Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk Foundation

Filtered by skin tone : Fair
Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk Foundation

3.8

This is probably my favorite foundation, it's pretty sheer and not full coverage but it blends so nicely and works so well on my skin even though I have dry skin problems!

on 2/6/2018 6:56:00 PM

Love the light texture, you’ll have to apply it quick because it dries fast. Medium coverage and a lot of shades to choose from. A little goes a long way

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I really, REALLY wanted to love this product. I have heard so many great things about it and I was excited about the name of the foundation, Luminious Silk, because of my dry skin. This foundation dries out my skin so much. I have to put on a thick moisturizer, a hydrating primer and 3 drops of beauty oil in it to make it work for my skin. If I do all of those steps, it does come out beautiful. But it's a LOT of effort to make it work for me, especially for $64. I will continue to use it, but sadly will not repurchase.

on 1/22/2018 11:57:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

How do I love thee, let me count the ways:
- The best thing I find about Luminous Silk is the silky (duh), slippery texture that glides over the skin effortlessly. I have to blend most other foundations very carefully over small areas of my face to avoid cakey spots. With this one, I got completely lazy - I can slap a pump's worth into the middle of my face, slather it around, and it gives me a completely even, perfectly blended coverage without drying up and setting too fast and clinging to skin patches. For a light all-over application, I get the best results when I use my fingers and simply spread it around just like a moisturizer. (Some reviews mentioned that they hated LS when using it with the Beauty Blender, and I hated the BB when using it with this foundation, so it looks like they're not compatible, if that's your preferred application method. Not a problem for me, but LS is rather light and thin, so sponges and brushes soak it up quite easily.)

- It can be built up from about medium-light to medium-heavy coverage without looking heavy. On the days when the above is not enough, I like to take a bit more and apply it with a tapping motion wherever I need it, either with my fingers or a brush. This covers any redness, capillaries, faded scars and light spots. It won't cover anything too dark/red, but I'd rather use a concealer than a heavy foundation for that.

- The finish, despite the name, is rather natural with slight dewiness. For me (normal skin that's sometimes prone to dryness and can get oily towards the end of the day), it's perfect - anything more matte looks dry and patchy on me, and anything richer sits on top of the skin, and I just end up using too much powder to get rid of the tacky feel. This may not be the best foundation for those who have very dry skin, though - I tried using it after a (bad) experiment with a salicylic acid toner, and it did emphasize the skin flakes.

- It stays on quite well for 8-12 hours. It does get shiny in the middle of the day and fade a bit towards the evening, of course, but it never breaks down in patches (Chanel's Vitalumiere Aqua!) or otherwise looks offensive.
All in all, like any foundation, it won't suit every single skin type, but it's a fantastic in-between option - not too heavy, not too light, not too matte and not too dewy. I've been using this for about 10 years now, and every time I "cheated" on it with a different foundation, I regretted it.

on 12/2/2017 10:49:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

The best foundation I’ve ever tried. It’s the one foundation I always go back to and leaves a very natural, non cakey finish. Luminous silk isn’t a full coverage foundation, I’d say it’s medium coverage but leaves a beautiful slightly dewy finish. Definitely will repurchase

on 11/19/2017 8:16:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I went 10 years without buying liquid foundation. I have light cool toned skin, but not 001 cool toned. Foundations pull yellow very easily on my skin. Most foundation lines only formulate the palest cool tone as an actual pink based foundation, and beyond that just get progressively warmer/yellower. I don't care if yellow counteracts to "neutralize" my pink undertones - I want my face to match my neck, and my makeup to look like my natural skin. Luminous silk 4.75 is the first foundation I've ever found that matches my skin perfectly. It's light to medium buildable coverage, no scent, blends out well with a beauty blender. Very happy.

on 9/25/2017 2:54:00 PM

I'm using this foundation for a few days now and I really like it. It does get oily on my t-zone very quickly but on the normal parts of my face, the foundation does what it says. It has a gorgeous finish, really skin-like. I have to use my LM translucent powder underneath and on top of the product on my nose and forehead to control the shine for a few hours. Afterwards, I have to blot every now and then, but there is no foundation out there that could possibly control my oil-happy nose, so I'm fine with that. It also didn't break me out, which tends to happen a lot lately. Don't know how or why.

