Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk Foundation

Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk Foundation

3.9

General Review :

LSF has become my staple foundation when I want to look luminous/ glowy yet natural for weekends. It doesn't break me out or clog my pores providing that I wash my face thoroughly and remove all traces of residue at night.

+s: Coverage; Texture; Finish

-s: Price; Color

Skin Tone: Asian; Warm LLL/ FFF; Yellow-Olive Undertone. (MAC NC25-30)

Skin Type: Oily; Acne-Prone; with occasional flakes, some acne scars and GINORMOUS pores. =P

Other Foundations I've used/ tried:
Scott Barnes Cream Fdtn;
Shiseido Powdery Fdtn;
Stila ILF, IPF, Liquid (old);
YSL Teint Matte Purete

Application: Application is KEY when using LSF. For fuller coverage, you can use a regular foundation brush. I myself love using it with MAC 187 or a sponge for sheerer coverage.

Color: I find #5 to be too light and #5.5 a little too pink. So I have to mix #4 and #6 (both more yellow-based) to get a perfect macth.

Coverage: Medium; depends on application. It's layer-able for more coverage and can also be applied more sheer-ly. Very good at covering up scars, won't puddle into pores or emphasize flakes.

Finish: LSF provides a very natural, luminous/ glowy finish without being shimmery or looking greasy. A fine dusting of loose powder on top makes me look glowy from within.

Packinging: Comes in a sanitary, air-tight pump bottle. Though it can be difficult to control how much you want to dispense.

Price: It's expensive but worth it for me.

Staying Power: Although it has none oil-controlling property whatsoever, I find that it stays through the day pretty well. Doesn't melt off, crease or vanish. However, I do need to blot and touch up my super oily nose at times.

Texture/ Consistency: Not too thick, not too runny. Glides on perfectly and very blendable.

Other products I like from the brand: I love GA's lipsticks, powder blushes and lipshimmers. Starlash is pretty good a mascara as well.

I understand that foudation, like skincare and mascara, is pretty much a YMMV product. I do hope this review would be helpful for you though! =)
continued >>

on 3/29/2008 10:04:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I'm going to give you the most accurate review of this foundation for those of you who have oily skin. This foundation looks great for the first ten minutes you have it on, but makes you look even more oily than your natural skin after a little while. I literally had to blot my face every hour, which left my face with weird streaks by the end of the day. Also I noticed that the "micro-filling" technology made my pores more distinctive, because tiny little particles of foundation settled inside my pores after a few hours of wearing it. Colors also run a little bit too pink, even though most of the numbers say that they have "warm" undertone. I tried #4, 4.5, 5, and 5.5, and all of these did not have the golden tone I was looking for. I was right in between 4.5 and 5.5. When I wore 4.5, it was too ashy on me (too opaque, not radiant at all). When I wore 5.5, it was too orange and dark. This foundation is absolutely awful for people like me who have oily skin with yellow/gold undertone.

on 2/15/2016 4:12:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

I have oily skin with big pores around my nose and cheek areas, and I'm 34 YO. I don't have major things to cover like acne scars or melasma; except for my pores, I have overall healthy skin. I got a sample and really like how it made my skin looked. Specially in photographs. Then I caved in and got the whole bottle.

As I'm getting older I notice my foundations are sinking on my pores, which they seem to get bigger with age, and this is one problem I have/had with this foundation too, it sinks on my pores. I tried different primers, and even changed my routine to make my pores shrink, but still it would continue to sink on my pores. Finally I found a primer that helped me (lancome la base pro pore eraser) and with the correct primer and application (I use the beauty blender), it makes my skin look amazing, in person and pics.
Unfortunately I can't tell you how long it lasts since I use the UD all nighter, I will use it one day the foundation by itself and report back.

It leaves my skin not flat matte neither super dewy, it gives me that "my skin but better" look. I always carry bloating papers with me, but I notice I don't need to bloat that often with this foundation, even it is not for oil control. I don't use it everyday, because I like to rotate my foundations, so I can't tell you if it would make me break out or not since I don't use it more than 3 days in a row, but so far, it hasn't hurt my skin. Also, I would say is medium coverage for me, but I think it can be buildable (is that a word?) to get that full coverage look. I like this foundation very very much, and will continue to buy in the future.

