Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk Foundation

3.7

on 1/2/2018 6:06:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

I will always repurchase this product (unless they change the formula of course). It feels light but offers good coverage and makes the skin feel like silk. I love the natural finish and the fact that it stays on all day. I love that it does not have SPF (seriously, all these products with SPF in them? Do NOT put any chemicals on your face that you don't have to. If you're going to be out in the sun all day, fine, apply sunscreen. If you're going to be sitting inside all day, you do not need to wear a moisturiser or foundation with SPF. I can't stress enough how bad this is for your skin) Anyhoo! Because it is SPF free, I don't react which is nice (and rare).
The price is steep, the packaging looks nice but I feel that I don't get every last bit of product out (which I'd like to do after spending $100 on it).
It may sit differently on different skin types though.

on 12/6/2017 4:04:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

So I finally bit the bullet and picked this up during the Sephora VIB sale (reg. $70 CAD). I have dry skin, I like more natural looking foundations (i.e. not full coverage), and based off of all the youtube love, I thought this would be ideal for my skin. Result: meh.

I debated returning it, but I debated too long and missed the window lol. I purchased shade 4.0 which is a tad light for my NC25 skin tone, but since it has light coverage, it's easy to work with it in spite of that. Also the shade numbers are really odd. 3.5 is actually darker than 4.0? So keep that in mind if you're purchasing online.

There is a scent to this, but I didn't notice any strong fragrance so I'm not bothered at all by it. The coverage is quite light but buildable, so it's customize-able I suppose in that sense. I haven't tried it in flash photography or video (which is where this is supposed to be amazing), but i'm not a youtuber and I don't walk around with papparazzi following me so I'm not sure if investing in this is worth the odd time that I end up taking photos (assuming it looks amazing as everyone else says). It's not incredibly long wearing but it's not a big deal for me because i always use a setting spray.

It doesn't look bad, but it doesn't look $70 foundation good.

I would not repurchase and for the price, I would not recommend.

on 11/21/2017 10:36:00 AM

Holy. Grail. If you like a light-medium coverage, radiant foundation, and don't mind shelling out some cash, this is for you. Yes, it's crazy expensive so I can understand if you don't want to shell out for this. Def not for my full coverage queens, and not for anyone looking for matte coverage, but there is a reason this stuff is cult status. It basically just makes my skin look like a better version of itself. I am slightly oily in the t-zone and I just make sure to use a mattifying primer in those oily spots. I am constantly trying new foundations in search of the perfect ones, but this is the only one that has found a permanent place in my collection. I keep 3 different colors at all times and mix depending on the time of year. Just be careful of pairing this with a heavier concealer because I find it breaks easily and leaves a line of demarcation where it's blended. If you're looking for a budget dupe, I love the L'oreal True Match Lumi (which I use on clients to mimic this, without having to buy $60 foundation in numerous colors).

on 11/19/2017 8:16:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I went 10 years without buying liquid foundation. I have light cool toned skin, but not 001 cool toned. Foundations pull yellow very easily on my skin. Most foundation lines only formulate the palest cool tone as an actual pink based foundation, and beyond that just get progressively warmer/yellower. I don't care if yellow counteracts to "neutralize" my pink undertones - I want my face to match my neck, and my makeup to look like my natural skin. Luminous silk 4.75 is the first foundation I've ever found that matches my skin perfectly. It's light to medium buildable coverage, no scent, blends out well with a beauty blender. Very happy.

on 10/29/2017 2:46:00 PM

I recently purchased a sample of this foundation and finally tried it today. The texture was lovely and went on very smooth with a dewy finish. It is light but buildable coverage. I love how it made my skin look and it felt like I was wearing nothing at all. Around four hours in, unfortunately my eyelids started turning pink/red and my mouth started getting itchy. I have read that some people were having reactions to this and hoped that I wouldn't be the same. I am sad because this looks gorgeous on the skin but clearly there are some ingredients that are causing allergies in a wide variety of people. I won't be using it again.

on 10/29/2017 12:48:00 PM

I feel compelled to update my original review about this product and the sensitivities it caused, because after reading the latest reviews on top of mine, some users have reported itchiness.

Overall i'd like to thank this product and Giorgio Armani. Although it gave me a nightmarish allergic reaction - redness, burning & a patch of about 50 closely clustered whiteheads on both cheeks - it helped me to better understand my skin, identity my allergies and educate myself more about ingredients in cosmetic and skincare products.

