Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk Foundation

Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk Foundation

3.8

on 3/29/2008 10:04:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I'm going to give you the most accurate review of this foundation for those of you who have oily skin. This foundation looks great for the first ten minutes you have it on, but makes you look even more oily than your natural skin after a little while. I literally had to blot my face every hour, which left my face with weird streaks by the end of the day. Also I noticed that the "micro-filling" technology made my pores more distinctive, because tiny little particles of foundation settled inside my pores after a few hours of wearing it. Colors also run a little bit too pink, even though most of the numbers say that they have "warm" undertone. I tried #4, 4.5, 5, and 5.5, and all of these did not have the golden tone I was looking for. I was right in between 4.5 and 5.5. When I wore 4.5, it was too ashy on me (too opaque, not radiant at all). When I wore 5.5, it was too orange and dark. This foundation is absolutely awful for people like me who have oily skin with yellow/gold undertone.

on 8/2/2016 4:10:00 PM

If you've done your research, you will be familiar with the hype surrounding this product. There certainly is a reason for the buzz. This is a superb foundation. For many, the hunt for the perfect base stops at the Armani counter. I can understand that.

The texture is rather loose and runny, but blends like a dream into a medium finish. I use a brush as this is my preferred method, but I'm sure it would be a delight with a sponge like the Beauty Blender. Immediately after application, you can see how well it cooperates with the skin underneath; that's what really sets it apart from other foundations. A lot of effort has been made to produce a finish that kind of "follows" all kind of lightning instead of being revealing in unflattering settings. One huge problem I have with foundations in general is that you kind of have to choose if you want a radiant, oil spill, gloss kind of finish or a matte, flat, joker-like mask. "Normal" is not really easy to come by. But GA Luminous Silk knows that real skin is unique, equally radiant and matte, and emulates this perfectly. Even on top of my greasy, pilling sunscreen it managed to look great, while my Nars Velvet Matte fell apart like a birthday cake thrown into a wall.

The shades are numbered, I kind of don't like that. Number 5 that I use is radically different from the 5.5 for example, making matching a bit of a hassle. Take your time; it's well worth it. On a final note - If you are interested in the difference between the Luminous Silk and the Lasting Silk, check out the wonderful Karima McKimmie and her blog, shamelessfripperies.com, she also have a great YouTube channel that is a must see for MUA members around the world.

on 3/8/2014 9:47:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Tan, Warm

THE FORMULA:
Firstly, this is a good pick for DRY SKIN, not recommended for oily skin whatsoever. LIGHT MEDIUM to BUILDABLE coverage. This foundation is runny, but not so runny that it becomes difficult to apply. It is water based so it does not have an emollient like consistecy, however it is good for dry skin. LOOKS BEAUTIFULLY LUMINOUS WHEN FIRST APPLIED. I was going through a period of very dry flakey skin when I purchased this foundation to wear at my sisters wedding. It applied very well without catching onto the dry patches, but I did apply a very rich night cream the day before the wedding to ensure that my makeup does not cling to my dry skin. Overall the formula is GOOD but at $90 Australian Dollars I had expected it to be faultless.

THE COLOR RANGE:
Giorgio Armani uses a very odd numbering system (4, 5, 5.75, 6, 6.5, 7 ect) and is very confusing because the numbers do not necessary indicate the darkness of the shades in ascending order. I found shade 5 to be darker than shade 6. There is also no particular order for undertones. For instances, 5 is pink, 6 is yellow, 6.5 is reddish, 7 is pink. It is best to head to the counter and get a professional colormatch. Mine was spot on, I am SHADE 6.5 and for reference I wear STROMBOLI in Nars Sheer Glow NC35-40 in Mac Studio Tech and TAWNY in Estee Lauder Double Wear.

APPLICATION:
I applied this with a BEAUTYBLENDER. Because I have dry skin this was the best option for me. Ideally it should be buffed into the skin with a Kabuki if your skin can tolerate it. I would not recommend applying this with your fingers simply because this will result in a very sheer application.

STAYING POWER:
This foundation is definitely not long wearing. It will start to fade in the T-zone and breakdown after 5 HOURS MAX

THE VERDICT:
I will not buy this again mainly due to poor staying power and $90 AUD price tag!!!!

