Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk Foundation

Filtered by hair type : Straight age: 25-29
Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk Foundation

3.7

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Went everywhere looking for this. My local Nordie's and Bloomie's didn't carry it. And by chance, I found it at Barney's after waiting outside Neiman Marcus to open (didn't due to loss of power).

All the work to find out that it applies horribly. I feel like I'm rubbing a layer of gel on my face and it just sits there. The color is a good match, but not perfect.

And then I found out that my skin is reacting horribly to it. Red bumps and itchiness.

Why oh why did I throw away the receipt. B

Back to Nars Sheer Glow!

on 8/28/2011 7:44:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

I've tried this on three times in the store but never caved in and bought it thankfully. The first time left me decidedly unimpressed. I gave Luminous Silk Foundation another try on 2 seperate occasions, thinking I must have been mistaken due to all the rave reviews but nope, still unimpressed.

My main problem is this is sooo sheer, more like a tinted moisturiser than a foundation really, even though the MUA described it as medium/high coverage. I have good-ish skin; I only rarely break out and have no lines, scars or large pores just some minor uneven pigmentation and the odd patch of mild eczema. My flaws were still *clearly* visible through this foundation and as if that wasn't enough LSF highlighted some flakey patches that I didn't even realize I had and made them look terrible. When I remarked on these problems, the MUA quickly informed me that LSF is buildable (and tried to push the Giorgio Armani skincare line at me LOL). However I found LSF too thin and watery to work with for layering and besides I had no desire to highlight my dry patches further.

Second point is the texture. You might think that something named "luminous" and "silk" would feel rich, luxurious and well, silky. If you thought that, you'd be wrong. Instead LSF feels simultaneously watery yet super drying in a way you wouldn't have thought possible.

Also I find Giorgio doesn't do too many shades for neutral or cool-toned skin. I look at their counter and see a sea of yellow and more yellow which seems to be getting increasingly common. And the one fair, cool shade they did have had too much white in it for me.

If you have well hydrated, yellow toned skin, hate thicker foundation and are after something barely-there you might want to look into this. However if you're after a richer, more flawless looking finish or a foundation with some "oomph" then skip this one.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

I was so excited for this product. My color is #3, but the coverage is so light and the end result is not perfection. One squirt never did it for me... I think for the price, it should be perfection. I was so excited when I bought this foundation I bought a GA blush with it too. Both were dissapointments. I have yet to find my favorite. My advice for readers is to get a sample first. Try it at work, try it at home, try it at night. See if this is something you think is so spectacular its worth mega moola.

on 4/9/2013 9:17:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

First I'll say I don't own one, but I let a make-up artist do me a make-up with this just yesterday. I am very pale so she used the shade #2 on me. Before foundation she used some serum for the dry areas and Armani BB cream to tone down the redness. She applied the foundation light-handedly, so the outcome was pretty natural looking, but nothing to wow! about. Matte and seemed to go well with my skin tone. When I arrived home a few hours later I noticed my face was yellow, ugh. Maybe it was the initial light or maybe it oxidized. Any way, pale skinned people, beware, and don't be too hasty buying it.

on 8/4/2012 1:23:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk Foundation in 5
- expensive at $59
- luminous finish
- light to medium coverage
- great clean, fresh scent
- no spf, photographs well
- doesn't oxidize
- unfortunately, poor lasting power on my very oily skin

In my blog post I swatched it next to the following:
MAC Studio Finish Concealer NW20
DiorSkin Forever Flawless Perfection Fusion Wear Makeup SPF 25 in 020
Chanel Vitalumiere Aqua SPF 15 B20 Beige Tendre
NARS Sheer Glow in Light 4 / Deauville (the pump was purchased separately)

on 3/19/2010 2:58:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Other, Neutral

This foundation is OK, but considering the prize...I wouldn't even consider buying it again. The pump is hard to manage, and the finish is more powdery than "dewy". And be careful about picking the shade on this one, ladies. It seems like it becomes much lighter (in my case, shade no. 5, more "spooky") when you apply it. I am aware it might work differently for someone with oily skin, but I don't think it's a foundation that works for "all skin types" (as the sales lady told me). Also, I would't recommend it to someone with somewhat sensitive or dry skin, because I do find it a bit drying. On the plus side, it does stay on it's place throughout the day.

I love that this product comes in fair shades for me and it does leave a nice satin finish and quite nice medium coverage for a thinner consistency fdtn. I will say I was a touch disappointed given the hype and PRICE that it wasn't more smooth/invisible/skin-like - when I consider the Bourjois Healthy Mix gel serum is awesome and costs about half and I get the result I'm looking for, why spend so much on this product right...?

on 8/19/2017 12:51:00 PM

Another hyped up product that didn't wow me. It's a decent light coverage foundation with a good shade range for light to medium skin tones. But for the really hefty price tag it's not worth it. It has quite light coverage with a dewy finish that doesn't last very long on my normal to combo skin and I get shiny super quickly even tho I rarely have that issue with other foundations. I can't really understand why it's a staple for so many people including makeup artists. But I can imagine if you have super flawless skin and just want to a light veil of foundation it works.

on 12/8/2014 12:10:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse

Received a sample of this. Was interested in purchasing but the foundation just didn't work with my skin. I have dry sensitive acne prone skin (normal to oily t-zone)

As soon as I applied this, the foundation accentuated flakes and made the texture of my skin look worse... It also accentuated my face hairs.. Not sure how that worked but it did. Just didn't look good at all. I moisturized twice and primed my face prior to foundation application so the foundation had more than enough moisture to work with. The shade match was good; 5.75. BUT the foundation does have alcohol listed in the ingredients which could be drying.

I'm glad I didn't purchase the full size product. I do see this working for normal to oily skin.

For reference: NC25-30, MUFE F&B 32, Dior Star 021 Linen, YSL TE BD50, Chanel Vitalumiere 010

on 4/27/2014 12:56:00 AM

I'm really undecided on this foundation. And really, if you're paying close to sixty dollars for a foundation - you should know whether or not you like it.

Pros - glowy, does not feel heavy or mask like on face, nice range of color matches (I'm pale with yellow undertones - a lot of foundations are either far too light or too orange), the packaging (bottle with pump).

Cons - sinks into pores, clings to dry patches, foundation wears off on the oily sections on my face (at the end of the day I can see where it has worn off on my nose), it does oxidize slightly.

Bottom line: i like the texture - it's lightweight and it does make skin look glowy and luminous. It's the perfect foundation for in between light and medium coverage and the coverage is buildable. However, this is foundation for my good skin days. It does require a primer to last for the majority of the day and even then it does wear off. Proper moisterization and exfoliation are necessary in order for skin to work with this foundation. I would expect these kind of set backs from lower end foundations, but not for a high end product.