I got the shade 4. For reference I'm
- NC20-25 in MAC
- 120 Soft Sand in MUFE HD foundation
- Shade 20 Light in Sephora 10 HR Wear Foundation
- 120 Classic ivory in Maybelline Fit Me matte & poreless
- 146 Nude Beige in L'oreal Visible Lift Serum Absolute
- Sand Beige in Revlon Colorstay For oily skin... you get the idea :)

on 10/11/2013 5:23:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I never felt the need to spend $60 on foundation when there are so may good ones by Revlon, Lancome, Clinique. However after a year or more of hearing about this on youtube and makeup blogs (not to mention celebrities and a few "real housewives") I decided to give it a whirl. The colors are weird and make no sense. For example 5.5 is darker than 6.0 and alot of the shades seem either too brown, too yellow etc. I read on some other websites that this foundation is *SO* amazing that many people are willing to buy TWO COLORS and mix them (ok who wants to have to mix?). The 5 is as close to my face as I can get, I wouldn't call it a *perfect* match but it's darn close. It applies very sheer, you're almost like "what's the hype?", then you set it with your powder, etc. When you are done, this does NOT look like makeup AT ALL. Someone called it "your skin, but better" and that's the truth. I am so pleased with this foundation, it says perfect on my oily skin ALL DAY (unheard of). I don't have to blot or reapply powder. After 10 hrs of wear on a hot, sunny Florida day I touched up with my MUFE HD powder and it looked like I just did my makeup FRESH. This does not settle into fine lines or wear off in the crevices near your nose, etc. Talk about a poreless, airbrushed face!! To be honest at $60 I was hoping to dislike it and return it for some MAC eyeshadows and stick to my $23 Clinique foundation. Nope, HG all the way. And yes, now I am one of those people wondering if I should get a 2nd bottle a pinch darker to mix when I need to LOL!! Try it but be prepared to fall in love and consider a $60 foundation a necessity because you won't go back to your old foundation.
Note: Today just for the heck of it, I decided to use some of my old foundation (that I used to love)....ughhh I looked so gross! You can't use anything else once you've tried this!

on 7/25/2006 6:43:00 PM

My original review of this was in 2002 when this foundation was first introduced. I deleted that one (though still a good rating at 4) so I could re-write and post my newest experience with this makeup.

I used this makeup for a few years and then went on to Laura Mercier foundation. LM is still great, but I recently was attracted back to this line in seeing Summer and Fall 2006 colors. I switched to Laura Mercier as I found the Oil-free foundation to be superb, and didn't seem to settle into my pores on my nose/cheeks like GA's LS sometimes did. I got a GA makeover recently and spoke to Tim Quinn (National Makeup Artist and who works with numerous celebrities and models) in-depth about how to best apply this foundation.

First and foremost, you need to put this makeup on cleansed and moisterized skin (use products for your skin type). If you are oily and put this on an unwashed face - it will become too dewy and start sliding off! I used to not wash my face in the morning (just splashed with water and used toner) and noticed my makeup would disappear or melt off my skin by mid-day. Let your moisterizer set and absorb for a minute or two. Also, important is using a primer (again for your skintype) to hold the makeup in place. IF you are oily, skip the moisterizer (or just puton drier areas only) and just go to the primer. MAC and LM make good primers. My favorites, although expensive, is Sisley Phytoblanc tensor immediate lift (for normal to oily skin) as it gives a nice matte finish, smooths slight wrinkles and impefections, and holds my makeup in place for 10 hours! Again, it's pricey at something like $155! Another option (though not available in the US) is GA's Modelling or Fresh Modelling makeup base. The regular base is for "all skins" and the "Fresh" is for normal to oily. They are sold in Japan. I managed to get some samples off ebay (Fresh version) and it really holds makeup in place and gives a nice "glowy" matte finish for hours.... This is important since Summer is here and it's hot/humid. After applying primer and letting it sit a minute, take one (two pumps at the very most) of LS foundation and squirt on the palm of your hand. Take your GA blender brush and dip it into the product and start with one side of your face at a time. You can use your fingers or a dry sponge, but I found the blender brush to be superb in giving that "air brushed" seamless look. Blend in downward and outward motions. Do the same with the other side of your face, nose, chin. Blend everything out. Less is more. The artist stressed the importance of not using too much product and blend, blend, blend. If you want a little more bronzy look - apply a touch of Fluid Sheer on top or with the foundation. I apply #11, a light beigy bronze, on my cheekbones and sides of my face, and #2 (champagne color) on the upper cheekbones and eye area. Apply GA's microfil powder on top for a for a glowy lasting matte finish (or compact powder for matte finish). With these techniques, I found my makeup lasts all day - doesn't cake up or crease.