Check out my blog for more info and pics: http://arwaselixir.blogspot.com.au/

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

After much deliberation and trial, I've finally come to a conclusion regarding this product. Here are my major issues with this product. These issues result in this product receiving a 1 star review, as opposed to an average 3 star review.

A.) It's over-priced, with no luxurious ingredients to justify the cost. Additionally, the formula is very heavily fragranced and contains several skin irritants.The formula manages to include silicone and alcohol (two known irritants) within its first few ingredients.

B.) Beyond the problematic price and merely average packaging, Luminous Silk doesn't wear well. I'd excuse poor ingredients and heavy fragrance if the foundation provided a flawless finish, but even with a primer, clear skin, and proper moisturization, it separated within 3 hours, and became incredibly dry. (I use a silicone-free primer, which may not react well with the heavy silicone formula of Luminous Silk, but I have two other foundations in my rotation that contain silicone and function fine with the same primer.)

C.) Adding insult to injury, this product causes breakouts on otherwise clear skin. I have sensitive, fair skin, and occasionally experience breakouts from products. Often these breakouts are excusable, as the products are otherwise exceptional. With Luminous Silk, however, the breakout becomes unacceptable as the product offers only an exorbitant price, poor finish, short wear, and sub-par ingredient list,

In conclusion, this is by far the worst foundation I have ever used, with no redeemable qualities. As much as I detest literally throwing away 60 dollars, Luminous Silk will be entering my trash bin shortly. (Neiman Marcus has an incredibly restrictive return policy.)

Hope this review helps!

on 8/4/2012 1:23:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk Foundation in 5
- expensive at $59
- luminous finish
- light to medium coverage
- great clean, fresh scent
- no spf, photographs well
- doesn't oxidize
- unfortunately, poor lasting power on my very oily skin

In my blog post I swatched it next to the following:
MAC Studio Finish Concealer NW20
DiorSkin Forever Flawless Perfection Fusion Wear Makeup SPF 25 in 020
Chanel Vitalumiere Aqua SPF 15 B20 Beige Tendre
NARS Sheer Glow in Light 4 / Deauville (the pump was purchased separately)

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

This has been my go-to foundation for years now, although admittedly that's probably a lot out of habit and the fact that it continues to receive so much media hype. Overall I'd say it's a good product, but there's definitely room for improvement, especially considering the price.

PROS:
- The best thing about this foundation is that it starts off as sheer coverage but is incredibly buildable. Keeping most of my skin under sheer coverage, where my natural coloring, freckles etc can still peek through, and only adding extra coverage where I need it, gives the illusion of having naturally great skin. I prefer a very natural 'no makeup' makeup look, so this is ideal for me. This is definitely not a foundation for those who want medium or heavy coverage over most of the face, or for creating a glamorous airbrushed instagram-style look. Use a brush or beauty blender to 'push' (not swipe) more product into the skin where you need more coverage.

- It's a dewy finish, which is great for dry skin.

- I find that it lasts a long time. I repurchase about every 6 months or so.

CONS:
- The worst thing about this foundation is the shade range. When I don't apply self-tanner even the lightest shade (2) is too dark and too yellow. In fact, I find that most of the shades run warm, even those that are supposedly neutral. Moreover, the entire system is confusing: rather than just having neutral, cool and warm shades, there are "neutral", "peachy", "rosy", "warm" "golden" and "red" ones, and for this reason you can't assume that a higher number is necessarily a darker shade than a smaller number, which is ridiculous. For example, 3.75 is actually lighter than 3.5. I would recommend anyone buying this product for the first time to take a look at the Nordstrom website because they do a pretty good run-down of the shades (http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/giorgio-armani-luminous-silk-foundation/2853110), so you have an idea of what ones you need to swatch on yourself before you get to the counter.

- I don't personally like the smell.

- The packaging is nothing special.

- No SPF.

on 3/18/2017 9:30:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

This is by far the best foundation I have used, alongside with Urban Decay Naked Skin (and the discontinued Bourjois 123 Foudnation).

I have it in shades 3.0, which is my transitional shade (nc25) and 2.0, which is my winter shade (between nc15 and nc20).

