Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk Foundation

Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk Foundation

3.9

on 10/29/2017 12:48:00 PM

I feel compelled to update my original review about this product and the sensitivities it caused, because after reading the latest reviews on top of mine, some users have reported itchiness.

Overall i'd like to thank this product and Giorgio Armani. Although it gave me a nightmarish allergic reaction - redness, burning & a patch of about 50 closely clustered whiteheads on both cheeks - it helped me to better understand my skin, identity my allergies and educate myself more about ingredients in cosmetic and skincare products.

Basically i got tired of breaking out from new products so I started a spreadsheet listing what i've used and their common ingredients (https://imgur.com/a/Atzql). Two common triggers across troublemaker products were LIMONENE and LINALOOL. Both of them are essential oils - lemon/orange and lavender in that order, and while essential oils are natural, what is not commonly known is that they are also skin allergy triggers. They have no skincare benefits and are added purely for fragrance purposes.

LIMONENE
SEE: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orange_oil

"The limonene which is the main component of the oil is a mild irritant, as it dissolves protective skin oils. Limonene and its oxidation products are skin irritants, and limonene-1,2-oxide (formed by aerial oxidation) is a known skin sensitizer. Most reported cases of irritation have involved long-term industrial exposure to the pure compound, e.g. during degreasing or the preparation of paints. However a study of patients presenting dermatitis showed that 3% were sensitized to limonene. Limonene has been observed to cause cancer in male rats, by reacting with α2u-globulin, which is not produced by female rats. There is no evidence for carcinogenicity or genotoxicity in humans. The IARC classifies d-limonene under Class 3: not classifiable as to its carcinogenicity to humans.[9] Limonene is also flammable.[10]"

P.S Limonene can also pop a balloon in one second

LINALOOL

"Linalool can be absorbed by inhalation of its aerosol and by oral intake or skin absorption, potentially causing irritation, pain and allergic reactions. Linalool is used as a scent in 60–80% of perfumed hygiene products and cleaning agents including soaps, detergents, shampoos, and lotions.[4] It is also used as a chemical intermediate. One common downstream product of linalool is vitamin E. In addition, linalool is used by pest professionals as a flea, fruit fly and cockroach insecticide."

_______________________

I'm no longer angered nor surprised that an established company like Giorgio Armani is adding these cheap and irritating ingredients in their luxury-priced products, because a lot of companies do as well in this day and age. As consumers who want to protect our skin and give it only the best, we just have to be more discerning, educated and responsible for what we put on it.

That said, not everyone is sensitive to Limonene and Linalool so i hope this review can help those with sensitive skin - please do get a sample or patch test before going full-face.

In closing, if i hadn't experienced an allergic reaction, i don't think much of this foundation in terms of wear-time nor coverage. It wasn't terrible, just average performing and the best thing about it was just about the aesthically pleasing packaging.

on 10/17/2017 2:13:00 PM

I had such high hopes for this foundation after reading/watching hundreds of reviews but... this was one of my biggest disappointments in makeup purchases in general. Leaving aside the fact that it's so pricey, I could never imagine my skin reacting to any makeup product the way it did with this foundation. Although I have fairly normal/combination skin, which is not sensitive to any makeup and doesn't break out, this foundation caused so much problems for my skin:( although it promises luminous skin look and supposedly works great on most skin types, it looked so dry in places, clinging to my skin, mostly forehead, looking patchy and uneven. I'm neutral undertone and I found 4.5 shade to be too yellow, in general hard to get the right shade for fair neutral skin tone. I would be happy with the coverage it gives as I never look for full coverage in foundation, however there's something in its formula that's absolutely not working on my skin. I started feeling really itchy almost immediately after applying it and by the end of the day, my face was covered in rash, which I never ever had from any other makeup product. I decided to give it another go after my skin completely cleared out, prepping as normally would with any other foundation and unfortunately got the same reaction. Oh well, going back to my holy grail Shiseido Synchro Skin Lasting Foundation.

I don't understand the hype over this foundation. It makes my well-cared-for, moisturized, exfoliated skin look like the Sahara desert while simultaneously turning my normal-to-moderately-oily T-zone into an oil slick. Amazing.

It emphasizes every fine line, dry patch, and pore on my face. And I cannot, for the life of me, find a shade that matches me (and I am what I consider a fairly common fair/light Caucasion skin tone). It very much looks like makeup no matter how sheerly I have attempted to apply it...I have also tried it over multiple different primers with no significant change in performance. Not once, not twice, but THREE times I have given this a try and I have ended up returning the product to Sephora each time (thank goodness for their great return policy). I'm done with this. It's great that it works out as HG status for so many, but GA has somehow gone very far afield from what works for my skin.

on 3/22/2017 10:16:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

I tried this after seeing so many reviews and videos praising its greatness. This did not work for me. I have combo to dry skin right now. I used Hourglass Veil Mineral Primer on my problem areas (as Karima does in her videos with this). I also set it with Laura Mercier powder. This just slid off of my face or disappeared in some areas and I only wore it for about 8 hours. Where I work is very chilly, so warmth was not an issue. The places it stayed put looked okay, but not good. I'm very disappointed in this high end foundation.

I bough this after talking to a sales assistant who assured me Armani products are "recommended by dermatologists" and all use "superior' ingredients". This was music to my ears, having just suffered a 4 month period of allergy triggered eczema.

After doing a color match on me, she made up my entire face and at first, the finish was beautiful, I was impressed so bough this plus two other products (blusher and primer). By the time I got home however, my face was itchy, and by that night my ENTIRE face was red. After a careful reading of the ingredients list I was HORRIFIED to discover that Armani uses both limonene and linalool - these are cheap, well known irritants that are only added for the sake of fragrance. I was surprised that a premium brand such of this had resorted to such cheap and unnecessary ingredients. So much for "dermatologist recommended" and "superior" ingredients.... I think not!

I hated this so much.Its such a strange consistency, watery and greasy at the same time!I found that it looked streaky whether I applied it with a brush,sponge or fingers and set in a really uneven way.I prefer a light to medium coverage and found myself having to use 4 or 5 pumps to cover my face.I gave it to a friend who also hated it.Really disappointed, it was so hyped and SO expensive.Extra disappointing because I really liked Maestro.Absolutely terrible.

Not a good foundation. It's ridiculous to pay an arm and a leg for a name and cheap chemicals that damage our skin and health. This foundation is full of cancer causing agents. Every product we use in our skin is absorbed into our skin and enters our blood stream. Look the ingredients up on EWG's Skin Deep, or anywhere in the internet. If you care about your health, don't fund products like these.

on 1/2/2016 11:40:00 AM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I am returning this. It's touted as being luminous - it's not. It's way too much coverage for my taste and not luminous at all. Shows all my pores. Almost looks cakey on me. Not a look I strive for. Sorry GA

Really did not like this foundation. I found it to be really cakey on me, drying, and made me look white as a ghost in flash photography. I didn't even finish the bottle so it was a waste of money.

on 12/19/2015 11:12:00 PM

I don't get all the hype around this foundation. I found it really hard to blend and it looked very cakey on me. I don't usually have a problem with oil on my skin, I happen to be pretty dry, but something in this foundation made me a grease ball. Within a few hours of wearing it I noticed it breaking down on my cheeks and my chin. When I touched up with a powder it got even more cakey. I returned after wearing it 3 times as I had the same experience each time.