on 6/20/2013 6:45:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Kinky, Medium

OMG!!! Why, WHY WHY don't I ever learn!? PLEASE NOTE that although a foundation may state "dermatologically tested" blah blah etc. it can still contain HIGHLY pore-clogging ingredients and is very likely to cause cosmetic acne in some people. I am specifically referring to the ingredient "Polyglyceryl-4 isostearate" which is the ester of isostearic acid (rated as severely comedogenic) and polyglycerin-4. After reading all the reviews, I (kind of comfortingly, which is sick I know) came to the conclusion my experience was the same as many others, particularly ynnej's - basically broke out ALL OVER (particularly the places that I had sweated throughout the day more... interesting) in little red bumps that turned into bigger bumps and I break out rarely; 1 blemish a month if that. Despite this I wanted so much to like it (because the finish really is that of "luminous silk") that I thought my first bottle must have "gone off" in some way i.e. past its expiration date. So I decided to buy and try it again, hoping that this time it would be different and the bottle wouldn't be added to my ever-growing cosmetics graveyard. Unfortunately the exact same thing happened, hence my now late-night outpouring of emotion on MUA. I'm so thankful for the internet, so at least I can now research ingredients and their find out comedogenic-rating so I know what to look out for and avoid in future, rather than simply keeping testing things out and wrecking my complexion. Just wanted to post this review to hopefully stop others out there doing the same...

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

Eurgh. I tried this both with and without a primer (I use only silicon based ones) and oh how intensely I disliked it. This sat on the surface of my dry skin in a thin oleaginous layer, occasionally pooling wetly into pores and crevices I never knew I had. And in full sunlight, my facial surfaces came alive in the most alarming way with a thousand dancing sparkles of visible glitter... No. Just no. And no and no and NO.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Overview: General Parameters When Choosing A New Makeup

I certainly don't profess to be a makeup/foundation guru, but I respectfully believe there are a few overall guidelines/tidbits that are valid that will be helpful in arriving at that "purrfect" makeup look.

Certain makeups are probably optimal within certain general parameters, but in the final analysis everyone should do their own trial/test assessment probably for at least two or three days to provide a valid overall comprehensive makeup assessment. From personal experience occasionally I've been much too hasty to approve of or to discount certain makeups. Skin chemistry, skin color/tone and complexion types vary from individual to individual. Read the numerous makeup reviews, therefore, but in the final analysis one needs to take the time and to have the patience to get it right for their specific complexion, skin color and skin chemistry etc. needs by performing one's very own makeup assessments.

Since my skin is mature I believe that a primer is essential. Despite the fact that according to others I have virtually flawless skin it's probably preferable to ascertain whether or not one needs a primer with or without oil with a particular makeup. After you choose the right color, consistency and brand of makeup ascertain whether or not you need to set it with powder. Trust me the foregoing types of applications make a difference often a decided difference in one's facial canvas.

After using a particular makeup for 15+ years that was discontinued I'm on a quest to try to choose a new makeup that's right for me. It isn't easy...haste makes waste...proverbial Rome wasn't built in a day...thus take your time, relax and in the end I'm cautiously optimistic you'll/we'll agree in the end it will definitely be worth it.

Context: In light of the fact that so many beauty/makeup/foundation experts and patrons rave about the Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk Makeup I felt as if I must at least try it. Since I previously used Sisley Transmat Beige Clair 0 for so many years which was naturally matte and not a long-lasting makeup, I remain unconvinced that I prefer a luminous makeup look. Why? One naturally glows during the day unless one powders/tampers down one’s makeup.

Pros: The Giorgio Armani palette color selection is outstanding. It should be noted that the palette colors span from 2 to 14, but it isn’t necessarily the lightest to the darkest shade in ascending numerical order. I first tried 3.75 which was too light and then I tried 4.75 which seems to be an ideal color for my particular complexion. Please check with your Giorgio Armani beauty advisor first to understand the color palette which is rather Byzantine. One may have to sample first-hand a few different color makeups, therefore, before one precisely matches one’s color requirements.