The shade 2.0 is a perfect neutral shade, slightly yellow (not a beige).

The foundation works very Well on My dehydrated oily skin.

I prep my skin with a light moisturizer (Caudalie sorbet, the light pink tube). I apply the foundation with a moist sponge (Real Techniques works better than Beauty Blender - quite a mistery, really). Using a buffing brush gives a similar outcome, but the sponge is definitely a better option. That way, the pores are better covered.

When I apply the foundation, my skin looks really perfect and even.

On top I put Hourglass compact powder, but it doesn't make a difference - whichever powder is on top, it looks natural and soft (Mac loose setting powder, Guerlain Perls in Medium).

The foundation lasts really long. I tested it on all weather conditions, and there is only a difference with my oiliness but despite, the foundation sits well. I get 8 hours without retouching. By 12 hours, the foundation slightly sinks into pores, but still looks good and wearable.

I highly recommend both of the foundations!

The match is on point, the foundation is longwearing, doesn't dry my skin out and doesn't make my skin oilier than usual. It's the best I came across.

Mac Prolongwear nc20 - slightly too orange
Estée Lauder DW 1w2 - slightly too orange
Burberry Velvet Ochre - slightly darker
Lancôme 24 Idole Beige Albatre - slightly darker and too orange (match with first two above)

Urban Decay 2.0 Naked
Bourjois 123 foundation 52
Giorgio Armani Luminous 2.0

I'm a foundation junkie and this my favourite till now.
I have oily/combination skin and I hesitated a long time before purchasing this as I'm more into "mattifying" and I was afraid that the "glow" aspect of this foundation would translate as more "shine" on my face. Boy was I wrong. It does really make you luminous--like you have a light inside you that radiates out of your face. I also feared the coverage (and i' m into coverage) would not be good but it's excellent, much better than a lot of heavier foundations I have tried. It blends really well (I use Beautyblender) sponge. It is seamless, non-caking, lightweight with good coverage, and it just makes you glow... and very good colour selection for yellow-based skin-tone like mine. Love, love, love it.

on 1/20/2017 8:49:00 PM

Holy Grail and im very hard to please. This is a beautiful foundation, my only regret is not finding it sooner.

Its a medium coverage but can be built up to full or sheared out. It glides on like a dream, it has lots of playtime so it doesnt dry too quickly, its so easy to blend, doesn't sit in pores or fine lines, I can put it under my eyes and dont have to worry about creasing, it covers all my redness as I get dry rosacea on my cheeks, it doesn't cling to dry patches or look cakey. Its luminous but slightly matt at the same time if that makes sense. Its also very neutral toned.

I usually wear Double wear foundation and I do really love it but I find that it clings to my dry skin if I dont prime extremly well and even then it can look cakey and sometimes it settles into lines and can show up dry patches so ive been on the hunt for something similar but more suited to my skin type and Luminous silk is definitely it. I have a feeling it might not suit very oily skin types so id say get a sample if youre unsure, it seems like its more suited to normal/dry skin.

Its expensive but worth it in my opinion and anyway its only 5 euro more than Double wear so I dont feel im spending much more than I usually would anyway.

Edit to add, I took a bad reaction to a new cleanser recently, I rarely get spots but this new cleanser left me with a rash on my forehead, painful cystic spots on my temples and chin and little red spots every where else, it also left my skin very dry, Luminous Silk was a god send for me, it covered all my redness and evened my skin tone with two pumps without causing any further irritation. I love this foundation!!

on 5/9/2014 4:23:00 AM

I am so glad I tried a free sample of this product before paying a hefty $92 on it. This needs to be be relabelled as a tinted foundation, not a medium coverage foundation. I tried building it up with no success it seems it absorbed into my skin and dissappeared. I completely agree with previous posts on clinging to dry patches, I had a small break out on my chin that was made to look more accentuated and looked and felt really dry. I honestly cannot believe that this is a high end product and so expensive. If i had managed to build up the coverage I would go through a whole bottle in a month. I also noticed the women wearing it at the counter looked really orangy yellow in certain lighting aswell, which did put me off, but none the less I gave it a try and it is a big fail in my book!!!!!!