CLARINS Gelee Auto Bronzant Express - Self-Tanning Instant Gel

Filtered by skin type : Acne-prone
CLARINS Gelee Auto Bronzant Express - Self-Tanning Instant Gel
Gelee Auto Bronzant Express - Self-Tanning Instant Gel

3.5

This product might be good for very fair people, but it does nothing for me. My skin is NC 25/30 in Mac and I put this on at night and the next morning there is a HINT of color on me - I applied again the next night to get darker and I detected a tinge of orange. The smell is really strong - worse I think than Jergen’s tanner. Both get me the same shade after one night so you might as well just use Jergen’s because it’s $20 cheaper than the Clarins. I will use the rest of this tanner for my face only - that’s the only good thing about it is that it gives my face a hint of a tan and doesn’t break me out. My favorite self-tanners are Jergen’s wet skin lotion in medium to dark (no tanner smell and is pretty strong for a gradual tanner), L’Oreal Sublime Bronze in Deep, and Tanwise one hour tan lotion. I have no positive recommendations for high end ones because every single one I’ve tried from Tarte to FakeBake have made me itch severely.

on 10/26/2011 4:34:00 PM

Struggled to tolerate the (overpowering) smell with this product. In the end, the smell was a deal-breaker, even though the tanning result was welcomed (light, natural). Pity, really.

on 3/6/2010 9:30:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

This is my favorite self tanner. Great tan color (no orange hue) with even results. While it still smells like self tanner, it's not nearly as bad as some other brands.

It's expensive, so I reserve this for my face or for special occasions (and I can't afford a mistake). For everyday body use, I use L'Oreal self tanning gel.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Yuck! This product smells so nasty. I was so gutted when I went to apply because I had spent so much money on it. I wore it once & someone actually commented on the strange smell & they weren't even standing that close.

Pros:
The smell is unlike other ST's
First application turns out great

Cons:
It's a gel.
Every application after the first doesn't look so good.
In natural lighting (outside) the color looks very uneven
Doesn't last very long
Feels like it never dries
Makes skin feel greasy

I really liked this product the first time I applied it but it went downhill after the first time. I exfoliated and moisturized before applying but still kept getting an uneven color.

Best self-tanner ever. It shows up completely even, streak-free and very natural looking. The smell is different than other self-tanners but still stinky in my opinion. I will continue to buy this although it's a little pricey, about $32 on Clarins website. Other self-tanners are a joke to me compared to this stuff.

on 5/12/2009 11:16:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

This stuff is pretty great. I have medium Asian skin that tans fairly well but, for some reason, my legs arent able to hold a suntan. I use this chiefly on my legs so that they will match the rest of me. I use it 2 days in a row before bed so I can wash it off in the morning. This gives me a nice, natural-looking, tawny shade. Its very close to the (natural) color on my arms. Then, I put on another coat a few days later just for maintenance.

The downside: like other reviewers have mentioned, it takes a LONG time to dry. Longer than anything Ive used from Loreal or Neutrogena. It takes almost an hour to finally feel like its about to dry. I definitely would not use this in the morning right before dressing. The smell doesnt seem any worse or any stronger than other self-tanners.

on 2/21/2009 10:57:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

As I write this I have had this self tanner on my body for almost 2 hours and its still tacky sticky and NOT dry yet! It also smells REALLY bad. This is more like a lotion/gel not a true gel.
I will update in the morning on the color.........so far not impressed.....I need something that dries in a few minutes not 2 hours! It is also more on the greasy side. I think I like a foam better because it dries faster.
UPDATE: Morning now and 1 coat later Im pretty orangey, Id like to be more of a peachy brown. It did not streak or cause irritation.
Will not repurchase, going to try st. tropez next........

on 8/1/2008 2:40:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

LOVE this product! Never streaks. Leaves you bronze, NOT orange and dries fairly quickly! Also doesn't stain your clothes! And the smell, or the lack of is amazing! only con? the price! but definitely worth it in my opinion. i always use it before an event to make me look extra tan. :)

on 5/14/2008 10:18:00 PM

Okay so this is my latest foray into the world of self-tanners, it being almost summer and all. Since I live in Hawaii, EVERYONE has a tan, but I'm unfortunately ghostly white with freckles and can only burn. Plus I don't want skin cancer so I slather on the SPF before seeing sunlight. So on my latest trip to Nordstrom I picked this up after no stores in the local mall carried St. Tropez... the suck of living on an island. :( The SA recommended this saying it was "the closest to St Tropez" and blah blah blah. WRONG. I'm ghostly white, glow in the dark, and after slathering this all over my body and waiting the 3+ hours... WHAT TAN? I look almost exactly the same. I mean seriously! At 30 dollars, I'd expect some results. If this makes no difference on me, I can't imagine it working on anyone else! So I'm going back to Nordstrom with this P.O.S. "tanner" to get my 30 dollars back!!! SO not worth it, I'm ordering St Tropez online now. (ps you can get it really cheap at wwwdotmassagewarehousedotcom!)

I could only see this tanner as good for someone who wants a VERY slight change... it's not streaky, application is pretty fool-proof and the color looks natural but I'm still pale! For the price, not worth it.