tried using it after a (bad) experiment with a salicylic acid toner, and it did emphasize the skin flakes.

- It stays on quite well for 8-12 hours. It does get shiny in the middle of the day and fade a bit towards the evening, of course, but it never breaks down in patches (Chanel's Vitalumiere Aqua!) or otherwise looks offensive.
All in all, like any foundation, it won't suit every single skin type, but it's a fantastic in-between option - not too heavy, not too light, not too matte and not too dewy. I've been using this for about 10 years now, and every time I "cheated" on it with a different foundation, I regretted it.

on 12/2/2017 10:49:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

The best foundation I’ve ever tried. It’s the one foundation I always go back to and leaves a very natural, non cakey finish. Luminous silk isn’t a full coverage foundation, I’d say it’s medium coverage but leaves a beautiful slightly dewy finish. Definitely will repurchase

on 9/25/2017 2:54:00 PM

I'm using this foundation for a few days now and I really like it. It does get oily on my t-zone very quickly but on the normal parts of my face, the foundation does what it says. It has a gorgeous finish, really skin-like. I have to use my LM translucent powder underneath and on top of the product on my nose and forehead to control the shine for a few hours. Afterwards, I have to blot every now and then, but there is no foundation out there that could possibly control my oil-happy nose, so I'm fine with that. It also didn't break me out, which tends to happen a lot lately. Don't know how or why.

The colour I bought (3) is a tad bit too light for my NC15 skin, especially if I set it with the LM translucent powder, which always leaves a slightly white-ish colour to my face. But one shade darker (3.5 I think) was way too warm for me, so I had to settle for this one. Also, winter is coming, so it's better to have a lighter colour this time of year. I found that the MAC mineralize loose powder (in the shade extra light) works really well with this foundation, especially to darken the foundation a tiny bit. I apply it with a flat kabuki brush and then put some product on a beauty blender and blend it all out. I use the beauty blender to set the powder on my oily zones and a brush to lightly set the foundation on my cheeks (which are normal so don't need much setting).

It's a lovely product with a reasonable colour range (which most drugstore foundations don't have, so I don't understand some reviews here claiming that there are drugstore foundations better than this one). Only downside I would say is the price. 54 Euros is a lot of money for a foundation, but if I continue to like it I will definitely repurchase.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

This has been my go-to foundation for years now, although admittedly that's probably a lot out of habit and the fact that it continues to receive so much media hype. Overall I'd say it's a good product, but there's definitely room for improvement, especially considering the price.

PROS:
- The best thing about this foundation is that it starts off as sheer coverage but is incredibly buildable. Keeping most of my skin under sheer coverage, where my natural coloring, freckles etc can still peek through, and only adding extra coverage where I need it, gives the illusion of having naturally great skin. I prefer a very natural 'no makeup' makeup look, so this is ideal for me. This is definitely not a foundation for those who want medium or heavy coverage over most of the face, or for creating a glamorous airbrushed instagram-style look. Use a brush or beauty blender to 'push' (not swipe) more product into the skin where you need more coverage.

- It's a dewy finish, which is great for dry skin.

- I find that it lasts a long time. I repurchase about every 6 months or so.

CONS:
- The worst thing about this foundation is the shade range. When I don't apply self-tanner even the lightest shade (2) is too dark and too yellow. In fact, I find that most of the shades run warm, even those that are supposedly neutral. Moreover, the entire system is confusing: rather than just having neutral, cool and warm shades, there are "neutral", "peachy", "rosy", "warm" "golden" and "red" ones, and for this reason you can't assume that a higher number is necessarily a darker shade than a smaller number, which is ridiculous. For example, 3.75 is actually lighter than 3.5. I would recommend anyone buying this product for the first time to take a look at the Nordstrom website because they do a pretty good run-down of the shades (http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/giorgio-armani-luminous-silk-foundation/2853110), so you have an idea of what ones you need to swatch on yourself before you get to the counter.

