Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk Foundation

Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk Foundation

4.3

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Overview: General Parameters When Choosing A New Makeup

I certainly don't profess to be a makeup/foundation guru, but I respectfully believe there are a few overall guidelines/tidbits that are valid that will be helpful in arriving at that "purrfect" makeup look.

Certain makeups are probably optimal within certain general parameters, but in the final analysis everyone should do their own trial/test assessment probably for at least two or three days to provide a valid overall comprehensive makeup assessment. From personal experience occasionally I've been much too hasty to approve of or to discount certain makeups. Skin chemistry, skin color/tone and complexion types vary from individual to individual. Read the numerous makeup reviews, therefore, but in the final analysis one needs to take the time and to have the patience to get it right for their specific complexion, skin color and skin chemistry etc. needs by performing one's very own makeup assessments.

Since my skin is mature I believe that a primer is essential. Despite the fact that according to others I have virtually flawless skin it's probably preferable to ascertain whether or not one needs a primer with or without oil with a particular makeup. After you choose the right color, consistency and brand of makeup ascertain whether or not you need to set it with powder. Trust me the foregoing types of applications make a difference often a decided difference in one's facial canvas.

After using a particular makeup for 15+ years that was discontinued I'm on a quest to try to choose a new makeup that's right for me. It isn't easy...haste makes waste...proverbial Rome wasn't built in a day...thus take your time, relax and in the end I'm cautiously optimistic you'll/we'll agree in the end it will definitely be worth it.

Context: In light of the fact that so many beauty/makeup/foundation experts and patrons rave about the Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk Makeup I felt as if I must at least try it. Since I previously used Sisley Transmat Beige Clair 0 for so many years which was naturally matte and not a long-lasting makeup, I remain unconvinced that I prefer a luminous makeup look. Why? One naturally glows during the day unless one powders/tampers down one’s makeup.

Pros: The Giorgio Armani palette color selection is outstanding. It should be noted that the palette colors span from 2 to 14, but it isn’t necessarily the lightest to the darkest shade in ascending numerical order. I first tried 3.75 which was too light and then I tried 4.75 which seems to be an ideal color for my particular complexion. Please check with your Giorgio Armani beauty advisor first to understand the color palette which is rather Byzantine. One may have to sample first-hand a few different color makeups, therefore, before one precisely matches one’s color requirements.

Cons: One does need to apply a primer otherwise the Giorgio Armani makeup will vanish. Plus, while I have normal skin with a tad oily “T” zone, and this makeup seems to be ideally suited for my skin type, I wouldn’t recommend this makeup for someone with oily skin.

Bottom line: While I truly find this makeup to be very satisfactory, for the time being I still remain unconvinced that this is my “Holy Grail” makeup. In light of my previous 15+ years of Sisley makeup use I perceive that I personally prefer a very light cream makeup to a liquid. Accordingly, therefore, at least for the time being I’m still testing various viable makeup alternatives. Laura Mercier is next on my list. Please stay tuned…

Jutta Hermine Hildegard Harden

PS...I've been at it daily for over six weeks and I still have yet to find a suitable alternative makeup to the Sisley Transmat Beige Clair 0 that was discontinued, but the liquid Giorgio Armani Luminous silk is definitely on my short list.

Parenthetically I wrote and called Armani in Dallas, Texas with the following and they were very hospitable and receptive and looking into it:

As a constructive suggestion I respectfully believe that
Armani needs to clarify and to be more proactively instructive
concerning the palette/color spectrum especially of its Armani Luminous
Silk Foundation not only on behalf of its customers/patrons, but also
for its beauty advisors. Why?

Usually the Armani foundation displays are separated into light versus
dark shades [left and right] which is a good/practical thing.
Conversely, however, a great deal of unnecessary confusion occurs when
the numbers corresponding to the colors from light to dark jump around.
How? For example, I tried the 3.75 and the color was too light. [I'm going to be re-trying again with a primer and powder] I then
tried 4.75 and the color of the foundation was close to coinciding with
my complexion, but not perfect. I then tried 4.5 logically thinking [or
so I thought] that the color/shade would be lighter than the 4.75, but
much to my surprise and to the surprise of the Armani beauty advisors
the color was actually darker!