Basically i got tired of breaking out from new products so I started a spreadsheet listing what i've used and their common ingredients (https://imgur.com/a/Atzql). Two common triggers across troublemaker products were LIMONENE and LINALOOL. Both of them are essential oils - lemon/orange and lavender in that order, and while essential oils are natural, what is not commonly known is that they are also skin allergy triggers. They have no skincare benefits and are added purely for fragrance purposes.

LIMONENE
SEE: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orange_oil

"The limonene which is the main component of the oil is a mild irritant, as it dissolves protective skin oils. Limonene and its oxidation products are skin irritants, and limonene-1,2-oxide (formed by aerial oxidation) is a known skin sensitizer. Most reported cases of irritation have involved long-term industrial exposure to the pure compound, e.g. during degreasing or the preparation of paints. However a study of patients presenting dermatitis showed that 3% were sensitized to limonene. Limonene has been observed to cause cancer in male rats, by reacting with α2u-globulin, which is not produced by female rats. There is no evidence for carcinogenicity or genotoxicity in humans. The IARC classifies d-limonene under Class 3: not classifiable as to its carcinogenicity to humans.[9] Limonene is also flammable.[10]"

P.S Limonene can also pop a balloon in one second

LINALOOL

"Linalool can be absorbed by inhalation of its aerosol and by oral intake or skin absorption, potentially causing irritation, pain and allergic reactions. Linalool is used as a scent in 60–80% of perfumed hygiene products and cleaning agents including soaps, detergents, shampoos, and lotions.[4] It is also used as a chemical intermediate. One common downstream product of linalool is vitamin E. In addition, linalool is used by pest professionals as a flea, fruit fly and cockroach insecticide."

_______________________

I'm no longer angered nor surprised that an established company like Giorgio Armani is adding these cheap and irritating ingredients in their luxury-priced products, because a lot of companies do as well in this day and age. As consumers who want to protect our skin and give it only the best, we just have to be more discerning, educated and responsible for what we put on it.

That said, not everyone is sensitive to Limonene and Linalool so i hope this review can help those with sensitive skin - please do get a sample or patch test before going full-face.

In closing, if i hadn't experienced an allergic reaction, i don't think much of this foundation in terms of wear-time nor coverage. It wasn't terrible, just average performing and the best thing about it was just about the aesthically pleasing packaging.

on 10/26/2017 1:28:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

I didn't want to like this. I've been using drugstore foundation for the last 3 years but received a sample of this to see if the hype was worth it. My primary issue is PIH/PIE and mild textural problems caused by cystic acne on my cheeks. I don't have many issues in my t-zone or neck, so I don't apply a full-face of foundation and conceal only where needed. The finish of this is like a second skin, and provided great coverage even with a small dab of product. I like it far, far more than my Revlon Colorstay, which is too cool and gives me a flatter, matte finish - I will likely grit my teeth and hand over my credit card to purchase this foundation once my Colorstay runs out!

Pros:
Decent match for my undertones (yellow-olive)
Fluid, thin texture that's very easy to apply
Medium, buildable coverage
Decent staying power on my oily skin
Didn't irritate my sensitive skin, and I used this a few days post-peel

Cons:
Makes me extremely shiny, especially in my t-zone
Texture is slightly sticky and doesn't play well with my oilier areas

on 9/12/2017 12:57:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Sadly this foundation is oxidizing on my oily skin.... however I did go get myself a shade lighter- the 4.0.
When doing the "Wayne Goss translucent powder trick", and a couple of touch ups, this foundation lasts all day (12 hours +).
And I love that this foundation causes no flashback... just wore it at my cousins wedding- and I looked flawless in photos :)
I've always been using "flat-matte", longwear foundations like Estee Lauder double wear, and Macs pro longwear, so I didn't really believe in the hype around this foundation, now I do- it is truly amazing :)

The only thing keeping me from making this my everyday foundation is the price-tag :(

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

Ok. Most over rated foundation ever. I dont get how people like this - it breaks on my skin like no other foundation I have ever used. Maybe it needs a ton of skin prep - which i have no time for. For the price, I dont believe this delivers any value - except the fact that it looks amazing in pictures. Maybe it has some good light reflecting properties - but when u see it face to face, its a weird cakey look. What a disappointment !

on 7/30/2017 11:35:00 AM

I've worn this about six years and it is my absolute favorite. It gives me an awesome airbrushed glowy skin and never breaks me out. Actually this is one of the rarest foundations I can even wear without getting acne. (for real, I can not wear anything from Loreal,Maybelline;Dior,Chanel,MAC,Charlotte Tilbury etc.!) I would like to test new foundations all the time but can't because of their ingredients. So this is my HG. This gives medium coverage and lasts all day with a help of a Smashbox light primer.I do have to blot several times a day because I have combo skin,but it is not a problem for me.