CLARINS Gelee Auto Bronzant Express - Self-Tanning Instant Gel

Gelee Auto Bronzant Express - Self-Tanning Instant Gel

3.8

on 4/1/2018 11:51:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I love the color results! Nice subtle color that didn't look fake and lasted about 3 days. I applied with my hands and afterwards washed my hands with regular hand soap and didn't notice any staining. I also didn't notice any color transfer to my sheets or clothing. It did seem to take a long time to soak in, like 20 - 30 mins, before my skin didn't feel tacky. It's expensive for a self-tan product, but if you buy Clarins products then it's about what you'd expect to pay. The only thing I really couldn't tolerate was the smell; it's very strong at first and to me is a combination of strong perfume and tanning chemical. I have found other products I like just as much, with a more pleasant smell and much lower cost.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

I said yes to repurchasing this product but with hesitation (I wish there were an option for that) because of the price tag in comparison to the amount of product.
Clarins is known for their self tanners and this one lives up to the hype.
If you can get past that horrible self tanner smell and the stickiness, this product gives a nice subtle tan that doesn't look orange.
The smell does dissipate and the stickiness does too. I apply it mainly on my legs about half an hour before bed and I haven't woken up to blotchy sheets.
I'm hoping to find a less expensive alternative but if I don't, I'll repurchase this or try the Clarins delicious self tanning cream.

on 5/11/2015 4:15:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Pros: on me, this gave fast results (started developing color in a couple of hours), the color looked great on me, not orangebut a nice honey bronze color, and the smell was pleasant.

Cons: STICKY!!!! Feels sticky going on, stays sticky until you can get showered. In order to use up the tube I had (I certainly wasn't going to trash it due to the $$$) I would slather it on before I took the dog for a long walk. By the time I got back home, then got showered I had some color and could get the sticky washed off.

I've found that Clinique's self tanning gel is more effective, better price and not sticky.

on 4/22/2012 2:23:00 PM

I used to like this product as I though it provided me with a subtle and beautiful tan, but that was on the mirror. Until I saw myself in pictures and discovered that I was looking like an alligator...completely green!!. What a shame.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

So i've been using this product on and off for a few years and i kind of developed a pattern with it. (BTW I speak french so don't mind my spelling) Everytime i use it for the first time it turns out great, a beautiful golden color that looks very natural on me, better than the tantowels plus. It also lasts a full week without becoming gross. (you do have to be very carefull how you apply) The problem is that as soon as you layer it, it turns a yucky uneven orange color. Like i applied some on saturday and it looked so good, i received tons of compliment. I thought it had faded by tuesday (yesterday) so i applied more for an event that i have. This morning i woke up and its gross looking! It always happen to me and now i really got the lesson. So if you want a light tan but don't intend to layer, this is good for you. But if you want more, i would recommand buying something else. Oh and when you apply, exfoliate a lot before, put gloves and rub moisturizer on knees, feet, elbows and hand before AND after application. Good luck!

I was about to buy this product but I thought I'd check with makeup alley first! I need a self tanner for my face but my combination skin breaks out easily with a lot of them. The Olay one I'm about to throw out is particularly bad, the Lancome Flash Bronzer gel is ok but smells. Any recommondations? Thanks!

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I love this! I have tried quite a few self-tanners, and this is by far the best one yet! All of the people who have left comments pertaining to an "awful" smell obviously haven't tried many self-tanners because this one actually has a nice scent compared to others. I have found that you do not have to use a whole lot of this stuff per application, just using a small amount goes far! I recommend this to anyone wanting to give themself a beautiful, sunkissed glow. : )

EDIT: I'm sorry. I had to lower my rating from a 5 to a 3. Over time, this seems to be showing up more orange than anything on my skin. I have switched to St. Tropez Bronzing Mousse.

on 11/2/2010 6:35:00 AM

On the more expensive side but worth it. I apply it to my arms and legs and the colour is very believable. I like the texture of this product and it is not messy. The only negatives are a slight fake tan smell and a highish price.

Hair: Black, Other, Fine

This product is not tinted but the application is smooth and even. I never have problems with streaking. It has the typical self tanner smell but its not strong to me. To avoid uneven tan, scrub your skin before applying and the color is quite natural and develops very quickly over the night. I use this on my face and neck only because its so expensive.

Product description mentions this product performs best within 6 months of opening. Quite true, by 8th month, it doesn't seem to work much anymore.

Beautiful self tanner.....really! Fabulous color after just one application...makes me feel like I've been to the beach for the day overnight! Love it and once again, would have never tried if it weren't for wonderful MUA reviewers....thank you!!!!!