Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk Foundation

Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk Foundation

3.8

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

This is an amazing lightweight, medium coverage foundation. It has great lasting power and wears beautifully throughout the day. My hands-down favourite thing about this foundation is the colour match I got, I find it so difficult finding fair shades that don't have strong pink undertones or strong yellow undertones but this one has the perfect neutral fair shade that doesn't oxidize at all.

I would for sure recommend this product, and also I find it's best applied with a dense brush or fingertips. A sponge would just be a total waste of product.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

I've tried countless foundations, ranging from dirt cheap to more expensive than this (crazy, I know), but I can really never find anything that comes close to this one. The finish it gives me is just incredible— photoshopped- looking, but also not too makeup-y. Truly a paradox. Moreover, I have dry skin and this stuff never accentuates dry patches, it also isn't like traditionally dewy and hydrating foundations that provide the moisture by making the formula emollient and greasy, leading to the foundation slipping and sliding on my face and transferring to everything I touch. Granted, this foundation isn't very long wearing even on my dry skin, but when it fades, it fades evenly and in a way that never makes me feel anxious to look in a mirror worried at what I might see. The only thing I would like to see improved is the shade range. I'd love to see a light olive color, similar to shade 6 but for an NC 20-25. I currently have to mix 6 and 3 (a light yellow- toned shade) to get my perfect match. Oh, and the price could be more reasonable too of course!

on 11/19/2017 8:16:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I went 10 years without buying liquid foundation. I have light cool toned skin, but not 001 cool toned. Foundations pull yellow very easily on my skin. Most foundation lines only formulate the palest cool tone as an actual pink based foundation, and beyond that just get progressively warmer/yellower. I don't care if yellow counteracts to "neutralize" my pink undertones - I want my face to match my neck, and my makeup to look like my natural skin. Luminous silk 4.75 is the first foundation I've ever found that matches my skin perfectly. It's light to medium buildable coverage, no scent, blends out well with a beauty blender. Very happy.

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Neutral

Beautiful. Just beautiful.

Not a lot of coverage but it is so easy to apply and just smooths onto skin. It somewhat reduces the appearance of uneven texture on skin like craters or what not and from afar it looks like your skin is glowing, and by that I don't mean dewy or whatever. I mean as if you had a bunch of vegetables and eight glasses of water and actually got enough sleep kind of glow. It doesn't look like your wearing foundation at all, even my overly critical sister couldn't tell when I asked her how my foundation looked.

Only downsides is the price, and the fact it's not available at my local Sephora, so I have to make a special trip to the one that's three hours away if I need a new bottle.

Also this somewhat reminds me of the Nars all day luminous in regards to the initial finish when you apply it and it's funny cause that one is my all time HG favorite.

I wish they offered this in a smaller bottle with a nicer price tag so it wouldn't be so hard to fork out the money for this. I have to save up for this for weeks before I can get it it's that expensive here in Canada. (I'm still a student too).

The longevity seems pretty good but I'm going to try it out in the heat tomorrow hopefully.

on 4/23/2017 10:08:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Luminous Silk is literally a do-it-all foundation for me: throw a little on in a hurry and you’ll have a natural-looking, slightly glowy base, or build up the coverage for an evening out and it’ll look amazing in photos. It’s one of the foundations I tend to take with me when I go away because I know it’ll cooperate with my skin no matter what condition it’s in.

I'd say it has medium coverage but can be built up to almost full and sets to a natural looking finish. I often hear people describing this foundation as ‘matte’ but I have to say I disagree; there is a definite radiance to it. The day I wore this again for the first time in a little while, my dad asked me if I’d gotten a new foundation because my 'face was glowing’ - when even your dad notices how good your skin is looking, you know the foundation is a keeper! Luminous Silk feels relatively hydrating on my skin and doesn’t accentuate dry patches. It also dries/sets quite fast so be sure to blend quickly and not apply too much at a time.

I would probably recommend this foundation for drier/more normal skin types as the longevity is adequate, but not superb. I have no qualms wearing it on a night out but will always wear a primer underneath and set it with powder to increase lasting power. I actually often mix it with NARS Sheer Glow to increase coverage and longevity for events. It’s not really the best choice for super hot/humid conditions as it can get shiny, but works fine in milder weather, so I would probably shy away from it if you have an oilier skin type. I'm somewhere between an NC 20-25 and wear 4 when I’m at my natural skin tone and 6 works perfectly when I’m tanned.

on 3/18/2017 9:30:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

This is by far the best foundation I have used, alongside with Urban Decay Naked Skin (and the discontinued Bourjois 123 Foudnation).

I have it in shades 3.0, which is my transitional shade (nc25) and 2.0, which is my winter shade (between nc15 and nc20).

The shade 2.0 is a perfect neutral shade, slightly yellow (not a beige).