To me it makes little or no sense, therefore, and the numerous Armani
beauty advisors that I've talked with are equally mystified. When I
inquired to see an Armani foundation color palette the Armani beauty
advisors indicated that they didn't have one or one didn't
exist. [Although I've seen a color palette on the Internet] Accordingly,
again I believe that both the Armani foundation customers/patrons and
the Armani beauty advisors would be much better served if Armani
developed one @ the point of sale.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Grey, Wavy, Fine

I bought this in shade 5 which matched my skin ok. I have dry skin and tried it with and without a primer or moisturizer. I applied it with a thick special brush and it blended well and it was light on my skin, I didn't look like I was made up but then again I never got what I would call a luminous look either. It's an elegant foundation but was too matte for me. THEN I bought some L'Oréal Lumi cushion and a bottle of True match Lumi liquid. Well kids, these are really just as fabulous. In fact, I returned the Armani and am keeping the True Match. BTW - I bought the Lancome Cushion foundation last month and the Loreal is absolutely as good. I must have 18 foundations still in my makeup bags. I am always on the prowl for the perfect one for me.

on 3/23/2016 9:36:00 AM

Ive been using for about two years now. It's the best foundation out of the many ( YSL, Sisley, La Prairie, Chantecaille... ) that I've used. I get many compliments on how great my skin looks using this foundation.

on 1/3/2016 6:56:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I tried this after reading a number of twitter feeds from MUAs about using this for older clients. Closing in on 60 but with oily skin, I figured it was worth a try. I had switched from Chanel Lift (don't remember the exact name) and had gone to using Revision Intellishade Matte TM. I do still like Revision but it doesn't have much coverage.

I had to go to another town to find a GA counter but it was worth it. My match was 4.25. It felt nice from the start and even without primer (over some Olay serum) it glides on and stays put. To me, it floats over wrinkles and pores in a way that several Chanel and other foundations did not (Chanel Vita Aqua whatever was horrible on me, croneing me out totally).

Transfer is minimal. I don't really notice it when it's on, which means I'm not seeing a lot of oxidation or settling during the day. I do set it with a dusting of translucent powder but could probably get away without that step.

The samples given were awesome...the luminous blush in 300 was a perfect addition to the foundation, 3-4 dots sheering out and giving a healthy flush. I'm also liking the mascara as well.

No breakouts, no settling in oily pore pools, no turning funny colors, it doesn't pill when I add liquid blush, and a match to my slightly pink-neutral super-fair tone. It is pricey but I've easily had $62 worth of DS foundation sitting around at any one time, so I'm happy.

on 1/2/2016 11:40:00 AM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I am returning this. It's touted as being luminous - it's not. It's way too much coverage for my taste and not luminous at all. Shows all my pores. Almost looks cakey on me. Not a look I strive for. Sorry GA

on 10/4/2015 12:19:00 PM

I wanted to love this foundation; after spending $62 on it, who wouldn't want to love it? The coverage was fine for me, and it didn't settle into my pores or oxidize as other reviewers experienced. However, my normal skin felt oily, and worst of all, I broke out. Big time. With horrible pimples on my cheeks, chin, and forehead, and I haven't broken out since high school forty years ago.

Anytime I try another foundation I'm reminded that this the best, most flattering foundation, and I don't think there's a close second. My skin glows and looks considerably younger. My #1 choice for many years.

on 6/9/2015 4:04:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Silver, Wavy, Medium

Ahhhhh. Finally...an HG! This foundation is wonderful for my dry skin, which is not in bad shape after 57 years of wear. Although it does not have sunscreen, I use a moisturizer with sunscreen, and then a Smashbox or Chanel primer underneath the foundation. It goes on smoothly using either my fingers or an RT foundation brush. It's held up well in cold, dry weather and on hot, humid days, too. I also use a prescription retinoid 1-2 times per week. While I liked Chanel Vitalumiere Aqua, it's fallen to a solid second place now that Armani has appeared. Pricey? Yes. Bliss? Absolutely.

I'm 60 and had been using Bare Minerals for years, until a celebrity client of my daughter's gave her a large amount of "freebies" sent to her. So, I tried this foundation that was almost a perfect match. Wow! My skin, which is already in pretty good shape, looked sooo smooth and soft! I went to a department store to get an exact match. It is well worth the money- after all, this is your FACE- it's what everybody sees! Why not have it looking as good as possible! It goes on smoothly, even with your fingers or a make-up brush. Due to it's cost, I'll still use my mineral foundation and just use this wonderful foundation for certain occasions.

on 3/26/2014 11:35:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Red, Curly, Medium

Love, love, love this foundation! Smooth, creamy, glides on, feels light, does not sit in my pores or lines, but covers my redness from rosacea. Everything I've been wanting in a foundation! I've tried quite a few lately (Lorac, Urban Decay, Dior, Tom Ford) and sent them all back. This is the one! Now my skin looks like it has a beautiful glow! Finally!