- I don't personally like the smell.

- The packaging is nothing special.

- No SPF.

on 8/20/2017 2:30:00 AM

Okay I'll keep it short and sweet: the good things about it are: it doesn't feel heavy, doesn't look dry at all, at the start for the first hour it gives a gorgeous finish that looks stunning. Now the bad: I have combo skin normal everywhere but I get an oily tzone throughout the day. This foundation after 2 hours made me look way too greasy. Not like dewy, just greasy and it's a shame I really wanted it to work because the first hour I had it on I was in love. I don't think this foundation is good for normal or combo skin and definitely not for oily skin. Maybe if you have really dry skin that doesn't get oily in the day. I regret buying it. I'll try mixing it with other foundations maybe so I don't waste my money because australia doesn't allow you to return makeup in most stores but yeah I wish I didn't buy it.

on 3/18/2017 9:30:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

This is by far the best foundation I have used, alongside with Urban Decay Naked Skin (and the discontinued Bourjois 123 Foudnation).

I have it in shades 3.0, which is my transitional shade (nc25) and 2.0, which is my winter shade (between nc15 and nc20).

The shade 2.0 is a perfect neutral shade, slightly yellow (not a beige).

The foundation works very Well on My dehydrated oily skin.

I prep my skin with a light moisturizer (Caudalie sorbet, the light pink tube). I apply the foundation with a moist sponge (Real Techniques works better than Beauty Blender - quite a mistery, really). Using a buffing brush gives a similar outcome, but the sponge is definitely a better option. That way, the pores are better covered.

When I apply the foundation, my skin looks really perfect and even.

On top I put Hourglass compact powder, but it doesn't make a difference - whichever powder is on top, it looks natural and soft (Mac loose setting powder, Guerlain Perls in Medium).

The foundation lasts really long. I tested it on all weather conditions, and there is only a difference with my oiliness but despite, the foundation sits well. I get 8 hours without retouching. By 12 hours, the foundation slightly sinks into pores, but still looks good and wearable.

I highly recommend both of the foundations!

The match is on point, the foundation is longwearing, doesn't dry my skin out and doesn't make my skin oilier than usual. It's the best I came across.

Mac Prolongwear nc20 - slightly too orange
Estée Lauder DW 1w2 - slightly too orange
Burberry Velvet Ochre - slightly darker
Lancôme 24 Idole Beige Albatre - slightly darker and too orange (match with first two above)

Urban Decay 2.0 Naked
Bourjois 123 foundation 52
Giorgio Armani Luminous 2.0

on 1/20/2017 8:49:00 PM

Holy Grail and im very hard to please. This is a beautiful foundation, my only regret is not finding it sooner.

Its a medium coverage but can be built up to full or sheared out. It glides on like a dream, it has lots of playtime so it doesnt dry too quickly, its so easy to blend, doesn't sit in pores or fine lines, I can put it under my eyes and dont have to worry about creasing, it covers all my redness as I get dry rosacea on my cheeks, it doesn't cling to dry patches or look cakey. Its luminous but slightly matt at the same time if that makes sense. Its also very neutral toned.

I usually wear Double wear foundation and I do really love it but I find that it clings to my dry skin if I dont prime extremly well and even then it can look cakey and sometimes it settles into lines and can show up dry patches so ive been on the hunt for something similar but more suited to my skin type and Luminous silk is definitely it. I have a feeling it might not suit very oily skin types so id say get a sample if youre unsure, it seems like its more suited to normal/dry skin.

Its expensive but worth it in my opinion and anyway its only 5 euro more than Double wear so I dont feel im spending much more than I usually would anyway.

Edit to add, I took a bad reaction to a new cleanser recently, I rarely get spots but this new cleanser left me with a rash on my forehead, painful cystic spots on my temples and chin and little red spots every where else, it also left my skin very dry, Luminous Silk was a god send for me, it covered all my redness and evened my skin tone with two pumps without causing any further irritation. I love this foundation!!