The foundation works very Well on My dehydrated oily skin.

I prep my skin with a light moisturizer (Caudalie sorbet, the light pink tube). I apply the foundation with a moist sponge (Real Techniques works better than Beauty Blender - quite a mistery, really). Using a buffing brush gives a similar outcome, but the sponge is definitely a better option. That way, the pores are better covered.

When I apply the foundation, my skin looks really perfect and even.

On top I put Hourglass compact powder, but it doesn't make a difference - whichever powder is on top, it looks natural and soft (Mac loose setting powder, Guerlain Perls in Medium).

The foundation lasts really long. I tested it on all weather conditions, and there is only a difference with my oiliness but despite, the foundation sits well. I get 8 hours without retouching. By 12 hours, the foundation slightly sinks into pores, but still looks good and wearable.

I highly recommend both of the foundations!

The match is on point, the foundation is longwearing, doesn't dry my skin out and doesn't make my skin oilier than usual. It's the best I came across.

Mac Prolongwear nc20 - slightly too orange
Estée Lauder DW 1w2 - slightly too orange
Burberry Velvet Ochre - slightly darker
Lancôme 24 Idole Beige Albatre - slightly darker and too orange (match with first two above)

Urban Decay 2.0 Naked
Bourjois 123 foundation 52
Giorgio Armani Luminous 2.0

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

Before, I've always gravitated towards fuller coverage foundations. However, recently, something clicked in me and now I've been craving sheer finishes in all my makeup products. Maybe it's the obnoxious minimalist Glossier/Milk aesthetic unexpectedly rubbing off on me. (I still think they're gimmicky, all-style-no-substance brands, though.) Nevertheless, the search for my HG light coverage foundation ends here.

Luminous Silk is sheer yet highly pigmented, if that makes sense. It imparts its color on the face yet at the same time doesn't fully cover dark spots, acne scars, facial redness, etc. I really dig that aspect, though: seeing your skin's natural imperfections just faintly showing underneath the layer of foundation gives a very healthy-looking glow overall. And besides, for the really bad areas, you can always add concealer. The finish is exactly as advertised: radiant and silky. It applies like a silky smooth dream, not clinging to any dry patches (assuming you've properly exfoliated and moisturized) and never accentuating fine lines. I have rather prominent smile lines, which I've had countless foundations sink straight into, and thankfully, this one doesn't have that issue. This foundation lasts all day, and despite the luminous finish, I didn't experience it getting unbearably oily throughout the day. Granted, I have dry skin, but I bet this would still fare wonderfully on even oily-skinned people, with powder.

As amazing as this foundation is, there is still the elephant in the room: the exorbitant price. $64 for 1 oz. is way up there. Personally, I do believe that foundation is one of the few makeup items that you should splurge on if you find the perfect one, because from my experience, price does correlate with quality here. And the difference between an okay foundation and a great one is like night and day.

My HG foundation. I heard about it from my dad's gf, and once my dry winter skin started making all of my other foundations look patchy and sad, I decided to try it out. It gives the most amazing skinlike finish, and doesn't cling to any dry patches on my face. I have since switched up my skincare routine so the other foundations work again, but this one is still my favorite! A little goes a long way, I just apply about a pump or 2 (I have a big face), blend it with a damp beauty blender, and I look absolutely flawless. If you can find your shade match (I'm #2), it's totally worth the price. However, the foundation line does seem to be lacking in darker skintones (and they all seem to have red undertones), so that is an issue.

on 12/12/2016 9:48:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

This is my favorite foundation (alongside MAC's face & body)!

I'm an nc30 and my shade in this foundation is 5.75!

EDIT: I just ran out of my first bottle and decided to repurchase but this time i decided to go for shade 6, and it evidently looks better on me than 5.75!

I don't think one is darker than another, the only difference is in the undertone -6 is more yellow/golden whereas 5.75 is more peachy!

on 6/13/2016 6:24:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

EDIT on 11/19/16: I repurchased this during the VIB sale. I got the shade 5.75 for my NC25-30 skin. It's described a medium with warm undertones. It definitely has a peachy undertone but for reason works for me and my fake tan. It makes my skin look pretty, yet still look like skin. So it's not going to be full coverage and make you look absolutely flawless, but I can see this as a good every day foundation. I find it best to apply with fingers to get more coverage.

Don't understand the hype. I bought it in the shade 4 (light with golden undertones and perfect for a NC20). Yes it's a nice foundation but for $62 I was expecting miracles. It's definitely a sheer finish. Yet the fact that it said "buildable" coverage I figured it could cover dark spots. Nope! The good things about it is that it leaves a satiny finish to the skin and it still looks like real skin, not mask like. Also it lasted through the humid Florida summer day. I ended up returning it because I can find drugstore foundations that do the same thing. Just couldn't justify spending that much money on an "average" foundation.