The colour I bought (3) is a tad bit too light for my NC15 skin, especially if I set it with the LM translucent powder, which always leaves a slightly white-ish colour to my face. But one shade darker (3.5 I think) was way too warm for me, so I had to settle for this one. Also, winter is coming, so it's better to have a lighter colour this time of year. I found that the MAC mineralize loose powder (in the shade extra light) works really well with this foundation, especially to darken the foundation a tiny bit. I apply it with a flat kabuki brush and then put some product on a beauty blender and blend it all out. I use the beauty blender to set the powder on my oily zones and a brush to lightly set the foundation on my cheeks (which are normal so don't need much setting).

It's a lovely product with a reasonable colour range (which most drugstore foundations don't have, so I don't understand some reviews here claiming that there are drugstore foundations better than this one). Only downside I would say is the price. 54 Euros is a lot of money for a foundation, but if I continue to like it I will definitely repurchase.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

This has been my go-to foundation for years now, although admittedly that's probably a lot out of habit and the fact that it continues to receive so much media hype. Overall I'd say it's a good product, but there's definitely room for improvement, especially considering the price.

PROS:
- The best thing about this foundation is that it starts off as sheer coverage but is incredibly buildable. Keeping most of my skin under sheer coverage, where my natural coloring, freckles etc can still peek through, and only adding extra coverage where I need it, gives the illusion of having naturally great skin. I prefer a very natural 'no makeup' makeup look, so this is ideal for me. This is definitely not a foundation for those who want medium or heavy coverage over most of the face, or for creating a glamorous airbrushed instagram-style look. Use a brush or beauty blender to 'push' (not swipe) more product into the skin where you need more coverage.

- It's a dewy finish, which is great for dry skin.

- I find that it lasts a long time. I repurchase about every 6 months or so.

CONS:
- The worst thing about this foundation is the shade range. When I don't apply self-tanner even the lightest shade (2) is too dark and too yellow. In fact, I find that most of the shades run warm, even those that are supposedly neutral. Moreover, the entire system is confusing: rather than just having neutral, cool and warm shades, there are "neutral", "peachy", "rosy", "warm" "golden" and "red" ones, and for this reason you can't assume that a higher number is necessarily a darker shade than a smaller number, which is ridiculous. For example, 3.75 is actually lighter than 3.5. I would recommend anyone buying this product for the first time to take a look at the Nordstrom website because they do a pretty good run-down of the shades (http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/giorgio-armani-luminous-silk-foundation/2853110), so you have an idea of what ones you need to swatch on yourself before you get to the counter.

- I don't personally like the smell.

- The packaging is nothing special.

- No SPF.

on 8/20/2017 2:30:00 AM

Okay I'll keep it short and sweet: the good things about it are: it doesn't feel heavy, doesn't look dry at all, at the start for the first hour it gives a gorgeous finish that looks stunning. Now the bad: I have combo skin normal everywhere but I get an oily tzone throughout the day. This foundation after 2 hours made me look way too greasy. Not like dewy, just greasy and it's a shame I really wanted it to work because the first hour I had it on I was in love. I don't think this foundation is good for normal or combo skin and definitely not for oily skin. Maybe if you have really dry skin that doesn't get oily in the day. I regret buying it. I'll try mixing it with other foundations maybe so I don't waste my money because australia doesn't allow you to return makeup in most stores but yeah I wish I didn't buy it.

on 7/7/2017 5:45:00 PM

Lovely foundation, beautiful medium coverage and finish. Lasts all day and leaves a silky natural finish. Friends complimented my skin and it covered, smoothed and evened my skin perfectly. I got this as a sample while looking for new foundations. Was put off as the Armani representative lady was so rude! I guess I would have loved this foundation more if I had a positive experience with the Armani representative but oh well. 7/10 recommend