CLARINS Gelee Auto Bronzant Express - Self-Tanning Instant Gel

Gelee Auto Bronzant Express - Self-Tanning Instant Gel

3.7

on 4/1/2018 11:51:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I love the color results! Nice subtle color that didn't look fake and lasted about 3 days. I applied with my hands and afterwards washed my hands with regular hand soap and didn't notice any staining. I also didn't notice any color transfer to my sheets or clothing. It did seem to take a long time to soak in, like 20 - 30 mins, before my skin didn't feel tacky. It's expensive for a self-tan product, but if you buy Clarins products then it's about what you'd expect to pay. The only thing I really couldn't tolerate was the smell; it's very strong at first and to me is a combination of strong perfume and tanning chemical. I have found other products I like just as much, with a more pleasant smell and much lower cost.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

This is a sticky smelly product. I can't even comment it's performance because I couldn't bear the smell and the fact that it wasn't drying. Washed it off, returned the tube.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

I said yes to repurchasing this product but with hesitation (I wish there were an option for that) because of the price tag in comparison to the amount of product.
Clarins is known for their self tanners and this one lives up to the hype.
If you can get past that horrible self tanner smell and the stickiness, this product gives a nice subtle tan that doesn't look orange.
The smell does dissipate and the stickiness does too. I apply it mainly on my legs about half an hour before bed and I haven't woken up to blotchy sheets.
I'm hoping to find a less expensive alternative but if I don't, I'll repurchase this or try the Clarins delicious self tanning cream.

on 12/4/2012 6:15:00 AM

This is the first time I'm commenting on Makeupalley. And I just had to make a review on this product because it is a HUGE favorite of mine.

I think the divided opinions on this tanner might be because it has different results on different hair/skin types. I am a light skinned natural blonde, and for me this tanner is just PERFECT. I feel like a bombshell everytime I use it! It just gives me this perfect natural, golden brown color as if I've been to the beach every day for a week. I think the perfect color comes out when I've used the cream for 2-3 days in a rode, but that is just my personal taste.

I do agree that the smell is a bit strange, but its definitely not a bad smell. My boyfriend even says I smell wonderfully after I put this cream on! and I do think the smell is much less intense the morning after. I usually put it on in the evening and shower it off in the morning, that way any possible smell is gone when you're off for work or school.

There are so many things I like about this product - it's so difficult to get a bad result! I never get streaks or uneven color, or spots on my hands for example. Also, the cream leaves my skin really really smooth. I have acne prone skin, and I don't get breakouts from using this on my face.

I've even got compliments from people about my "lovely color" when I've been using it. No one believes me when I say I use a self tanner!

So - my conclusion is that if you're a blonde with light skin - you might want to try this out!! It works wonders for me!

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

So i've been using this product on and off for a few years and i kind of developed a pattern with it. (BTW I speak french so don't mind my spelling) Everytime i use it for the first time it turns out great, a beautiful golden color that looks very natural on me, better than the tantowels plus. It also lasts a full week without becoming gross. (you do have to be very carefull how you apply) The problem is that as soon as you layer it, it turns a yucky uneven orange color. Like i applied some on saturday and it looked so good, i received tons of compliment. I thought it had faded by tuesday (yesterday) so i applied more for an event that i have. This morning i woke up and its gross looking! It always happen to me and now i really got the lesson. So if you want a light tan but don't intend to layer, this is good for you. But if you want more, i would recommand buying something else. Oh and when you apply, exfoliate a lot before, put gloves and rub moisturizer on knees, feet, elbows and hand before AND after application. Good luck!

on 4/28/2010 9:59:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

OK, this is the first and only self tanner iíve ever tried, so...
I have pasty white legs and no plans to sun bathe, but summerís coming, and i want to look less larval. I figured iíd test this before my legs might be visible when itís warmer. I exfoliated my legs in the shower before my first application, as recommended. I read how horrible self tanners smell, but this wasnít so terrible and the chemical scent went away fairly quickly. I applied it as suggested, with my hands, using circular motions, and i had no obvious streaking. It dried fairly quickly and didnít rub off on my clothes. It made my skin slightly less white. A week or so later, i applied a second coat without showering or exfoliating first. Still no streaking, and the skin on my legs is now a nice golden color. Not quite my natural tan color, but definitely not orange. Iím satisfied.

on 12/30/2009 10:10:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

If you can handle the smell which reminds me of Avon's Skin So Soft, this product is great, but if like me, you find it offensive then you probably won't like this.

The color of the tan is awesome, more of a very slight and natural pink shade added to the tan instead of an orange tint that is produced from similar products. I found that the tan is a bit more gradual and you may need to use 2 applications to get the desired tan but that seemed to also make it appear more natural with a healthy glow.

It is quick drying, no sticky legs or arms and no worries of product wearing off on your clothes which was a huge plus. I also didn't notice the scaly dry skin that other self tanners can produce.

I really wish they would change the scent of this. It is an expensive product that smells cheap and overbearing :(. I simply could not get past the smell.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Yuck! This product smells so nasty. I was so gutted when I went to apply because I had spent so much money on it. I wore it once & someone actually commented on the strange smell & they weren't even standing that close.

Best self-tanner ever. It shows up completely even, streak-free and very natural looking. The smell is different than other self-tanners but still stinky in my opinion. I will continue to buy this although it's a little pricey, about $32 on Clarins website. Other self-tanners are a joke to me compared to this stuff.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Best self-tanner there is!!!!! I have used this for several months now and I still love the color it gives me (natural looking brownish-yellow tan color). It gives me that glow and everybody keeps asking me if I was in the sun! It is easy to apply, dries a lot quicker than other self-tanners, doesn't smell too bad and makes my skin soft too! Love, love, love it! Thank you Clarins!!