Cons: One does need to apply a primer otherwise the Giorgio Armani makeup will vanish. Plus, while I have normal skin with a tad oily “T” zone, and this makeup seems to be ideally suited for my skin type, I wouldn’t recommend this makeup for someone with oily skin.

Bottom line: While I truly find this makeup to be very satisfactory, for the time being I still remain unconvinced that this is my “Holy Grail” makeup. In light of my previous 15+ years of Sisley makeup use I perceive that I personally prefer a very light cream makeup to a liquid. Accordingly, therefore, at least for the time being I’m still testing various viable makeup alternatives. Laura Mercier is next on my list. Please stay tuned…

Jutta Hermine Hildegard Harden

PS...I've been at it daily for over six weeks and I still have yet to find a suitable alternative makeup to the Sisley Transmat Beige Clair 0 that was discontinued, but the liquid Giorgio Armani Luminous silk is definitely on my short list.

Parenthetically I wrote and called Armani in Dallas, Texas with the following and they were very hospitable and receptive and looking into it:

As a constructive suggestion I respectfully believe that
Armani needs to clarify and to be more proactively instructive
concerning the palette/color spectrum especially of its Armani Luminous
Silk Foundation not only on behalf of its customers/patrons, but also
for its beauty advisors. Why?

Usually the Armani foundation displays are separated into light versus
dark shades [left and right] which is a good/practical thing.
Conversely, however, a great deal of unnecessary confusion occurs when
the numbers corresponding to the colors from light to dark jump around.
How? For example, I tried the 3.75 and the color was too light. [I'm going to be re-trying again with a primer and powder] I then
tried 4.75 and the color of the foundation was close to coinciding with
my complexion, but not perfect. I then tried 4.5 logically thinking [or
so I thought] that the color/shade would be lighter than the 4.75, but
much to my surprise and to the surprise of the Armani beauty advisors
the color was actually darker!

To me it makes little or no sense, therefore, and the numerous Armani
beauty advisors that I've talked with are equally mystified. When I
inquired to see an Armani foundation color palette the Armani beauty
advisors indicated that they didn't have one or one didn't
exist. [Although I've seen a color palette on the Internet] Accordingly,
again I believe that both the Armani foundation customers/patrons and
the Armani beauty advisors would be much better served if Armani
developed one @ the point of sale.

I'm one of those that loves a foundation for a year or two, then finds something better and moves on (a "serial monogamist" foundation user, if you will). I was getting frustrated with the CdP fdns I was using (too heavy! too clogging!) that I decided to pop into a Nordies during a business trip and give it another try (I had used it years ago, but found the color match too difficult). While the MA wanted to match me to 5.5, I found it too pink, and while I am warm toned everywhere else, I need to tone down the pinker tendencies on my face due to retin-A use. I begged her to try some combos, and lo and behold, a combination of 5 and 5.75 is the PERFECT match. It's so easy to pump a little of each and adjust to my coloration accordingly. I find the formula to last all day with the GA primer, during cooler months. In extreme warm weather I use the Lasting Silk formula, but this LSF will also do. The effect is, as the name says, luminous, making my 47 year-old skin look so much younger. Coverage is very good on my not-so-even skin. This will be in continuous rotation, as I now realize ONE foundation doesn't suit me 24/7. I need a harem, and this one fits the bill.

I bough this after talking to a sales assistant who assured me Armani products are "recommended by dermatologists" and all use "superior' ingredients". This was music to my ears, having just suffered a 4 month period of allergy triggered eczema.

After doing a color match on me, she made up my entire face and at first, the finish was beautiful, I was impressed so bough this plus two other products (blusher and primer). By the time I got home however, my face was itchy, and by that night my ENTIRE face was red. After a careful reading of the ingredients list I was HORRIFIED to discover that Armani uses both limonene and linalool - these are cheap, well known irritants that are only added for the sake of fragrance. I was surprised that a premium brand such of this had resorted to such cheap and unnecessary ingredients. So much for "dermatologist recommended" and "superior" ingredients.... I think not!